[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
BBC: Honda set to close Swindon factory in 2022
More.......................
Nikkei: Honda enters agreement with CATL for battery supply contract through 2027
Acura Marks 30 Years Since Debut of Iconic NSX Supercar
American Honda reports January sales
Acura Marks 15th Anniversary of Super Handling All-Wheel Drive™
Honda releases pricing and EPA information for 2019 Passport
American Honda Reports December Sales
American Honda Reports November Sales
Type R --> Re: DC-R
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Swindon in peril
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Timid AHM marketing
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2019 Pre-Season Testing - Days 1-4
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda Loses a $38 Million Liability Lawsuit
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Poor reliability scores for Honda and Acura
Join Discussion......
TOV Asia --> Re: Honda JP Sales 2018: Hybrids make up 55% of reg. cars
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda's new sub-brand Honda e
Join Discussion......
Amateur Racing & Driving --> Re: My first helmet !
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: Honda closing UK plant that builds the Type R
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Original NSX prototype only had a SOHC V6 without VTEC
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Rumours that Honda will close its Swindon plant
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Sunny came home with a mission
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: 2019 F1 Releases/Launches
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: Type R bike carrier
Join Discussion......
2019 Honda Passport PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
2019 Acura NSX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura ILX
2019 Acura ILX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Pilot
2019 Honda Pilot PR Photo Gallery

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > General Talk > > Re: Top Gear Drives LaFerrari

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1] 2
Author
  Post New Thread
BG
Profile for BG
Top Gear Drives LaFerrari    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-30-2014 10:24
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
And before I say anything else, can everyone stop referring to the car as the LaFerrari.... it's LaFerrari plain and simples..... good, now that that's off my chest......Just listen to this beast

http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/ferrari-laferrari-first-drive-car-review-top-gear-2014-04-29

PolishedMetal6MT
Profile for PolishedMetal6MT
Re: Top Gear Drives LaFerrari    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-30-2014 10:53
"LaFerrari" IS the name of the Ferrari. That's exactly the silliness of the name; that it translates to "TheFerrari". But since that's the name, one refers to it as "The LaFerrari".
JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: Top Gear Drives LaFerrari    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-30-2014 11:22
BG wrote:
And before I say anything else, can everyone stop referring to the car as the LaFerrari.... it's LaFerrari plain and simples..... good, now that that's off my chest......Just listen to this beast

http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/ferrari-laferrari-first-drive-car-review-top-gear-2014-04-29

wow! amazing car.

A77X
Profile for A77X
Re: Top Gear Drives LaFerrari    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-30-2014 13:12
Shouldnt it be LeFerrari. Cars are masculine - in French and Spanish anyway. So in France is it called le LaFerrari.

All these performance hybrids....the original Accord Hybrid was so ahead of its time....

A77X
Profile for A77X
Re: Top Gear Drives LaFerrari    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-30-2014 13:15
"Forget all you know about fast: this is a whole new stratosphere of performance, a relentless accumulation of speed accompanied by the greatest automotive soundtrack in the world. You don't so much accelerate in LaFerrari as warp scenery. As the V12 screams its way to the 9250rpm redline, the Italian countryside is hauled back and fired out of the rearview mirror.

As the LaFerrari pours down this tight and broken strand of tarmac, there's a hypnotic violence to proceedings: second, third, fourth, brake hard, down two gears, dual clutch box firing ratios faster than you can process, accelerate, third, fourth, repeat...

It's violent, visceral, synapse snapping, and utterly, utterly addictive"

Great journalism if I may say.

RSX
Profile for RSX
Re: Top Gear Drives LaFerrari    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-30-2014 15:47
BG wrote:

If the upcoming NSX does what I hope it will do, it's amazing that it will cost you about $1.2M more to get 5% better performance. The cost of diminishing returns will be in play here for sure.

PolishedMetal6MT
Profile for PolishedMetal6MT
Re: Top Gear Drives LaFerrari    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-30-2014 15:57
A77X wrote:
Shouldnt it be LeFerrari. Cars are masculine - in French and Spanish anyway. So in France is it called le LaFerrari.

All these performance hybrids....the original Accord Hybrid was so ahead of its time....

Incorrect. Cars are feminine in french. Hence La voiture.

bigblue
Profile for bigblue
Top Gear Drives LaFerrari, so does evo    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-30-2014 18:12

owequitit
Profile for owequitit
Re: Top Gear Drives LaFerrari    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-30-2014 18:23
A77X wrote:
"Forget all you know about fast: this is a whole new stratosphere of performance, a relentless accumulation of speed accompanied by the greatest automotive soundtrack in the world. You don't so much accelerate in LaFerrari as warp scenery. As the V12 screams its way to the 9250rpm redline, the Italian countryside is hauled back and fired out of the rearview mirror.

