[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
Team Honda Research wins ST2 at NASA Nationals with their NC1 NSX
More.......................
Acura releases details on refreshed 2019 ILX
2019 Accord loses EX-L Navi and 1.5T Touring trims
American Honda Reports August Sales Increase as Trucks Smash Previous Records
2019 NSX Debuts in Monterey with Design Updates, Chassis Enhancements and Expanded Color Palette
2019 Civic trim change summary
Honda announces changes for 2019 Civic, including new Sport trim
When is the 2019 Accord arriving in showrooms? Maybe not until 2019
Civic --> Re: 2019 Civic Interior first picture
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: C&D Lightning Lap 2018
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: Looking at a 2018 Accord Sport!
Join Discussion......
Photoshops --> Re: Honda URB
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: '19 Variations on the CTR?
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Toyota Supra - First Drive
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: A big finger to handbrake turns
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: 10th generation Accord Mk2 - niggles fixed with minor tweaks!
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Ford "pulls an Acura" in their latest commercial
Join Discussion......
CR-Z --> Re: Honda's Biggest Mistake? Why Now Is The Time To Buy The Misunderstood CR-Z
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Mazda CX-5 to get 2.5 Turbo Engine?
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Aragon MotoGP Spoiler
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: Custom Paint Job Civic Type R
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda Inspire test drive video
Join Discussion......
Videos --> Re: 2018 Acura NSX Review - The Best Everyday Supercar
Join Discussion......
First Drive: 2019 Honda Insight
Read Article....................
2019 Honda Insight PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura RDX
2019 Acura RDX Features & Specifications
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX Advance
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX A-Spec

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
  TOV News > All-New 2014 Acura MDX Debuts at the New York International Auto Show > > Re: No more Advance Package without Entertainment

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author

Gary757
Profile for Gary757
No more Advance Package without Entertainment [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-27-2013 15:53
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Huge miss there. Consumers like myself may want all the Advance perks but have zero desire to spend extra to "entertain" rear passengers with last century's DVDs. That's what tablets are for.
jshaw
Profile for jshaw
Re: No more Advance Package without Entertainment [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-27-2013 17:29
Gary757 wrote:
Huge miss there. Consumers like myself may want all the Advance perks but have zero desire to spend extra to "entertain" rear passengers with last century's DVDs. That's what tablets are for.

More realistically, it's likely those who do spend for the Advance package, also wanted the Ent. as well. At any rate, if I wanted a puny screen held up by my arms for hours, or to crane my neck to look at a tablet down by my knees like some preteen trying to cheat on a test using a cell phone, I'd use a tablet.

Otherwise, that's what the video inputs are for.

What does confuse me, is why the RLX doesn't even has this as an option. BMW really cleans the deck with their setup - theirs look well integrated, like that of a first (at least business) class airliner seat, and the rear seat idrive controller - identical to the one the driver gets - can do just about everything the driver's can, too (i.e, set a destination, access BMW Online/Apps, etc). Ignore the system on the X5, it's part of the old platform (Renesas), which is being replaced this summer (Intel/NVidia).

Then again, I do understand why some people wouldn't want a rear seat entertainment system. I wouldn't understand on a car making a beeline for the $50k mark, but I understand, mostly.

greg99
Profile for greg99
Re: No more Advance Package without Entertainment [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-27-2013 19:01
My 2012 Advance is the family's secondary "kid" car. When I do carry kids (10-15% of the time, at most), they're usually playing with iPhones or iPads.

I did want the driver features of the Advance package, though, and was willing to spend up for that package. No point in spending an extra couple of thousand dollars for something that is maybe going to get 5 hours of use a year, at most, so I didn't opt for Ent.

In the SF Bay Area, where among people spending >/=$50K on a car, smartphone usage is approaching 100%, DVD player purchases are way down (based on my own "scientific" assessment of my peer group, all of whom have at least one of (a) an SUV, (b) a minivan, or (c) a eurowagon.

Our Odyssey has it, however. Still not used as much as it used to be, pre-iDevices, but total usage is still meaningful. We're likely swapping our '06 Odyssey for one of the new 2014's, and we'll get the Elite.

