[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
NSX GT3 Evo To Compete Globally in 2019
More.......................
2019 Acura ILX Arrives with Dynamic New Styling, Major Technology Upgrades and New A-Spec Treatment
Honda Joins with Cruise and General Motors to Build New Autonomous Vehicle
Honda reports September 2018 sales numbers
Honda recalling 232,000 2018 Accords and 2019 Insights for rear camera software update
2019 Accord arriving in showrooms by November
Is a base trim of the Civic Type R finally arriving for MY 2019? (More MY2019 info inside)
Team Honda Research wins ST2 at NASA Nationals with their NC1 NSX
Amateur Racing & Driving --> Re: TSX @ NCCAR Apexfest
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: My TLX so far
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: European CO2 madness and why electromobility is pointless
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: "2019 Toyota Supra Is a BMW Parts Bin Car"
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> DMV Stickers, we don't need no stinking stickers
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: DC-R
Join Discussion......
Clarity --> Re: Clarity PHEV Owner
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Tesla’s Model 3 Is Becoming One of America’s Best-Selling Sedans
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Model Release Matrix?
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Fixing SH-AWD
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: CR-V Hybrid 4wd iMMD
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: BMW Drops 3-Series Manual Globally... Audi A4 too...
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: IMSA finale
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: 2019 Civic Accessories
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Goodbye TL-S 6MT
Join Discussion......
First Drive: 2019 Honda Insight
Read Article....................
2019 Honda Insight PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura RDX
2019 Acura RDX Features & Specifications
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX Advance
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX A-Spec

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
  TOV Articles > TOV Dyno Test: 2013 Accord EX 6MT > > Re: Terrible Color and Trim Choices for Manual Transmission Honda Accord

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author

Paul Maryland
Profile for Paul Maryland
Terrible Color and Trim Choices for Manual Transmission Honda Accord [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-20-2013 20:17
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Before you spend a lot of time on evaluating a Honda Accord or any Honda vehicle, make sure up front that you can live with the option package offered. Honda USA has very poor color choice options on the Accord coupe, especially the manual and is totally inflexible. For the manual four cylinder coupe, no EXL leather, EX only in black. Only three color options for the manual V-6. More color options are available on manuals in Canada then in the USA. Honda USA will not allow you to special order a color for a model even if that model's color is exported to Canada. No loyalty bonus for long term Honda owner to take a different model because of lack of color offering. Beware, Honda USA will not honor the manufacturer warrantee if you purchase it in Canada and bring it over to the United States.

Granted few companies are still offering manuals but if Honda is going to offer them have a decent choice of colors available that includes those colors that are exported to Canada. Probably only mechanical difference is the speedometer between the USA and Canada versions. Honda coupe sales are not likely to cannibalize sales from any other part of the company. My experience in ordering a Honda has really turned off to Honda management, especially marketing. I have purchased new three Honda Accords and have driven a Honda 25 out of my last 31 years. My opinion, Honda engineering is very good but Honda marketing is very poor and short sighted. When you by a car new, it virtually guarantees the manufacturer a sizeable income stream for a long time in terms of parts, service, and financing. For some reason Honda does not understand this.

atomiclightbulb
Profile for atomiclightbulb
Re: Terrible Color and Trim Choices for Manual Transmission Honda Accord [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-21-2013 09:36
I agree that the choices are too limiting.

For the sedans, LX and EX 6MT are only available in Silver or Steel (gray). You can get Black if you opt for a Sport 6MT. It's pretty annoying.

_Alex_
Profile for _Alex_
Re: Terrible Color and Trim Choices for Manual Transmission Honda Accord [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-22-2013 02:01
Is there a way to do a custom order where you can pick exterior and interior colors combo based on your liking (from existing colors of course)?
I heard that possible with companies like Ford/GM, wounder if Honda allow that too.

Paul Maryland
Re: Terrible Color and Trim Choices for Manual Transmission Honda Accord [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-22-2013 09:56
Unfortunately Honda does not allow special orders just their standard paint with as few as one one color and sometimes no offerings in certain drive train and trim combinations. I am trying to work with them on this. So far no budge from Honda at all. I will keep you posted as to my outcome.

In my opinion, Honda has improved the four cylinder so much that in the manual coupe, the four is the better option for most people with only one second slower zero to sixty times, 6 to 8 miles a gallon better in most real world driving, and a little better handling in the form a lighter less nose heavy car. In addition you save over $2000 by choosing the four cylinder. Numeous auto journalist have stated in their reviews that they prefer the overall performance of the four cylinder over the six cylinder.

I will likely speak to a higher level representative in Honda customer service today. Unfortunately, Honda is known in the industry for its inflexibilty in color and trim offerings. If enough people complain and loudly enough Honda might change. It probably does keep costs down slightly. However, if Honda offers poor color and trim level choices in a car that I am interested in with no recourse and a complete take it or leave it attitude in light of this customer driving a Honda for 24 out of the last 31 years, this customer will leave. In my opinion, consumers invest too much time and money in their cars and keep them too long to put up with such nonsense.

