[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
BBC: Honda set to close Swindon factory in 2022
More.......................
Nikkei: Honda enters agreement with CATL for battery supply contract through 2027
Acura Marks 30 Years Since Debut of Iconic NSX Supercar
American Honda reports January sales
Acura Marks 15th Anniversary of Super Handling All-Wheel Drive™
Honda releases pricing and EPA information for 2019 Passport
American Honda Reports December Sales
American Honda Reports November Sales
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2019 Pre-Season Testing - Days 1-4
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Swindon in peril
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: 2020 Honda Fit Render
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Kandi EV Approved for US
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda Loses a $38 Million Liability Lawsuit
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: DC-R
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Timid AHM marketing
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Poor reliability scores for Honda and Acura
Join Discussion......
TOV Asia --> Re: Honda JP Sales 2018: Hybrids make up 55% of reg. cars
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda's new sub-brand Honda e
Join Discussion......
Amateur Racing & Driving --> Re: My first helmet !
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: Honda closing UK plant that builds the Type R
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Original NSX prototype only had a SOHC V6 without VTEC
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Rumours that Honda will close its Swindon plant
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Sunny came home with a mission
Join Discussion......
2019 Honda Passport PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
2019 Acura NSX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura ILX
2019 Acura ILX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Pilot
2019 Honda Pilot PR Photo Gallery

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > General Talk > > Re: Wife and I test drove a TLX 4cyl with Tech pkg.

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1] 2
Author
  Post New Thread
Blue Boy
Profile for Blue Boy
Wife and I test drove a TLX 4cyl with Tech pkg.    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-20-2014 10:42
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Wife has a 2013 Sedan V6 EXL and I a 2011 Accord coupe V6 EXL automatic. So our thoughts are based on this background.

We spent a couple of hours with the car. Had I liked it there was a good chance I would have bought. The dealer was throwing in $1250 of extras and a couple of hundred dollars so he was motivated to sell since this is so new out.

To us the car came across as way under powered. It did not feel spirited. Even with the 8-spd auto. I guess I should have expected that coming from the V6's. If I were to buy one it would have to be the V6.

To us the TLX had a slightly cramped feeling compared with what we were used to. The driver's seat was comfortable enough except that it wasn't! The drivers cushion felt too short and I couldn't get comfortable. I'm 6'2". The 2013 Accord seat felt much more comfortable to me.

The TLX was quiet and rode well enough. Over concrete strips it was not noticeably quieter than our 2013 sedan but of course much quieter than my 2011. The TLX didn't feel very agile. Again maybe the V6 influence. It felt more closed in than our Hondas. Not much fun factor. I didn't drive it on any curvy roads so I didn't get to test handling on those roads. My driving is mostly interstate or town.

I wasn't totally happy with the tech pkg. Tech is actually broken into two parts with the advance pkg having about half of what should have been included in the tech pkg. It's not even available on the 4cyl. It's too expensive for what you get the way it is. Navigation is included and is worse than useless. Very unfriendly. Usable are the sound system and the blind spot indicators (lights and or sound) and the cross traffic system helpful for backing out of parking spots. But those don't measure up to all the extra cost.

All the controls are a total mess and very driver unfriendly. I can see lots of people wrecking when trying to use them. Even for simple stuff. Our 2013 Accord is somewhat that way too but it has larger buttons/controls and maybe not so many. Also various controls are located on the steering wheel, the console, and the dashboard.

I much prefer the spaciousness and room of the new Accord over the TLX. I also think the Accord looks better and is about as quiet. The looks preference is personal I know. Two out of two of us felt that way though. (probably a too small of sample size to be meaningful.) :>)

Even if one goes all out and buys the v6 with both tech pkgs. and all those great trimmings the car will still feel more cramped than the Accord with a less airy interior.