Greg

xBeastx
Profile for xBeastx
Re: No more Advance Package without Entertainment [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-27-2013 21:00
I have never seen the point of these in-car entertainment systems. Just give the kids a good book! That's what I'm going to do ;)
jshaw
Profile for jshaw
Re: No more Advance Package without Entertainment [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-27-2013 21:13
xBeastx wrote:
I have never seen the point of these in-car entertainment systems. Just give the kids a good book! That's what I'm going to do ;)

Tell them to look outside the window.

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: No more Advance Package without Entertainment [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-29-2013 15:05
xBeastx wrote:

Well, I did give a thought about playing an adult DVD on the rear screen while driving by myself in stop and go traffic on the San Diego Fwy...

Just watch people jockey for position to follow me. :-)

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: No more Advance Package without Entertainment [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-29-2013 15:08
jshaw wrote:
xBeastx wrote:

That's THE TIMEOUT.

"Timeout! Both of you, look out your window! for fire minutes!"

Amazingly they did it.

Before smart phones, before iPods, when all we had was some lousy little MP3 portable players, the DVD worked well for long trips. It did keep the kids quiet and entertained.

Colin
Profile for Colin
Re: No more Advance Package without Entertainment [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-29-2013 15:48
TonyEX wrote:
xBeastx wrote:

Well, I did give a thought about playing an adult DVD on the rear screen while driving by myself in stop and go traffic on the San Diego Fwy...

Just watch people jockey for position to follow me. :-)

... and then you get 'rear ended' [bada bump]

xBeastx
Profile for xBeastx
Re: No more Advance Package without Entertainment [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-30-2013 11:29
TonyEX wrote:
jshaw wrote:
xBeastx wrote:

That's THE TIMEOUT.

Amazingly they did it.

Before smart phones, before iPods, when all we had was some lousy little MP3 portable players, the DVD worked well for long trips. It did keep the kids quiet and entertained.

Another reason not to need a DVD entertainment system: almost all kids I know have either an iPhone/iPad/Android tablet from which they can stream Nextflix or something. It's ridiculous. My friend's little brother, who is like 5, already has his own iPad. When I was 5, I was rocking the GameBoy with its blow-to-fix-it cartridges.

Honda-D
Profile for Honda-D
Re: No more Advance Package without Entertainment [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-01-2013 23:38
xBeastx wrote:
TonyEX wrote:
jshaw wrote:
xBeastx wrote:

That's THE TIMEOUT.

Amazingly they did it.

Another reason not to need a DVD entertainment system: almost all kids I know have either an iPhone/iPad/Android tablet from which they can stream Nextflix or something. It's ridiculous. My friend's little brother, who is like 5, already has his own iPad. When I was 5, I was rocking the GameBoy with its blow-to-fix-it cartridges.

Come on guys, just remember, we were able get a cassette deck on 2003 TL. :)

Car manufacturers are notoriously late on tech. I rather they provide some sort of universal tablet holder in back seats over a DVD screen.

2 32GB iPads tether to my cell phone wifi is way better than a DVD system.

Hondatalover
Profile for Hondatalover
Re: No more Advance Package without Entertainment [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-01-2013 23:45

Car manufacturers are notoriously late on tech. I rather they provide some sort of universal tablet holder in back seats over a DVD screen.

You could get a Cassette player on the 3rd Gen TL all the way up to 2008. But it was never offered in the Acura TSX, even in 04 on launch. Not sure about the other models.

Mikeydred
Profile for Mikeydred
Re: No more Advance Package without Entertainment [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-03-2013 00:08
Hondatalover wrote:

You could get a Cassette player on the 3rd Gen TL all the way up to 2008. But it was never offered in the Acura TSX, even in 04 on launch. Not sure about the other models.

I believe the cassette player was removed on the mmc in 06. Lexus on the other hand got called out a little more than a year ago for still having cassette players

Mikeydred
Profile for Mikeydred
Re: No more Advance Package without Entertainment [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-03-2013 00:09
Meant at the time, not the case anymore.
jshaw
Profile for jshaw
Re: No more Advance Package without Entertainment [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-03-2013 00:39
As for the comment on the tablet holder, guess who does offer that as an option...

Yep. The segment leaders, BMW and Mercedes in the 5 series and E class (actually, most of their cars offer it). Built in chargers for iPads, too.

I'd still tkae a well executed RES over an iPad, though only the BMW 7 series offers a properly executed version (within this class of cars).

Am I surprised? No.

Thread Page - [1]
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
29 mobile: 0