[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
BBC: Honda set to close Swindon factory in 2022
More.......................
Nikkei: Honda enters agreement with CATL for battery supply contract through 2027
Acura Marks 30 Years Since Debut of Iconic NSX Supercar
American Honda reports January sales
Acura Marks 15th Anniversary of Super Handling All-Wheel Drive™
Honda releases pricing and EPA information for 2019 Passport
American Honda Reports December Sales
American Honda Reports November Sales
General Talk --> Re: Facts about HMA - 60 years of AHM - 50 years of CB750
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Said Goodbye to the MDX Today
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Will Honda join Aston Martin and Red Bull with Sports Cars
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Z6 head studs
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - Toro Rosso STR14 Pictures
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: DC-R
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda Loses a $38 Million Liability Lawsuit
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2019 Pre-Season Testing - Days 1-4
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: 2020 Honda Fit Render
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Swindon in peril
Join Discussion......
Audio & Electronics --> Re: Lynyrd Skynyrd
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Kandi EV Approved for US
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Timid AHM marketing
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Poor reliability scores for Honda and Acura
Join Discussion......
TOV Asia --> Re: Honda JP Sales 2018: Hybrids make up 55% of reg. cars
Join Discussion......
2019 Honda Passport PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
2019 Acura NSX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura ILX
2019 Acura ILX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Pilot
2019 Honda Pilot PR Photo Gallery

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > TSX > > Re: ECU Corrosion issue.

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
Hondatalover
Profile for Hondatalover
ECU Corrosion issue.    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-02-2013 17:23
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
So for the last few weeks I've been getting call after call to bring the TSX into the dealer to have the ECU and under carriage inspected for rust and corrosion of sorts.

Well I remember reading about the recall a while back and I thought only Northern state TSX's were effected by the recall? I'm in North Carolina and don't really consider that Northern Northern as we don't receive nearly as much snow or as harsh as of winters as some. I could be wrong on this, but I don't think our roads are salted as heavily either, if any.

So I don't think this was too necessary as we've had the car for almost 5 years now and haven't notice any issues with stalling, failed starts or anything during our owner ship. We don't take the TSX out in the snow because we never put winter tires on it and because we also own a 1999 Z71 4X4 that we do prep for the winter and drive in when needed to in the snow.

But it's being taken in anyway 'just to see' what the dealer has to say. While there I think I'm going to talk to the manager about getting the PCB replaced even though it's out of warranty, it's still annoying and I'm sure the dealers know just how common and frustrating the issue it. I doubt price will be negotiable but it doesn't hurt to ask and they can;t fix it with out permission anyway so why not. Re-tinting the windows is also needed, as the factory tint on the front windows has started the pill where the windows seals into at the top of the door frame and the rear passenger window has a long bubble in it near the top as well. Would be nice to snag some new headlights too since mine are oxidized all to hell.

I bet the price for just those two things to be fixed/ replaced would be outrageous but we'll see what they say.

Appointment is on Tuesday.

LudeLeRoy
Profile for LudeLeRoy
Re: ECU Corrosion issue.    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-02-2013 22:09
Hondatalover wrote:
So for the last few weeks I've been getting call after call to bring the TSX into the dealer to have the ECU and under carriage inspected for rust and corrosion of sorts.

Well I remember reading about the recall a while back and I thought only Northern state TSX's were effected by the recall? I'm in North Carolina and don't really consider that Northern Northern as we don't receive nearly as much snow or as harsh as of winters as some. I could be wrong on this, but I don't think our roads are salted as heavily either, if any.

So I don't think this was too necessary as we've had the car for almost 5 years now and haven't notice any issues with stalling, failed starts or anything during our owner ship. We don't take the TSX out in the snow because we never put winter tires on it and because we also own a 1999 Z71 4X4 that we do prep for the winter and drive in when needed to in the snow.

But it's being taken in anyway 'just to see' what the dealer has to say. While there I think I'm going to talk to the manager about getting the PCB replaced even though it's out of warranty, it's still annoying and I'm sure the dealers know just how common and frustrating the issue it. I doubt price will be negotiable but it doesn't hurt to ask and they can;t fix it with out permission anyway so why not. Re-tinting the windows is also needed, as the factory tint on the front windows has started the pill where the windows seals into at the top of the door frame and the rear passenger window has a long bubble in it near the top as well. Would be nice to snag some new headlights too since mine are oxidized all to hell.

I bet the price for just those two things to be fixed/ replaced would be outrageous but we'll see what they say.

Appointment is on Tuesday.

Just based on your location and lack of in-snow driving - I'd wager a guess that you ECU is fine.

I'm in New England and drive in snow, slush etc. and they go nuts with the liquid salt crap so I'm at much greater risk and still ok so far.

