[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
Team Honda Research wins ST2 at NASA Nationals with their NC1 NSX
More.......................
Acura releases details on refreshed 2019 ILX
2019 Accord loses EX-L Navi and 1.5T Touring trims
American Honda Reports August Sales Increase as Trucks Smash Previous Records
2019 NSX Debuts in Monterey with Design Updates, Chassis Enhancements and Expanded Color Palette
2019 Civic trim change summary
Honda announces changes for 2019 Civic, including new Sport trim
When is the 2019 Accord arriving in showrooms? Maybe not until 2019
Civic --> Re: 2019 Civic Interior first picture
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: C&D Lightning Lap 2018
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: Looking at a 2018 Accord Sport!
Join Discussion......
Photoshops --> Re: Honda URB
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: '19 Variations on the CTR?
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Toyota Supra - First Drive
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: A big finger to handbrake turns
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: 10th generation Accord Mk2 - niggles fixed with minor tweaks!
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Ford "pulls an Acura" in their latest commercial
Join Discussion......
CR-Z --> Re: Honda's Biggest Mistake? Why Now Is The Time To Buy The Misunderstood CR-Z
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Mazda CX-5 to get 2.5 Turbo Engine?
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Aragon MotoGP Spoiler
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: Custom Paint Job Civic Type R
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda Inspire test drive video
Join Discussion......
Videos --> Re: 2018 Acura NSX Review - The Best Everyday Supercar
Join Discussion......
First Drive: 2019 Honda Insight
Read Article....................
2019 Honda Insight PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura RDX
2019 Acura RDX Features & Specifications
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX Advance
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX A-Spec

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
  TOV News > All-New 2014 Acura MDX Debuts at the New York International Auto Show > > Re: Why does Acura think exhaust tips look bad?

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author

TR
Profile for TR
Why does Acura think exhaust tips look bad? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-27-2013 12:58
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
All new Acuras look neutered, literally.
This is the most puzzling design decision, even when compared with the tooth.

RHalabi
Profile for RHalabi
Re: Why does Acura think exhaust tips look bad? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-27-2013 13:41
TR wrote:
All new Acuras look neutered, literally.
This is the most puzzling design decision, even when compared with the tooth.

clean style from german cars in the early 2000's had this look.

This is where Acura currently is evolution wise. If you drive a new acura they feel more solid and quiet like an early 2001 5 series etc. So this makes sense they are at the stage.

TR
Profile for TR
Re: Why does Acura think exhaust tips look bad? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-27-2013 14:34
From 2000 and up...
BMW X5 has always had exhaust tips coming out from the bumper.
BMW 3 certainly had visible exhausts
BMW 5, no idea
BMW 7, yea, I agree, it was hidden

In any case, the problem is that we are not in 2000 and for some insane reason Acura is once again trying to go against the grain, which makes absolutely no sense.

x2lacrosse
Profile for x2lacrosse
Re: Why does Acura think exhaust tips look bad? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-27-2013 14:39
Amen brother. I've been bitching about this since the ILX came out.

Copying an idea that another maker used more than 10 years ago....BRILLIANT. And if it was such a great look, why didn't they stick with it. If you're going to reference the word 'Nuburgring' in your press release, please don't style your vehicle like a cheap econobox.

jshaw
Profile for jshaw
Re: Why does Acura think exhaust tips look bad? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-27-2013 14:43
TR wrote:
From 2000 and up...
BMW X5 has always had exhaust tips coming out from the bumper.
BMW 3 certainly had visible exhausts
BMW 5, no idea
BMW 7, yea, I agree, it was hidden

In any case, the problem is that we are not in 2000 and for some insane reason Acura is once again trying to go against the grain, which makes absolutely no sense.

Acura should instead build a BMW X5, which really only sells because of the BMW badge, I admit, but that's no problem in the US... I think? Better yet, let Acura be Acura. The beak, as maligned as it was, pushed Acura to make more interesting (rather than good looking, yet bland) designs for a while. However, since they are getting good at the beak, they have managed to make even that, a bit more, placid?

I think Motortrend had a comment in the article, on how the hidden exhausts should better attract disenfranchised Lexus RX intenders (it's getting too masculine), which I agree with.

Then again, I don't like most exhaust tips, to begin with. I'm fine with Acura's way of making them.

TR
Profile for TR
Re: Why does Acura think exhaust tips look bad? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-27-2013 15:01
Somehow I don't think Acura will attract customers by removing round outlets below the rear bumper. I have never seen a single post on any forum asking for this.
jshaw
Profile for jshaw
Re: Why does Acura think exhaust tips look bad? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-27-2013 15:09
If they were only, "round outlets below the rear bumper," then removing them will have no effect, positive or negative.
x2lacrosse
Profile for x2lacrosse
Re: Why does Acura think exhaust tips look bad? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-27-2013 15:25
I can certainly see no exhaust tips being a non-factor to the majority of this vehicle's audience.
But as a performance guy, I don't understand the application across the entire lineup and to every model. Exhaust packaging is one of the appeals to enthusiasts. For example, the "performance" version of the ILX has hidden exhausts and same suspension as the other two, that makes no sense to me. I can also see that being a possible issue for whatever model slots between the ILX and RLX (TLX??). Remember the TL-S? Those quad tips were one of the visual cues telling people that this was a different TL, a special one. One that wasn't just about getting from point A to point B, but the awesome feeling you got in between. Honda has just about forgotten about us even when they try to appeal to us, it's not a whole-hearted effort anymore.

TR
Profile for TR
Re: Why does Acura think exhaust tips look bad? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-27-2013 15:38
Exactly.
Non enthusiasts wouldn't care anyway.
But many enthusiasts will not like this even if it'll not prevent them from buying an Acura. So again, what is the point? Just to make people and media talk about how Acura is playing it "safe"?

I'd love to say that Acura is saving some room for performance trims but as you mentioned, ILX proves otherwise.

NM
Profile for NM
Re: Why does Acura think exhaust tips look bad? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-28-2013 00:34
I don't know, I'm kinda glad that it's not showing, it looks cleaner. If I was buying a sport car it might be a different story but this is SUV. Also I like exhaust if it was put in the right place, but if they are gonna put it in where below the bumper or something where it looks out of place then I'd rather not have it. IMO it usually looks good if it was integrated into the body design like the previous Lexus LS (not sure about the latest one, I haven't seen it). Even on this MDX if the exhaust were where the reflectors are (I think that's what they are) it would look pretty good, it already look like they are exhaust anyway because they put chrome around those reflectors. I just don't want them hanging out where they don't belong. Especially if they are way below the bumper there by themselves.
x2lacrosse
Profile for x2lacrosse
Re: Why does Acura think exhaust tips look bad? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-28-2013 11:57
NM wrote:
If I was buying a sport car it might be a different story but this is SUV

Oh, but if only Honda thought this was just a SUV, then it would be all good. If they would only say this is simply a grocery-getter or a soccer game vehicle, then it would be all good. But then Conrad had go mention the word "Nurburgring" in his statement. There's only one reason you mention that word and that is to instill a sense of confidence that this car has sporting capabilities. That's where I have a problem with this. I agree that simply having dual pipes on this car would be out of character, but there's no reason they couldn't have gone w/ the LS look w/ the tips integrated into the bumper. Every vehicle has its mission, it's just that Honda's mission statement these days doesn't always make sense.

Thread Page - [1]
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
29 mobile: 0