[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
NSX GT3 Evo To Compete Globally in 2019
More.......................
2019 Acura ILX Arrives with Dynamic New Styling, Major Technology Upgrades and New A-Spec Treatment
Honda Joins with Cruise and General Motors to Build New Autonomous Vehicle
Honda reports September 2018 sales numbers
Honda recalling 232,000 2018 Accords and 2019 Insights for rear camera software update
2019 Accord arriving in showrooms by November
Is a base trim of the Civic Type R finally arriving for MY 2019? (More MY2019 info inside)
Team Honda Research wins ST2 at NASA Nationals with their NC1 NSX
Type R --> Re: Top Gear: Here's what seven months living with a Honda Civic Type R is like
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Hydrogen vs Battery-tanks
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: So they took apart a Tesla 3 and found.......
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: Accord 2.0 Touring: First Impressions
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2018 United States Grand Prix Race Spoilers
Join Discussion......
IMA/Hybrids --> Re: Check IMA System light is on - what could it mean?
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> New status symbol: Dream garages
Join Discussion......
Ridgeline - General Talk --> Re: Honda to bring mystery off-road truck to 2018 SEMA
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: European CO2 madness and why electromobility is pointless
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: CR-V Hybrid 4wd iMMD
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: The Dirt on Clean Electric Cars
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: Drove one over the weekend...
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Re: DMV Stickers, we don't need no stinking stickers
Join Discussion......
S2000 --> Bridgewater Acura Meet
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: 2018 MotoGP
Join Discussion......
First Drive: 2019 Honda Pilot
Read Article....................
2019 Honda Pilot PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Insight
2019 Honda Insight PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura RDX
2019 Acura RDX Features & Specifications

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
  TOV News > American Honda Reports June 2014 Sales > > Re: Minivans in the US - are they dying?

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author

xBeastx
Profile for xBeastx
Minivans in the US - are they dying? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-01-2014 15:31
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
I can't remember the last time I've heard something about the Toyota Sienna.

Honda's minivan is dipping.

rocky
Profile for rocky
Re: Minivans in the US - are they dying? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-01-2014 15:50
Chrysler T&C and Dodge GC both increased sales by 24 and 22% respectively. Combined they sold 25,572 vehicles in June.

http://media.chrysler.com/newsrelease.do?id=15771&mid=1

Ody Sales: 10,911.

AcCoRdV6ExNaVi
Profile for AcCoRdV6ExNaVi
Re: Minivans in the US - are they dying? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-01-2014 22:04
I wonder how many of the 25,572 were fleet sales... Remember Honda leads the industry with the least fleet sales and most of their vehicles in the hands of real people.

Honda knows how to make great cars, but I think they are also afraid of competitions between Honda and Acura since Acura are just fancier versions of Honda, like how a V6 CRV would eat up RDX's sales, and the Accord Touring would eat up TL's sales. If Acura never shelved the FR platform and went tier-1, we would quite possibly have all Acura vehicles being rear wheel drive with eSH-AWD as an option by now, and there wouldn't be as big as a competition. Honda can finally go near-luxury with some of its models, or just offer them with the features found in JDM models. There wouldn't be 5 version of headlights or taillights assemblies that go into the same body shell, saving them money in a long run.

Could of, should of, would of...

6SPDTL
Profile for 6SPDTL
Re: Minivans in the US - are they dying? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-02-2014 08:52
The fact is, minivans ARE dying. Unfortunately, a bad thing. Minivans are without a doubt the best family transport vehicles out there but, like the station wagon, they are being killed by irrational stigma. Personally, if Honda made a 4wd odyssey I would still have one. It would also have been nice if they hadn't dumbed down the handling on the most recent version. We swapped ours for the Acura SUVAN, the MDX, which is brilliant on all the things the odyssey wasn't but cannot hold a candle to it in the comfort for 7 category.
BTW I don't think the Ody is in any danger of fading away unless Honda does something stupid by trying to innovate on the basic box design, as they did on the Crosstour, the station wagon no one asked for.

