[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
BBC: Honda set to close Swindon factory in 2022
More.......................
Nikkei: Honda enters agreement with CATL for battery supply contract through 2027
More.......................
Acura Marks 30 Years Since Debut of Iconic NSX Supercar
More.......................
American Honda reports January sales
More.......................
Acura Marks 15th Anniversary of Super Handling All-Wheel Drive™
More.......................
Honda releases pricing and EPA information for 2019 Passport
More.......................
American Honda Reports December Sales
More.......................
American Honda Reports November Sales
More.......................
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2019 Pre-Season Testing - Days 1-4
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: DC-R
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Swindon in peril
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Timid AHM marketing
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda Loses a $38 Million Liability Lawsuit
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Poor reliability scores for Honda and Acura
Join Discussion......
TOV Asia --> Re: Honda JP Sales 2018: Hybrids make up 55% of reg. cars
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda's new sub-brand Honda e
Join Discussion......
Amateur Racing & Driving --> Re: My first helmet !
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: Honda closing UK plant that builds the Type R
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Original NSX prototype only had a SOHC V6 without VTEC
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Rumours that Honda will close its Swindon plant
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Sunny came home with a mission
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: 2019 F1 Releases/Launches
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: Type R bike carrier
Join Discussion......
2019 Honda Passport PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
2019 Acura NSX PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
First Drive: 2019 Acura ILX
Read Article....................
2019 Acura ILX PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
First Drive: 2019 Honda Pilot
Read Article....................
2019 Honda Pilot PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > General Talk > > Re: BMW releases specs for M3/M4

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
longhorn
Profile for longhorn
BMW releases specs for M3/M4    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-25-2013 11:27
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
FYI,

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=892746

My only concern is the mentioned carbon fibre drive shaft...........ARE YOU KIDDING ME? thats going to be on expensive component to replace. Did not know CF could take that kind of punishment.

3306 pounds curb weight

I have always stated this is the segment Honda should go after with the S2000 replacement. Make it a coupe or sedan (sell more units as a sedan),make it light, sceaming motor and go M hunting. It would have made the accountants happy compared to a limited edition soft top.

jshaw
Profile for jshaw
Re: BMW releases specs for M3/M4    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-25-2013 12:24
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Infinity g37 and 350z use CF driveshaft. So does the 2G acura RL/4G honda legend.
K22A
Profile for K22A
Re: BMW releases specs for M3/M4    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-25-2013 13:16
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
They've been carbon shafts for more than a decade. Best bit is that it shatters and doesn't harpoon or mince your behind when it breaks. Or so the story goes. Depends on engineering obviously.

on a side note I suspect nsx engine to be very similar. Just folded in half



Chris David
Profile for Chris David
Re: BMW releases specs for M3/M4    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-25-2013 13:49
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Looks like another winner from BMW. Hard to argue with more power, and less weight.
PhrozeDeuce
Profile for PhrozeDeuce
Re: BMW releases specs for M3/M4    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-25-2013 15:00
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Long life the NA engine which is no more at BMW....shame.
Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: BMW releases specs for M3/M4    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-25-2013 19:45
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
jshaw wrote:
Infinity g37 and 350z use CF driveshaft. So does the 2G acura RL/4G honda legend.


And the S2000.

Chris David
Profile for Chris David
Re: BMW releases specs for M3/M4    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-26-2013 08:05
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
PhrozeDeuce wrote:
Long life the NA engine which is no more at BMW....shame.


Yeah, it's a bit sad, but look at the jump in torque. Also, redline is still a respectable 7300. The turbo wouldn't keep me from buying one if I had eighty grand laying around.

GoFaster
Profile for GoFaster
Re: BMW releases specs for M3/M4    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-26-2013 10:01
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
longhorn wrote:

I have always stated this is the segment Honda should go after with the S2000 replacement. Make it a coupe or sedan (sell more units as a sedan),make it light, sceaming motor and go M hunting. It would have made the accountants happy compared to a limited edition soft top.



I completely agree. The market for 2 seaters is really small, and there is more money to be made making sports sedan/coupes. To me the 3 Series is the car to beat. That is where manufactures should prove their abilities, not sports cars. BMWs get really expensive really quickly, and I mean 50% over base price by just checking off a couple of option boxes. Honda should own that market, especially with IMO their superior build the cars LOADED at a good price, instead of nearly custom built like BMW which makes WWW shopping impossible.

Anything bigger than the Civic needs to be RWD to get those hundreds and hundreds of pounds off the nose. Honda needs to get in the game and build something fun, something, anything.

The ILX should have been the Euro Civic (which would have been priced as a true entry point for Gen-Y and with the hatch utility you need when setting up apartments/houses) and that development money should have been spent making the TSX RWD. The RLX should NEVER have been made, and same goes for the 500 NSX per year that will do nothing for the brand.

