[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
American Honda Reports November Sales
More.......................
2019 Honda Passport Makes World Debut: Adventure-Ready All-New 5-passenger SUV at 2018 LA Auto Show
LIVE from Los Angeles: TOV's coverage of the 2019 Honda Passport reveal
First Look: DNA Collectibles releases Urban EV Concept 1:18 scale model
All-New 2019 Honda Passport Starts Adventure with Global Debut in Los Angeles
2019 CR-V goes on sale with few changes, nominal price increase
2019 Honda Civic Type R and Civic Hatchback Accelerate into Dealerships
American Honda Reports October Sales
Videos --> Re: The NSX replaces the ZR1
Join Discussion......
Ridgeline - Modifications --> Re: Rear Door Hack
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: What is the Most Practical Car Color
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: " The Sedans are coming, the Sedans are coming! "
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: Type-S caught testing
Join Discussion......
Videos --> Vivid Racing Tune the NSX MkII
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: 22 mm Progressive Sway Bar on Civic Si
Join Discussion......
Photoshops --> Re: Legend
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: Accord 2.0 Touring: Additional Impressions
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> World Superbikes Ten Kate Team Bankrupt
Join Discussion......
TSX --> Re: TSX+Conti Control Contact AS vs 9" snow
Join Discussion......
Pilot --> Re: Anybody towing with 9AT Pilot or Odysseys?
Join Discussion......
Strictly Technical --> Re: B16 Heads
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Need Help
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2018 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix
Join Discussion......
2019 Acura NSX PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
First Drive: 2019 Acura ILX
2019 Acura ILX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Pilot
2019 Honda Pilot PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Insight

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
  TOV Articles > TOV Dyno Test: 2013 Accord EX 6MT > > Re: What the K24W1 looks like..

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author

Hondatalover
Profile for Hondatalover
What the K24W1 looks like.. [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-07-2013 17:10
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Honda had to of cut costs in some area's to keep this new Accord such a great deal and bargin it is. And this is one of the area's.

Remember how well crafted and designed the older engines and looked? Showing off their beautifully crafted heads and manifolds. Honda has always built a beautiful looking engine. Even the K24Z's and K24Y's looked good with their integrated exhaust manifolds.

K24A2

[K24Z7

And now we get plastic covers on the head and a ugly exhaust manifolds in our face!

K24W1

K24W1 without plastic head cover

And yeah I know this is a stupid thing to complain about when the performance of this engine is so good but I love the way Honda engines look. This was kinda a let down for me.

atomiclightbulb
Profile for atomiclightbulb
Re: What the K24W1 looks like.. [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-07-2013 17:45
Hondatalover wrote:
And yeah I know this is a stupid thing to complain about when the performance of this engine is so good but I love the way Honda engines look. This was kinda a let down for me.

The K24W1 looks like it is mounted the same way as the R18 in the Civic. Is there a technical reason for the change in the way the engine is installed in the engine bay?

Having seen the dyno charts though... I really don't care so much about the aesthetic changes. 179 HP at the wheels for an I4 on regular gasoline? Holy f$#! Assuming a 10%-15% driveline loss for the 6MT, the engine is actually making somewhere between 199 and 210 horsepower at the crank.

Thanks Jeff for running this dyno test!

Hondatalover
Profile for Hondatalover
Re: What the K24W1 looks like.. [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-07-2013 18:01
atomiclightbulb wrote:
Hondatalover wrote:

The K24W1 looks like it is mounted the same way as the R18 in the Civic. Is there a technical reason for the change in the way the engine is installed in the engine bay?

Having seen the dyno charts though... I really don't care so much about the aesthetic changes. 179 HP at the wheels for an I4 on regular gasoline? Holy f$#! Assuming a 10%-15% driveline loss for the 6MT, the engine is actually making somewhere between 199 and 210 horsepower at the crank.

Thanks Jeff for running this dyno test!

Not too sure about the mounting. I assume its cheaper somehow? Maybe because of the new platform.. IDK.

I totally agree, people just don't know about how these Honda's out do their self's. ;)

Roughly 210HP/ 190LB-FT at the crank is ALOT on a N/A, 83 octane 2.4L. 179HP and 173LB-FT at the wheels is no joke!

J35Y and K24W both outperform their suggested numbers on paper when on the Dyno!

JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: What the K24W1 looks like.. [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-07-2013 18:05
Hondatalover wrote:
Honda had to of cut costs in some area's to keep this new Accord such a great deal and bargin it is. And this is one of the area's.