trexdoc
Profile for trexdoc
Re: Minivans in the US - are they dying? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-02-2014 10:34
my '07 Honda Ody van is slowly dying - I would LOVE to be able to replace it with a LUXURY minivan - I can afford it and do not want the Honda "Touring Elite" or whatever it's called - for Christ's sake, I want to know the exact pressure of each tire (why did Honda take away that function for 2014?) - I hear that Lexus is developing a minivan
Waldo
Profile for Waldo
Re: Minivans in the US - are they dying? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-02-2014 12:30
trexdoc wrote:
. . . I want to know the exact pressure of each tire (why did Honda take away that function for 2014?) . . .
Did earlier Oddyseys have that? My 2012 EX-L does not. I just have the light that shows when any tire is low.

shingles
Profile for shingles
Re: Minivans in the US - are they dying? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-02-2014 13:03
You don't want a Honda Touring Elite because it's a Honda or because it doesn't show you tire pressure in each tire? I mean seriously, if that's your only issue with it... buy an aftermarket kit. But if you don't want it because it's not "luxury" enough... well... not sure you'll have any luck.
Hondatalover
Profile for Hondatalover
Re: Minivans in the US - are they dying? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-02-2014 13:07
trexdoc wrote:
my '07 Honda Ody van is slowly dying - I would LOVE to be able to replace it with a LUXURY minivan - I can afford it and do not want the Honda "Touring Elite" or whatever it's called - for Christ's sake, I want to know the exact pressure of each tire (why did Honda take away that function for 2014?) - I hear that Lexus is developing a minivan

ipribadi
Profile for ipribadi
Re: Minivans in the US - are they dying? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-02-2014 13:37
I wonder how much Sienna sales would Honda eat away if they had an AWD Ody. I mean isn't this a critical criteria for those in the snowbelt region?

Not sure what changes has to be done to the frame and below the floor packaging but if Toyota can do it why not?

Cory
Profile for Cory
Re: Minivans in the US - are they dying? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-02-2014 15:51
I live in Wisconsin so know what it's like to drive in snow. AWD can be nice but is hardly the necessity that many think it is. Maybe way out in the country it is more important but in a town of any size the roads are plowed in reasonable amounts of time. Growing up my parents always had FWD cars (mostly Accords) and never had issues in snow. As for me, I've owned an 87 Prelude, 99 Civic, 03 CR-V and 10 Insight. The CR-V is the only one with AWD. Its added ground clearance has allowed me to get in a few snowy parking spots that I would have passed by in a car but I can't say that the AWD makes the car any more sure footed than the FWD cars I've owned (with just all season tires).

I have a pair of friends that bought an AWD Sienna a couple years ago. It was much more expensive than the FWD model up front and it sucks gas. They are getting about 14/15 mpg in town and under 20 on the highway. That's horrible and expensive, especially considering that there might be 2-3 days out of a winter in which AWD is helpful at all on city streets.

Honda does not need to waste time making an AWD Odyssey. For those that think they need AWD there's always the Pilot.

In response to the mention of a Lexus minivan above...
Yes, Toyota is possibly developing a Lexus minivan but it would almost certainly be a Chinese market only vehicle. The chances of it coming to the US are virtually zero. There just isn't a market for it.
Honestly, I don't know how much more luxurious than a Touring Odyssey a minivan could get - within a price range that anyone would find acceptable at least.

jshaw
Profile for jshaw
Re: Minivans in the US - are they dying? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-02-2014 17:48
Last time I talked to my parents, my father thought an AWD minivan was a good idea. Comfortable, spacious, if a little large for empty nesters (Odyssey has a larger footprint than the Pilot, iirc).

Didn't have to climb into the vehicle, unlike every almost every SUV on the market, nor did he have to buy a SUV - something he believes is stupidly wasteful for just two people (nevermind the pointless coupe-UVs).