For us not buying this Acura was a no-brainer.

shingles
Profile for shingles
Re: Wife and I test drove a TLX 4cyl with Tech pkg.    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-20-2014 10:50
Interesting you found the TLX 4 to be "not spirited" when compared to the V6 Accord Sedan. We have a 13 touring and I can tell you the Accord sedan with stock tires is anything BUT spirited. It's a very nice ride, but super (technical term coming) "squishy". It wasn't till we upgraded to a set of 18's with some real tires that the car became, well I don't want to use sporty because it's still far from it, but I will say not squishy. I know most of the reviews have said the TLX in the 4 is very sporting. Not in the market for a car now, so I won't be driving one. We are happy with the Accord. Just found your review interesting. I do agree the accord looks really good.
Blue Boy
Profile for Blue Boy
Re: Wife and I test drove a TLX 4cyl with Tech pkg.    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-20-2014 10:55
It felt heavy compared with either of our V6's. 206 hp in a heavy car doesn't go very far.
6SPDTL
Profile for 6SPDTL
Re: Wife and I test drove a TLX 4cyl with Tech pkg.    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-20-2014 12:21
Did you use the IDS? My drive on the 6 fwd showed the sport settings to liven the handling noticeably. I also thought that the handling was ponderous in normal mode. In normal it felt like the car was reluctant to change lanes. The difference in power from 278 in the accord to 206 in the TLX is enormous, my guess is that you probably were missing a lot of the low down grunt of the v6, in the 4 the "juice" should be higher up in the revs. Honda claims more than a second improvement to 60 compared to the TLX, but the caveat to that is that the TLX particularly with the auto was sloooooow!
Blue Boy
Profile for Blue Boy
Re: Wife and I test drove a TLX 4cyl with Tech pkg.    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-20-2014 12:37
6SPDTL wrote:
Did you use the IDS? My drive on the 6 fwd showed the sport settings to liven the handling noticeably. I also thought that the handling was ponderous in normal mode. In normal it felt like the car was reluctant to change lanes. The difference in power from 278 in the accord to 206 in the TLX is enormous, my guess is that you probably were missing a lot of the low down grunt of the v6, in the 4 the "juice" should be higher up in the revs. Honda claims more than a second improvement to 60 compared to the TLX, but the caveat to that is that the TLX particularly with the auto was sloooooow!

My drive was very urban. I did try the different modes and the sports modes were pretty nice. A touch of throttle in gear you are driving in doesn't get much response like the V6. That is probably what I was noticing. I was expecting to be wowed and I was pretty badly let down. Wife felt so-so about it as well.

Brutus
Profile for Brutus
Re: Wife and I test drove a TLX 4cyl with Tech pkg.    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-20-2014 13:00
I just posted my own review. I can see where you would complain about the power coming from a v6 with gobs of torque, certainly if you are in urban driving. Look I wish it had more power, power is intoxicating, but then why look at the 2.4 with over 70 less hp.

Your comment about slightly cramped compared to what you were used to, well of course the Accord is huge, it is a different class, just know every car in the TLX class is this size, thus fits well.

I completely disagree with it being quieter, My mother owns a new Accord EXL and it is def not as quiet, the suspension also is not as good, now maybe your complaint relates to the engine, which you can hear in the 2.4, but I like that sound.

Disagree with seat, unless your Accords seat is different in the v6, I felt the accord was super flat and harder.

Disagree with your controls comment as well, not much different then an Accord except everything seemed nicer and better looking.

To me it sounds like the Accord is the perfect car for you, why bother with the TLX. The Accord is a very solid car, IMO just a bit bland and too big for my tastes, and there are 8 zillion on the road and not very sporty.

Want power try the S60 t5 with supercharged and turbo and you can feel all kinds of power :-)

B.

6SPDTL
Profile for 6SPDTL
Re: Wife and I test drove a TLX 4cyl with Tech pkg.    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-20-2014 13:10
Blue Boy wrote:
6SPDTL wrote:

My drive was very urban. I did try the different modes and the sports modes were pretty nice. A touch of throttle in gear you are driving in doesn't get much response like the V6. That is probably what I was noticing. I was expecting to be wowed and I was pretty badly let down. Wife felt so-so about it as well.

