[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
BBC: Honda set to close Swindon factory in 2022
More.......................
Nikkei: Honda enters agreement with CATL for battery supply contract through 2027
Acura Marks 30 Years Since Debut of Iconic NSX Supercar
American Honda reports January sales
Acura Marks 15th Anniversary of Super Handling All-Wheel Drive™
Honda releases pricing and EPA information for 2019 Passport
American Honda Reports December Sales
American Honda Reports November Sales
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2019 Pre-Season Testing - Days 1-4
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Swindon in peril
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: 2020 Honda Fit Render
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Kandi EV Approved for US
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda Loses a $38 Million Liability Lawsuit
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: DC-R
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Timid AHM marketing
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Poor reliability scores for Honda and Acura
Join Discussion......
TOV Asia --> Re: Honda JP Sales 2018: Hybrids make up 55% of reg. cars
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda's new sub-brand Honda e
Join Discussion......
Amateur Racing & Driving --> Re: My first helmet !
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: Honda closing UK plant that builds the Type R
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Original NSX prototype only had a SOHC V6 without VTEC
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Rumours that Honda will close its Swindon plant
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Sunny came home with a mission
Join Discussion......
2019 Honda Passport PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
2019 Acura NSX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura ILX
2019 Acura ILX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Pilot
2019 Honda Pilot PR Photo Gallery

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > General Talk > > Re: 2016 Honda Pilot spy pics

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
longhorn
Profile for longhorn
2016 Honda Pilot spy pics    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-09-2014 10:44
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
From a S2000 fan site (who knew they had one?)

http://s2000.com/forums/off-topic/20238-mule-in-death-valley-last-weekend.html

Is it really 118 at Death Valley? Here in Texas we get "feel like" temps that high, but never actual temperature at 118 degrees.

sadlerau
Profile for sadlerau
Re: 2016 Honda Pilot spy pics    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-09-2014 18:57
Oh yeah, was visiting there in August 2010, and the asphalt was melting under my feet! Felt hotter than that as well!
owequitit
Profile for owequitit
Re: 2016 Honda Pilot spy pics    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-09-2014 19:41
118 is not an uncommon temperature in Death Valley. I am from that region, and have personally seen just shy of 130* in the summer.

Texas humidity is ugly, but I don't find it any less tolerable than the desert SW temps, especially during monsoon season when the desert is also extremely humid.

owequitit
Profile for owequitit
Re: 2016 Honda Pilot spy pics    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-09-2014 19:43
118 isn't bad for that time of year. Being from that region, I have personally seen almost 130*F. Texas is generally more humid, but not any less tolerable than the desert SW in summertime. Especially during monsoon season when the deserts can get oppressively humid as well.
iutodd
Profile for iutodd
Re: 2016 Honda Pilot spy pics    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-09-2014 19:48
Not much to see - but it mostly confirms my belief that the front will look a LOT like the X-RV:

The split headlamps and turn signals, the implied shape of the grille - even the implied shape of the surround of the turn signal lights and the opening in the center bottom of the front. It's gonna look like that.

BTW: How good does that XR-V front look? Pretty good to me.

Torino R72P
Profile for Torino R72P
Re: 2016 Honda Pilot spy pics    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-09-2014 21:46
iutodd wrote:
Not much to see - but it mostly confirms my belief that the front will look a LOT like the X-RV:

The split headlamps and turn signals, the implied shape of the grille - even the implied shape of the surround of the turn signal lights and the opening in the center bottom of the front. It's gonna look like that.

BTW: How good does that XR-V front look? Pretty good to me.
I agree. Man, that's the best adaptation of the winged Honda grille that I've ever seen! Super classy and upscale without being overwrought or garish. Flows nicely with the headlights too. Still not sold on that off-black bumper, I think a piano black finish would have gone a long way but oh well. Looks like the same plastic as the bumper on a 2001 Toyota Echo.

