[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
BBC: Honda set to close Swindon factory in 2022
More.......................
Nikkei: Honda enters agreement with CATL for battery supply contract through 2027
Acura Marks 30 Years Since Debut of Iconic NSX Supercar
American Honda reports January sales
Acura Marks 15th Anniversary of Super Handling All-Wheel Drive™
Honda releases pricing and EPA information for 2019 Passport
American Honda Reports December Sales
American Honda Reports November Sales
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2019 Pre-Season Testing - Days 1-4
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Swindon in peril
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: 2020 Honda Fit Render
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Kandi EV Approved for US
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda Loses a $38 Million Liability Lawsuit
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: DC-R
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Timid AHM marketing
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Poor reliability scores for Honda and Acura
Join Discussion......
TOV Asia --> Re: Honda JP Sales 2018: Hybrids make up 55% of reg. cars
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda's new sub-brand Honda e
Join Discussion......
Amateur Racing & Driving --> Re: My first helmet !
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: Honda closing UK plant that builds the Type R
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Original NSX prototype only had a SOHC V6 without VTEC
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Rumours that Honda will close its Swindon plant
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Sunny came home with a mission
Join Discussion......
2019 Honda Passport PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
2019 Acura NSX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura ILX
2019 Acura ILX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Pilot
2019 Honda Pilot PR Photo Gallery

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > General Talk > > Re: Honda NSX Coming?

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
CB77
Profile for CB77
Honda NSX Coming?    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-28-2014 13:27
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply

(This article appears in today's Auto News. If true, such a model would probably have a lot more relevance to most of the folks who frequent this site...compared to the Acura version of this model)

NSX variant: A Honda source says the automaker is studying giving the Acura NSX platform a less-expensive Honda-badged variant without all the complicated, pricey hybrid technology. A high-revving turbo-four engine in a midengine, rear-wheel-drive layout could be in the offing, or Honda could remap the power curve in the 3.5-liter 310-hp V-6 from the Acura RLX. It wouldn't come for at least a year after the NSX, in summer 2016 at the soonest.

Chris David
Profile for Chris David
Re: Honda NSX Coming?    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-28-2014 13:36
I think Rolled has mentioned this a few times. Hope it is true and hope that it is a 2+2 coupe.
Hondatalover
Profile for Hondatalover
Re: Honda NSX Coming?    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-28-2014 13:57
Would this be used in the actual Honda NSX's chassis? Basically the same car with a separate power train where as the Acura NSX only has the hybrid?

Or is it that mini, baby NSX Rolled mentions?

CB77
Profile for CB77
Re: Honda NSX Coming?    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-28-2014 14:32

If it has the same chassis as the Acura NSX, but just has the exotic hybrid powertrain replaced with a turbo 4 or a pumped-up 3.5 V6, it would not sound too much like a "baby" to me. Maybe Rolled can weigh-in here...unless he has been scooped by Auto News. (That should bring him out)

lexusgs
Profile for lexusgs
Re: Honda NSX Coming?    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-28-2014 16:01
Hondatalover wrote:
Would this be used in the actual Honda NSX's chassis? Basically the same car with a separate power train where as the Acura NSX only has the hybrid?

Or is it that mini, baby NSX Rolled mentions?

Even with using the the NSX 2 chassis without the hybrid hardware and a different engine it would still likely be too expensive to offer as a Honda. I think they will use the original transverse chassis and it will have more steel or be a steel chassis over aluminum, it will be a very different car then the NSX which will be using carbon fiber, aluminum, high end suspension pieces, high speed aerodynamics, high end interior, etc all which cost a lot of money, too much for a Honda.

I would hope Honda gets the 4 cylinder turbo while Acura gets the 6 cylinder, I see the Honda being priced in the mid 50's while a Acura version being priced in the 60's to 70's so that would leave room for a front engined rwd S2000 replacement priced in the 30's to low 40's and perhaps a Acura version of that.

RolledaNsx
Profile for RolledaNsx
Re: Honda NSX Coming?    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-28-2014 16:48
This has already been talked about,remember the S2000 story from all three rumor mags from Japan about two months ago.

And it goes back even farther to the V10 NSX.To meet goals the NSX was going to be expensive and 95% of buyers couldn't buy it so they was going to make a lesser model that the 95% can buy(baby-NSX) and also it would help Honda to take less of a $ hit on making a Halo Sports Car.It could be built at the same factory and use a lot of the same parts(no CF).

CB77
Profile for CB77
Re: Honda NSX Coming?    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-28-2014 23:23

I assume Honda will want to allow the Acura NSX to be on the market for a while before the Honda version is released...that is assuming it ever gets a green light.

Frankly the Honda version could be a lot more significant model for the company (from a sales and profit standpoint) than the Acura version. And unless Acura gets its sedan act together, I doubt that they can expect much total sales benefit from the NSX's value as a halo model. That makes this whole exercise pretty much a moot point.

BG
Profile for BG
Re: Honda NSX Coming?    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-29-2014 07:42
I doubt the Europeans who put their deposits down will be wanting to wait until the Acura fans get theirs!!

The NSX was always Honda, Ayrton Senna didn't help develop the Acura NSX...... Oh no, now look what you've started, it's war :)

And as Rolled stated, baby nsx was rumoured a while now, along with S1500 and S660.

Question for Rolled or Daniel maybe, are Honda Japan taking orders for NSX?? If so, are there many takers??

CB77
Profile for CB77
Re: Honda NSX Coming?    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-29-2014 08:40

BG, I am referring to the de-contented Honda version of the NSX (non-hybrid, turbo 4 or 3.5 V6) that is being considered...NOT a Honda-badged version of the Acura NSX that is currently under development.

BG
Profile for BG
Re: Honda NSX Coming?    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-29-2014 09:50
Gotcha CB, over and out ;)
CB77
Profile for CB77
Re: Honda NSX Coming?    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-29-2014 12:04

Although (according to Rolled) it sounds like the NSX could probably not be de-contented enough to ever be sold as a Honda...the price would still just be too high. Even pulling out the expensive and complex hybrid powertrain would not lower the price enough.

But wouldn't a small, high-revving V8 be fun in such a vehicle? I know, dream on...

Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
30 mobile: 0