I should have a chance to drive an SHAWD next week. Since I'm a snowbelt guy I'm not interested in FWD. I'm also more interested on the RLX sport hybrid but since the car doesn't seem to materialize the TLX is an option, however, IMO, the interior of the TLX seems a little too downrent at the 50K range (once optioned out). At that price range little things like the lack of powered tilt steering wheel seem like glaring omissions.

Blue Boy
Profile for Blue Boy
Re: Wife and I test drove a TLX 4cyl with Tech pkg.    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-20-2014 14:01
6SPDTL wrote:
Blue Boy wrote:
6SPDTL wrote:

I should have a chance to drive an SHAWD next week. Since I'm a snowbelt guy I'm not interested in FWD. I'm also more interested on the RLX sport hybrid but since the car doesn't seem to materialize the TLX is an option, however, IMO, the interior of the TLX seems a little too downrent at the 50K range (once optioned out). At that price range little things like the lack of powered tilt steering wheel seem like glaring omissions.

If the interior had fit me a little better with a little longer seat bottom and 8-way passenger seat I would have a hard time resisting the V6 with the technology and advanced technology packages. As stands there is a little too much compromise among the 3 models replaced until none of them can be optimised. That's really too bad.

Blue Boy
Profile for Blue Boy
Re: Wife and I test drove a TLX 4cyl with Tech pkg.    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-20-2014 14:20
Brutus wrote:
I just posted my own review. I can see where you would complain about the power coming from a v6 with gobs of torque, certainly if you are in urban driving. Look I wish it had more power, power is intoxicating, but then why look at the 2.4 with over 70 less hp.

Your comment about slightly cramped compared to what you were used to, well of course the Accord is huge, it is a different class, just know every car in the TLX class is this size, thus fits well.

I completely disagree with it being quieter, My mother owns a new Accord EXL and it is def not as quiet, the suspension also is not as good, now maybe your complaint relates to the engine, which you can hear in the 2.4, but I like that sound.

Disagree with seat, unless your Accords seat is different in the v6, I felt the accord was super flat and harder.

Disagree with your controls comment as well, not much different then an Accord except everything seemed nicer and better looking.

To me it sounds like the Accord is the perfect car for you, why bother with the TLX. The Accord is a very solid car, IMO just a bit bland and too big for my tastes, and there are 8 zillion on the road and not very sporty.

Want power try the S60 t5 with supercharged and turbo and you can feel all kinds of power :-)

B.

If you will reread my post you'll see I didn't say the Accord was quieter. I said the difference was not very noticeable. That would be at urban speeds.

I've never heard the Accord seat to be described as flat and hard (2013). The 2011 yes. It is flat and hard. Which in the coupe is fine with me.

It may just be me but the controls in both cars are terrible and I wouldn't wish them on my worst enemy.

I like the amount of power I was used to. Not a whole lot less or excessive amounts. Just right suits me. I'm sure the V6 Acura would have been more than enough.

CarmB
Profile for CarmB
Re: Wife and I test drove a TLX 4cyl with Tech pkg.    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-20-2014 18:42
If the torque of a 6 and going mid-size rather than compact is your thing, obviously the Accord makes more sense.

If you need/want the interior of a mid-size sedan, right there the TLX is simply not for you nor is it meant to be. Also, driving style plays a role in determining if you will like driving the TLX, particularly the 4.

Quite simply, it doesn't look like you're the buyer that Acura has taken aim at with the TLX 4. The Accord, on the other hand, seems to check off a lot of the boxes that appear to matter to you.

It doesn't mean the Accord is superior to the TLX but rather that the Accord suits you more. It's a good thing in so much as there may be more of a place for the Accord 6 than I had presumed. Doesn't hurt Honda. It means more bases are covered and overall that translates to additional sales.

Blue Boy
Profile for Blue Boy
Re: Wife and I test drove a TLX 4cyl with Tech pkg.    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-20-2014 20:01
CarmB wrote:
If the torque of a 6 and going mid-size rather than compact is your thing, obviously the Accord makes more sense.