Paul Maryland
Re: Terrible Color and Trim Choices for Manual Transmission Honda Accord [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-22-2013 13:45
Honda choices are often very restrictive. Keep that in mind when deciding early on if Honda automobiles are a good fit for your needs. Temple of VTEC readers and contributors are automobile enthusiasts that truly care about the car that they drive and are more performance oriented than most buyers. VTEC Honda buyers want choices because they care about their cars and get more enjoyment from them than most buyers.

Honda customer service and Honda regional zone manager have offered nothing in terms of solutions: no color options that are being exported to Canada and no loyalty bonus for this long term Honda owner to take a different model as compensation for lacking model or basic color choices.

My experience in purchasing a new 2013 Honda Accord has left me with a negative view of Honda management, especially its marketing. Most people live with their new car purchase for a very long time. The customer deserves decent choices not a very narrow take it or leave it attitude. There are alternative middle grounds that seem reasonable to me such as offering colors that are exported to Canada to U.S. buyers or custom colors on special ordered vehicles at slightly higher prices. In my opinion, Honda engineering is very good but Honda marketing is poor and short sighted. If you feel the same way, let Honda know by calling customer support and by writing the company with your thoughts and how it is influencing your buying decision. I have done both.

_Alex_
Profile for _Alex_
Re: Terrible Color and Trim Choices for Manual Transmission Honda Accord [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-23-2013 01:39
So there's no way to get anything but what's on Honda's website?
Paul Maryland
Re: Terrible Color and Trim Choices for Manual Transmission Honda Accord [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-23-2013 21:12
Sad but true. I have gone to every level at Honda that I could and no compromise. No EX-L and EX LX-S is black only in the four cylinder manual coupe. The only way to change this is for Honda buyers in mass to talk to Honda and file customer complaint on the phone and in a letter to the CEO, Make it plain unless better options are given you will walk.

If you have your heart set on a Honda but hate the color and option packages, check other manufactures or buy a used Honda. Past years might have better color and option packages and Honda is making less money off you. Let Honda know by call or case number if you do not buy a new Honda because of their stupid color ant trim options. Let them know how much you are enjoying the other manufacturer's vehicle.

I am 90 percent sure I will not purchase a new Honda because of this. If you are looking for something else that is more sporty and can wait a few months for its introduction consider the upcoming 2014 Subaru WRX. The new WRX is stated to get its own platform and not an Impeza platform. Power and handling on any road will put any Accord in the dust. Different class of car different look, that likely will continue being smaller than the Accord that has the pluses and the minuses of a turbo. According to 2013 Consumer Reports, Subaru received the highest rating of any non luxury car brand and finished second overall to Lexus.

Good luck and let me know your thoughts.

jero
Profile for jero
Re: Terrible Color and Trim Choices for Manual Transmission Honda Accord [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-24-2013 23:29
Same as with the S2000 community.

The community begged for something new color wise after 10 years:

Imola Orange Pearl
Lime Green Metallic
Moonrock
Monza Red Pearl
Royal Navy Pearl
Burgandy Metallic
Platinum White
Sunset Muave Pearl

NONE of these colors were offered in the US.

I believe the official answer was they didn't want to import a special color (Imola being the run away #1 IMO) even for a swan song final special edition because buyers would be frustrated they couldn't find one that color.

So... we won't add orange because demand will be too high on a car with dwindling sales numbers going on year 10?!

Had Honda made a Imola 2009 S2000, I would gamble they could have easily sold them all with a 10% premium added over MSRP.

But then they did make a "ultimate edition" in Europe only with white/red. Why Europe? In Europe they sold 19k units in 10 years while in the US they sold 60k+.

I just don't get it.

Paul Maryland
Re: Terrible Color and Trim Choices for Manual Transmission Honda Accord [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-26-2013 10:47
I totally agree with you. This is a management decision that can not be defended. Considerable lost revenue and little cost savings to Honda, especially if the customer is willing to pay a premium for more color choices.

jero
Profile for jero
Re: Terrible Color and Trim Choices for Manual Transmission Honda Accord [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-27-2013 09:30

Are these not all built and painted in the same factory?

Paul Maryland
Re: Terrible Color and Trim Choices for Manual Transmission Honda Accord [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-28-2013 20:41
All Accords sold in eastern and central Canada are made in Marysville Ohio. Because of the strong yen, Honda is making Accords in Ohio for export to non-North American countries as well. With the plant in Ohio being very busy, this may further be adding to Honda inflexibility on color and trim options. Still dumb in my opinion
TXsalesguy
Profile for TXsalesguy
Re: Terrible Color and Trim Choices for Manual Transmission Honda Accord [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-15-2013 00:38
From the sales side, the management's position is justified. There just isn't the demand for manual transmissions anymore. Younger buyers have not been brought up in a world where they even have a chance to learn to drive on a manual. I can't tell you how many times a younger buyer came in to look at the Si or S2000 only to walk away because they couldn't drive a manual. Don't ask my why they didn't do a bit of research before hand.

