[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
This 2019 Acura RDX A-Spec is wearing an exclusive new shade of blue
More.......................
2019 Pilot gets upgraded with standard LED headlights and "Telematics"
Sources: 2019 HR-V adds Sport trim, loses 6MT option
All-new 2019 Acura RDX Makes Road Debut as Official Vehicle of Rally Cycling Alongside NSX Supercar
Clarity Electric still available for $199/month lease, but down payment has increased $600
Driving impressions: Hondata's FlashPro for the FK8 Civic Type R
American Honda Reports April Sales Results
Honda reveals Everus EV Concept at Beijing International Auto Show
General Talk --> Re: Drove the new Mazda 6 Signature with 2.5 Skyactiv Turbo today
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Electronic rear view mirrors - one thing I don't like
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: 2019 Civic MMC rumors?
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Porsche Macan S weight distro: 56.7/43.3
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: 2019 RDX Trim Levels
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Re: Beat a Mirai to the H2 station last night New style H70 pumps
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2018 Spanish Grand Prix
Join Discussion......
NSX --> Re: 2020 NSX Type-R
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Tesla - facts behind the mirage
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: Mishimoto Catch Can - What For?
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Moto GP Spoiler
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: 2018 Indy 500
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: Spare Wheel Kit: Damaged Wheel
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: RDX Production Starts
Join Discussion......
Audio & Electronics --> Re: iOS 11 breaks just about all Bluetooth Functionality, 2013-15 Accord—** UPDATE **
Join Discussion......
Photo Gallery - Some other cars from 2019 NYIAS
Read Article....................
TOV Video: 2019 Acura RDX Walk-around with LPL Steve Hansen
TOV Photo Gallery: 2018 North American International Auto Show
2018 Acura RLX PR Photo Gallery
TOV First Drive: 2018 Honda Accord
2018 Honda Accord Specifications and Features (FINAL)

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
  TOV News > All-New 2014 Acura MDX Debuts at the New York International Auto Show > > Re: A few photo chops.

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author

Hondatalover
Profile for Hondatalover
A few photo chops. [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-29-2013 17:22
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Added Exhaust tips, stretched rear 'hump'/ crease to curve over the door handle, stretched fender's (more like RDX's) and flattened the grill while giving the hood a sharp crease to in line with the lower, middle air intake. I also added some stylish Foglights and 20" rims.

No LED runners on the chrome trim though. I thought that would be overkill since the MDX's LED headlights already have a smaller row of LED's across the top of the 5 main LEDs. Jim Keller said they look like eyebrows when illuminated and were hidden from most angles.

Original

Edit 1

Edit 2 (Bigger fender humps)

Side Note:
The reasoning behind the bigger fender humps or whatever you wanna call them, is for the lack of sportiness or aggression the side profile of the new MDX has. I thought making the fender humps bigger would give it a more athletic look, but I'm afraid the effect isn't the same with the longer wheel base. I thought they looked great on the 2G RDX and the last MDX, this one is still on the fence with me.

Original

Edit 3

Any input/ requests are welcome and appreciated! Let me know what you think!

Ps. I wonder if Jim Keller is looking at these? He gave a shout out to TOV.com and said he comes here to get some "informal input form the market", which is great! I don't see why manufactures need to get formal input from magazines/ reviewers only. Its absolutely best to get your input specifically from someone who will be more likely to buy the product for their self, and not a review. If they keep looking at what we are saying then Acura just might make a bigger turn around than what it is doing now. All of which looks to be getting better for the most part.

Gary757
Profile for Gary757
Re: A few photo chops. [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-29-2013 22:06
Beautiful edits. I did not know about the "eyebrows." That makes me a feel a bit better about it. I was afraid they'd just light up the outside "jewels" for DRLs.

Hondatalover
Profile for Hondatalover
Re: A few photo chops. [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-29-2013 22:14
Gary757 wrote:
Beautiful edits. I did not know about the "eyebrows." That makes me a feel a bit better about it. I was afraid they'd just light up the outside "jewels" for DRLs.

