[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
American Honda Sets New June Sales Records on Strength of Light Trucks
More.......................
Honda reveals refreshed 2019 HR-V and Pilot
Acura TLX GT wins class and places 3rd overall at 2018 Pikes Peak International Hill Climb
Spied on the Street! 2019 Pilot and Pilot PHEV mule
All-New 2019 Honda Insight Brings Style, Sophistication and 55 mpg City Rating
It's Official: Honda to supply Red Bull Racing in Formula One from 2019
Will the next-gen TLX bring back double wishbones? Or a Plugin Hybrid model?
Acura tackles Pikes Peak with 2019 RDX, NSX, and TLX entries
Civic --> Re: 2017 Civic Si 360whp One Take
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda new teaser ad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Join Discussion......
ILX --> Re: 2019 ILX
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: Such a damn nice car
Join Discussion......
Civic --> 2001 Honda Civic non-vtec to vtec engine switch
Join Discussion......
Repair and Maintenance --> 2001 Honda Civic non-vtec to vtec engine switch
Join Discussion......
Repair and Maintenance --> 2001 Honda Civic non-vtec to vtec engine switch
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Re: Marauding Mirais
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: New RDX vs NX Infomercial
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: 2018 WC
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: MotoGP - Sachsenring TT (you should watch)
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Trying to decide on color
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> New H70 pumps freezing
Join Discussion......
Amateur Racing & Driving --> Re: Car recommendation for cheap track fun?
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: Just got a 2.0 Accord Touring
Join Discussion......
First Drive: 2019 Honda Insight
Read Article....................
2019 Honda Insight PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura RDX
2019 Acura RDX Features & Specifications
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX Advance
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX A-Spec

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
  TOV News > All-New 2014 Acura RLX Employs an Array of New Signature Acura Technologies to Deliver a New Level > > Re: What is up with all these acronyms?

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author

F148VR
Profile for F148VR
What is up with all these acronyms? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-18-2013 20:50
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Is it me or is Honda/Acura getting a little out of control with acronyms used to describe what's in their cars? Care to guess how many acronmys are used to describe the new RLX in this press release? If the car is not impressive, their use of acronyms certainly is.
xBeastx
Profile for xBeastx
Re: What is up with all these acronyms? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-18-2013 22:43
It's not cool. I prefer real names to these names. Pretty much every luxury brand is doing it, and I don't like it. Expect for Lambos and Rolls-Royce, but they are somewhere up there above luxury cars.
according2kev
Profile for according2kev
Re: What is up with all these acronyms? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-18-2013 22:44
This is not Honda/Acura exclusive. Visit the sites of other manufacturers and you'll find the same thing.

jshaw
Profile for jshaw
Re: What is up with all these acronyms? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-18-2013 23:56
xBeastx wrote:
It's not cool. I prefer real names to these names. Pretty much every luxury brand is doing it, and I don't like it. Expect for Lambos and Rolls-Royce, but they are somewhere up there above luxury cars.

Wrong topic. :p

At any rate, have you seen BMW? We know Honda openly apes BMW designs, it looks like they have gotten to the silly acronyms, too. Though, Honda has always had acronyms and names for technology, instead of english names.

F148VR
Profile for F148VR
Re: What is up with all these acronyms? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-19-2013 10:17
according2kev wrote:
This is not Honda/Acura exclusive. Visit the sites of other manufacturers and you'll find the same thing.

I'm not so sure about that. I've checked out Audi, BMW, MB, Lexus, & Infinit's websites, while Japanese brands seem to use more acronmys than the Germans, none seems to be tossing them out as often as Acura. Just read how others describe their vehicles, and then compare those with how Acura describe theirs. I just don't see the emphasis on acronyms by others as I see with Acura. Furthermore, others don't seem to have nearly as many brand specific ones like Acura; rather, more generic ones like AWD, HID, EBD, etc. I counted no less than sixteen (16!!!) acronyms used in RLX's press release alone!

I'm not convinced that Acura's use of acronyms bring anything to the table, paticularly with the demographics that RLX is targeting. I also think this approach may have unintended consequences of highlighting the fact that there are just more things that can go wrong with the car and will be expensive to fix.