As the LaFerrari pours down this tight and broken strand of tarmac, there's a hypnotic violence to proceedings: second, third, fourth, brake hard, down two gears, dual clutch box firing ratios faster than you can process, accelerate, third, fourth, repeat...

It's violent, visceral, synapse snapping, and utterly, utterly addictive"

Great journalism if I may say.

Apparently, Ferrari, Porsche, Lamborghini, Audi, and Ford didn't get the memo that cars can't have high-revving engines anymore...

A77X
Profile for A77X
Re: Top Gear Drives LaFerrari    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-30-2014 21:39
my bad re Car being masculine. I am forgetting - I was thinking l'auto or Mon auto, but even that is masculine. There was of course Le Car....
Stien Azani
Profile for Stien Azani
Re: Top Gear Drives LaFerrari    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-01-2014 00:26
it stated:

LaFerrari: the specs

Internal combustion engine:
Rear-mid-engined 6262cc V12, 789bhp @ 9,000rpm, 516lb ft @ 6,750rpm

Electric:
161bhp, 199lb ft, 330g/km CO2

Combined:
950bhp and over 663lb ft

950hp from 789hp (engine) + 161hp (electric motor)

it exactly combine output... as i still can remember, lot of people here the total output for hybrid car is not just simply combine both output.. or are we talking of different type of hybrid car here? and what about the total output for NSXv2? this type of hybrid or IMA/SynergyHybrid style?

RolledaNsx
Profile for RolledaNsx
Re: Top Gear Drives LaFerrari    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-01-2014 00:56
Stien Azani wrote:
it stated:

LaFerrari: the specs

Internal combustion engine:
Rear-mid-engined 6262cc V12, 789bhp @ 9,000rpm, 516lb ft @ 6,750rpm

Electric:
161bhp, 199lb ft, 330g/km CO2

Combined:
950bhp and over 663lb ft

950hp from 789hp (engine) + 161hp (electric motor)

it exactly combine output... as i still can remember, lot of people here the total output for hybrid car is not just simply combine both output.. or are we talking of different type of hybrid car here? and what about the total output for NSXv2? this type of hybrid or IMA/SynergyHybrid style?

ICE and Electric Motor hit their peak power at different times(rpm).Honda is the only company that post the true combine max peak power but it makes Honda hybrid engines look weak compared to the comp.

The Ferrari is different than the 918 and P1 because it's not a EV(no plug in or EV only mode).The Ferrari electric motor gives boost thru all gears all the time(no clutch).You hit the throttle and you get the ICE and Electric Motor together all the time.The battery is recharged by regeneration braking or engine(when full torque isn't needed).

Dren
Profile for Dren
Re: Top Gear Drives LaFerrari    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-01-2014 08:40
Huh, I wonder why they chose the 161hp motor... :)
longhorn
Profile for longhorn
Re: Top Gear Drives LaFerrari, so does evo    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-01-2014 09:15
bigblue wrote:

Speechless...............just speechless. That beautiful sound.

I am reminded of a Ferrari Ad in Road &Track from 80s. It read, " We are the competition"...................Amen.

longhorn
Profile for longhorn
Re: Top Gear Drives LaFerrari    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-01-2014 09:40
The first of two embargoes fall today on the LaFerrari. Here is a detailed and very well done video review from Autocar magazine. The Euros seems to be better at these types of reviews.

As to the car, simply amazing. I look forward to the LaFerrari vs McLaren P1 compare too.

I am sure the NSX engineers are watching these reviews too.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-video/video-laferrari-maranellos-new-950bhp-masterpiece-reviewed

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Top Gear Drives LaFerrari    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-01-2014 15:57
BG wrote:

I don't care how fast this car is, or how loud it may sound.. it has been FATALLY wounded by its name. No one can take it seriously.

Imagine LaFerrari showing up to a meeting of Porsches and Ferraris.. Imagine how the owner will be ribbed...

"LaFerrari" just sounds so wrong. Sounds like what a rich guy would buy his wife. A Ferrari in nice pastel colors with matching couture, seats by Channel and a five speed automatic.

"IlFerrari" is much better. That's what the rich guy would drive in Monaco.

Better yet, just call it Ferrari Pan America Competizione 450TT or something like that.

JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: Top Gear Drives LaFerrari    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-01-2014 17:35
TonyEX wrote:
BG wrote:

I don't care how fast this car is, or how loud it may sound.. it has been FATALLY wounded by its name. No one can take it seriously.

Imagine LaFerrari showing up to a meeting of Porsches and Ferraris.. Imagine how the owner will be ribbed...

"LaFerrari" just sounds so wrong. Sounds like what a rich guy would buy his wife. A Ferrari in nice pastel colors with matching couture, seats by Channel and a five speed automatic.