Thank you. But even though Jim Keller has said that there is a LED light source hidden behind the chrome trim above the 5 LED's, I have not been able to find any pictures showing them lite, not even in the driving footage. If they are there and work, then they are either really dim, or not on the MDX's we've seen so far.

I tried to answer it here:
http://www.vtec.net/forums/one-message?message_id=1141363&article_id=1141229&page_number=1#1141363

Mikeydred
Profile for Mikeydred
Re: A few photo chops. [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-29-2013 22:34
Hondatalover wrote:
Gary757 wrote:

Thank you. But even though Jim Keller has said that there is a LED light source hidden behind the chrome trim above the 5 LED's, I have not been able to find any pictures showing them lite, not even in the driving footage. If they are there and work, then they are either really dim, or not on the MDX's we've seen so far.

I tried to answer it here:
http://www.vtec.net/forums/one-message?message_id=1141363&article_id=1141229&page_number=1#1141363

They're there, look at past spy shots or even the promo video during the press release showed a silver one with the eyebrow illuminated. I guess that is what makes jewel eye special in the fact to the naked eye they look like typical beams but the engineers/designers are able to hide a lot more elements behind them, I think the RLX should have went this route too and hopefully the NSX keeps it's setup because they appear to be the best iteration so far

xBeastx
Profile for xBeastx
Re: A few photo chops. [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-30-2013 11:26
I love those fog lights on the front. It really completes the look of the car. Also I like the exhaust pipes.
Hondatalover
Profile for Hondatalover
Re: A few photo chops. [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-30-2013 11:40
So do I.

I think Acura is going to offer them as dealer accessories.
TurkMan71 pointed them out in this image. You can see the chrome bezels.

http://www.acura.com/images/2014/MDX/photos/2014-mdx-exterior-sh-awd-with-advance-package-and-accessories-in-silver-moon-snow-9.jpg

Hondatalover
Profile for Hondatalover
Re: A few photo chops. [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-30-2013 12:25
Made another, this time a more visible rear shoulder line going all the way down.

xBeastx
Profile for xBeastx
Re: A few photo chops. [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-30-2013 13:56
Hondatalover wrote:
So do I.

I think Acura is going to offer them as dealer accessories.
TurkMan71 pointed them out in this image. You can see the chrome bezels.

http://www.acura.com/images/2014/MDX/photos/2014-mdx-exterior-sh-awd-with-advance-package-and-accessories-in-silver-moon-snow-9.jpg

That could be the Chinese MDX. Even for the last generation their MDX has a different fog light/DRL setup.

Jesse
Profile for Jesse
Re: A few photo chops. [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-02-2013 04:11
Got spare time so here's my take.

It is just minor enhancements really, changes are subtle but many. Have fun finding them. ;)

Hondatalover
Profile for Hondatalover
Re: A few photo chops. [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-02-2013 11:02
Jesse wrote:
Got spare time so here's my take.

It is just minor enhancements really, changes are subtle but many. Have fun finding them. ;)

Looks great!
-Lower ride height
-More pronounced rear shoulder crease that reaches down the rear doors
-headlights
-flattened taillights
-lower door crease has been straightened out
-slightly adjusted roof line(?)

I think that might be all.
Very good chop. Love it!

Jesse
Profile for Jesse
Re: A few photo chops. [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-02-2013 18:24
Haha thanks! Yep, got them all except I didn't lower the ride height - just increased the wheel size to fill up the gaps. And yes I wanted the flow from the rear-shoulder bulge to continue down to the prominent lower crease to make it subtly look more muscular. The original design doesn't have the continuous flow and looks flat. I should've incorporated your bumper fog lights because they look great.

