[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
BBC: Honda set to close Swindon factory in 2022
More.......................
Nikkei: Honda enters agreement with CATL for battery supply contract through 2027
Acura Marks 30 Years Since Debut of Iconic NSX Supercar
American Honda reports January sales
Acura Marks 15th Anniversary of Super Handling All-Wheel Drive™
Honda releases pricing and EPA information for 2019 Passport
American Honda Reports December Sales
American Honda Reports November Sales
General Talk --> Re: Said Goodbye to the MDX Today
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Will Honda join Aston Martin and Red Bull with Sports Cars
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Z6 head studs
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - Toro Rosso STR14 Pictures
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: DC-R
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda Loses a $38 Million Liability Lawsuit
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2019 Pre-Season Testing - Days 1-4
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: 2020 Honda Fit Render
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Swindon in peril
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Facts about HMA - 60 years of AHM - 50 years of CB750
Join Discussion......
Audio & Electronics --> Re: Lynyrd Skynyrd
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Kandi EV Approved for US
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Timid AHM marketing
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Poor reliability scores for Honda and Acura
Join Discussion......
TOV Asia --> Re: Honda JP Sales 2018: Hybrids make up 55% of reg. cars
Join Discussion......
2019 Honda Passport PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
2019 Acura NSX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura ILX
2019 Acura ILX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Pilot
2019 Honda Pilot PR Photo Gallery

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > General Talk > > Re: Top Gear Drives LaFerrari

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - 1 [2]
Author
  Post New Thread
bigblue
Profile for bigblue
Re: Top Gear Drives LaFerrari    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-02-2014 01:31
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
It's not fair to directly compare NSX to LaFerrari / P1 / 918, these are close to Euro/£/$ 1 million. And as mentioned above, maintenance costs and schedules for these are probably astronomical. Look up the posts of the "secret supercar owner" on evo for the F40, for example (to be fair, an F40 is a good few years old now). It would have been good for the NSX to be first out of the gate with respect to being the first hybrid supercar, but never mind, let's wait and see what emerges. It's going to be a damn sight cooler than yet another 911 :-)
The Legend
Profile for The Legend
Re: Top Gear Drives LaFerrari    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-02-2014 04:07
A 950bhp hypercar shouldn't be easy to drive, but this one is. That's the genius of LaFerrari, which takes the concept of driver aids that heighten rather than blunt the experience and propels it into a new dimension, which grafts F1 tech to a vast, traditional V12 to showcase the very best of Maranello old and new.

Now it's your turn, NSX 2.0

Let's see if that NSX with torque vectoring can deliver without feeling detached like the GT-R...

bigblue
Profile for bigblue
Re: Top Gear Drives LaFerrari    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-02-2014 08:00
Yes, leaving aside price, that's the fundamental difference, the LaFerrari and P1 use a single electric motor to drive the rear wheels, the 918 uses a pair of motors for front and rear, and the NSX will use three, one each for the front wheels plus one rear (I assume that this gives the potential for more sophisticated torque vectoring). The Mercedes SLS Electric Drive uses four motors, one for each corner and no internal combustion engine which also allows for some interesting control systems !

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Top Gear Drives LaFerrari    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-02-2014 14:18
sadlerau wrote:
Tony firstly I'm with Jeff, a car that good can be called anything and I'd buy it [if ONLY I had the money :)]. Secondly LaFerrari is a perfectly good name, and in Italian it rolls off the tongue beautifully. Only problem for Ferrari is what they call the next super, supercar??

La Sophia Loren GT?

Waldo
Profile for Waldo
Re: Top Gear Drives LaFerrari    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-02-2014 20:29
As long as it sound that nice, they can call it LaHogwarts, for all I care.
owequitit
Profile for owequitit
Re: Top Gear Drives LaFerrari    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-02-2014 20:59
TonyEX wrote:
owequitit wrote:
TonyEX wrote:
JeffX wrote:
TonyEX wrote:
BG wrote:
And before I say anything else, can everyone stop referring to the car as the LaFerrari.... it's LaFerrari plain and simples..... good, now that that's off my chest......Just listen to this beast

http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/ferrari-laferrari-first-drive-car-review-top-gear-2014-04-29

I don't care how fast this car is, or how loud it may sound.. it has been FATALLY wounded by its name. No one can take it seriously.

Imagine LaFerrari showing up to a meeting of Porsches and Ferraris.. Imagine how the owner will be ribbed...