Better yet, just call it Ferrari Pan America Competizione 450TT or something like that.

I don't care if they called it LaFerrari Squigward Lady Gaga Justin Bieber Anniversary Edition.

They sold out their entire production run before the first one was ever shown. This car is amazing. No name can kill it.

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Top Gear Drives LaFerrari    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-01-2014 18:03
JeffX wrote:
TonyEX wrote:
BG wrote:

I don't care if they called it LaFerrari Squigward Lady Gaga Justin Bieber Anniversary Edition.

They sold out their entire production run before the first one was ever shown. This car is amazing. No name can kill it.

Bah, humbug. Just another toy.

I had more respect for Ferrari when Enzo was around. He used to sell cars that were fast, strong and fairly dependable.

Nowadays they just sell garage queens that need constant maintenance and are sold as toys to the very rich.

And those mirrors.. those mirrors.. come on, it looks like a Bumble Bee

La Ferrari con la antena di Bumblela Bee

Honestly, I respect Porsche.. they keep the GT classes alive. Real cars (expensive) but real cars.

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Top Gear Drives LaFerrari    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-01-2014 18:09
Dren wrote:
Huh, I wonder why they chose the 161hp motor... :)

Hey, I just realized...

That's like LaAccord Hybrid? ;-)

At "wide open throttle" the electric motor gets juice both from the battery AND the ICE.

In fact, because the batteries are not so big, there is always a half a second of the line before power is achieved... the ICE needs to spin up. Being a 2 liter, it's fast, but it's still not like a quick ICE with a clutch and a nice 6MT.

However, once the ICE spools up LaAccord gets going pretty fast. I'd like to see the numbers for 5-60 mph which I think will be quite faster than the full 0-60 number.

Jeff?

bigblue
Profile for bigblue
Re: Top Gear Drives LaFerrari    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-01-2014 19:24
You make no sense. Have some confidence. If you love the car, who cares what it's called ? It's for you, not others. If you don't like it, fair enough. The name may be silly, but it's incidental.
sadlerau
Profile for sadlerau
Re: Top Gear Drives LaFerrari    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-01-2014 19:28
Tony firstly I'm with Jeff, a car that good can be called anything and I'd buy it [if ONLY I had the money :)]. Secondly LaFerrari is a perfectly good name, and in Italian it rolls off the tongue beautifully. Only problem for Ferrari is what they call the next super, supercar??
Grace141
Profile for Grace141
Re: Top Gear Drives LaFerrari    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-01-2014 19:29
I think we're all overlooking the LeCar connection here. The next new Ferrari model could just be the Fugo.

RolledaNsx
Profile for RolledaNsx
Re: Top Gear Drives LaFerrari    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-01-2014 19:36
sadlerau wrote:
Tony firstly I'm with Jeff, a car that good can be called anything and I'd buy it [if ONLY I had the money :)]. Secondly LaFerrari is a perfectly good name, and in Italian it rolls off the tongue beautifully. Only problem for Ferrari is what they call the next super, supercar??

LaFerrari XX I wonder if that means double the fun like in adult movies? next XXX triple the fun? :) LOL

CarPhreakD
Profile for CarPhreakD
Re: Top Gear Drives LaFerrari    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-01-2014 20:10
JeffX wrote:
TonyEX wrote:
BG wrote:

Easy to see why... pretty much all of these limited Ferraris end up being sold out because they're rare, have to be offered to existing (and important) Ferrari clients, and are guaranteed to appreciate in value. It's as much about owning a historical icon as it is a good investment.

I don't know if Ferrari will ever get into the dick-waving contest with Porsche and McLaren (more like self fapping, in the case of McLaren, "of course"), but the car is very cool... not from an engineering standpoint but from the fact that it sounds incredible!

owequitit
Profile for owequitit
Re: Top Gear Drives LaFerrari    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-01-2014 20:16
TonyEX wrote:
JeffX wrote:
TonyEX wrote:
BG wrote:

I had more respect for Ferrari when Enzo was around. He used to sell cars that were fast, strong and fairly dependable.

Nowadays they just sell garage queens that need constant maintenance and are sold as toys to the very rich.

Honestly, I respect Porsche.. they keep the GT classes alive. Real cars (expensive) but real cars.

Tony, it's a well known fact that Ferrari's are much more reliable than they ever were in the past, and can easily serve as daily drivers, even though most owners choose not to use them that way. The NSX was the car that made that happen, unfortunately, that is about where it stopped.

This is a STONKING fast car, and resets the bar that is expected of a top level supercar, simple as that. Too bad Honda has been so buys blowing hot air, they will probably be nowhere close to it by the time the NSX hits the market. It's questionable whether they will even be able to match supercars at a fraction of the LaFerrari's price by then.