I wonder what headlights they're going to use on the new Pilot. I figure HIDs on at least some models, maybe LED units on the Touring trim. The Ody doesn't have full LEDs yet, but then again that van's refresh is two years old. Also very curious about the screen layout; the spy shots indicated a single screen.

chhan02
Profile for chhan02
Re: 2016 Honda Pilot spy pics    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-09-2014 22:28
They need to bring this to the USA. Looks really good to me, too.
chhan02
Profile for chhan02
Re: 2016 Honda Pilot spy pics    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-09-2014 22:30
The front end on the spy shots looks promising (even though we can't see much lol).
I think Honda has a winner with this Pilot.

Mechanic
Profile for Mechanic
Re: 2016 Honda Pilot spy pics    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-10-2014 06:31
longhorn wrote:
From a S2000 fan site (who knew they had one?)
. . . .

Of topic, but the S2000 site with gravitas is www.s2ki.com.

S600=Dream
Profile for S600=Dream
Re: 2016 Honda Pilot spy pics    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-11-2014 22:16

Too much similarity for my taste.

Why does everything have to look identical these days?

I like the blocky, sort of doofy looking current Pilot if, for nothing else, not looking like every other crossover.

sadlerau
Profile for sadlerau
Re: 2016 Honda Pilot spy pics    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-11-2014 23:02
I'm not meaning to be critical, but if you believe the 2 vehicles above are similar in styling you must learn to look with your eyes, not your mind.

Something young Architecture students are taught very early in their education is to learn to see what the eye is seeing, not what the mind thinks the eye is seeing!

In the photos above, the only thing the vehicles have in common, styling wise, is they are small SUVs. If you actually use your eyes, you will see that every line and surface sculptured on those 2 vehicles are fundamentally different. IMHO of course :)

BG
Profile for BG
Re: 2016 Honda Pilot spy pics    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-12-2014 04:32
^Could've been worse, they both could've been white!!
Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: 2016 Honda Pilot spy pics    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-12-2014 05:43
sadlerau wrote:
I'm not meaning to be critical, but if you believe the 2 vehicles above are similar in styling you must learn to look with your eyes, not your mind.

Something young Architecture students are taught very early in their education is to learn to see what the eye is seeing, not what the mind thinks the eye is seeing!

In the photos above, the only thing the vehicles have in common, styling wise, is they are small SUVs. If you actually use your eyes, you will see that every line and surface sculptured on those 2 vehicles are fundamentally different. IMHO of course :)

Exactly. Unless cataracts is an excuse...or Philistinism.

Although that said, the optical trick is to make everything echo the very-successful Evoque, as that's the current 'me-too' CUV of the moment.

So there are current fads; common types of line (the LR-esque grille outline) and bone lines are in and swage lines out, for example. Except the HR- & XR- V's which offer an option of bone or swage line sides respectively...

danielgr
Profile for danielgr
Re: 2016 Honda Pilot spy pics    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-12-2014 05:50
sadlerau wrote:

+1

4thaccord
Profile for 4thaccord
Re: 2016 Honda Pilot spy pics    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-12-2014 07:25
The windshields are similar in shape.

The side mirrors are similar in shape.

The headlights are similar in shape (compared to jewel eye headlights or Jeep headlights).

The line where the hood meets the lights and grille is similar in shape.

The slope underneath the lights and grille is similar in shape.

The bottom of the front spoiler area is similar in shape.

Compared to other vehicles in this class or any class, these 2 are similar. Not identical, similar. They look more like each other than a Ford Escape, for example.

Why anyone would feel it necessary to ridicule another on whether or not THEY thought they are similar is the real question.

K22A
Profile for K22A
Re: 2016 Honda Pilot spy pics    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-12-2014 07:45
danielgr wrote:
sadlerau wrote:

+1

+2

TurkMan71
Profile for TurkMan71
Re: 2016 Honda Pilot spy pics    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-12-2014 07:51
The main similarity that stands out to me is the "wing face" headlight/grille combo...that and the shape of the lower bumper center air inlet...but these elements are hardly signature styling pieces (no matter what Honda tries to tell us).

If anything Kia has more resemblance to its family via the Kia tiger kinked grille...