"LaFerrari" just sounds so wrong. Sounds like what a rich guy would buy his wife. A Ferrari in nice pastel colors with matching couture, seats by Channel and a five speed automatic.

"IlFerrari" is much better. That's what the rich guy would drive in Monaco.

Better yet, just call it Ferrari Pan America Competizione 450TT or something like that.

I don't care if they called it LaFerrari Squigward Lady Gaga Justin Bieber Anniversary Edition.

They sold out their entire production run before the first one was ever shown. This car is amazing. No name can kill it.

Bah, humbug. Just another toy.

I had more respect for Ferrari when Enzo was around. He used to sell cars that were fast, strong and fairly dependable.

Nowadays they just sell garage queens that need constant maintenance and are sold as toys to the very rich.

And those mirrors.. those mirrors.. come on, it looks like a Bumble Bee

La Ferrari con la antena di Bumblela Bee

Honestly, I respect Porsche.. they keep the GT classes alive. Real cars (expensive) but real cars.

Tony, it's a well known fact that Ferrari's are much more reliable than they ever were in the past, and can easily serve as daily drivers, even though most owners choose not to use them that way. The NSX was the car that made that happen, unfortunately, that is about where it stopped.

This is a STONKING fast car, and resets the bar that is expected of a top level supercar, simple as that. Too bad Honda has been so buys blowing hot air, they will probably be nowhere close to it by the time the NSX hits the market. It's questionable whether they will even be able to match supercars at a fraction of the LaFerrari's price by then.

Remember when Honda was going to show the world what was up by displaying how awesome hybrids could be? Looks like they will have to settle for #4 (yes, #4) in line.

Honda has been such a laughable series of mis-fires lately it is simply remarkable how unable they are to execute anything. My how the mighty have fallen. Check it out too, Ferrari, McLaren, Porsche, Audi and Ford have all managed to hang onto high revving engines, which used to be Honda's forte, and the best we get is an Accord engine that can barelyl clear 7K RPM, and isn't as happy as it should be doing it.

IMHO, Honda has lost its way because it has forgotten about SIMPLICITY.

Let the Euros come up with hugely complex machines, let the other Japanese come out with mobile Transformers with Ginza at Night dashes.

Honda should be all about light weight and simplicity.

And perhaps, allow a little bit of smog, huh?

I guess that Ito pulled back so much after Lehman that HMC has lost four years of time.

I'd say that Honda is on its way back, though. It looks like they are doing it the hard way by redoing their core first: Accord, Civic ('13 was a big change) and now the Fit/HRV are finally coming into full production for NA consumption.

The CRV so far is doing fine and the Odyssey is doing well.

Time will tell if the TLX is as good as the Accord. If it is, then fixes to the ILX ought to be reasonable.

Only then can you really expect a real supercar... as it is, I'd rather they'd dump the NSX and just build a successor to the S2K and then redo the RLX ASAP.

Then, then, then, build a lightweight supercar with a small V8 and eSH-AWD.

Oh, btw. the Accord Hybrid is a grand slam... I guess the Fit Hybrid is also quite good... assuming they finally fixed the firmware controls in the transmission.

So, it's not bad. I dare say than HMC can not pay the bills with the NSX...

Meanwhile, I still think the mirrors in La Signora Ferrari are too much like a bug's antennae.

I don't disagree with most of your assertions. However, in a 7 year review, Honda has still had more misfires than runaway successes. Yes, the Accord is good, and the Civic is competitive after 2 updates (in as many years, so it is impossible to claim that they "got it"), but they have a long way to go brother, to get back to the Honda I expect them to be.

Other than the J series, which is honestly still a pedestrian engine, they don't have a single powertrain that lights my fire. Their 4 bangers are borting and smooth, but no longer have the soul and character expected of a Honda and that goes without talking about the PERFORMANCE aspects of the brand.

owequitit
Profile for owequitit
Re: Top Gear Drives LaFerrari    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-02-2014 21:03
CarPhreakD wrote:
owequitit wrote:
TonyEX wrote:
JeffX wrote:
TonyEX wrote:
BG wrote:
And before I say anything else, can everyone stop referring to the car as the LaFerrari.... it's LaFerrari plain and simples..... good, now that that's off my chest......Just listen to this beast

http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/ferrari-laferrari-first-drive-car-review-top-gear-2014-04-29

I don't care how fast this car is, or how loud it may sound.. it has been FATALLY wounded by its name. No one can take it seriously.

