[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
BBC: Honda set to close Swindon factory in 2022
More.......................
Nikkei: Honda enters agreement with CATL for battery supply contract through 2027
Acura Marks 30 Years Since Debut of Iconic NSX Supercar
American Honda reports January sales
Acura Marks 15th Anniversary of Super Handling All-Wheel Drive™
Honda releases pricing and EPA information for 2019 Passport
American Honda Reports December Sales
American Honda Reports November Sales
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2019 Pre-Season Testing - Days 1-4
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Swindon in peril
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: 2020 Honda Fit Render
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Kandi EV Approved for US
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda Loses a $38 Million Liability Lawsuit
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: DC-R
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Timid AHM marketing
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Poor reliability scores for Honda and Acura
Join Discussion......
TOV Asia --> Re: Honda JP Sales 2018: Hybrids make up 55% of reg. cars
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda's new sub-brand Honda e
Join Discussion......
Amateur Racing & Driving --> Re: My first helmet !
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: Honda closing UK plant that builds the Type R
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Original NSX prototype only had a SOHC V6 without VTEC
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Rumours that Honda will close its Swindon plant
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Sunny came home with a mission
Join Discussion......
2019 Honda Passport PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
2019 Acura NSX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura ILX
2019 Acura ILX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Pilot
2019 Honda Pilot PR Photo Gallery

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > TSX > > Re: Windshield "Wings"

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
CanTeX
Profile for CanTeX
Windshield "Wings"    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-04-2014 18:06
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
In my many years of driving, including ownership of 28 vehicles, I have never seen anything like this.

During our trek from DFW to Austin, in a heavy headwind, the body-color trim piece that runs beside the windshield from the fender to the roof just came off! Fortunately I was able to pull over and grab it before it disappeared completely.

The Acura dealer service writer said, "Oh yeah, there's a service bulletin out on that. We'll replace the pieces on both sides of the windshield?" Huh? Known issue? Has anybody else seen this?

2010 TSX. I have to go back because they didn't have any in Basque Red Pearl parts in stock.

BTW, this lady seems to know a heck of a lot more about cars than the other doofuses that occupy the service writer lane. Very refreshing and very little explaining needed.

BG
Profile for BG
Re: Windshield "Wings"    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-05-2014 04:24
Yeah, the same issue is affecting Accords in Europe of the equivalent model.

DCR
Profile for DCR
Re: Windshield "Wings"    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-05-2014 12:55
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs/jaxrs/download/doc/UCM433975/CSC-10045219-9895.pdf

Service Bulletin No.: SB-12-015

Component(s): STRUCTURE NHTSA ID Number: 10045219

All Products Associated with this Service Bulletin

ACURA TSX 2009-2010
Details

Manufacturer: Honda (American Honda Motor Co.)

SUMMARY:

ACURA: SEE DOCUMENT SEARCH BUTTON FOR OWNER LETTER. UPDATED INFORMATION PERTAINING TO ROOF MOLDING THAT LIFT IN MIDDLE DURING HIGH WINDS AND FRONT OR REAR RETENTION CLIP COMES LOOSE. *PE

CanTeX
Profile for CanTeX
Re: Windshield "Wings"    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-05-2014 16:52
Yep, driving 75 mph into a 30 mph breeze, with lots of buffeting.

Interesting that this is just a service bulletin and not a recall. I have had what-if visions that if the piece had fallen all the way off, gotten picked up by a large truck, then flung across the barrier into an oncoming car, it would make nasty high-speed spear.

Anyway, all fixed today. Glue in addition to the clips.

Thanks for the info!

acuraguyX
Profile for acuraguyX
Re: Windshield "Wings"    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-05-2014 20:59
Same happened to me on my 09' TSX. Glued it down myself. Drove it for another 2 years and returned it. It was a lease
EternalShadowAW
Profile for EternalShadowAW
Re: Windshield "Wings"    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-06-2014 10:16
Nothing new. This happened to my 1999 Accord when it was really hot out in Southern CA during the summer. It was hanging on there, flapping in the wind at 85 mph. At a gas station, we shoved a piece of tanbark to get the base to stay in, and then duct taped the heck out of it. More permanent solution was to reglue the whole thing, hasn't given any problems since
CanTeX
Profile for CanTeX
Re: Windshield "Wings"    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-06-2014 12:47
Well, it was warranty so I got to enjoy the dealer's coffee on two separate days and shoot the s**t with the general manager, the service manager (who I knew from another dealer) and the sales guy who sold my son his RDX. Not all wasted effort.

Interesting that "bullet proof" Honda products would fail in such an area. (Not to mention the four transmissions my '01 TL had in its 180,000 miles before it went away.)

a.) I'm retired
b.) It got me out of the house for a while. :-)

JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: Windshield "Wings"    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-06-2014 14:21
CanTex wrote:
Well, it was warranty so I got to enjoy the dealer's coffee on two separate days and shoot the s**t with the general manager, the service manager (who I knew from another dealer) and the sales guy who sold my son his RDX. Not all wasted effort.

Interesting that "bullet proof" Honda products would fail in such an area. (Not to mention the four transmissions my '01 TL had in its 180,000 miles before it went away.)

a.) I'm retired
b.) It got me out of the house for a while. :-)

It sounds like the clips they used may not have been fully up to the task.