If you need/want the interior of a mid-size sedan, right there the TLX is simply not for you nor is it meant to be. Also, driving style plays a role in determining if you will like driving the TLX, particularly the 4.

Quite simply, it doesn't look like you're the buyer that Acura has taken aim at with the TLX 4. The Accord, on the other hand, seems to check off a lot of the boxes that appear to matter to you.

It doesn't mean the Accord is superior to the TLX but rather that the Accord suits you more. It's a good thing in so much as there may be more of a place for the Accord 6 than I had presumed. Doesn't hurt Honda. It means more bases are covered and overall that translates to additional sales.

I mentioned both Hondas only because I wanted to give my frame of reference. I'm not arguing they are "better" cars. That was never my intention. As it turns out it does suit us better. Nevertheless we were still disappointed in the TLX as an Acura. It's definitely not what I expected a premium car to be. The size was a big part of that. So were many of the design decisions that went into the new model

The Legend
Profile for The Legend
Re: Wife and I test drove a TLX 4cyl with Tech pkg.    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-20-2014 21:17
Blue Boy wrote:
Wife has a 2013 Sedan V6 EXL and I a 2011 Accord coupe V6 EXL automatic. So our thoughts are based on this background.

We spent a couple of hours with the car. Had I liked it there was a good chance I would have bought. The dealer was throwing in $1250 of extras and a couple of hundred dollars so he was motivated to sell since this is so new out.

To us the car came across as way under powered. It did not feel spirited. Even with the 8-spd auto. I guess I should have expected that coming from the V6's. If I were to buy one it would have to be the V6.

To us the TLX had a slightly cramped feeling compared with what we were used to. The driver's seat was comfortable enough except that it wasn't! The drivers cushion felt too short and I couldn't get comfortable. I'm 6'2". The 2013 Accord seat felt much more comfortable to me.

The TLX was quiet and rode well enough. Over concrete strips it was not noticeably quieter than our 2013 sedan but of course much quieter than my 2011. The TLX didn't feel very agile. Again maybe the V6 influence. It felt more closed in than our Hondas. Not much fun factor. I didn't drive it on any curvy roads so I didn't get to test handling on those roads. My driving is mostly interstate or town.

I wasn't totally happy with the tech pkg. Tech is actually broken into two parts with the advance pkg having about half of what should have been included in the tech pkg. It's not even available on the 4cyl. It's too expensive for what you get the way it is. Navigation is included and is worse than useless. Very unfriendly. Usable are the sound system and the blind spot indicators (lights and or sound) and the cross traffic system helpful for backing out of parking spots. But those don't measure up to all the extra cost.

All the controls are a total mess and very driver unfriendly. I can see lots of people wrecking when trying to use them. Even for simple stuff. Our 2013 Accord is somewhat that way too but it has larger buttons/controls and maybe not so many. Also various controls are located on the steering wheel, the console, and the dashboard.

I much prefer the spaciousness and room of the new Accord over the TLX. I also think the Accord looks better and is about as quiet. The looks preference is personal I know. Two out of two of us felt that way though. (probably a too small of sample size to be meaningful.) :>)

Even if one goes all out and buys the v6 with both tech pkgs. and all those great trimmings the car will still feel more cramped than the Accord with a less airy interior.

For us not buying this Acura was a no-brainer.

Did you bother switching on to Sport+?

If not, then it's no wonder "the car came across as way under powered" and "did not feel spirited".

CarmB
Profile for CarmB
Re: Wife and I test drove a TLX 4cyl with Tech pkg.    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-20-2014 23:08
Size?

There are premium products that come in different sizes. If size is a measure of quality, the Accord and many other mainstream mid-size/large sedans trump the entire premium compact segment.

It seems to me that you're finding fault with the very concept of a premium compact. It doesn't work for you and there's certainly nothing wrong with that. But I do think it unfair to be critical of the TLX for being what it is. By the standards of this class of car, the TLX isn't at all bad in terms of interior space. It is intended by design to be smaller than the Accord.

