[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
BBC: Honda set to close Swindon factory in 2022
More.......................
Nikkei: Honda enters agreement with CATL for battery supply contract through 2027
Acura Marks 30 Years Since Debut of Iconic NSX Supercar
American Honda reports January sales
Acura Marks 15th Anniversary of Super Handling All-Wheel Drive™
Honda releases pricing and EPA information for 2019 Passport
American Honda Reports December Sales
American Honda Reports November Sales
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2019 Pre-Season Testing - Days 1-4
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Swindon in peril
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: 2020 Honda Fit Render
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Kandi EV Approved for US
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda Loses a $38 Million Liability Lawsuit
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: DC-R
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Timid AHM marketing
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Poor reliability scores for Honda and Acura
Join Discussion......
TOV Asia --> Re: Honda JP Sales 2018: Hybrids make up 55% of reg. cars
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda's new sub-brand Honda e
Join Discussion......
Amateur Racing & Driving --> Re: My first helmet !
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: Honda closing UK plant that builds the Type R
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Original NSX prototype only had a SOHC V6 without VTEC
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Rumours that Honda will close its Swindon plant
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Sunny came home with a mission
Join Discussion......
2019 Honda Passport PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
2019 Acura NSX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura ILX
2019 Acura ILX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Pilot
2019 Honda Pilot PR Photo Gallery

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > General Talk > > Re: Freeze! It's the Honda ad police

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
longhorn
Profile for longhorn
Freeze! It's the Honda ad police    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-11-2014 09:32
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
I thought this was an urban myth..........guess not. I have in other trade mags that the relationship between Honda and its dealers are not the best in the industry.

http://www.autonews.com/article/20140811/RETAIL03/308119965/freeze-its-the-honda-ad-police

Mechanic
Profile for Mechanic
Re: Freeze! It's the Honda ad police    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-11-2014 10:25
Thanks for the link.
6SPDTL
Profile for 6SPDTL
Re: Freeze! It's the Honda ad police    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-11-2014 10:43
I don't see why this should chafe dealers. It seems that Honda simply makes sure that dealers aren't huckstering buyers. For Honda resale value is a primordial tenet of the company, thus openly selling cars below retail is an entirely appropriate standard. They are simply ensuring their dealers are slightly less "scummy" than the general auto dealers which barely rank higher than pond scum in the public's honesty perception.
CB77
Profile for CB77
Re: Freeze! It's the Honda ad police    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-11-2014 11:03

A few years ago, AHM's motorcycle division (where I work) adopted this same policy for their motorcycle dealers. Leading to many rejected co-op advertising claims. It was received very poorly by the dealers...and remains a sore spot even to this day.

6SPDTL
Profile for 6SPDTL
Re: Freeze! It's the Honda ad police    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-11-2014 11:51
Again if dealers weren't in general such scumbags it wouldn't be a problem.
CarPhreakD
Profile for CarPhreakD
Re: Freeze! It's the Honda ad police    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-11-2014 12:13
How about the relationship between Honda dealers and its customers? Even at my office at a competing OEM the general view of dealerships is very dismal. Just about every single Ontario Honda dealer I've had to go to was pretty crappy. When my gf was looking at a Fit at Markham Honda, the guy flat out lied several times. I really can't be sympathetic.

I have to continually remind people that dealerships are an entirely different entity from the actual automaker, save for Tesla.

Colin
Profile for Colin
Re: Freeze! It's the Honda ad police    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-11-2014 17:44
CB77 wrote:

A few years ago, AHM's motorcycle division (where I work) adopted this same policy for their motorcycle dealers. Leading to many rejected co-op advertising claims. It was received very poorly by the dealers...and remains a sore spot even to this day.

Would it be true that if you were willing to forgo co-op, compliance is not an issue? I don't know how H/A does it but years ago when I was in consumer electronics, there was a 'Minimum Advertised Price" if you wanted co-op money. If you wanted to pay full freight for the ad, you could advertise lower. This was 20+ years ago, so it's not as if this is all that new. We didn't always like it, but there were ways around it, advertise the TV at MAP, but give a free stand.

CB77
Profile for CB77
Re: Freeze! It's the Honda ad police    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-11-2014 18:57

Yes...the M/C dealers could forgo their co-op money from Honda and run the price ads if they wanted to. But none of my dealers would do so...they preferred to bitch to me about Honda. But the auto division may be more strict on this...allowing their dealers to rat-out offending dealers.

ldvknight
Profile for ldvknight
Re: Freeze! It's the Honda ad police    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-11-2014 19:28
I see Toyotas listed significantly below msrp and I don't feel their brand has been diluted. The sienna minivan is listed much lower than the odyssey minivan. the wife and I are looking and if we were to buy today, it would be the Toyota.
6SPDTL
Profile for 6SPDTL
Re: Freeze! It's the Honda ad police    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-11-2014 23:51
Toyota also sells tons of cars to fleets. BTW both of those moves does dilute its residuals significantly.
superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: Freeze! It's the Honda ad police    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-12-2014 02:14
ldvknight wrote:
I see Toyotas listed significantly below msrp and I don't feel their brand has been diluted. The sienna minivan is listed much lower than the odyssey minivan. the wife and I are looking and if we were to buy today, it would be the Toyota.

You already said that you just bought a '14 Corolla LE instead of a Civic, so we get that you like Toyota's fine, but Honda's do hold their value better.

Colin
Profile for Colin
Re: Freeze! It's the Honda ad police    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-12-2014 03:28
ldvknight wrote:
I see Toyotas listed significantly below msrp and I don't feel their brand has been diluted.

There is a difference between invoice and MSRP. The discussion is about Hondas being advertised below invoice.

typer_801
Profile for typer_801
Re: Freeze! It's the Honda ad police    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-12-2014 14:45
While it may be listed lower, when you check actual prices you'll pay (i.e. request a quote), you'll often find the Honda's come in much lower than you'd expect.

Purchased an Ody last July and the discount on my Ody was about $4K greater than a Sienna, and of course, no Honda dealer was advertising Ody's priced that low, just have to inquire and find out.

Morale of the story is, don't rely on the weekly newspaper ads or the dealer or Trucar website to tell you what price you'll pay for a Honda. You need to actually request a quote.

ldvknight wrote:

longhorn
Profile for longhorn
Re: Freeze! It's the Honda ad police    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-12-2014 15:04
typer_801 wrote:
While it may be listed lower, when you check actual prices you'll pay (i.e. request a quote), you'll often find the Honda's come in much lower than you'd expect.

Purchased an Ody last July and the discount on my Ody was about $4K greater than a Sienna, and of course, no Honda dealer was advertising Ody's priced that low, just have to inquire and find out.

Morale of the story is, don't rely on the weekly newspaper ads or the dealer or Trucar website to tell you what price you'll pay for a Honda. You need to actually request a quote.

ldvknight wrote:

True.

Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
30 mobile: 0