[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
This 2019 Acura RDX A-Spec is wearing an exclusive new shade of blue
More.......................
2019 Pilot gets upgraded with standard LED headlights and "Telematics"
Sources: 2019 HR-V adds Sport trim, loses 6MT option
All-new 2019 Acura RDX Makes Road Debut as Official Vehicle of Rally Cycling Alongside NSX Supercar
Clarity Electric still available for $199/month lease, but down payment has increased $600
Driving impressions: Hondata's FlashPro for the FK8 Civic Type R
American Honda Reports April Sales Results
Honda reveals Everus EV Concept at Beijing International Auto Show
RDX --> Re: 2019 RDX pricing?
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Important Message
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Indy 500
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: The Fine Tradition of English Goalkeeping
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Harley's Demise
Join Discussion......
Sales Experiences --> Re: Questions regarding: lease, then buy option
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Is a G1 NSX w/4AT worth the huge price break?
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Monaco
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2018 Monaco Grand Prix - Spoilers
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Tesla - facts behind the mirage
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Acura-when marketing went adrift
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: 3rd Generation Acura RDX Reviews
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda S660 Modulo X
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Mobileye claims their system detected the pedestrian, even with the crappy Uber video as input
Join Discussion......
Integra --> Re: 95 GSR DYNO
Join Discussion......
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX Advance
Read Article....................
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX A-Spec
Photo Gallery - Some other cars from 2019 NYIAS
TOV Video: 2019 Acura RDX Walk-around with LPL Steve Hansen
TOV Photo Gallery: 2018 North American International Auto Show
2018 Acura RLX PR Photo Gallery

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
  TOV News > All-New 2014 Acura MDX Debuts at the New York International Auto Show > > Re: SHAWD

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author

MasterOfDaDomain
Profile for MasterOfDaDomain
SHAWD [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-29-2013 16:20
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
The video interviewed mentioned that SHAWD now also incorporates VSA to brake the inside wheel during cornering, so that torque vectoring occurs when you slow down or speed up through the corners.

BMW etc. has had this for a while, but just not often talked about.

Overall the car seems like a winner to me with the enhancement in handling, efficiency, and comfort.

auto_enthu
Profile for auto_enthu
Re: SHAWD [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-29-2013 16:35
MasterOfDaDomain wrote:
The video interviewed mentioned that SHAWD now also incorporates VSA to brake the inside wheel during cornering, so that torque vectoring occurs when you slow down or speed up through the corners.

Overall the car seems like a winner to me with the enhancement in handling, efficiency, and comfort.

I think this is a good improvement.

Until now, SHAWD needs the driver to give some power during cornering in order for the system to direct that power/torque to outer rear wheel, to induce a stable/flat cornering.
The same affect wont be induced (to by knowledge) if the driver has his foot off of the gas pedel. That's a draw-back.

In the new system, if braking the inner wheels happens irrespective of whether the driver's foot is on the gas pedal or not, it would greatly enhance driving feel to 'normal' driver who would not necessarily acccelerate around the corners.

Colin
Profile for Colin
Re: SHAWD [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-29-2013 16:39
MasterOfDaDomain wrote:

This is called cooperative VSA and has been on MDX for a while.

auto_enthu
Profile for auto_enthu
Re: SHAWD [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-29-2013 23:17
Colin wrote:
MasterOfDaDomain wrote:

No, this is not existing currently.
It is new to 2014 MDX.

Acura calls it Agile Handling Assist technology, as Jim Keller explained in his interview with Jeff.

Hondatalover
Profile for Hondatalover
Re: SHAWD [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-29-2013 23:41
The previous system worked in the same way, but only when the vehicle was in trouble. The new system is indeed VSA, but with a more advanced software working full-time, along side and in conjunction with the rest of the computer/ systems on bored (Yaw, Accel, G's, Steering sensor ect..). Acura just gave the more advanced VSA system two names.

At least that's my understanding.

It all actually makes alot of sense to me.
While braking it would act normal.

While braking around a curve, it would apply negative 'torque'(just friction in this case) to the inside wheels using the brakes, while the SH-AWD system transfers what power is still being put down to the outside rear wheel. In other words, SH-AWD would focus on the outside rear wheel (disengaging the inside wheel shafts and applying power to the outside ones) to not fight the slowing-down inside wheel.

While accelerating through a corner, it works like above, but more aggressive.

Result is a quicker, more stable turn-in time and a controlled over steer effect at all speeds. In lower speeds, turning radius's maybe slightly tighter and effortless. (Hope that doesn't translate into numb steering feel).

The above could be wrong, but thats what and how I think the new VSA and AHA tech works together.

Colin
Profile for Colin
Re: SHAWD [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-30-2013 06:35
auto_enthu wrote:
Colin wrote:
MasterOfDaDomain wrote:

It is new to 2014 MDX.

Acura calls it Agile Handling Assist technology, as Jim Keller explained in his interview with Jeff.

VSA and SH-AWD do work together currently. However, I will concede that it's possible that the braking component is new, although I could have sworn that it was mentioned in some training once.

FYI, from the section on SH-AWD for 2013:
"The SH-AWD® system works in cooperation with the MDX's Vehicle Stability Assist™ (VSA®) system to optimize torque distribution for superior handling and traction utilization.
As you can see, there isn't any mention of braking in this description although 'optimizing' might infer this (how else could VSA intervene?). However, they've renamed tech before ie. Active Noise Cancellation became Active Sound Control. Maybe Jeff knows because I'm curious now. ;)

Mikeydred
Profile for Mikeydred
Re: SHAWD [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-30-2013 10:16
Colin wrote:
auto_enthu wrote:
Colin wrote:
MasterOfDaDomain wrote:

It is new to 2014 MDX.

VSA and SH-AWD do work together currently. However, I will concede that it's possible that the braking component is new, although I could have sworn that it was mentioned in some training once.

FYI, from the section on SH-AWD for 2013:
"The SH-AWD® system works in cooperation with the MDX's Vehicle Stability Assist™ (VSA®) system to optimize torque distribution for superior handling and traction utilization.
As you can see, there isn't any mention of braking in this description although 'optimizing' might infer this (how else could VSA intervene?). However, they've renamed tech before ie. Active Noise Cancellation became Active Sound Control. Maybe Jeff knows because I'm curious now. ;)

Agile assist is suppose to be new tech introduced on the RLX, how it works not sure. VSA you are correct has always been linked to SHAWD on all applications

Thread Page - [1]
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
29 mobile: 0