Midi_Amp
Profile for Midi_Amp
Re: 2016 Honda Pilot spy pics    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-12-2014 08:31
Guess which model year this Civic is from? If anything, it's Kia whom stole Honda design...

But seriously, quit it with the "this thing looks like X", because well... Sadlerau had drilled and hot pressed that answer down. This is the same thing that happened to motorcycle especially with its slimmed and narrow profile. To the unknown, all bikes looks the same. The aggressive fairings, the sharp hood, the the headlights, unless it has a big Yamaha/Honda/Suzuki, the mainstream won't know which is which.

A car is a big canvass for designers to flex its muscle. They can choose hohum design as not to offend anyone (hello Acura) or they can choose design that is holy shit insane mecha godzilla melting robot kind of thing (hello Lexus). Kia is going for the simple but blingy, the XR-V and all of China domestic market exclusive seems to be going for the simple but weird... Too much thick horizontal lines for me... But taste is different for everybody, me, I don't like the XR-V. It gives the car a tooth brace look.

CVCC1974
Profile for CVCC1974
Re: 2016 Honda Pilot spy pics    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-12-2014 13:50
Honda already used that headlights 'design language' since the 2003 JDM & Asian market Odyssey (then the Euro Accord/TSX, TL, Civic, etc. got the similar design).

In 2003, Kia's design was still like this :)

HONDA AFVM
Profile for HONDA AFVM
Re: 2016 Honda Pilot spy pics    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-12-2014 14:19
4thaccord wrote:
The windshields are similar in shape.

The side mirrors are similar in shape.

The headlights are similar in shape (compared to jewel eye headlights or Jeep headlights).

The line where the hood meets the lights and grille is similar in shape.

The slope underneath the lights and grille is similar in shape.

The bottom of the front spoiler area is similar in shape.

Compared to other vehicles in this class or any class, these 2 are similar. Not identical, similar. They look more like each other than a Ford Escape, for example.

Why anyone would feel it necessary to ridicule another on whether or not THEY thought they are similar is the real question.

Carmen Electra and Fergie Duhamel (Fergie) are both similar in age, size and build, but they sure look different AS the 2 pictures of the cars look completely different.....They are both woman, smart as HELL, darker skin, blondish hair, boobs, butt, legs a lot alike, but both are very different.....

TurkMan71
Profile for TurkMan71
Re: 2016 Honda Pilot spy pics    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-12-2014 14:56

TurkMan71 wrote:
If anything Kia has more resemblance to its family via the Kia tiger kinked grille...

Midi_Amp wrote:
Guess which model year this Civic is from? If anything, it's Kia whom stole Honda design...

You misunderstood me. Yes, Honda may have come up with that look first but Kia uses it more uniformly across the board in its line-up to give their cars a distinct Kia family look (all over the world), again, especially with their tiger grille. Where as Honda uses it in some markets but not others, on some car lines but not all (don't get me started on ROW Acura as Hondas) ...I do think Honda is finally getting it though and the "wingface" is starting to be a Honda trademark...it just gets all watered down and funky when there are different versions of that face for China, US, Russia, Europe, Japan, Brazil, etc.

Kia has been consistent (since hiring that Audi designer), Honda has not...

ciwai08
Profile for ciwai08
Re: 2016 Honda Pilot spy pics    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-12-2014 15:17
K22A wrote:
danielgr wrote:
sadlerau wrote:

+1

+2

-8 ÷ 2.365

Midi_Amp
Profile for Midi_Amp
Re: 2016 Honda Pilot spy pics    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-12-2014 21:03
TurkMan71 wrote:

TurkMan71 wrote:

Midi_Amp wrote:

You misunderstood me. Yes, Honda may have come up with that look first but Kia uses it more uniformly across the board in its line-up to give their cars a distinct Kia family look (all over the world), again, especially with their tiger grille. Where as Honda uses it in some markets but not others, on some car lines but not all (don't get me started on ROW Acura as Hondas) ...I do think Honda is finally getting it though and the "wingface" is starting to be a Honda trademark...it just gets all watered down and funky when there are different versions of that face for China, US, Russia, Europe, Japan, Brazil, etc.