Potenza
Profile for Potenza
Re: What is up with all these acronyms? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-19-2013 15:07
F148VR wrote:
according2kev wrote:

I'm not so sure about that. I've checked out Audi, BMW, MB, Lexus, & Infinit's websites, while Japanese brands seem to use more acronmys than the Germans, none seems to be tossing them out as often as Acura. Just read how others describe their vehicles, and then compare those with how Acura describe theirs. I just don't see the emphasis on acronyms by others as I see with Acura. Furthermore, others don't seem to have nearly as many brand specific ones like Acura; rather, more generic ones like AWD, HID, EBD, etc. I counted no less than sixteen (16!!!) acronyms used in RLX's press release alone!

You're comparing websites to a press release. If you've ever seen a BMW press release, you'd know you have to take it in doses like most novels.

Here's three sentences from a 7-series press release:

Driving Dynamics Control with ECO PRO mode is standard for 740i/Li and 750i/Li models. Driving Dynamics Control allows the driver to tailor accelerator response characteristics, engine response, power steering characteristics, and the Dynamic Stability Control thresholds. The Servotronic function, Integral Active Steering, automatic transmission and Dynamic Damper Control are also integrated into the system.

As someone who has been through BMW factory training, let me say that Acura doesn't even begin to come close to BMW in the acronym game. We were given pages of acronyms we had to learn. Never mind that many of them were based on German words... *yikes*

Acura's acronym usage is honestly a non-issue.

according2kev
Re: What is up with all these acronyms? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-19-2013 15:40
F148VR wrote:
according2kev wrote:

I'm not convinced that Acura's use of acronyms bring anything to the table, paticularly with the demographics that RLX is targeting. I also think this approach may have unintended consequences of highlighting the fact that there are just more things that can go wrong with the car and will be expensive to fix.

You may be right about the Germans, I hardly ever visit their websites. But as I stated earlier plenty of other automakers get good use out of acronyms, maybe more so on the sites than the PRs and I suspect the average consumer is more likely to view the website vs the PR.

You claim to have counted no less than 16 but in my quick skim (short on time so maybe I missed a few?) I saw only 13. I did notice that they mentioned several of the acronyms 2-3 times so maybe you counted some of the same ones several times. Here are the ones I saw
LKAS
CMBS
ACE
PAWS
SHAWD
ODMD
ACC
IVTEC
LDW
FCW
BSI
VSA
MID

For the last 7, notice that some of the other manufacturers have their own acronyms for these systems (just like Honda/Acura) or some use the same ones. Taking that into consideration, I don't find much left to dwell on.

F148VR
Profile for F148VR
Re: What is up with all these acronyms? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-19-2013 22:53
My point is even with thirteen, it is still too many. Just look at the list you made, doesn't it just look ridiculous? I challenge anyone selling Acuras that even knows half of what these acronyms are, let alone explain what they do...

BTW, the ones you left out are VCM, ELS, & SOHC, which makes it sixteen in all, not including the mentioning of LED. While many of these may be obvious and academic to you and me, I suspect these are just more confusing and meaningless letters/acronyms to a typical luxury car shopper.

according2kev
Re: What is up with all these acronyms? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-22-2013 16:03
Okay, so I did miss a few but even at sixteen it's in the ballpark with some other brands. I visited the Lexus and Infiniti websites to compare.

Lexus GS
ASL
LPS
ECB
VDIM
VSC
TRAC
AVS
VGRS
AFS
ALR
ELR
CRS
SOS
ECTi
ECVT
VVTi
HIE
A few others listed that I thought were general: EPS, SRS, ABS, EBD.

Infiniti M
VVEL
CVTCS
ASC
HEPS
ATC
AABS (not to be confused with ABS)
AHR
ELR
ALR
BA
TCS
VDC
VSP
BSW
BSI
FCW
IBA
LDW
LDP
DCA

Others listed for the M that were general: EBD, RDS, LATCH, TPMS

cFoo
Profile for cFoo
Re: What is up with all these acronyms? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-22-2013 16:15
Be very glad they're not sticking all those acronyms on the back of the car. It was cool when it was VTEC. But now, just about every other brands out there are sticking everything under the sun at the back of their cars. It's starting to borderline ridiculous when you see SkyActive, 4 Motion, PAWS?, etc.. it is to the point where I see one I have no idea what it means or give a crap about it.

Thread Page - [1]
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
30 mobile: 0