Acura should be:
Euro Civic hatch
TSX RWD
TLX SH-AWD with better 50/50 balance as a goal
RDX
RDX-Type S - SH-AWD
MDX

That's it.
BTW - I am loving tailgates coming back. Range Rover and X5 have them, not sure who else. Would have that for sure on SUVs.

cksi1372
Profile for cksi1372
Re: BMW releases specs for M3/M4    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-26-2013 21:38
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Chris David wrote:
PhrozeDeuce wrote:
Long life the NA engine which is no more at BMW....shame.


Yeah, it's a bit sad, but look at the jump in torque. Also, redline is still a respectable 7300. The turbo wouldn't keep me from buying one if I had eighty grand laying around.



Yeah, but the outgoing M3 honkin NA V8 is just so smooth compared to my turbo N55 335. Being my first turbo, I now understand lag...ha, even with a software update supposedly to cure it. The new M3 is a bi-turbo and it looks like they've addressed any lag issue from the videos.

That said, the new M3 looks pretty awesome to me, but is going to be pretty $$$...I bet Competition Package pushes $90k...ouch. Every since driving a 95 M3, I wanted one, but M3 getting well out of my price range now. Perhaps an M2 will appear and be more reasonable...or I'm sure we will see Acura develop a competitor in this space soon... hehe.

owequitit
Profile for owequitit
Re: BMW releases specs for M3/M4    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-27-2013 10:13
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
cksi1372 wrote:
Chris David wrote:
PhrozeDeuce wrote:
Long life the NA engine which is no more at BMW....shame.


Yeah, it's a bit sad, but look at the jump in torque. Also, redline is still a respectable 7300. The turbo wouldn't keep me from buying one if I had eighty grand laying around.



Yeah, but the outgoing M3 honkin NA V8 is just so smooth compared to my turbo N55 335. Being my first turbo, I now understand lag...ha, even with a software update supposedly to cure it. The new M3 is a bi-turbo and it looks like they've addressed any lag issue from the videos.

That said, the new M3 looks pretty awesome to me, but is going to be pretty $$$...I bet Competition Package pushes $90k...ouch. Every since driving a 95 M3, I wanted one, but M3 getting well out of my price range now. Perhaps an M2 will appear and be more reasonable...or I'm sure we will see Acura develop a competitor in this space soon... hehe.



I am curious if the switch back to TT, plus all of the other changes to the engine will finally excise the turbo characteristics.

I love the way it looks, and while I am sure they still fine tuning the details, it sounds pretty sporty in comparison to some of their recent turbo engines.

6SPDTL
Profile for 6SPDTL
Re: BMW releases specs for M3/M4    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-27-2013 15:51
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
longhorn wrote:
FYI,

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=892746

My only concern is the mentioned carbon fibre drive shaft...........ARE YOU KIDDING ME? thats going to be on expensive component to replace. Did not know CF could take that kind of punishment.

3306 pounds curb weight

I have always stated this is the segment Honda should go after with the S2000 replacement. Make it a coupe or sedan (sell more units as a sedan),make it light, sceaming motor and go M hunting. It would have made the accountants happy compared to a limited edition soft top.


My RL had a carbon fiber drive shaft..... Not a big deal.

Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: BMW releases specs for M3/M4    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-27-2013 19:47
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
owequitit wrote:
cksi1372 wrote:
Chris David wrote:
PhrozeDeuce wrote:
Long life the NA engine which is no more at BMW....shame.


Yeah, it's a bit sad, but look at the jump in torque. Also, redline is still a respectable 7300. The turbo wouldn't keep me from buying one if I had eighty grand laying around.



Yeah, but the outgoing M3 honkin NA V8 is just so smooth compared to my turbo N55 335. Being my first turbo, I now understand lag...ha, even with a software update supposedly to cure it. The new M3 is a bi-turbo and it looks like they've addressed any lag issue from the videos.

That said, the new M3 looks pretty awesome to me, but is going to be pretty $$$...I bet Competition Package pushes $90k...ouch. Every since driving a 95 M3, I wanted one, but M3 getting well out of my price range now. Perhaps an M2 will appear and be more reasonable...or I'm sure we will see Acura develop a competitor in this space soon... hehe.



I am curious if the switch back to TT, plus all of the other changes to the engine will finally excise the turbo characteristics.

I love the way it looks, and while I am sure they still fine tuning the details, it sounds pretty sporty in comparison to some of their recent turbo engines.



They keep claiming to have cured lag, but it's the actual throttle response which is important; that instant, linear change to throttle position which still makes good NA engines great. That's before you go to individual throttle bodies, which M engines used to have...

White98LS
Profile for White98LS
Re: BMW releases specs for M3/M4    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-27-2013 22:54
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Nick GravesX wrote:
jshaw wrote:
Infinity g37 and 350z use CF driveshaft. So does the 2G acura RL/4G honda legend.


And the S2000.


No it doesn't...


 
Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
29 mobile: 0