There is still a market, yes, but it is shrinking every year. The upper end Accord sedans (especially) sat on the lot when they came with a manual. The handful of manual Accords we do get are few and far between and there is no mad rush.

Don't get me wrong, not advocating this move to automatic trannies only. I am sadden by it personally, I owned 4 manual Accords in the 80s and 90s. The only automatics I have ever owned were the 99 Odyssey (no manual available of course) an 03 TL and currently a 2011 Accord EXL V6. I might get the Sport 6MT when the lease is up but the color option might sway that. The Sport would be my chance to get an Accord Sedan in Obsidian Blue with a Black interior.... but no go for that on the 6MT.

Paul Maryland
Re: Terrible Color and Trim Choices for Manual Transmission Honda Accord [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-26-2013 15:02
I agree with you the market for manuals is declining. However, Honda makes more colors equpped with manuals in models that they send to Canada. Likely the only significant difference in the U.S. and Canada versions is the speedometers. If the customer is willing to special order the car, why not send him one of the colors that is being shipped to Canada? In my opinion, I will probably wait until the new 2014 Subaru WRX comes out and buy it The 2014 WRX will be available with a six speed manual and in many colors. Honda will lose initial sale and subsequent parts and service from me.
gofast182
Profile for gofast182
Re: Terrible Color and Trim Choices for Manual Transmission Honda Accord [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-02-2013 14:58
jero wrote:
Same as with the S2000 community.

The community begged for something new color wise after 10 years:

Imola Orange Pearl
Lime Green Metallic
Moonrock
Monza Red Pearl
Royal Navy Pearl
Burgandy Metallic
Platinum White
Sunset Muave Pearl

NONE of these colors were offered in the US.

I believe the official answer was they didn't want to import a special color (Imola being the run away #1 IMO) even for a swan song final special edition because buyers would be frustrated they couldn't find one that color.

So... we won't add orange because demand will be too high on a car with dwindling sales numbers going on year 10?!

Had Honda made a Imola 2009 S2000, I would gamble they could have easily sold them all with a 10% premium added over MSRP.

But then they did make a "ultimate edition" in Europe only with white/red. Why Europe? In Europe they sold 19k units in 10 years while in the US they sold 60k+.

I just don't get it.

Absolutely right. I would've jumped on that white/red special edition had they brought it here (which I, too, questioned as the US is the bigger market). Heck, even those other colors are really good, and yes, they would've sold every Imola almost immediately.

A77X
Profile for A77X
Re: Terrible Color and Trim Choices for Manual Transmission Honda Accord [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-07-2013 21:33
Paul Maryland wrote:
I agree with you the market for manuals is declining. However, Honda makes more colors equpped with manuals in models that they send to Canada. Likely the only significant difference in the U.S. and Canada versions is the speedometers. If the customer is willing to special order the car, why not send him one of the colors that is being shipped to Canada? In my opinion, I will probably wait until the new 2014 Subaru WRX comes out and buy it The 2014 WRX will be available with a six speed manual and in many colors. Honda will lose initial sale and subsequent parts and service from me.

Not siding with Honda on this but the canadian Sport has a number of differences apart from its kph dominated speedo. It has heated seats and mirrors. A 6 speaker stereo. a 4 litre windshield washer bottle with low level warning. maybe different battery spec. Could be other things. Doesnt excuse the lack of US manual options. our trouble up here is getting enough manuals. I sold three last month and have another going out Friday. But we have no stock at all now apart from V6-6 coupes.

SH-AWD10
Profile for SH-AWD10
Re: Terrible Color and Trim Choices for Manual Transmission Honda Accord [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-21-2013 16:08
I understand why HOnda does this (small market for the cars, efficiencies, etc.), but they are creating a self-fulfilling prophecy. Why bother engineering and manufacturing the best MTs i the industry if you suffocate demand for the cars due to limited color and exterior trim selections. Kudos for Honda for making and selling MTs, but man, don't kill your own market due to a lack of choices. Maybe special order (with an appropriate and reasonable price premium) is the answer.
Paul Maryland
Re: Terrible Color and Trim Choices for Manual Transmission Honda Accord [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-02-2013 19:21
Manual transmissions improve cars performance, control, and handling. Weather and much better color and trim choices are probably major reason for greater manual popularity in Canada. Hopefully Honda offers more color choices for 2014 model year in the United States. Come on Honda, some of your customers care about this and problems like this does not make your customer support look good. For many customers, lack of exterior color choices, and better trim levels are deal breakers that drive customers to other car brands. Your Acura brand does not even offer a coupe or the direct injected four as of spring 2013. Please care more about your customers than trying to up sell them to your Acura brand and its relatively poor offerings.

Thread Page - [1]
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
29 mobile: 0