[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
BBC: Honda set to close Swindon factory in 2022
More.......................
Nikkei: Honda enters agreement with CATL for battery supply contract through 2027
Acura Marks 30 Years Since Debut of Iconic NSX Supercar
American Honda reports January sales
Acura Marks 15th Anniversary of Super Handling All-Wheel Drive™
Honda releases pricing and EPA information for 2019 Passport
American Honda Reports December Sales
American Honda Reports November Sales
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2019 Pre-Season Testing - Days 1-4
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Swindon in peril
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: 2020 Honda Fit Render
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Kandi EV Approved for US
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda Loses a $38 Million Liability Lawsuit
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: DC-R
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Timid AHM marketing
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Poor reliability scores for Honda and Acura
Join Discussion......
TOV Asia --> Re: Honda JP Sales 2018: Hybrids make up 55% of reg. cars
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda's new sub-brand Honda e
Join Discussion......
Amateur Racing & Driving --> Re: My first helmet !
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: Honda closing UK plant that builds the Type R
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Original NSX prototype only had a SOHC V6 without VTEC
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Rumours that Honda will close its Swindon plant
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Sunny came home with a mission
Join Discussion......
2019 Honda Passport PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
2019 Acura NSX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura ILX
2019 Acura ILX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Pilot
2019 Honda Pilot PR Photo Gallery

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > General Talk > > Re: Great story on Mountain road racing.

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
RolledaNsx
Profile for RolledaNsx
Great story on Mountain road racing.    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-11-2014 20:02
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
www.roadandtrack.com/features/ferrari-158-speciale-dragon

It's story about racing the Tail of the Dragon.

Great write up!

DCR
Profile for DCR
Re: Great story on Mountain road racing.    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-11-2014 20:07
You have a 1 in there in place of the 4.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/features/ferrari-458-speciale-dragon

RolledaNsx
Profile for RolledaNsx
Re: Great story on Mountain road racing.    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-11-2014 20:10
DCR wrote:
You have a 1 in there in place of the 4.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/features/ferrari-458-speciale-dragon

sadlerau
Profile for sadlerau
Re: Great story on Mountain road racing.    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-11-2014 23:11
Save it for the track guys. By all means drive your car with precision, but driving well outside the law is foolhardy in this day and age - unfortunately.

None of us should condone public road racing, at any level.

RolledaNsx
Profile for RolledaNsx
Re: Great story on Mountain road racing.    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-11-2014 23:49
Yes it's bad but people been doing it since day one of the auto or even before with the horse and in a lot places in the US it is like going to Church on Sunday.

99% of the problems and deaths come from people who don't know want they are doing.We call them Saturday Night Specials.Young,Stupid,Know it All and because they own their very first hot car they think they can drive it at the limit like Senna without a lifetime of practice!

Growing up in SoCal I was brought up with street and desert racing.Thats where I learned my driving skills even before I had a license.Mini Bike racing at 5.

BG
Profile for BG
Re: Great story on Mountain road racing.    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-12-2014 05:11
Even the best still have their moments "RolledaNsx"
sadlerau
Profile for sadlerau
Re: Great story on Mountain road racing.    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-12-2014 22:30
BG wrote:

Ouch! :)

You can have some serious fun in an under powered sporty car, or even one that isn't even sporty, if you are just trying to enjoy your skills behind the wheel.

But I quickly realized, once I got my NSX, that at some point you just cannot afford to exercise the same freedoms in faster/more powerful cars.

Keeping in mind I had over twenty years successful motorsport experience behind me, but when you are approaching 160kph speeds in sweepers on public country roads, with on-coming traffic, feral animals and trees "just there" on the side of the road, not to mention the fuzz, the risk-benefit ratio plummets.

Or maybe I'm just getting old.

Hondatalover
Profile for Hondatalover
Re: Great story on Mountain road racing.    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-12-2014 22:47
sadlerau wrote:
BG wrote:

You can have some serious fun in an under powered sporty car, or even one that isn't even sporty, if you are just trying to enjoy your skills behind the wheel.

But I quickly realized, once I got my NSX, that at some point you just cannot afford to exercise the same freedoms in faster/more powerful cars.

Keeping in mind I had over twenty years successful motorsport experience behind me, but when you are approaching 160kph speeds in sweepers on public country roads, with on-coming traffic, feral animals and trees "just there" on the side of the road, not to mention the fuzz, the risk-benefit ratio plummets.

I'm 18 and feel that way. My friends hate me because I'm always bitching at them because of their habits and invincible attitudes. Lost 3 people due to car accidents last year at school. We loose at least someone every year unfortunately.

One of my good friends has a '93 Jeep. 5 speed. Really nice. he thinks he's a race care driver sometimes. One of those times ended with us wrapped around a pole in the middle of a field during a pouring down thunderstorm and a missing soft top 40 minutes from home with almost dead phones and neither of us told our parents what we were doing after school (A quick, innocent doughnut run turned into a looonnngg day).

Neither of us were hurt. At all. The Jeep was. So were our feelings because we almost killed each other over how stupid what had happened was for what reason. We're fine now but I still bitch at him for some things he does when behind the wheel. A true best friend I have to say and I don't want to loose him as anyone wouldn't want to loose someone that close and loved. So I try hard to prevent it without being crazy.

We're young. He has a new Jeep. We all ( me too) make the mistakes and will continue to do so, but I always try to talk sense before hand and after thinking it helps.

With that said I still put the hammer down in the TSX..... but I do so on roads I know where I can see ahead and to the sides and conditions that are fine for it while no one is in front or behind or with me. But that doesn't make it ok. Just more understandable.