I noticed there is one area in the photo that I forgot to properly edit hehe. ;)

NealX
Profile for NealX
Re: A few photo chops. [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-02-2013 18:47
Now that looks good! And I totally get the small tweaks adding up to a collectively better whole. ;-)

Jesse
Profile for Jesse
Re: A few photo chops. [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-02-2013 19:25
Thanks Neal! ;)
Hondatalover
Profile for Hondatalover
Re: A few photo chops. [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-02-2013 19:40
Jesse wrote:
Haha thanks! Yep, got them all except I didn't lower the ride height - just increased the wheel size to fill up the gaps. And yes I wanted the flow from the rear-shoulder bulge to continue down to the prominent lower crease to make it subtly look more muscular. The original design doesn't have the continuous flow and looks flat. I should've incorporated your bumper fog lights because they look great.

I noticed there is one area in the photo that I forgot to properly edit hehe. ;)

I'm going to go back through mine and add more tire then.
This new MDX looks really nice with all of our edits put together.

And is that area in the photo your talking about that you forgot to properly edit the grill? I see everything else done properly. :P

And thank you for the compliment on the fog lights! They really do finish off the front end of the MDX.

Here are some headlight pics. Not as good as yours cause I tried to do each LED individually. The brow did turn out nice though.

This one is kinda ugly and I will admit I rushed it.

This one looks the best.

Jesse
Profile for Jesse
Re: A few photo chops. [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-02-2013 20:03
Teamwork hehe. The fog lights do make the front-end look better.

For the area that I forgot to edit, if you zoom or look at the full size of the image, look at the window chrome surround just beside the side-mirror - it looks broken.

Hondatalover
Profile for Hondatalover
Re: A few photo chops. [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-02-2013 20:37
Pffft. That's nothing. I've left out worse mistakes. Like all that wheel gap.

And to be honest, I couldn't enlarge my tires any. I couldn't get it perfect and the quality just went down so I was fed up with it. So I copied yours over, I hope you don't mind. You done a great job on them BTW.

Anyway, I wanted to see what my grill and other edits would look like with the reduced wheel gap. Looks damn good!

LED DRL Brow (not the hidden one)

Jesse
Profile for Jesse
Re: A few photo chops. [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-02-2013 21:06
I don't mind at all. The original photo is not mine anyway.

I actually like that the designers decided to hide the DRLs. I am not a fan of visible LEDs.

Wheels alone can significantly make a vehicle look better. Your version of the MDX does look great! IMO, Acura should've incorporated the fog lights on all models or at least they should've add more metal trim down the bottom - just for enhancements. ;)

Hondatalover
Profile for Hondatalover
Re: A few photo chops. [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-02-2013 21:26
Jesse wrote:
I don't mind at all. The original photo is not mine anyway.

I actually like that the designers decided to hide the DRLs. I am not a fan of visible LEDs.

Wheels alone can significantly make a vehicle look better. Your version of the MDX does look great! IMO, Acura should've incorporated the fog lights on all models or at least they should've add more metal trim down the bottom - just for enhancements. ;)

Thanks, and I agree. However, I think Acura is offering footlights as a dealer accessory. Not sure but a picture of the MDX form the side in the snow on Acuras website shows some chrome trim where I put the fog lights and its not there on the other views. Only way we (someone else, TurkMan71, pointed them out to me) is that the stuck out slightly further then the bumper its self. Not too much but enough for him to notice them.

About the DRL's. I don't mean anything like the Accord's individual LED's or anything. I would actually like to see a light tube like what they use in the taillights sitting in the gaps above the LED's. Mayby slightly exposed to give a nice crisp white line.. The only way you should see the actual tube is if you neal down and look up at the headlight.

Jesse
Profile for Jesse
Re: A few photo chops. [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-02-2013 21:45
Ah yes. Acura should make them standard - a minor thing though, nitpicking.

Agree, light tube is good although I don't want them to follow what Mercedes is doing. The MMC E-series have horrible front-LED styling hehe.

Hondatalover
Profile for Hondatalover
Re: A few photo chops. [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-02-2013 22:39
Well they did that just to fit in. Acura's at least are fully LED and look decent.

Thread Page - [1]
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
29 mobile: 0