Remember how well crafted and designed the older engines and looked? Showing off their beautifully crafted heads and manifolds. Honda has always built a beautiful looking engine. Even the K24Z's and K24Y's looked good with their integrated exhaust manifolds.

And now we get plastic covers on the head and a ugly exhaust manifolds in our face!

Take a look at an ecoboost without the plastic shrouds. Looks like a science project.

Last edited by JeffX on 03-07-2013 19:12
Hondatalover
Profile for Hondatalover
Re: What the K24W1 looks like.. [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-07-2013 18:31
JeffX wrote:

Take a look at an ecoboost without the plastic shrouds. Looks like a science project.

YIKES!!

lol I guess Honda is still making some pretty damn sexy engines then, huh? They sound, perform and run the best while making decent or better yet, competitive numbers on paper. Dyno says other wise. ;)

BachelorFrog
Profile for BachelorFrog
Re: What the K24W1 looks like.. [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-07-2013 19:30
Did Honda left that much space for a turbo charger? ;) jk..
notyper
Profile for notyper
Re: What the K24W1 looks like.. [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-07-2013 19:51
IIRC, we heard something mentioned about heat management with the new platform. It was too tough to keep the close coupled cat from cooking everything on the firewall without a ton of insulation. Moving it to the front eliminates a lot of radiant and convective heat issues for the cabin.

SC

Hondatalover wrote:
Not too sure about the mounting. I assume its cheaper somehow? Maybe because of the new platform.. IDK.

JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: What the K24W1 looks like.. [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-07-2013 20:14
notyper wrote:
IIRC, we heard something mentioned about heat management with the new platform. It was too tough to keep the close coupled cat from cooking everything on the firewall without a ton of insulation. Moving it to the front eliminates a lot of radiant and convective heat issues for the cabin.

SC

Hondatalover wrote:

you remembered correctly. As I recall, I think they mentioned that the cat's large size also proved to be a packaging challenge - due to the size of it, the resulting limited clearance with the firewall was going to create too many thermal headaches, so they just flipped the head back to the "old way".

atomiclightbulb
Profile for atomiclightbulb
Re: What the K24W1 looks like.. [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-07-2013 20:23
JeffX wrote:
notyper wrote:

SC

you remembered correctly. As I recall, I think they mentioned that the cat's large size also proved to be a packaging challenge - due to the size of it, the resulting limited clearance with the firewall was going to create too many thermal headaches, so they just flipped the head back to the "old way".

Makes sense. Thanks for the explanation.

Fan Koni
Profile for Fan Koni
Re: What the K24W1 looks like.. [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-07-2013 20:43
BachelorFrog wrote:
Did Honda left that much space for a turbo charger? ;) jk..

Well the 1.6 diesel maybe a big hint!
They packaged it in a similar layout.

jshaw
Profile for jshaw
Re: What the K24W1 looks like.. [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-07-2013 22:05
JeffX wrote:

Is that part of why the Mazda6 seems to have a gap between the front wheels and the front door? In order to fit the 4-2-1 exhaust manifolds and the cat? IIRC, Mazda has the '14 Mazda6 engine mounted with the intake facing forward.

towncaptain
Profile for towncaptain
Re: What the K24W1 looks like.. [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-08-2013 00:22
atomiclightbulb wrote:
JeffX wrote:
notyper wrote:

SC

Makes sense. Thanks for the explanation.

Yep. It's like traditional honda engines....intake at the back and exhaust up front. It won't looks as pretty but probably more functional.

Hondarulez
Profile for Hondarulez
Re: What the K24W1 looks like.. [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-08-2013 12:01
Man the K24W1 6MT combo almost puts down as much power and torque as my 2g TL-S 5AT...lol.
_Alex_
Profile for _Alex_
Re: What the K24W1 looks like.. [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-08-2013 12:56
It could be.
I had '03 Sedan 5at V6 and looking at dyno they are qite close
http://www.vtec.net/articles/view-article?page_number=2&article_id=58735
Not sure thou it these are comparable dynos.

JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: What the K24W1 looks like.. [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-08-2013 13:20
_Alex_ wrote:
It could be.
I had '03 Sedan 5at V6 and looking at dyno they are qite close
http://www.vtec.net/articles/view-article?page_number=2&article_id=58735
Not sure thou it these are comparable dynos.

It's he exact same dyno and the same shop we've always used to test here in Atlanta.

