[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
This 2019 Acura RDX A-Spec is wearing an exclusive new shade of blue
More.......................
2019 Pilot gets upgraded with standard LED headlights and "Telematics"
More.......................
Sources: 2019 HR-V adds Sport trim, loses 6MT option
More.......................
All-new 2019 Acura RDX Makes Road Debut as Official Vehicle of Rally Cycling Alongside NSX Supercar
More.......................
Clarity Electric still available for $199/month lease, but down payment has increased $600
More.......................
Driving impressions: Hondata's FlashPro for the FK8 Civic Type R
More.......................
American Honda Reports April Sales Results
More.......................
Honda reveals Everus EV Concept at Beijing International Auto Show
More.......................
General Talk --> Re: I just realized
Join Discussion......
NSX --> Re: 2020 NSX Type-R
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Electricity Supplies tight in Calimestan
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: 2019 Civic MMC rumors?
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Porsche Macan S weight distro: 56.7/43.3
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Drove the new Mazda 6 Signature with 2.5 Skyactiv Turbo today
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Electronic rear view mirrors - one thing I don't like
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: 2019 RDX Trim Levels
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Re: Beat a Mirai to the H2 station last night New style H70 pumps
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2018 Spanish Grand Prix
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Tesla - facts behind the mirage
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: Mishimoto Catch Can - What For?
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Moto GP Spoiler
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: 2018 Indy 500
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: Spare Wheel Kit: Damaged Wheel
Join Discussion......
Photo Gallery - Some other cars from 2019 NYIAS
Read Article....................
TOV Video: 2019 Acura RDX Walk-around with LPL Steve Hansen
Read Article....................
TOV Photo Gallery: 2018 North American International Auto Show
Read Article....................
2018 Acura RLX PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
TOV First Drive: 2018 Honda Accord
Read Article....................
2018 Honda Accord Specifications and Features (FINAL)
Read Article....................

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
  TOV News > All-New 2014 Acura RLX Employs an Array of New Signature Acura Technologies to Deliver a New Level > > Re: Saw one tonight...

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1] 2
Author
    
DCR
Profile for DCR
Saw one tonight... [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-20-2013 22:34
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Well, saw two actually...on my way back from the rink I took a swing through the Acura dealer and they had two RLX there.

Impressions? Very underwhelming in person. The Jewel Eye lights stick out way too much and not in a good way. The whole front design is almost comical.

Overall, it looks like about a $35k car, tops, and they were only asking $55k for this one.


notyper
Profile for notyper
Re: Saw one tonight... [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-20-2013 22:41
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
As I said when I saw my first pre-pro model on the road in Torrance, it doesn't carry much road presence, at least in dark colors (the one I saw was black as well). Very good for blending in.

SC

DCR
Profile for DCR
Re: Saw one tonight... [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-20-2013 22:45
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
They had an Accord Sport in the showroom for some reason too.


longhorn
Profile for longhorn
Re: Saw one tonight... [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-21-2013 14:00
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
s I stated in another post-

There are alot of people who want a luxury car that starts every morning, have accessories that actually work, and only want to visit the dealership for an oil change and free car wash once a year

Styling is subjective, and it drives great for a FWD.

longhorn
Profile for longhorn
Re: Saw one tonight... [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-21-2013 14:03
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
DCR wrote:
They had an Accord Sport in the showroom for some reason too.




Its pretty easy to see the Accord platform hard points on the RLX, but engineers did a pretty good job inspite of it.

DCR
Profile for DCR
Re: Saw one tonight... [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-21-2013 14:40
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
longhorn wrote:
s I stated in another post-

There are alot of people who want a luxury car that starts every morning, have accessories that actually work, and only want to visit the dealership for an oil change and free car wash once a year

Styling is subjective, and it drives great for a FWD.