We had a 1998 Volvo V70 that was pretty much brand new (a couple weeks old) when we took it on its first road trip, to Hilton Head island for a family beach vacation. On the way down there, I was passing a truck on I-16 and just as we cleared the air wake of the 18 wheeler, I suddenly heard a very loud knocking sound and it was very persistent. It startled us but I didn't want to just whip the car off the road immediately because we were in the midst of a bunch of trucks and the left shoulder just didn't have a lot of room. I slowed up and slotted behind the truck I had been passing and then pulled off into the right hand shoulder. Imagine my surprise when I got out of the car and saw our entire passenger-side headlight assembly just dangling, barely hanging on by the wiring harness. In a way, I was thankful that the harness held onto it, but since it did hang onto it, the 5-8lb assembly did a good number on all of the surrounding body panels as it whipped in the 75mph wind like some sort of crazed nunchaku. I carefully fed the wiring loom back into the opening in the fender and then looked to see where the mounting bolts should have been for the headlights. To my surprise, there were none. It was literally a snap fit design with some spring clips. So I thought "well, maybe at the factory they didn't snap it in hard enough". I snapped the headlight assembly back into place and off we went. This was to START our vacation so there was no way I was going to turn around and drive 2.5-3 hours back to Atlanta. But the damage to our hood and fender was sickening. Lots of dents - many of them minor but some were pretty significant. Lots of paint damage. UGH. Well, we made it alright the rest of the way into Hilton head and I didn't think about it for that week. But i did call our dealer and let them know what had happened. I actually owned a digital camera way back then so I took some photos to show the service guy when I got back. Well, on our way home, very close to the same area where I had the first incident, the same sort of thing happened. Passing a large truck, I suddenly heard that knocking sound, but this time I didn't hear it for very long. This time the assembly just snapped free. I pulled over again, backed up the car on the shoulder a ways and then went out looking for the assembly. I couldn't find it. So we drove straight to the Volvo dealer when we got back to Atlanta and they were pretty embarrassed (the GM of the dealership was one of my neighbors). They didn't have any of the assemblies in stock, but they had about 200 S/V70s in inventory, so I watched the service manager walk out and snap a headlight assembly off one of the cars sitting in inventory and he plugged it on the car, put some sort of heavy duty tape on to make sure it wouldn't pop off again, gave us an appointment for a return visit and sent us on our way. They paid for all the body and paintwork and in 4 years of ownership, we never had that problem again, but man, it was not a good way to start off our first European car ownership experience.

CanTeX
Profile for CanTeX
Re: Windshield "Wings"    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-06-2014 16:29
That reminds me of my '72 Volvo 144, purchased new, where all the lights rusted from the inside out. That was the least of the car's woes over the next four years. When asked what I thought of the car I always used to say "Great seats!"

Of course this was the beginning of the Dark Days in the automobile world that were the 1970s and 1980s.

That's when I learned that POS didn't mean Point Of Sale.

A77X
Profile for A77X
Re: Windshield "Wings"    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-17-2014 09:20
my dad had a 72 Volvo 144. Bought on impulse on a trip to the dealer to get ice cream (bizarrely Bells of Northampton, still there afaik, had a frozen food department). It was the owners demo. Replaced his 122S. He had it till 85 though the last 5 years it was in storage. I don't remember any real problems, except it was slow. I drove it now and then. Great brakes (and seats). It was the first year with the modern interior but still had the hand brake by the door. It was Oranges red and had a vinyl roof, which was extremely rare on those models, as very hard to install. Toned down the orange.
CanTeX
Profile for CanTeX
Re: Windshield "Wings"    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-18-2014 13:42
A77X wrote:
my dad had a 72 Volvo 144. Bought on impulse on a trip to the dealer to get ice cream (bizarrely Bells of Northampton, still there afaik, had a frozen food department). It was the owners demo. Replaced his 122S. He had it till 85 though the last 5 years it was in storage. I don't remember any real problems, except it was slow. I drove it now and then. Great brakes (and seats). It was the first year with the modern interior but still had the hand brake by the door. It was Oranges red and had a vinyl roof, which was extremely rare on those models, as very hard to install. Toned down the orange.

Mine was that sickly pea green, automatic. My first Volvo was a PV544 with the B16 3-main engine. Those thick fenders were awesome for bouncing off snow banks NE of Toronto. The logical move would have been to a 122 but a buddy bought a Corvair Corsa and I was hooked. Then my bride thrashed the clutch on my '70 Barracuda. Amongst all the crap on the market back then the Volvo made the most sense. It was replaced by a Hornet Sportabout because kids were on the way. The Sportabout was the inspiration for the Crosstour. Everything hit Reset when moved to the U.S. In '79. Whole new ballgame.

CanTeX
Profile for CanTeX
Re: Windshield "Wings"    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-18-2014 13:46
A77X wrote:

Mine was that sickly pea green, automatic. My first Volvo was a PV544 with the B16 3-main engine. Those thick fenders were awesome for bouncing off snow banks NE of Toronto. The logical move would have been to a 122 but a buddy bought a Corvair Corsa and I was hooked. Then my bride thrashed the clutch on my '70 Barracuda. Amongst all the crap on the market back then the Volvo made the most sense. It was replaced by a Hornet Sportabout because kids were on the way. The Sportabout was the inspiration for the Crosstour. Everything hit Reset when moved to the U.S. In '79. Whole new ballgame.

CanTeX
Profile for CanTeX
Re: Windshield "Wings"    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-18-2014 13:52
A77X wrote:

Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
29 mobile: 0