Honda design "inconsistency" stems from the company creed. If you read Honda (the company) history in any form, you know that they deliberately design the cars to cater to its demographics. The design director has an input to all of the car designs, but only an input. The bulk of the design goes to the team which usually gets showcased on Honda website.

I like my car to be personally designed, not just a bigger/smaller version of one design. Yesterday I saw a bulbous Kia Rio... And if I'm not mistaken Kia Rio isn't that big. Not until I get closer I saw the badge... Ow, it's a Carens (Rondo). Same thing with Audi, out of a glance, I couldn't discern A4 an A6 from the back. Minus a second exhaust tip, straight trunk liner or not and the size, both cars are nearly identical from the back.

Mercedes pulls individuality on its design better, so does Jaguar even though they pull the same design approach (smaller/bigger of the same thing).

TurkMan71
Profile for TurkMan71
Re: 2016 Honda Pilot spy pics    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-12-2014 22:03
Midi_Amp wrote:
TurkMan71 wrote:

TurkMan71 wrote:

Midi_Amp wrote:

Honda design "inconsistency" stems from the company creed. If you read Honda (the company) history in any form, you know that they deliberately design the cars to cater to its demographics. The design director has an input to all of the car designs, but only an input. The bulk of the design goes to the team which usually gets showcased on Honda website.

I like my car to be personally designed, not just a bigger/smaller version of one design. Yesterday I saw a bulbous Kia Rio... And if I'm not mistaken Kia Rio isn't that big. Not until I get closer I saw the badge... Ow, it's a Carens (Rondo). Same thing with Audi, out of a glance, I couldn't discern A4 an A6 from the back. Minus a second exhaust tip, straight trunk liner or not and the size, both cars are nearly identical from the back.

Mercedes pulls individuality on its design better, so does Jaguar even though they pull the same design approach (smaller/bigger of the same thing).

I certainly don't agree with the "one sausage, different sizes" mentality of BMW or Audi - it can become a trap. Kia design has consistency but some against the grain hits like the Soul (but everyone still knows it's a Kia).

I'm familiar with Honda's philosophy, each time they try to reinvent the wheel, they get further and further away from what they were. It just hasn't worked for me on a lot of their designs of late...

iutodd
Profile for iutodd
Re: 2016 Honda Pilot spy pics    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-13-2014 00:11
It's funny because I think the reason why Honda design works for me is exactly what we are talking about.

I like how each new Honda design seems to go someplace completely new and stay exactly in the same place at the same time. The current Honda Accord is among the best designed vehicles you can buy - it's just an outstandingly balanced, attractive design that is definitely and definitively Honda while also being fresh and interesting. It doesn't necessarily look that much different than the Accord it replaced, but the more you look at it the more it becomes obvious how much better looking and better designed it is. I think the new Fit accomplishes much of the same things - I drive by a new Fit everyday so that helps.

TurkMan71
Profile for TurkMan71
Re: 2016 Honda Pilot spy pics    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-13-2014 08:03
iutodd wrote:
It's funny because I think the reason why Honda design works for me is exactly what we are talking about.

I like how each new Honda design seems to go someplace completely new and stay exactly in the same place at the same time. The current Honda Accord is among the best designed vehicles you can buy - it's just an outstandingly balanced, attractive design that is definitely and definitively Honda while also being fresh and interesting. It doesn't necessarily look that much different than the Accord it replaced, but the more you look at it the more it becomes obvious how much better looking and better designed it is. I think the new Fit accomplishes much of the same things - I drive by a new Fit everyday so that helps.

To each his/her own...

I can make my case using the exact same Accord you mentioned...understated, good proportions, a grille that won't distract - all very much Honda qualities of old. The new Fit on the other hand...no more 'j' curve greenhouse that was a signature of the brand since the intro of the car and that grille still reminds me of Japanese anime - all a little too forced, could have been way less fussy...

Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
30 mobile: 0