Those are the people who buy Lexus.


iahs2k
Profile for iahs2k
Re: Saw one tonight... [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-21-2013 16:42
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
FWD.....YUK. It looks like an accord....that alone means it can't compete with BMW or Audi. 55K for an accord? Honda is bonkers. chop 15 grand off the sticker and maybe it will sell. It's like Honda will do absolutely everything to avoid uping the ante to truly compete against BMW, Audi and Mercedes. The car needs a V8 or turbo 6 at the least and RWD. Finally, BORING style doesn't cut it these days. This car has fail written all over it just as the ILX does.
NealX
Profile for NealX
Re: Saw one tonight... [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-21-2013 21:06
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Actually, I was thinking that the way you photographed these makes them look a bit more intriguing!

"Epic" in a 2009 kinda way...

TeKNiC3
Profile for TeKNiC3
Re: Saw one tonight... [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-22-2013 00:44
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
iahs2k wrote:
FWD.....YUK. It looks like an accord....that alone means it can't compete with BMW or Audi. 55K for an accord? Honda is bonkers. chop 15 grand off the sticker and maybe it will sell. It's like Honda will do absolutely everything to avoid uping the ante to truly compete against BMW, Audi and Mercedes. The car needs a V8 or turbo 6 at the least and RWD. Finally, BORING style doesn't cut it these days. This car has fail written all over it just as the ILX does.


You complain about FWD....then state it can't compete with Audi because of it? What....?

DCR
Profile for DCR
Re: Saw one tonight... [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-22-2013 02:26
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
TeKNiC3 wrote:

You complain about FWD....then state it can't compete with Audi because of it? What....?



The Audi A6 with AWD starts in the mid-40's?

mobis21
Profile for mobis21
Re: Saw one tonight... [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-22-2013 07:25
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
TeKNiC3 wrote:
iahs2k wrote:
FWD.....YUK. It looks like an accord....that alone means it can't compete with BMW or Audi. 55K for an accord? Honda is bonkers. chop 15 grand off the sticker and maybe it will sell. It's like Honda will do absolutely everything to avoid uping the ante to truly compete against BMW, Audi and Mercedes. The car needs a V8 or turbo 6 at the least and RWD. Finally, BORING style doesn't cut it these days. This car has fail written all over it just as the ILX does.


You complain about FWD....then state it can't compete with Audi because of it? What....?



BUT, Audi is German....it has that magic German unicorn dust sprinkled on at the Factory.

mobis21
Profile for mobis21
Re: Saw one tonight... [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-22-2013 07:32
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
DCR wrote:
TeKNiC3 wrote:

You complain about FWD....then state it can't compete with Audi because of it? What....?



The Audi A6 with AWD starts in the mid-40's?



Yes, and it's no nicer than a Passat.
Being an Audi, EVERYTHING is optional. What a color other than appliance white....chaching.
Want heated seats $
Want a sunroof $
Want to hookup your iPod $
Want leather $
Want more than 4 cylinders $

Then it gets much more expensive than the RLX when you get the Audi with items a LUXURY car should have.

It's equipped more like your Subaru.

Torque
Profile for Torque
Re: Saw one tonight... [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-22-2013 10:10
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
mobis21 wrote:
DCR wrote:
TeKNiC3 wrote:

You complain about FWD....then state it can't compete with Audi because of it? What....?



The Audi A6 with AWD starts in the mid-40's?



Yes, and it's no nicer than a Passat.
Being an Audi, EVERYTHING is optional. What a color other than appliance white....chaching.
Want heated seats $
Want a sunroof $
Want to hookup your iPod $
Want leather $
Want more than 4 cylinders $

Then it gets much more expensive than the RLX when you get the Audi with items a LUXURY car should have.

It's equipped more like your Subaru.



You must never have been in an Audi A6 then. The interior alone is light years ahead of anything in a current production VW or Honda. Germans have always provided options for customization. That is their way, just like Acura offers a small amount of packages with very little customization.

Acura: At 60k you get a fully loaded FWD w/ PAWS RLX. eSW-AWD will be north of 70k.

