[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
This 2019 Acura RDX A-Spec is wearing an exclusive new shade of blue
More.......................
2019 Pilot gets upgraded with standard LED headlights and "Telematics"
Sources: 2019 HR-V adds Sport trim, loses 6MT option
All-new 2019 Acura RDX Makes Road Debut as Official Vehicle of Rally Cycling Alongside NSX Supercar
Clarity Electric still available for $199/month lease, but down payment has increased $600
Driving impressions: Hondata's FlashPro for the FK8 Civic Type R
American Honda Reports April Sales Results
Honda reveals Everus EV Concept at Beijing International Auto Show
RDX --> Re: 2019 RDX pricing?
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Important Message
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Indy 500
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: The Fine Tradition of English Goalkeeping
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Harley's Demise
Join Discussion......
Sales Experiences --> Re: Questions regarding: lease, then buy option
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Is a G1 NSX w/4AT worth the huge price break?
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Monaco
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2018 Monaco Grand Prix - Spoilers
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Tesla - facts behind the mirage
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Acura-when marketing went adrift
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: 3rd Generation Acura RDX Reviews
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda S660 Modulo X
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Mobileye claims their system detected the pedestrian, even with the crappy Uber video as input
Join Discussion......
Integra --> Re: 95 GSR DYNO
Join Discussion......
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX Advance
Read Article....................
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX A-Spec
Photo Gallery - Some other cars from 2019 NYIAS
TOV Video: 2019 Acura RDX Walk-around with LPL Steve Hansen
TOV Photo Gallery: 2018 North American International Auto Show
2018 Acura RLX PR Photo Gallery

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
  TOV News > All-New 2014 Acura MDX Debuts at the New York International Auto Show > > Re: How can this get the same MPG as the RDX?

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author

aberabee
Profile for aberabee
How can this get the same MPG as the RDX? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-28-2013 09:46
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
I am floored...this MDX is roughly 500 lbs heavier than an RDX and makes 17 more hp. How can it possibly make the same gas mileage? I thought the RDX made excellent mileage to begin with.
My first thought is the trasmission or the gearing, but it supposedly goes faster 0-60 than it used to. Maybe it has a really tall 6th gear. Would the aero make that much of a difference?

To me this is truly an engineering milestone.

Mikeydred
Profile for Mikeydred
Re: How can this get the same MPG as the RDX? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-28-2013 09:52
Most likely the lower center of gravity as well as the DI engine which the RDX does not have was tuned for effiency over performance.
toddysan
Profile for toddysan
Re: How can this get the same MPG as the RDX? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-28-2013 10:27
Direct injection my friend. Direct injection... That's not the only reason but that and the aerodynamics of the car make a huge difference.
danielgr
Profile for danielgr
Re: How can this get the same MPG as the RDX? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-28-2013 10:37
aberabee wrote:
I am floored...this MDX is roughly 500 lbs heavier than an RDX and makes 17 more hp. How can it possibly make the same gas mileage? I thought the RDX made excellent mileage to begin with.
My first thought is the trasmission or the gearing, but it supposedly goes faster 0-60 than it used to. Maybe it has a really tall 6th gear. Would the aero make that much of a difference?

Obviously mpg's aren't a popular subject around here, but count me in for being impressed.

I got to that point after checking today's release on the PathFinder's new Hybrid. Sure the MDX cannot match the hybrid city numbers, but it beats it on the highway on 2WD trim and matches it on SH-AWD ...

And the PathFinder needs to go down to a turbo i4 + CVT + electric motor with a Li battery to get there while delivering 250Hp ...

aberabee
Profile for aberabee
Re: How can this get the same MPG as the RDX? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-28-2013 11:42
Mikeydred wrote:
Most likely the lower center of gravity as well as the DI engine which the RDX does not have was tuned for effiency over performance.

I haven't heard about this lower center of gravity. Where did you get that info?

I guess it's a combination of the DI and aero like you guys mentioned. I'm not an MPG guy by any means but this big of an increase got my attention from an engineering standpoint.

