[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
BBC: Honda set to close Swindon factory in 2022
More.......................
Nikkei: Honda enters agreement with CATL for battery supply contract through 2027
Acura Marks 30 Years Since Debut of Iconic NSX Supercar
American Honda reports January sales
Acura Marks 15th Anniversary of Super Handling All-Wheel Drive™
Honda releases pricing and EPA information for 2019 Passport
American Honda Reports December Sales
American Honda Reports November Sales
Type R --> Re: DC-R
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Swindon in peril
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Timid AHM marketing
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2019 Pre-Season Testing - Days 1-4
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda Loses a $38 Million Liability Lawsuit
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Poor reliability scores for Honda and Acura
Join Discussion......
TOV Asia --> Re: Honda JP Sales 2018: Hybrids make up 55% of reg. cars
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda's new sub-brand Honda e
Join Discussion......
Amateur Racing & Driving --> Re: My first helmet !
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: Honda closing UK plant that builds the Type R
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Original NSX prototype only had a SOHC V6 without VTEC
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Rumours that Honda will close its Swindon plant
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Sunny came home with a mission
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: 2019 F1 Releases/Launches
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: Type R bike carrier
Join Discussion......
2019 Honda Passport PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
2019 Acura NSX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura ILX
2019 Acura ILX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Pilot
2019 Honda Pilot PR Photo Gallery

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > General Talk > > Re: Dear Acura Executives

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
HDNBenjamin
Profile for HDNBenjamin
Dear Acura Executives    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-04-2014 19:42
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
I have been and still am a huge fan of Honda. It has been frustrating to see Honda missed opportunities that could have further cemented the brand and elevated Acura’s image. I want to express my opinions of Honda’s mistakes and opportunities. Please feel free to add as you see fit.

Honda needs to realize that Acura is an important piece of its existence for continuous growth. Todays’ automotive market is competitive as other manufacturers honed in their manufacturing and production capabilities. This means that the sales of core mass selling products of Honda will be marginalized as the gap of reliability and quality between Honda and other brands diminishes each passing year. To counter the reliance on high sales volume vehicles, I believe Honda needs to increase focus on products that could yield higher profit margins. Therefore, Acura needs to become a true luxury marquee brand.

Brand/Prestige: I think that Brand/Prestige comes w/ many generations of successful products. Each model generation needs to be competitive within the market place. This creates momentum for future generations as the base of owners will continue to grow. Acura failed to do this by not updating the NSX to keep it competitive throughout its production life and thereafter. I can assume the reason for the dismissed of the NSX was that it was not profitable, but it shouldn’t have to be as it was in its first generation. Like I’ve mentioned earlier, it may take many generations to build reputation and grow the fan base, which will increase demand.

What Acura needs to do: Stay committed to your products. Continue to update the products to maintain competitiveness. Stop canceling products because they’re not profitable, but instead make them profitable by improving upon the products weaknesses until the product becomes highly marketable and desirable. Expand the Acura brand beyond NA, China, and Russia. We live in an era where information is readily available through the internet. It can cause Brand Identity issues when a buyer is confused whether an NSX is an Acura or a Honda. STOP IT, Acura! Invest in the brand of Acura!

Performance: BMW, Mercedes, Lexus, and Audi all have performance versions of their cars but why not Acura? Bring back the Type-R or Type-S models. Acura needs to understand that magazines and forums will likely compare other luxury brands’ top performance model against Acura’s even if Acura does not have a performance model. Speaking for myself, I may not need or be able to afford a Type-S/R model, but I’d like to be represented by Acura in the highest way possible. It enhances pride of ownership.

Style/Design: Regardless of what Acura customer survey says, style is an extremely important element that provokes emotion. I am more likely to buy a product if the style is to my liking. Acura should not take this lightly. Reliability and performance are both important but so is design style. Make the car look beautiful. It’s not that hard to do.

Product Planning: I’ve seen poor product planning by Honda. Examples: Honda Insight and S2000. The first launch of the original Insight should have included a 4 door. The S2000’s drivetrain should have come w/ automatics as well to capture additional sales. I get that the S2000 is a performance model, but why limit your base by not offering automatics?

BTW – I work as a financial analyst for a fortune 50 Company so I do recognize that each department whether it be R&D, Sales, or Marketing all must meet budget’s target established by the Budget Committee each year. That’s why I believe it is important that the executives buy into the program and not limit dollars to R&D and product development.

Osaka2002
Profile for Osaka2002
Re: Dear Acura Executives    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-05-2014 00:38
Oh look, an armchair expert who feels that he knows all of the secrets to success for a car company.

Never seen that before............

/s

superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: Dear Acura Executives    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-05-2014 00:56
The first one on the Temple, that's for sure!
:)

nightflow
Profile for nightflow
Re: Dear Acura Executives    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-05-2014 01:45
From a consumer perspective, I thought it was well written and expressive of what many of consumers want.

If you have insight from a car producer perspective as to why none of this was implemented, do tell. :)

superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: Dear Acura Executives    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-05-2014 02:24
An S2000 with an automatic would be sacrilege.
sadlerau
Profile for sadlerau
Re: Dear Acura Executives    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-05-2014 02:45
superchg2 wrote:

Think about it, it would only be sacrilege for those who wouldn't buy an auto trans in the first place.................. :)

Don't think it would have added much to sales in any case, for the S2000 was too hard core for anyone more than a dedicated enthusiast.

superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: Dear Acura Executives    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-05-2014 03:22
sadlerau wrote:
superchg2 wrote:

Think about it, it would only be sacrilege for those who wouldn't buy an auto trans in the first place.................. :)

Don't think it would have added much to sales in any case, for the S2000 was too hard core for anyone more than a dedicated enthusiast.

When they designed the S2000 AP1 with its 8,800 r.p.m. redline, I doubt they ever once considered hooking up a slushbox.

DCR
Profile for DCR
Re: Dear Acura Executives    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-05-2014 09:06
Osaka2002 wrote:
Oh look, an armchair expert who feels that he knows all of the secrets to success for a car company.

Never seen that before............

/s

Keep it up.

CivicB18
Profile for CivicB18
Re: Dear Acura Executives    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-05-2014 10:09
If you want an automatic in an S2000, clearly you've never driven on. Now a good DCT may be acceptable as an option.
CarPhreakD
Profile for CarPhreakD
Re: Dear Acura Executives    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-05-2014 10:59
An automatic S2000? What the fuck? Slushboxes on a 9000 rpm high revving 4-banger with otherwise very little torque. Yeah... no.

Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
29 mobile: 0