At 60k for an Audi A6, you get 3.0 TFSI Prestige: Eight-speed Tiptronic automatic transmission with quattro all-wheel drive, then you can start adding whatever options you want but it does include the heated seats, sunroof, ipod hookup, and leather standard.

Pricing will never be the same between different marques. Neither will their options and packages.

The FWD RLX doesn't sound like such a value anymore, does it?

owequitit
Profile for owequitit
Re: Saw one tonight... [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-24-2013 14:07
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
DCR wrote:
Well, saw two actually...on my way back from the rink I took a swing through the Acura dealer and they had two RLX there.

Impressions? Very underwhelming in person. The Jewel Eye lights stick out way too much and not in a good way. The whole front design is almost comical.

Overall, it looks like about a $35k car, tops, and they were only asking $55k for this one.




Acura's initial wave must have been black and white. LOL.

My buddy took his 328i in for service yesterday, so I got a chance to check out the RLX in close proximity to its competitors (the Acura dealer is co-located with Benz, BMW, Audi, Jag/Land Rover, Bentley/Ferrari/Aston/Lambo and VW.

My thoughts are this:

1) The black one truely does not have a presence of any kind. To be fair, I think black diminishes the presence of all but a very few cars (and most exotics are also diminished by it). I think black hides a lot of the character detailing, which when dealing with a sedan, is a key element of making the 3 box design look good.

The white one looked slightly better than I expected. The front overhang doesn't look as bad in person because the slightly rounded nature of the front clip helps hide it some (which isn't shown in pictures). However, it still looks decidedly FWD, and the axle to dash ratio IMO looks worse than the front overhang.

Paint quality looked pretty good, and the styling in person was clean but fairly boring. The jewel eye's looked better in person than I expected, but I still can't help but feel they are a little bit gimmicky. I don't think they will age well stylistically. The back had heavy 7 series undertones, and even though the scalloping is reversed, that is still the first thing I think of when I see it.

I thought the wheels lent a nice stance to the car though, and largely avoided the "too small wheels in a too large wheel well" statement that has long been the norm for all Honda products. I am glad to see Honda gradually improving the stance of their vehicles. No better than the Germans, but at least not a glaring oversight either.

2) I like the interior styling. It seems functional, well tailored and basic enough to not be gimmicky or full of fads. However, I didn't think the materials or ambiance were as upscale as most of the competition. Audi still leads here, but I even feel BMW has made strides beyond Acura in this area (or Acura just isn't doing that well). The leather (or leatherette) didn't feel as good as the Germans, the leather wrapped wheel didn't feel as good, and the shifter "leather" still has the same synthetic "pleather" feel from the ILX and TL (and Accord for that matter). Door thunks were decent, but not class leading, and the more mechanical aspects of the interior (door handle pulls, arm rests, lid covers, etc didn't feel overwhelmingly better than anybody. Class average I guess. BMW and Merc doors feel more solid, and based on Honda/Acura history, the door thunks will decrease in solidity over time.

Interior room was good, although I thought the rear seat headroom was fairly tight. I also thought that some elements seemed like they were scaled to give the interior a larger feeling. The steering wheel for instance was very small diameter. I am OK with that, since I tend to like small wheels, but I thought it seemed slightly out of scale with the rest of the car. However, the layout of most of the controls was very clean, logical, and well done in typically Honda/Acura fashion. The center stack especially manages to combine a ton of functionality into a very clean and simple layout.

Overall, I came away from the car feeling that it was a nice piece, but it didn't give me any pause as to how it was better than the competition either. I would say solidly class average in most respects, but not overwhelming in any one aspect. Unfortunately, I don't know if that bodes well for the car, because I really think they needed a well above average product to get people into the showrooms and away from the more traditional luxury brands. Essentially, they needed something that would generate positive upward buzz, and I just don't feel this is the car that will do that. The AWD had a better chance, but in ~6 months, I just don't see it reversing the initial momentum.