Remember when Honda was going to show the world what was up by displaying how awesome hybrids could be? Looks like they will have to settle for #4 (yes, #4) in line.

Honda has been such a laughable series of mis-fires lately it is simply remarkable how unable they are to execute anything. My how the mighty have fallen. Check it out too, Ferrari, McLaren, Porsche, Audi and Ford have all managed to hang onto high revving engines, which used to be Honda's forte, and the best we get is an Accord engine that can barelyl clear 7K RPM, and isn't as happy as it should be doing it.

RolledaNsx
Profile for RolledaNsx
Re: Top Gear Drives LaFerrari    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-01-2014 20:22
I have a friend who has a company that rents supercars for a track day. Ferrari 458,Lambo,Porsche 911 GT3,GT-R

And guess which one breaks down the most?

GT-R

It is in the shop about three times more than the others!

longhorn
Profile for longhorn
Re: Top Gear Drives LaFerrari    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-01-2014 20:22
CarPhreakD wrote:
JeffX wrote:
TonyEX wrote:
BG wrote:

Easy to see why... pretty much all of these limited Ferraris end up being sold out because they're rare, have to be offered to existing (and important) Ferrari clients, and are guaranteed to appreciate in value. It's as much about owning a historical icon as it is a good investment.

I don't know if Ferrari will ever get into the dick-waving contest with Porsche and McLaren (more like self fapping, in the case of McLaren, "of course"), but the car is very cool... not from an engineering standpoint but from the fact that it sounds incredible!

What do you mean it's not cool from an engineering standpoint?

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Top Gear Drives LaFerrari    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-01-2014 20:48
owequitit wrote:
TonyEX wrote:
JeffX wrote:
TonyEX wrote:
BG wrote:

Tony, it's a well known fact that Ferrari's are much more reliable than they ever were in the past, and can easily serve as daily drivers, even though most owners choose not to use them that way. The NSX was the car that made that happen, unfortunately, that is about where it stopped.

This is a STONKING fast car, and resets the bar that is expected of a top level supercar, simple as that. Too bad Honda has been so buys blowing hot air, they will probably be nowhere close to it by the time the NSX hits the market. It's questionable whether they will even be able to match supercars at a fraction of the LaFerrari's price by then.

Remember when Honda was going to show the world what was up by displaying how awesome hybrids could be? Looks like they will have to settle for #4 (yes, #4) in line.

Honda has been such a laughable series of mis-fires lately it is simply remarkable how unable they are to execute anything. My how the mighty have fallen. Check it out too, Ferrari, McLaren, Porsche, Audi and Ford have all managed to hang onto high revving engines, which used to be Honda's forte, and the best we get is an Accord engine that can barelyl clear 7K RPM, and isn't as happy as it should be doing it.

IMHO, Honda has lost its way because it has forgotten about SIMPLICITY.

Let the Euros come up with hugely complex machines, let the other Japanese come out with mobile Transformers with Ginza at Night dashes.

Honda should be all about light weight and simplicity.

And perhaps, allow a little bit of smog, huh?

I guess that Ito pulled back so much after Lehman that HMC has lost four years of time.

I'd say that Honda is on its way back, though. It looks like they are doing it the hard way by redoing their core first: Accord, Civic ('13 was a big change) and now the Fit/HRV are finally coming into full production for NA consumption.

The CRV so far is doing fine and the Odyssey is doing well.

Time will tell if the TLX is as good as the Accord. If it is, then fixes to the ILX ought to be reasonable.

Only then can you really expect a real supercar... as it is, I'd rather they'd dump the NSX and just build a successor to the S2K and then redo the RLX ASAP.

Then, then, then, build a lightweight supercar with a small V8 and eSH-AWD.

Oh, btw. the Accord Hybrid is a grand slam... I guess the Fit Hybrid is also quite good... assuming they finally fixed the firmware controls in the transmission.

So, it's not bad. I dare say than HMC can not pay the bills with the NSX...

Meanwhile, I still think the mirrors in La Signora Ferrari are too much like a bug's antennae.

CarPhreakD
Profile for CarPhreakD
Re: Top Gear Drives LaFerrari    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-02-2014 00:14
Don't get your panties in a knot, I'm just saying that the coolest part about the Ferrari is the sound it makes, not so much that the engineering is uncool. But in the company of the other two flagship supercars, it's not like the engineering is anything special, just a different interpretation.
CarPhreakD
Profile for CarPhreakD
Re: Top Gear Drives LaFerrari    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-02-2014 00:17
owequitit wrote:
TonyEX wrote:
JeffX wrote:
TonyEX wrote:
BG wrote:

DEFINE DAILY DRIVER. Yes you can, but oh my goodness, not only will you have a heart attack from bad road conditions, but the maintenance... the maintenance...

Thread Page - [1] 2
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
30 mobile: 0