TurkMan71
Profile for TurkMan71
Re: Wife and I test drove a TLX 4cyl with Tech pkg.    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-20-2014 23:28
CarmB wrote:
Size?

There are premium products that come in different sizes. If size is a measure of quality, the Accord and many other mainstream mid-size/large sedans trump the entire premium compact segment.

It seems to me that you're finding fault with the very concept of a premium compact. It doesn't work for you and there's certainly nothing wrong with that. But I do think it unfair to be critical of the TLX for being what it is. By the standards of this class of car, the TLX isn't at all bad in terms of interior space. It is intended by design to be smaller than the Accord.

+1
I completely agree about the size issue but he has a point about the interior. Upward of 50g it shouldn't have off the shelf Honda two screen convoluted tech.

owequitit
Profile for owequitit
Re: Wife and I test drove a TLX 4cyl with Tech pkg.    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-21-2014 03:51
CarmB wrote:
Size?

But why would you buy a TLX when the Accord is priced several thousand lower, has a lot more power, the same features and is bigger, which means you get more space for less money?

See what I did there?

CarmB
Profile for CarmB
Re: Wife and I test drove a TLX 4cyl with Tech pkg.    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-21-2014 06:11
The pricier variant of the TLX is certainly in tough. It's an impressive sub-$40,000 option but once you move up the food chain, there's little doubt that there are some brilliant alternatives.
gofast182
Profile for gofast182
Re: Wife and I test drove a TLX 4cyl with Tech pkg.    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-21-2014 06:35
My review from a different thread (having already driven the V6): OK so I just test drove a 2.4 base. My impressions are as follows and I'll begin by saying there is a "but" coming.

Getting in the car the first thing I noticed was the non-Tech+ cars don't have the cool rimless rearview mirror. Second was the leatherette, it was not bad at all in both look and texture. A pleasant surprise, the only drawback is it's not perforated. My drive was in "Normal" the entire time, I switched it back after the salesman put it in "Econ" (WTF). The engine upon startup, idle, and low speeds did not feel any smoother or quieter than my '12 TSX. Hmm (scratches head). Road and wind noise were a lot less which was good. The trans. is lightning quick and I mean lightning. I have driven a GTI with DCT and this felt even quicker than that. Mighty impressive. It did try to upshift too soon when initially getting underway, but unfortunately I expect this from modern cars. Fortunately for us there is "Sport" mode which should cure that. The drive route was through a neighborhood and on a 4 lane highway that has traffic lights so I didn't really get to exercise the handling thus I cannot comment on that with any authority. I did feel P-AWS act on the car once and it was appropriate for the situation. And lastly: the wheels; yeah they pretty much suck balls in person, too.

All in all it was a very nice car but I wasn't as blown away by it as the reviews and excitement here led me to believe I would be (I confess I was partially expecting the second coming of the automobile after the hype). I came away thinking that the FWD V6 I drove is a better (more significant) replacement for FWD TL than the I4 is for the TSX, it's more incremental and that's not to say it's a bad thing.

CarmB
Profile for CarmB
Re: Wife and I test drove a TLX 4cyl with Tech pkg.    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-21-2014 06:38
owequitit wrote:
CarmB wrote:
Size?

But why would you buy a TLX when the Accord is priced several thousand lower, has a lot more power, the same features and is bigger, which means you get more space for less money?

See what I did there?

Nice try but the Accord doesn't match the TLX in terms of features and if you're saying this is the same as wondering why anyone would look at maybe a CLA vs. the TLX (to use an example), the CLA is a heavily compromised product, quite below Mercedes' usual high standards. Why pay more for a CLA when you really don't end up with a Mercedes in the best sense. That the TLX features a more accommodating back seat is strictly a bonus.