*on an unrelated side note, we got a BMW X1 XDrive 2.8i as a loaner. While the N20 is a fairly responsive and potent little mill, it just is NOT an invigorating engine. And it seems like it dies quickly above about 6K. After getting back into my friends E92 328i, I miss BMW's inline sixes that much more.



owequitit
Profile for owequitit
Re: Saw one tonight... [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-24-2013 14:08
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
owequitit wrote:
DCR wrote:
Well, saw two actually...on my way back from the rink I took a swing through the Acura dealer and they had two RLX there.

Impressions? Very underwhelming in person. The Jewel Eye lights stick out way too much and not in a good way. The whole front design is almost comical.

Overall, it looks like about a $35k car, tops, and they were only asking $55k for this one.




Acura's initial wave must have been black and white. LOL.

My buddy took his 328i in for service yesterday, so I got a chance to check out the RLX in close proximity to its competitors (the Acura dealer is co-located with Benz, BMW, Audi, Jag/Land Rover, Bentley/Ferrari/Aston/Lambo and VW.

My thoughts are this:

1) The black one truely does not have a presence of any kind. To be fair, I think black diminishes the presence of all but a very few cars (and most exotics are also diminished by it). I think black hides a lot of the character detailing, which when dealing with a sedan, is a key element of making the 3 box design look good.

The white one looked slightly better than I expected. The front overhang doesn't look as bad in person because the slightly rounded nature of the front clip helps hide it some (which isn't shown in pictures). However, it still looks decidedly FWD, and the axle to dash ratio IMO looks worse than the front overhang.

Paint quality looked pretty good, and the styling in person was clean but fairly boring. The jewel eye's looked better in person than I expected, but I still can't help but feel they are a little bit gimmicky. I don't think they will age well stylistically. The back had heavy 7 series undertones, and even though the scalloping is reversed, that is still the first thing I think of when I see it.

I thought the wheels lent a nice stance to the car though, and largely avoided the "too small wheels in a too large wheel well" statement that has long been the norm for all Honda products. I am glad to see Honda gradually improving the stance of their vehicles. No better than the Germans, but at least not a glaring oversight either.

2) I like the interior styling. It seems functional, well tailored and basic enough to not be gimmicky or full of fads. However, I didn't think the materials or ambiance were as upscale as most of the competition. Audi still leads here, but I even feel BMW has made strides beyond Acura in this area (or Acura just isn't doing that well). The leather (or leatherette) didn't feel as good as the Germans, the leather wrapped wheel didn't feel as good, and the shifter "leather" still has the same synthetic "pleather" feel from the ILX and TL (and Accord for that matter). Door thunks were decent, but not class leading, and the more mechanical aspects of the interior (door handle pulls, arm rests, lid covers, etc didn't feel overwhelmingly better than anybody. Class average I guess. BMW and Merc doors feel more solid, and based on Honda/Acura history, the door thunks will decrease in solidity over time.

Interior room was good, although I thought the rear seat headroom was fairly tight. I also thought that some elements seemed like they were scaled to give the interior a larger feeling. The steering wheel for instance was very small diameter. I am OK with that, since I tend to like small wheels, but I thought it seemed slightly out of scale with the rest of the car. However, the layout of most of the controls was very clean, logical, and well done in typically Honda/Acura fashion. The center stack especially manages to combine a ton of functionality into a very clean and simple layout.

Overall, I came away from the car feeling that it was a nice piece, but it didn't give me any pause as to how it was better than the competition either. I would say solidly class average in most respects, but not overwhelming in any one aspect. Unfortunately, I don't know if that bodes well for the car, because I really think they needed a well above average product to get people into the showrooms and away from the more traditional luxury brands. Essentially, they needed something that would generate positive upward buzz, and I just don't feel this is the car that will do that. The AWD had a better chance, but in ~6 months, I just don't see it reversing the initial momentum.