Imagine LaFerrari showing up to a meeting of Porsches and Ferraris.. Imagine how the owner will be ribbed...

"LaFerrari" just sounds so wrong. Sounds like what a rich guy would buy his wife. A Ferrari in nice pastel colors with matching couture, seats by Channel and a five speed automatic.

"IlFerrari" is much better. That's what the rich guy would drive in Monaco.

Better yet, just call it Ferrari Pan America Competizione 450TT or something like that.

I don't care if they called it LaFerrari Squigward Lady Gaga Justin Bieber Anniversary Edition.

They sold out their entire production run before the first one was ever shown. This car is amazing. No name can kill it.

Bah, humbug. Just another toy.

I had more respect for Ferrari when Enzo was around. He used to sell cars that were fast, strong and fairly dependable.

Nowadays they just sell garage queens that need constant maintenance and are sold as toys to the very rich.

And those mirrors.. those mirrors.. come on, it looks like a Bumble Bee

La Ferrari con la antena di Bumblela Bee

Honestly, I respect Porsche.. they keep the GT classes alive. Real cars (expensive) but real cars.

Tony, it's a well known fact that Ferrari's are much more reliable than they ever were in the past, and can easily serve as daily drivers, even though most owners choose not to use them that way. The NSX was the car that made that happen, unfortunately, that is about where it stopped.

This is a STONKING fast car, and resets the bar that is expected of a top level supercar, simple as that. Too bad Honda has been so buys blowing hot air, they will probably be nowhere close to it by the time the NSX hits the market. It's questionable whether they will even be able to match supercars at a fraction of the LaFerrari's price by then.

Remember when Honda was going to show the world what was up by displaying how awesome hybrids could be? Looks like they will have to settle for #4 (yes, #4) in line.

Honda has been such a laughable series of mis-fires lately it is simply remarkable how unable they are to execute anything. My how the mighty have fallen. Check it out too, Ferrari, McLaren, Porsche, Audi and Ford have all managed to hang onto high revving engines, which used to be Honda's forte, and the best we get is an Accord engine that can barelyl clear 7K RPM, and isn't as happy as it should be doing it.

DEFINE DAILY DRIVER. Yes you can, but oh my goodness, not only will you have a heart attack from bad road conditions, but the maintenance... the maintenance...

Let's be honest though:

1) As a function of cost, Ferraris are no where near as expensive as they used to be (mostly as a function of not needing as much car as opposed to less expensive care). Also, as a function of cost, they are not really out of line with their purchases prices.

2) The NSX isn't exactly a Honda Accord to maintain cost wise. Yes, it perhaps needs less TLC than your average supercar, but it isn't exactly cheap to run either.

jshaw
Profile for jshaw
Re: Top Gear Drives LaFerrari    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-03-2014 04:48
^^ Even a Lexus LS isn't cheap to maintain. Not even the original models. They may be reliable, but the parts are not cheap, and those parts, just like any other, will need replacement over time. Some bits are more labor intensive than others (like the valley mounted starter motor in the 4L V8s).
danielgr
Profile for danielgr
Re: Top Gear Drives LaFerrari    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-03-2014 07:18
BelizeSixMT wrote:
A77X wrote:
Shouldnt it be LeFerrari. Cars are masculine - in French and Spanish anyway. So in France is it called le LaFerrari.

All these performance hybrids....the original Accord Hybrid was so ahead of its time....

Incorrect. Cars are feminine in french. Hence La voiture.
Don't know if anyone pointed it out yet, but just in case:
- Both "coche" / "automóvil" are masculine in Spanish
- "Automobile" is masculine in French, but "voiture" is feminine
- this car is neither Spanish nor French, but Italian, and therefore it has the proper name, because cars are commonly called "macchina" in Italian, or if you want "automobile", but both are feminine.

Bottom line, it's an amazing car wearing just about the perfect name. That is, since it summarizes the best of the best Ferrari can put on the road, their pure essence, it's simple called "The Ferrari", because this car is not just "a Ferrari".
And I'm sure that the few uber-rich getting one do appreciate having it named in its original Italian language; after all, being Italian makes part of the exoticism of the brand, something which no German car will ever get close to.

PS: Hopefully they only built them in RED, because hell it would hurt if I ever see one in gray around...

Thread Page - 1 [2]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
29 mobile: 0