Besides there's compact and then there's cramped. Similarly priced competitors like the A3 and CLA verge on cramped. Is cramped something a few curious souls might have a longing for? Perhaps. Myself, I'm sceptical that it's a significant group. For that segment, coupes would seem a better fit. You have to wonder what the point is to a sedan that really doesn't feature a reasonable back seat. I certainly doubt anyone is drawn to the CLA because it has a cramped interior. Live with the cramped accommodations? Absolutely. But a selling point?

Frogger
Profile for Frogger
Re: Wife and I test drove a TLX 4cyl with Tech pkg.    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-21-2014 07:43

We are now three cars removed from an Accord V6 and it's still making us pay to date... so so hard to ever go back to an i4 and be satisfied, save for the extra dinner's out courtesy of no speeding tickets. Sat in and explored the TLX (no drive) and have to agree that the driver seat seemed smaller than the Accord's by a bit, that will be thumbs down for me, thumbs up for the SO... We also have an Ody Touring and the tech is beyond the limit, as measured by having learned absolutely everything in the first 3 months, and not being able to retain even 25% of it and still cannot press most buttons without looking (always could do this in older Hondas). Wish I'd spent more time with the voice commands.... is this Honda's fault, not sure?

gofast182
Profile for gofast182
Re: Wife and I test drove a TLX 4cyl with Tech pkg.    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-21-2014 08:02
It's hard for me to believe I'm saying this because my driving preferences lend themselves to nimble, revvy cars but after driving the I4 TLX (and despite it's awesome transmission) I'm still thinking about the V6 despite it's off-the-line traction limitations. It just strikes me as more premium-feeling from the smooth power of the engine to the slick push button shifter.
4thaccord
Profile for 4thaccord
Re: Wife and I test drove a TLX 4cyl with Tech pkg.    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-21-2014 08:31
owequitit wrote:
CarmB wrote:
Size?

See what I did there?

Yes, everyone saw: you acted like a pompous, know-it-all dbag like always. Nothing new there.

Blue Boy I owned a '13 Accord V6 like you and I think that is what is affecting our comparisons, because my reaction when driving the TLX was exactly the same as yours. It didn't look or feel like an Accord, until I drove it. Like you, I didn't feel it was significantly quieter than the Accord and driving around town it certainly didn't handle that much differently, and I don't care if it does have PAWS.

There is one difference I was looking for though: the suspension on my Accord was horrendous. I felt every bump in the road way more than I felt I should have (that's why I got rid of it). I did feel the TLX was a little better in that area (I drove the V6 though). And the driver seat, for me, was immediately more comfortable, even without adjusting it, than I remember in the Accord. The seats and smoother ride alone would make it worth the money for me.

But the TLX window sills are higher which gave me that more-claustrophobic feeling. It felt smaller, whether or not it actually is. I felt like I was sitting down lower inside the car as opposed to sitting up and looking out. The visibility in the Accord was better. But then I see 6'8" Mat Hargett sitting in it with plenty of room and wonder if it's just me. But I really don't know if I could live with it every day.

It's a nice car. But I expected more Lexus ES250-levels of room and comfort and instead I felt TSX.

Blue Boy
Profile for Blue Boy
Re: Wife and I test drove a TLX 4cyl with Tech pkg.    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-21-2014 08:41
CarmB wrote:
owequitit wrote:
CarmB wrote:
Size?

See what I did there?

Nice try but the Accord doesn't match the TLX in terms of features and if you're saying this is the same as wondering why anyone would look at maybe a CLA vs. the TLX (to use an example), the CLA is a heavily compromised product, quite below Mercedes' usual high standards. Why pay more for a CLA when you really don't end up with a Mercedes in the best sense. That the TLX features a more accommodating back seat is strictly a bonus.

Besides there's compact and then there's cramped. Similarly priced competitors like the A3 and CLA verge on cramped. Is cramped something a few curious souls might have a longing for? Perhaps. Myself, I'm sceptical that it's a significant group. For that segment, coupes would seem a better fit. You have to wonder what the point is to a sedan that really doesn't feature a reasonable back seat. I certainly doubt anyone is drawn to the CLA because it has a cramped interior. Live with the cramped accommodations? Absolutely. But a selling point?