*on an unrelated side note, we got a BMW X1 XDrive 2.8i as a loaner. While the N20 is a fairly responsive and potent little mill, it just is NOT an invigorating engine. And it seems like it dies quickly above about 6K. After getting back into my friends E92 328i, I miss BMW's inline sixes that much more.





P.S. The Krell speaker grills look ridiculous and tacky. It was even more prominent on the tan/taupe car I looked at.

Mikeydred
Profile for Mikeydred
Re: Saw one tonight... [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-24-2013 15:57
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
NealX wrote:
Actually, I was thinking that the way you photographed these makes them look a bit more intriguing!

"Epic" in a 2009 kinda way...


Neal I get the feeling the design is starting to grow on you!

sadlerau
Profile for sadlerau
Re: Saw one tonight... [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-24-2013 18:26
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Torque wrote:
You must never have been in an 2012 Audi A6 then. The interior alone is light years ahead of anything in a current production VW or Honda. Germans have always provided options for customization. That is their way, just like Acura offers a small amount of packages with very little customization.

Acura: At 60k you get a fully loaded FWD w/ PAWS RLX. eSW-AWD will be north of 70k.

At 60k for an Audi A6, you get 3.0 TFSI Prestige: Eight-speed Tiptronic automatic transmission with quattro all-wheel drive, then you can start adding whatever options you want but it does include the heated seats, sunroof, ipod hookup, and leather standard.

Pricing will never be the same between different marques. Neither will their options and packages.

The FWD RLX doesn't sound like such a value anymore, does it?



As the owner of an A6, yes the interior does look nice. But it isn't going to be better ergonomically than the RLX. I trust you will be able to read the switches at night, unlike the A6!! The red lighting in them makes it almost impossible to read at night for my 59 year old eyes :( Perhaps only young people should buy them?

The seats are less comfortable than my '06 Legend, but the quality is on a par. Finally the fit and finish leave a little bit to be desired - there is a stainless steel strip that runs along the top of the doors and sweeps across the top of the dash. Looks great, but in my car, the trim bits misalign at the door/dash interface by a few millimeters, not much, but enough for my "builders" eye to notice.

And if you think you can get a German car anywhere near the value of the Acura, for similar feature content, then you haven't shopped in that class. But the price difference isn't that important to the majority of shoppers in that price range anyway. If you're looking for the cachet driving the Germans bring, no amount of saving is going to entice you into an Acura I'm afraid to say.

S600=Dream
Profile for S600=Dream
Re: Saw one tonight... [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-24-2013 19:50
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
salerau, I really value your balanced opinion on here. Thank you for the counterpoint.

I think the RLX looks terrific. It's understated. That's what it is. You can also say it's bland, or boring, but I don't think that does it justice. It has character, if not presence. That might not necessarily fly in the luxury market by and large, but there's a number of folks out there who appreciate some subtlety, and will appreciate the value of the RLX compared to all the gaudy--what one might call them--luxury cars made today.

I'm in that camp. If I had the money, and was in that market, I'd buy an RLX. It seems like a great vehicle.


Torque
Profile for Torque
Re: Saw one tonight... [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-25-2013 09:53
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
sadlerau wrote:
Torque wrote:
You must never have been in an 2012 Audi A6 then. The interior alone is light years ahead of anything in a current production VW or Honda. Germans have always provided options for customization. That is their way, just like Acura offers a small amount of packages with very little customization.

Acura: At 60k you get a fully loaded FWD w/ PAWS RLX. eSW-AWD will be north of 70k.

At 60k for an Audi A6, you get 3.0 TFSI Prestige: Eight-speed Tiptronic automatic transmission with quattro all-wheel drive, then you can start adding whatever options you want but it does include the heated seats, sunroof, ipod hookup, and leather standard.

Pricing will never be the same between different marques. Neither will their options and packages.

The FWD RLX doesn't sound like such a value anymore, does it?