PS: I did Hondata Reflash a year ago and my ECU didn't seem corroded at all (maybe due to my rubber floor mats?). If you've done the Reflash - did you happen to notice to condition of your ECU then?

Slawsk
Profile for Slawsk
Re: ECU Corrosion issue.    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-02-2013 22:26
There is no issue with your TSX ECU, correct? No need to replace PCB. If it ain't broke, don't mess with it! Believe me, it will show a check engine light or worse if there truly is something wrong with it...

When your ECU gives you trouble, you can buy a used ECU from an auto recycler and have it programmed @ a dealership for your keys which were tethered to your old ECU. This is a very minor issue which affected maybe a few dozen TSXs.

And there was no factory tint on your TSX, just an aftermarket installation peeling at the top of the glass...

If you have a moisture leak in your headlights, then you ought to get them replaced. Otherwise, if it's just a yellowed lens on the outside, you need 3M headlight lens restoration.

Hondatalover
Profile for Hondatalover
Re: ECU Corrosion issue.    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-03-2013 00:09
@ Lude, no I do not have a Hondata Reflash (I want it!) or have ever seen my ECU --never had a reason to look at it. I know ours is fine but Acura insists to check it.

@ Slawsk, by PCB I meant the PCB inside the Radio unite that controls the Dash lights. The 04-05 TSX's had a major issues with it overheating, blowing capacitors and breaking solder connections resulting in the dash lights such as the Radio, HVAC, function buttons ect. lights not illuminating. It does not effect the gauges.

After some thought, I am concerned with them peaking inside. Especially if there is nothing wrong, I'm sure they'll come back saying something just so they can get their money. But then again when I had my Passenger window switch replaced (The spring was poking through plastic switch and you couldn't control the window, it would constantly go up and down randomly) they fixed it and nothing else was touched, so I think my dealer is actually one of the few better ones.

Again, we'll see. I'm actually excited to go up there just to check out the new Acura's. I sorta want to go sit in an ILX just to make me happier to be in a TSX. Also want to test out the Krell Audio system and play around in a few MDX's. They said it'll take an hour so I'll have time.

Hondatalover
Profile for Hondatalover
Re: ECU Corrosion issue.    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-05-2013 18:24
Just got home.

One thing to say. Acura dealers do not know how to wash a car. I believe they just sprayed it with water and then dried it lightly while just moving the dust on the dash a round a bit.. Leather wasn't touched. The did vacuum..

Anyway. Come to find out our car IS from the North. But only one state up form where we are. They seen no issues with the ECU but added the protective covering anyway. While we were checking out I asked about any other recalls (I know of a few) because my mom would have over looked some other things that needed to be fixed (PCB, Headlights). They wanted to check with Acura first on replacing the PCB which would fix the dark dash issue but went ahead and scheduled us for another appointment Monday to have the headlights replaced or restored. Which ever they feel is needed I suppose.

I'm nervous about them taking off the front bumper and re-aligning it but who knows, maybe they would do a better job then who ever put back on last time after the fender bender (not caused by us).

One the way home I was looking for marks in the leather and scratches on the dash but didn't find anything which is good, but I did notice a metallic rattling within the dash that wasn't there before, so I'm assuming it's that protective plating over the ECU. I'm very upset at that as you can hear it clearly at low speeds on subtle road imperfections. Will be talking to them about that Monday.

And the funny part is, after talking about having the Radio head unit replaced (PCB issue) half way home the dash lights came back to life, and in full brightness! So odd that things seem to fix them self or go away when you go to the dealer.

And on a side note; I'm actually a lot more impressed with the overall dealer. Everyone was supper nice and they handed snacks to us as we came in. Me and a saleswomen talked a good 30 minutes while sitting in a RLX Advanced about how Acura has changed and what we expect of the TLX and ILX refresh. She was awesome. Hands down the best saleswomen ever! What shocked me most is how open she was about everything. We talked about sales, peoples complaints, what we liked and didn't like and more. She was completely open about anything I asked. Thanks Raven! haha.

BTW, if anyone has any chump change, would you kindly drop it in my solo red cup? Mom want's the RLX. ;) A lot. She mentioned about a test drive on the way up there "I wonder if they will let us test drive a car?". But when we get up there and after she picks out the CBP Advanced she gets afraid to ask. She loves the Jewel Eyes.

She also likes the ILX but she deserves better.

Car needs new rear breaks and all 4 new tires with an alignment. Also a transmission flush and coolant flush.

Will update y'all next Monday on what we come home with.

I believe mom was happy that the lights came back on because on the way home she decided to go above 60MPH and even opened the sunroof!!!. And you seen how far the radio is turned up. She had to of been happy. haha otherwise it would have been 60MPH in the slow lane all the way back home with the radio just scanning through statically stations with the volume down low.

Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
29 mobile: 0