I posted my thoughts because I expected that my wife and I might be typical of other Accord drivers that wanted to "step up" to a more premium car. And that those drivers would appreciate our thoughts. The mostly great reviews of the TLX motivated us to check it out. Besides our daughter has a TL Type S that she loves. We aren't trying to discourage others from buying but to check it out with theirs eyes open. Also, we not saying it is a bad car. Nor or we trying to change anyones mind that wants it. We just reported our thoughts based on our background.

Slim83
Profile for Slim83
Re: Wife and I test drove a TLX 4cyl with Tech pkg.    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-21-2014 09:01
I have a 2013 Honda Accord Touring and I drove the 4cyl and 6cyl on Saturday and the Q50 right after. I agree there isn't much difference in how quiet the ride is for the 6cyl, but not necessarily for the 4cyl. I also like the size of the Accord but I am over 6 feet. It just sealed my thoughts of how far the Accord has come in quality, but I wasn't disappointed in the TLX by an stretch.

I had an 05 TL and I really like the body style of the TLX. The biggest thing is the grill didn't distract me. I think it is fair to say the TLX is the best value in my opinion for the market it serves. I have driven the CLA, IS250, and Audi A3 in the last couple months and no one could touch the TLX for the price and options (especially the 4cyl Tech).

I was also shocked at the price of the Q50. I saw one on the lot without a sunroof for 38k and it didn't have memory seats, sunroof or heated seats and leatherette.

Blue Boy
Profile for Blue Boy
Re: Wife and I test drove a TLX 4cyl with Tech pkg.    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-21-2014 09:45
4thaccord wrote:
owequitit wrote:
CarmB wrote:
Size?

See what I did there?

Yes, everyone saw: you acted like a pompous, know-it-all dbag like always. Nothing new there.

Blue Boy I owned a '13 Accord V6 like you and I think that is what is affecting our comparisons, because my reaction when driving the TLX was exactly the same as yours. It didn't look or feel like an Accord, until I drove it. Like you, I didn't feel it was significantly quieter than the Accord and driving around town it certainly didn't handle that much differently, and I don't care if it does have PAWS.

There is one difference I was looking for though: the suspension on my Accord was horrendous. I felt every bump in the road way more than I felt I should have (that's why I got rid of it). I did feel the TLX was a little better in that area (I drove the V6 though). And the driver seat, for me, was immediately more comfortable, even without adjusting it, than I remember in the Accord. The seats and smoother ride alone would make it worth the money for me.

But the TLX window sills are higher which gave me that more-claustrophobic feeling. It felt smaller, whether or not it actually is. I felt like I was sitting down lower inside the car as opposed to sitting up and looking out. The visibility in the Accord was better. But then I see 6'8" Mat Hargett sitting in it with plenty of room and wonder if it's just me. But I really don't know if I could live with it every day.

It's a nice car. But I expected more Lexus ES250-levels of room and comfort and instead I felt TSX.

I agree that the 2013 is a little floaty compared with the double wishbone suspension. Not a problem in town or on interstates for us. Just not Honda's normal character and takes a little getting used to. We either take the coupe or the sedan depending on the circumstance. The coupe was the one I was expecting to replace since it lacked button start and backup cams. Turns out the TLX couldn't replace my coupe and would have come a little closer replacing the accord but no cigar. Anyway I have new car fever out of my system for now.

DCR
Profile for DCR
Re: Wife and I test drove a TLX 4cyl with Tech pkg.    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-21-2014 11:56
Blue Boy wrote:
I posted my thoughts because I expected that my wife and I might be typical of other Accord drivers that wanted to "step up" to a more premium car. And that those drivers would appreciate our thoughts. The mostly great reviews of the TLX motivated us to check it out. Besides our daughter has a TL Type S that she loves. We aren't trying to discourage others from buying but to check it out with theirs eyes open. Also, we not saying it is a bad car. Nor or we trying to change anyones mind that wants it. We just reported our thoughts based on our background.