As the owner of an A6, yes the interior does look nice. But it isn't going to be better ergonomically than the RLX. I trust you will be able to read the switches at night, unlike the A6!! The red lighting in them makes it almost impossible to read at night for my 59 year old eyes :( Perhaps only young people should buy them?

The seats are less comfortable than my '06 Legend, but the quality is on a par. Finally the fit and finish leave a little bit to be desired - there is a stainless steel strip that runs along the top of the doors and sweeps across the top of the dash. Looks great, but in my car, the trim bits misalign at the door/dash interface by a few millimeters, not much, but enough for my "builders" eye to notice.

And if you think you can get a German car anywhere near the value of the Acura, for similar feature content, then you haven't shopped in that class. But the price difference isn't that important to the majority of shoppers in that price range anyway. If you're looking for the cachet driving the Germans bring, no amount of saving is going to entice you into an Acura I'm afraid to say.



I think you misread or at least misinterpreted what I wrote. Nobody, absolutely nobody looks to the Germans for value. My comparison based on price at 60k in the US will get you a better equipped new car in the Audi versus the Acura.

At least in the US, 60k for a FWD only car versus AWD is market suicide. Even with SH-AWD, the RL couldn't even muster 400 unit sales in an entire year. The new RLX simply does not feel like a 60k car. I went to the press only event for the Washington DC Auto show (full press pass) before it was open to the public and it looks like an upscale Accord. The fit and finish were good but not outstanding. But at 60k for a FWD only car, you can't look at the RLX and still claim it to be a value. Just like the ILX, Acura has eliminated the "value" angle they were known for and priced themselves out of gaining any appreciable market share.

Fortunately for you, at least your car came with AWD standard. As for me, I already own a Honda and an Acura. They have a tough market segment to crack here in the US.

integrator
Profile for integrator
Re: Saw one tonight... GHETTO FABULOUS! [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-25-2013 18:12
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
I saw one Sunday afternoon at the dealer. My impression was that the interior was very nice, clean lined, the materials seemed high quality, simple layout, but not luxury focused.

The exterior is plain, except theres A LOT OF BLING.

Overall, I'd say its ghetto fabulous for someone looking to trade up from their Nissan Maxima. But this wont steal any sales from the Germans or Japanese rivals (Lexus, Infiniti).

I think its DOA. Just my personal opinion.

ODY
Profile for ODY
Re: Saw one tonight... [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-25-2013 23:22
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
BLAH BLAH BLAH WHAT ARE U DOING IN HONDA ACURA FORUM.. GO TO VW OR AUDI FORUM TO TALK SH1T

DCR
Profile for DCR
Re: Saw one tonight... [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-26-2013 10:27
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
ODY wrote:
BLAH BLAH BLAH WHAT ARE U DOING IN HONDA ACURA FORUM.. GO TO VW OR AUDI FORUM TO TALK SH1T



Really?

sajicd
Profile for sajicd
Re: Saw one tonight... [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-26-2013 20:42
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Its a sad day when huyndai has an easier time selling luxury than acura. 800 equus / month and getting better!

http://english.yonhapnews.co.kr/business/2013/02/12/21/0501000000AEN20130212001700320F.HTML

I guess thats what 428 hp v8 and rwd and design with road presence can do.

Acuras approach to luxury is akin to a diamond jeweller offering a smart luxury artificial diamond ring with less shine and glitter. Unless you are a tree hugging vegan - you are going to be turned off

Just like Nick GravesX correctly pointed out - blatant pointless contrarianism. Sadly they cant even seem to know how to play that card either as toyota / prius / LSh have that market cornered

Maybe they can pitch to the third and fifth wheel demographic?
"Acura - Almost, but not quite"


Hondarulez
Profile for Hondarulez
Re: Saw one tonight... [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-27-2013 12:52
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
sajicd wrote:
Its a sad day when huyndai has an easier time selling luxury than acura. 800 equus / month and getting better!

http://english.yonhapnews.co.kr/business/2013/02/12/21/0501000000AEN20130212001700320F.HTML

I guess thats what 428 hp v8 and rwd and design with road presence can do.

