[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
BBC: Honda set to close Swindon factory in 2022
More.......................
Nikkei: Honda enters agreement with CATL for battery supply contract through 2027
Acura Marks 30 Years Since Debut of Iconic NSX Supercar
American Honda reports January sales
Acura Marks 15th Anniversary of Super Handling All-Wheel Drive™
Honda releases pricing and EPA information for 2019 Passport
American Honda Reports December Sales
American Honda Reports November Sales
Type R --> Re: DC-R
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Swindon in peril
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Timid AHM marketing
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2019 Pre-Season Testing - Days 1-4
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda Loses a $38 Million Liability Lawsuit
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Poor reliability scores for Honda and Acura
Join Discussion......
TOV Asia --> Re: Honda JP Sales 2018: Hybrids make up 55% of reg. cars
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda's new sub-brand Honda e
Join Discussion......
Amateur Racing & Driving --> Re: My first helmet !
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: Honda closing UK plant that builds the Type R
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Original NSX prototype only had a SOHC V6 without VTEC
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Rumours that Honda will close its Swindon plant
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Sunny came home with a mission
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: 2019 F1 Releases/Launches
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: Type R bike carrier
Join Discussion......
2019 Honda Passport PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
2019 Acura NSX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura ILX
2019 Acura ILX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Pilot
2019 Honda Pilot PR Photo Gallery

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > General Talk > > Re: Will there be a new generation of hotrod/restoration guys

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
NSXman
Profile for NSXman
Will there be a new generation of hotrod/restoration guys    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-27-2014 01:27
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
As I was hanging out with some older family today, their car list is somewhat normal for their generation. 65 Mustang, early 70s Mach1, 57 Chevy, 32 Ford, T-bucket, etc.

These guys grew up in the time where these cars were on the road, or their parents had owned one, or they were in to the HotRod scene in San Fernando. I wonder if the next generation, which I am part of, will embrace restoration and rodding in a similar fashion.

Would someone restore a 98 Prelude SH? Or would we see the Integra GS-R in turbo form on the street? Will RSX Type-S's be popular cars to add power and an LSD to?

I'm just curious if we will like our cars like the previous generation, or will all these previously mentioned cars meet their doom in a crusher.

Sure, old hot rods are a lot easier to motor swap, and there are little to no emissions laws governing those vehicles...but there are a few cars in our generation that deserve to be passed down.

ldvknight
Profile for ldvknight
Re: Will there be a new generation of hotrod/restoration guys    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-27-2014 11:02
We'll I'm 33 yrs old and still look everyday at civic hatchbacks and type r. One for my dream mod, one to keep in a vacuum.

Grace141
Profile for Grace141
Re: Will there be a new generation of hotrod/restoration guys    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-27-2014 11:12
Yes, there will be a next generation of hotrod and restored car fans. It's interesting though because those old hotrods were very plentiful in their day, inexpensive to buy and keep, and a wide variety of parts was available. Hondas and Acuras on the other hand have been seen too much as disposable cars and the parts support thus far has been for the street racing type folks. It's very rare today to find a mid-'90s Integra in factory condition.

When I was in high school I drove my '65 Mustang everyday, a good friend had both a '65 Mustang and a '72 Mach 1, and another guy I knew had a wonderful '56 Bel-Air. We drove those cars hard but we didn't cut them up or wrap them around trees. Will there be Integras and Preludes still in workable condition when they are considered for building up as restored sporty cars or hot rodded for racing. Will we see a restored Prelude sell for big money at Barrett-Jackson 20 years from now. I really doubt it considering the parts support for those cars and what many owners are doing to them today.

Waldo
Profile for Waldo
Re: Will there be a new generation of hotrod/restoration guys    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-27-2014 12:04
Interesting topic.

Whatever happens, it will be much different. The landscape has changed. America is no longer having a romance with the automobile. Teenager guys (way, way back when I was one!) were primarily into cars to display our manliness. The guys with the coolest cars got the chicks, or at least we perceived that to be the case. Cars and sex were interwoven in our immature psyches! The girls played along, because mainly girls did not have cars; they depended on guys for rides, and the fun that entailed (always exceptions, of course).