BachelorFrog
Profile for BachelorFrog
Re: How can this get the same MPG as the RDX? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-28-2013 12:22
If thats the case then put back SHAWD back into RDX.
Lucien
Profile for Lucien
Re: How can this get the same MPG as the RDX? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-28-2013 12:29
danielgr wrote:
aberabee wrote:

Obviously mpg's aren't a popular subject around here, but count me in for being impressed.

I got to that point after checking today's release on the PathFinder's new Hybrid. Sure the MDX cannot match the hybrid city numbers, but it beats it on the highway on 2WD trim and matches it on SH-AWD ...

And the PathFinder needs to go down to a turbo i4 + CVT + electric motor with a Li battery to get there while delivering 250Hp ...

Highway mpg is impressive but remember hybrids improve most in city mpg and not so much at highway.

So what mpg could Honda achieve with a hybrid MDX? Disappointing they didn't announce anything about adding hybrid models to Acura lineup (ignoring ILX which is really Civic hybrid technology).

JMU R1
Profile for JMU R1
Re: How can this get the same MPG as the RDX? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-28-2013 12:31
aberabee wrote:
Mikeydred wrote:

I haven't heard about this lower center of gravity. Where did you get that info?

I guess it's a combination of the DI and aero like you guys mentioned. I'm not an MPG guy by any means but this big of an increase got my attention from an engineering standpoint.

Half inch lower ride height, don't know how much lower COG is. Could potentially be lower than a half inch, depending on where the weight is distributed.

auto_enthu
Profile for auto_enthu
Re: How can this get the same MPG as the RDX? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-28-2013 16:48
BachelorFrog wrote:
If thats the case then put back SHAWD back into RDX.

May be they will, if and when they put DI V6 in RDX.
Although not sure if that will ever happen.

rocky
Profile for rocky
Re: How can this get the same MPG as the RDX? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-28-2013 16:57
The RDX has the old school 3.5 for now. Which makes me wonder how much better it would do with the MDX or Accord V6.
TL_06
Profile for TL_06
Re: How can this get the same MPG as the RDX? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-28-2013 21:34
Lower center of gravity isn't doing anything for MPG. Lower coefficient of drag would. They claim big improvements in aero efficiency but didn't say how much is due to Cd and how much is smaller effective frontal area (if any).
xBeastx
Profile for xBeastx
Re: How can this get the same MPG as the RDX? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-28-2013 22:20
The DI Earth Dreams V6. The RDX still uses the old one.
JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: How can this get the same MPG as the RDX? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-28-2013 23:07
TL_06 wrote:
Lower center of gravity isn't doing anything for MPG. Lower coefficient of drag would. They claim big improvements in aero efficiency but didn't say how much is due to Cd and how much is smaller effective frontal area (if any).

the Cd is improved and the frontal area has been reduced - the new MDX is 1.5" shorter (vertically) and has 0.5" less ground clearance.

99SI
Profile for 99SI
Re: How can this get the same MPG as the RDX? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-28-2013 23:47
The more I see this EDV6 being rolled out the more impressed I am. The mpg and performance balance is perfect. I can't see why anyone would want a 4cyl (turbo or not) in lieu of this engine. Can't wait to see the application for the TL. I can't imagine that it is going to out perform the accord, but who knows. An MDX that does almost 30mpg is nuts. Even the combined # is strong. Does anyone know if premium is still a requirement? If not that along with the increased fuel economy will result in 20-25% savings in fuel costs

ipribadi
Profile for ipribadi
Re: How can this get the same MPG as the RDX? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-29-2013 14:12
I'm pretty sure premium gas is required.
What I'd like to know is the engine's compression ratio is.

I own a '13 RDX and wished Acura would have at least put in the '13 Accord V6 engine instead (EDT but no DI and still can run on regular).

Colin
Profile for Colin
Re: How can this get the same MPG as the RDX? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-29-2013 15:39
ipribadi wrote:
I'm pretty sure premium gas is required.
What I'd like to know is the engine's compression ratio is.

I own a '13 RDX and wished Acura would have at least put in the '13 Accord V6 engine instead (EDT but no DI and still can run on regular).

Through all our training they made a point to say that regular is ok but premium is recommended. Thus, I think it's safe to say that it's not 'required' for the '13 RDX.

Thread Page - [1]
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
29 mobile: 0