[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
BBC: Honda set to close Swindon factory in 2022
More.......................
Nikkei: Honda enters agreement with CATL for battery supply contract through 2027
Acura Marks 30 Years Since Debut of Iconic NSX Supercar
American Honda reports January sales
Acura Marks 15th Anniversary of Super Handling All-Wheel Drive™
Honda releases pricing and EPA information for 2019 Passport
American Honda Reports December Sales
American Honda Reports November Sales
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2019 Pre-Season Testing - Days 1-4
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Swindon in peril
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: 2020 Honda Fit Render
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Kandi EV Approved for US
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda Loses a $38 Million Liability Lawsuit
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: DC-R
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Timid AHM marketing
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Poor reliability scores for Honda and Acura
Join Discussion......
TOV Asia --> Re: Honda JP Sales 2018: Hybrids make up 55% of reg. cars
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda's new sub-brand Honda e
Join Discussion......
Amateur Racing & Driving --> Re: My first helmet !
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: Honda closing UK plant that builds the Type R
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Original NSX prototype only had a SOHC V6 without VTEC
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Rumours that Honda will close its Swindon plant
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Sunny came home with a mission
Join Discussion......
2019 Honda Passport PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
2019 Acura NSX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura ILX
2019 Acura ILX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Pilot
2019 Honda Pilot PR Photo Gallery

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > Professional Motorsports > > Re: So during the Japanese GP weekend McLaren announced...

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - 1 [2]
Author
  Post New Thread
K25
Profile for K25
Re: So during the Japanese GP weekend McLaren announced...    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-23-2013 12:59
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Kevin Magnussen. He's very inexperienced and a big risk for a team like Mclaren. He would need a lot of F1 testing (and preferably a year learning in a lesser team) just like Vettel and Hamilton did, before landing a Mclaren seat.
But yeah they should keep an eye on him.

(I still maintain though, VETTEL is the one Honda and Mclaren should be after (he's much younger than Alonso and as good or better and could still get better). Having that guy racing against you must be a real pain in the ass!)

gofast182
Profile for gofast182
Re: So during the Japanese GP weekend McLaren announced...    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-23-2013 13:19
K25 wrote:
Kevin Magnussen. He's very inexperienced and a big risk for a team like Mclaren. He would need a lot of F1 testing (and preferably a year learning in a lesser team) just like Vettel and Hamilton did, before landing a Mclaren seat.

(I still maintain though, VETTEL is the one Honda and Mclaren should be after (he's much younger than Alonso and as good or better and could still get better). Having that guy racing against you must be a real pain in the ass!)

Magnussen could not jump in next year but I bet they could have him running F3 while testing with the Honda engine and ready for a rookie drive in '15 when it's on the grid.

Vettel? Seems impossible. As best I can tell he's wedded to Red Bull and they're wedded to him. And not sure I'd want the guy many people hate on my team, besides if McLaren/Honda can build a stellar car they will take the race to Vettel.

jshaw
Profile for jshaw
Re: So during the Japanese GP weekend McLaren announced...    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-23-2013 15:51
Isn't Vettel not on the social media bandwagon? That probably doesn't help his popularity right there.
K25
Profile for K25
Re: So during the Japanese GP weekend McLaren announced...    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-23-2013 18:59
gofast182 wrote:
K25 wrote:

Magnussen could not jump in next year but I bet they could have him running F3 while testing with the Honda engine and ready for a rookie drive in '15 when it's on the grid.

Vettel? Seems impossible. As best I can tell he's wedded to Red Bull and they're wedded to him. And not sure I'd want the guy many people hate on my team, besides if McLaren/Honda can build a stellar car they will take the race to Vettel.

Of course I'm not saying Vettel moving away from Red Bull is a likely scenario - especially if they keep delivering him a winning car. And right now they have a dream team at Red Bull. However, all dream teams come to an end eventually, and who knows, with Prodromou leaving we could see the start of a RB decline. maybe others will follow him to Mclaren, maybe Newey will retire in a couple of years or even change teams.

In the event of Red Bull failing to produce a winning car next year or the year after or both years, I can see him open to changing teams.

As for many people hating him, I remember Schumacher had many haters too but he equally had many fans as well (and he became probably the most well known figure in motorsports) and I'm sure Vettel has many fans. The haters are usually other top drivers' fans showing their immaturity/envy, basically for not being their favourite driver getting all the glory. If I had a team I would be more concerned about my driver's performance, and on that front Vettel delivers with style.
Oh and Vettel is the most popular driver in Japan apparently (along with Raikkonnen). If I was Honda I would definitely like that.

But if M-H can grab Alonso sooner they should grab the oportunity.

Dren
Profile for Dren
Re: So during the Japanese GP weekend McLaren announced...    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-24-2013 09:34
Bullwinkle wrote:
Dren wrote:
Memo60 wrote:
What I understand Telmex is going to be the big sponsor next year.

Where did that come from?

As for Perez, Mclaren seem to be looking for somebody else as a driver. I'm guessing Honda is pusing hard for a top level driver.

The Telmex rumor is all over the place.

I personally think that this "partnership" between Honda and McLaren is going to end up with Honda acquiring an equity interest in McLaren. The same sort of arrangement that McLaren had with Daimler.

And I think the Mexico/Hispanic America connection is more important than Honda's credibility in Europe.

That said, I think Honda is counting on signing some kind of major sponsorship from somewhere. Mexico is not a bad place to look considering:

1) Honda's increased presence in Mexico
2) The coming Mexico F1 race
3) The growing importance of Hispanics in the USA market (Example: Mexico's World cup qualifying games on ESPN outdraw those of the US team by a considerable margin). It would not surprise me to see someone like Adrian Fernandez involved in the commercial/driver development side of this endeavor.
4) I personally think a team of Alonso/Perez is more likely than Alonso/Button.

If the Telmex rumor is true, Perez would be signed by now.

Thread Page - 1 [2]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
29 mobile: 0