That is all history. Most young guys today (TOVers excepted) don't really give a damn about modern appliance vehicles as wonderful fascinating freedom and sex magnet machines. Does it run okay? Does it have connectivity to my iStuff? That's all that matters. The chicks all have their own cars. Tech knowledge is sexier than being a gear head.

The '49 Merc, '57 Chevy, and '65 Mustang (maybe '67 'Cuda) represents the pinnacle of that age of cars we lusted after. Nothing today will repeat that era.

superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: Will there be a new generation of hotrod/restoration guys    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-27-2014 14:48
Waldo wrote:
The '49 Merc, '57 Chevy, and '65 Mustang (maybe '67 'Cuda) represents the pinnacle of that age of cars we lusted after. Nothing today will repeat that era.

The 707 horsepower Challenger SRT and rumored Charger SRT with the same Hellcat engine will be more powerful than any previous American production muscle cars, so evidently there are still a few gearheads left out there lusting for more horsepower.

Waldo
Profile for Waldo
Re: Will there be a new generation of hotrod/restoration guys    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-27-2014 15:25
superchg2 wrote:

The 707 horsepower Challenger SRT and rumored Charger SRT with the same Hellcat engine will be more powerful than any previous American production muscle cars, so evidently there are still a few gearheads left out there lusting for more horsepower.

"Few" is the operative word, but that is a gutsy move by Sergio and his engineers. At $60K, they are losing money on this one, but it is a pretty amazing car for that price. I love the fact that it includes a red and black key. The black key reduces the horsepower, and keeps the car out of first gear, also disabling the paddle shifter. It's laughingly called the "valet key".

NSXman
Profile for NSXman
Re: Will there be a new generation of hotrod/restoration guys    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-27-2014 17:05
I mentioned Prelude because it is one of my all time favorite Hondas, but interestingly it is probably as or more upscale than the Mustang was in 65.

There was a romanticism about cars in the 60s and before and that is why shows like Good Guys and auctions that sell of restored Cudas and such seem to be popular.

There are a few Hondas that I hope do get preserved over time, as a testimony to the days of Honda engineering of yore. As nice and desirable as many of the current Honda and Acura cars are, I can't imagine many being classics.

But to me, if I had the funds I'd like to be part of restoring and keeping an ITR, a 97-01 Prelude, or an S2000.

There are other potential classics outside Honda (Supra and E36 and E46 M3 come to mind), so I'd love to see any and all of these at car shows for the next 30 years. Millennials and children of Millennials need to know what an actual engine sounds like.

Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: Will there be a new generation of hotrod/restoration guys    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-28-2014 05:32
NSXMan, with our corrosion issues, it's already happening:

http://ludegeneration.co.uk/

Some people are spending a lot of money on these old things - and there are still some lovely gens 1 - 3 popping up. These are Hondas after all.

Hot Rodding is rather different; a nicely rodded genuine Model-A or -T would be a bloody fortune over here. Mind you, I've seen what some spend on a repro, too! I think Jonathan(?) on NSXCB has one and hi NSX is his daily smoker.

CarPhreakD
Profile for CarPhreakD
Re: Will there be a new generation of hotrod/restoration guys    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-28-2014 09:57
I don't think people are going to waste their time restoring something like an old Civic. But having lurked at the 8thgen civic facebook group, I can see that modifying is alive and well even in the millenial generation.

Then there are website like Petrolicious that are dedicated to vintage cars of all colors and stripes (they had a segment on everything from the Honda CRX to the Ferrari P4). They have vintage car buying guides for those looking to get into E30s and Giulias, so they can further reinforce European reliability stereotypes for the new generation.

So don't worry about it. As millennials finally get some money and move out of their parent's basements, probably around age 33, they will start looking at buying cars.

Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
30 mobile: 0