RolledaNsx
Profile for RolledaNsx
Re: Great story on Mountain road racing.    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-12-2014 22:49
sadlerau wrote:
BG wrote:

That happen on track while testing a new racecar.

And there is two types of street racing.

1)What the guys are doing for that story.It's more a time trial and at a time when almost no one is on the road and there is no traffic inlets or cross traffic during the route.

1b)Also street drags at closed roads or parking lots at off hours.

2)Street racing with normal traffic on public roads at high traffic routes or drunk.

#1 happens all the time in the US with every little problems except the law.
#2 should never happen!

hokievtec
Profile for hokievtec
Re: Great story on Mountain road racing.    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-12-2014 23:52
Me and my friends do the same thing. College aged, we have cars, we go driving. Do we do stupid things? Yes. Will we always? Probably. Do we make sure no one else is around? As best as we can! Do we try to be as safe as possible on drives? Without a doubt.

Let's be real here. We are young, we are going to have those moments of 'young adult brilliance,' but, at the same time, we have to learn somehow.

Unfortunately, it takes some first hand experience (sometimes repeatedly) to learn a lesson. But we all hope that it is nothing too serious.

Grace141
Profile for Grace141
Re: Great story on Mountain road racing.    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-13-2014 07:23
RolledaNsx wrote:
Yes it's bad but people been doing it since day one of the auto or even before with the horse and in a lot places in the US it is like going to Church on Sunday.

99% of the problems and deaths come from people who don't know want they are doing.We call them Saturday Night Specials.Young,Stupid,Know it All and because they own their very first hot car they think they can drive it at the limit like Senna without a lifetime of practice!

Growing up in SoCal I was brought up with street and desert racing.Thats where I learned my driving skills even before I had a license.Mini Bike racing at 5.

Well, there was Senna and then there is everyone else. We're all Saturday Night Specials, most of us not even of .38 caliber. I think it's very telling that most of the professional drivers drive very carefully when on public roads.

The Tail of the Dragon road is a lot of fun but it's no track and there is no room for big mistakes. It's great for a solid 9/10ths run but leave the time trials for the track. I bet we saw 200 cars when we drove the road during a weekday afternoon and every driver seemed to be respecting the road while having fun.

RolledaNsx
Profile for RolledaNsx
Re: Great story on Mountain road racing.    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-13-2014 10:49
Grace141 wrote:
RolledaNsx wrote:

Well, there was Senna and then there is everyone else. We're all Saturday Night Specials, most of us not even of .38 caliber. I think it's very telling that most of the professional drivers drive very carefully when on public roads.

The Tail of the Dragon road is a lot of fun but it's no track and there is no room for big mistakes. It's great for a solid 9/10ths run but leave the time trials for the track. I bet we saw 200 cars when we drove the road during a weekday afternoon and every driver seemed to be respecting the road while having fun.

We all are not Saturday Night Specials but some of us have Hot Saturday Night Specials in the Garage.That would be any of those 200 drivers who would take the Tail of the Dragon at a solid 9/10ths on a weekday afternoon...that would just be pure stupid.

My Sunday drive car is a P1 and my 458 is at the moment being turn into a track car to replace my 430.

Grace141
Profile for Grace141
Re: Great story on Mountain road racing.    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-14-2014 10:05
RolledaNsx wrote:
Grace141 wrote:
RolledaNsx wrote:

We all are not Saturday Night Specials but some of us have Hot Saturday Night Specials in the Garage.That would be any of those 200 drivers who would take the Tail of the Dragon at a solid 9/10ths on a weekday afternoon...that would just be pure stupid.

My Sunday drive car is a P1 and my 458 is at the moment being turn into a track car to replace my 430.

http://winhpde.com/tenths-scale/

I'd say I just touch the 9/10ths scale at times but rarely. My Saturday Night Specials, as you call them, over the years haven't been track day cars because I use my cars for driving on regular roads but I enjoy fast sweeping curves on two-lanes and placing a car for S-bends and such.

What I didn't like about the Tail of the Dragon road was it was indeed like a compact autocross course so there was little variation in curves and not much variety. It reminded me of a slot-car track, for lack of a better analogy. Many of the inside curves at tight switchbacks result in the edges of the road surface being maybe 15-feet apart. Great if you do like throttle steering your car through curves but not so great if you prefer to save your tires, and downright boring when you're stuck behind ten slow cars. At two points I pulled to the side to let bikers pass because as boring as one stretch of traffic was for me I can't imagine what it was like on a sport bike.

The dragon stretch of 129 is fun, the area is beautiful, the people at Deals Gap were friendly. It's a great drive for a driving fan's to-do list. It's not my favorite drive of all time but it certainly ranks highly. It's a specific experience which should be included in a variety of driving experiences.

superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: Great story on Mountain road racing.    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-14-2014 10:28
RolledaNsx wrote:

My Sunday drive car is a P1

I was thinking that you had said that you sold the P1, even before you took delivery.

RolledaNsx
Profile for RolledaNsx
Re: Great story on Mountain road racing.    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-14-2014 10:39
superchg2 wrote:
RolledaNsx wrote:

My Sunday drive car is a P1

I was thinking that you had said that you sold the P1, even before you took delivery.

[/QUOTE

Changed my mind,couldn't get a La Ferrari.

Also most all the great mountain drive roads suck to drive because there are to many people driving them.It's no fun being stuck behind a bus or RV going 10mph!
(Transfagarasan,Stelvio Pass,Furka Pass,Tianmen Mountain Road)

Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
29 mobile: 0