You have to wade through the apologist crowd in the early going when you share your opinion here, but, you only have to remember that your opinion isn't wrong.

The TLX is a better effort from Acura than we have had during the garbage sedan years, but it is pretty clear there is some marketing money being spent to line pockets out there to give very similar "over the top" reviews of this car. They almost all end the same way, and when I looked at the car in person, I was sincerely wondering what car they were talking about, because this thing is average at best.

Also, if we are tooth and nail into a conversation about the Accord...well, isn't that saying a little bit?

gofast182
Profile for gofast182
Re: Wife and I test drove a TLX 4cyl with Tech pkg.    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-21-2014 12:49
DCR wrote:
Blue Boy wrote:

You have to wade through the apologist crowd in the early going when you share your opinion here, but, you only have to remember that your opinion isn't wrong.

The TLX is a better effort from Acura than we have had during the garbage sedan years, but it is pretty clear there is some marketing money being spent to line pockets out there to give very similar "over the top" reviews of this car. They almost all end the same way, and when I looked at the car in person, I was sincerely wondering what car they were talking about, because this thing is average at best.

Also, if we are tooth and nail into a conversation about the Accord...well, isn't that saying a little bit?

I'm fortunate enough to have driven a current/last gen. TSX, the new Accord (4cyl), the TL, the RLX, and now both [released] versions of the TLX. If not for the awesome DCT I'd have some pause about dumping my TSX for a TLX which is surprising for me to say but there was so much over-the-top praise for the I4 I expected more. With the smoothness of the V6 and the slick push-button shifter I felt the V6 TLX was more "premium" and dare I say I liked it better. Having driven several TLs (although not the new V6 Accord) it feels like enough of an improvement over that to be worthwhile. Here in east-central NJ, canyon-carving ability is less relevant so getting to 9/10 in a corner doesn't happen that often and, if folks are honest, nor does it for most on their daily commutes. Point is both versions of TLX are good but expectations and actual experience are somewhat different.

RMTRADER
Profile for RMTRADER
Re: Wife and I test drove a TLX 4cyl with Tech pkg.    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-21-2014 13:13
I am going to set up a test drive shortly, but I thought the car looked very good in person - much better than any other Honda or Acura product currently in production and better than average but admittedly, there are those that think the Accord is really good looking so there you go.
Mikeydred
Profile for Mikeydred
Re: Wife and I test drove a TLX 4cyl with Tech pkg.    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-21-2014 13:26
DCR wrote:
Blue Boy wrote:

Honda paying off journalist, nah say it isn't so!

DCR
Profile for DCR
Re: Wife and I test drove a TLX 4cyl with Tech pkg.    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-21-2014 13:38
I just prefer that reviewers keep things realistic, for example:

http://www.roadandtrack.com/go/first-looks/2015-acura-tlx-first-drive-review

Impossible Dream
Profile for Impossible Dream
Re: Wife and I test drove a TLX 4cyl with Tech pkg.    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-21-2014 14:53
DCR wrote:
I just prefer that reviewers keep things realistic, for example:

http://www.roadandtrack.com/go/first-looks/2015-acura-tlx-first-drive-review

While that review is pretty frank, I'm not sure what it means by the whole, "Gotta have it factor"... That seems overly subjective for no apparent reason.

They spent the first portion of the review talking about the confusing name which has absolutely nothing to do with the performance of the TLX, just more complaining about nothing. ALL of the Luxury car brands have alphabet soup for names now, Cadillac, Lincoln, Infiniti, Lexus, even Mercedes. Unless you are 100% familiar with each brand's offerings, nobody on the street can tell you if the CLS is better than the CLK or CLA. What's better, the CTS or the XTS? What the heck is a Q50?

They also referred to the TLX as the Legend, when the RLX should be the Legend.

The rest of the critique is more or less in line with what people have said, but the whole tone of that article seems negative for no apparent reason.

Thread Page - [1] 2
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
30 mobile: 0