Acuras approach to luxury is akin to a diamond jeweller offering a smart luxury artificial diamond ring with less shine and glitter. Unless you are a tree hugging vegan - you are going to be turned off

Just like Nick GravesX correctly pointed out - blatant pointless contrarianism. Sadly they cant even seem to know how to play that card either as toyota / prius / LSh have that market cornered

Maybe they can pitch to the third and fifth wheel demographic?
"Acura - Almost, but not quite"




Couple things.

1.) Marketing is important. Even though Hyundai has been caught lying about hp rating and fuel economy ratings, people still buy them. So, it doesn't matter than the Equus has the same acceleration performance as the 380hp LS460. As long as they tell you that there's 428hp, that's what people see.

2.) Some people don't mind knockoffs as long as the price is low. The Equus competes with the likes of LS, 7 series, S Class, etc. Those cars command a price of $80k+ (base models don't quite compete with the Equus in terms of features). The Equus starts at $59k. 5 series pricing, 7 series enjoyment.


NealX
Profile for NealX
Re: Saw one tonight... [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-27-2013 17:20
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Acura would do well to keep an eye out for the 2014 Genesis and Cadenza rather than the Equus.





sajicd wrote:
Its a sad day when huyndai has an easier time selling luxury than acura. 800 equus / month and getting better!





Last edited by NealX on 02-27-2013 17:51
TSX69
Profile for TSX69
Re: Saw one tonight... [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-27-2013 19:02
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
sajicd wrote:
Its a sad day when huyndai has an easier time selling luxury than acura. 800 equus / month and getting better!

http://english.yonhapnews.co.kr/business/2013/02/12/21/0501000000AEN20130212001700320F.HTML

Curious as to where this article got their info from bc Hyundai's press release says that they sold 252 units last month, not 797. From memory they usually sell ~300-400/month.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/hyundai-motor-america-reports-record-january-sales-189393101.html

dampflok
Profile for dampflok
Re: Saw one tonight... [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-27-2013 20:44
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
TSX69 wrote:
sajicd wrote:
Its a sad day when huyndai has an easier time selling luxury than acura. 800 equus / month and getting better!

http://english.yonhapnews.co.kr/business/2013/02/12/21/0501000000AEN20130212001700320F.HTML

Curious as to where this article got their info from bc Hyundai's press release says that they sold 252 units last month, not 797. From memory they usually sell ~300-400/month.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/hyundai-motor-america-reports-record-january-sales-189393101.html

It's simply a mix-up of two models by the Korean article.

Figures from the Korean article for January:
797 Equus
253 Grandeur (sold in the U.S. as the Azera)

Figures from Hyundai's release for January:
253 Equus
797 Azera


Honda-D
Profile for Honda-D
Re: Saw one tonight... [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-27-2013 21:51
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
The problem with Hyundai and Kia is that they get all the numbers right and the European styling can stand with Europe's best but they still have one of the worst driving dynamics in the class.

Korean to Japanese is like Japanese to Europeans.




Hondarulez
Profile for Hondarulez
Re: Saw one tonight... [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-28-2013 12:23
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Honda-D wrote:
The problem with Hyundai and Kia is that they get all the numbers right and the European styling can stand with Europe's best but they still have one of the worst driving dynamics in the class.

Korean to Japanese is like Japanese to Europeans.




In other words, most Korean cars have the right ingredients (at least on paper) but they need better fine tuning.

Honda-D
Profile for Honda-D
Re: Saw one tonight... [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-28-2013 14:24
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Hondarulez wrote:
In other words, most Korean cars have the right ingredients (at least on paper) but they need better fine tuning.


That's it.

Just look at the 2013 Rio.

1.6L DI good for 138HP. Light car. 6sp man/auto.

You would think it's a great car, nope. Got it for a rental, man, it's so frustrating to drive around.


 
Thread Page - [1] 2
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
30 mobile: 0