_Alex_
Profile for _Alex_
Re: What the K24W1 looks like.. [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-08-2013 13:34
Thank you for clarifying this Jeff!
Looks like below ~5K rpm these two are really really close.

Hondarulez
Profile for Hondarulez
Re: What the K24W1 looks like.. [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-08-2013 18:01
Thanks Jeff and Alex.

No wonder the Accord I4 6MT is capable of 0-60mph in 6.6s and 1/4 mile in the 15's at 90+mph....it's just 15whp less powerful.

_Alex_
Profile for _Alex_
Re: What the K24W1 looks like.. [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-08-2013 19:09
I think this is not just about power rating alone - there's some trickery with TCS/VSA/ABS behavior as well.
'03 V6 auto would light TCS warning and cut the power off if you take off too aggressively, especially with laughable OEM 16" 215/x-16 tires.
It was rather unpleasant experience.
Even after moving to sticky 225/45-17 summer tires that issues was only partially tamed.
On '13 I4 6mt I yet have to see TCS coming on.
Have not tried aggressive clutch drops yet (and very unlikely ever will) but somewhat quick lunch does provide some of the wheelspin which not once cause TCS to come one or cut off the power delivery, it's rather short and in fact feels very similar to LSD action (which this car simply does not have).
So to me it looks like they probably changed some of the suspension geometry or perhaps alignment to make this car more tractable.
It's a blast to drive with manual - feels very refined and accelerates almost effortlessly.

Hondatalover
Profile for Hondatalover
Re: What the K24W1 looks like.. [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-08-2013 20:59
_Alex_ wrote:
I think this is not just about power rating alone - there's some trickery with TCS/VSA/ABS behavior as well.
'03 V6 auto would light TCS warning and cut the power off if you take off too aggressively, especially with laughable OEM 16" 215/x-16 tires.
Even after moving to sticky 225/45-17 summer tires that issues was only partially tamed.

The 2013 Accord V6 with 17's murders traction all the way up till 40MPH. TCS jumps on and off quickly to keep wheel spin down but rapid acceleration up. Very clever of Honda.

6AT 0-60
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdaYpQTr-S4

6MT 0-60 (Coupe)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Td_Ws41hBc

6AT Launch (outside car) with 2nd gear wheel chirp
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQXH7pAe_9U

6AT Accord vs R tuned Built Civic (Accord was said to not be full throttle at launch)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gshYSBcZ5V0

Hondarulez
Profile for Hondarulez
Re: What the K24W1 looks like.. [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-11-2013 12:37
_Alex_ wrote:
On '13 I4 6mt I yet have to see TCS coming on.
Have not tried aggressive clutch drops yet (and very unlikely ever will) but somewhat quick lunch does provide some of the wheelspin which not once cause TCS to come one or cut off the power delivery, it's rather short and in fact feels very similar to LSD action (which this car simply does not have).
So to me it looks like they probably changed some of the suspension geometry or perhaps alignment to make this car more tractable.
It's a blast to drive with manual - feels very refined and accelerates almost effortlessly.

There's no button to turn off TCS in the Accord? I can turn off VSA completely in my 2g TL-S.

_Alex_
Profile for _Alex_
Re: What the K24W1 looks like.. [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-11-2013 14:01
There's but I did not turned it off - it just does not come ON even there's plenty of wheelspin in 1st gear.
It's probably less aggressive TCS setup (comparing to older V6 auto).

_Alex_
Profile for _Alex_
Re: What the K24W1 looks like.. [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-11-2013 14:11
This is interesting:
http://www.hondanews.com/channels/honda-automobiles-accord/releases/2013-honda-accord-safety

VSA also provides a limited-slip differential effect for the front wheels by applying braking force to a slipping wheel, thereby redirecting driving force to the wheel with more traction.VSA is calibrated to function in a near-transparent manner, and in many cases a driver will not even be aware of its operation. However, anytime the system engages, an indicator light flashes in the instrument cluster. While the driver can deactivate the VSA stability enhancement and traction-control functions via a switch on the instrument panel, ABS remains fully operational at all times.

This may be it.
Do not recall reading about this before, used to be Acura only feature (TL/TSX).

KMG1219
Profile for KMG1219
Re: What the K24W1 looks like.. [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-11-2013 16:11
Back in the day my H22 had this mounting in my Accord. I had a Greddy SS header which made it look pretty damn nice.

Thread Page - [1]
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
30 mobile: 0