AcCoRdV6ExNaVi
Re: Minivans in the US - are they dying? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-02-2014 21:32
That front end reminds me of the Honda JDM Elysion minivan. I would rather own a Elysion than the current gen Odyssey but I still think the last gen Odyssey was the best Odyssey ever, although the interior could use some padded material all around and wood trim to make it more luxury. More sound deadening would help and a little more power. SH-AWD as an option would be nice.
xBeastx
Profile for xBeastx
Re: Minivans in the US - are they dying? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-02-2014 22:13
Cory wrote:
AWD can be nice but is hardly the necessity that many think it is.

Front drive Honda Fit with all-season tires handled just fine in snow and ice. It slides around a lot, but you get used to it after a while and it's actually pretty fun. (If there isn't another car nearby.)

dampflok
Profile for dampflok
Re: Minivans in the US - are they dying? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-02-2014 23:29
Hondatalover wrote:
trexdoc wrote:
I have to say, that doesn't look half-bad. Hondatalover, you've finally found a model where the "Power Plenum" fits!

Cory
Profile for Cory
Re: Minivans in the US - are they dying? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-03-2014 11:02
jshaw wrote:
Last time I talked to my parents, my father thought an AWD minivan was a good idea. Comfortable, spacious, if a little large for empty nesters (Odyssey has a larger footprint than the Pilot, iirc).

Didn't have to climb into the vehicle, unlike every almost every SUV on the market, nor did he have to buy a SUV - something he believes is stupidly wasteful for just two people (nevermind the pointless coupe-UVs).

I'm not seeing how an AWD minivan that gets as bad, or worse, mileage than many SUVS isn't "stupidly wasteful for two people".

Cory
Profile for Cory
Re: Minivans in the US - are they dying? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-03-2014 11:06
xBeastx wrote:
Cory wrote:
AWD can be nice but is hardly the necessity that many think it is.

Front drive Honda Fit with all-season tires handled just fine in snow and ice. It slides around a lot, but you get used to it after a while and it's actually pretty fun. (If there isn't another car nearby.)

Our Insight has been fantastic in the winter. It's the first car we've owned with traction control and you can tell a big difference. Also the narrower tires seem to sink through snow to the pavement and get traction easily.

rocky
Profile for rocky
Re: Minivans in the US - are they dying? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-03-2014 15:37
Allpar reports that 1/3 of all Chryslter T&C sales are fleet. 2/3 of all Grand Caravan sales are fleet. The Dodge is also the lower spec'd of the two, which gives it an edge for cost conscious fleet owners
AcCoRdV6ExNaVi
Re: Minivans in the US - are they dying? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-03-2014 16:04
Town & Country 13,115 +24%
Caravan 12,457 +22%
Sienna 11,740 +8.5%
Odyssey 10,911 -16.8%
Flex 2,385 -1.5%
Quest 900 -16.5%
5 692 -18.2%
Sedona 673
Routan 1 -99.4%

So with my calculation for non-fleet units...

T&C: 13,115x0.66%=8,655.9 ≈ 8,656 units
Grand Caravan: 12,457x0.33%=4,110.81 ≈ 4,111 units
8,656+4,111=12,727 units

Still sold the most units in June, but with a lower starting price and heftier incentives, that's probably how they sold so many units. But the Routan...just ONE unit. I wonder if that was to an actual person or fleet. Found this online: "Production of the Routan was halted in 2012 due to high inventory levels, and Volkswagen announced the 2013 model year would be reserved for rental car companies and other fleets, and 2,500 were produced by Chrysler during the calendar year."

Honda-D
Profile for Honda-D
Re: Minivans in the US - are they dying? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-03-2014 16:57
I don't know how many T&C are in fleet but you also have to consider that many GC with discounts can be had for $20-22K. Compared to $27-$30K starting price of Japanese minivans.

So a lot of GCs are used as cheap family transports or cheap cargo van.

Most families I know will rather buy a 7 seat SUV over more spacious minivan. It's dying. That's why GC has been discontinued and Chrysler will only carry on with T&C.

Thread Page - [1]
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
29 mobile: 0