[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
American Honda Sets New June Sales Records on Strength of Light Trucks
More.......................
Honda reveals refreshed 2019 HR-V and Pilot
Acura TLX GT wins class and places 3rd overall at 2018 Pikes Peak International Hill Climb
Spied on the Street! 2019 Pilot and Pilot PHEV mule
All-New 2019 Honda Insight Brings Style, Sophistication and 55 mpg City Rating
It's Official: Honda to supply Red Bull Racing in Formula One from 2019
Will the next-gen TLX bring back double wishbones? Or a Plugin Hybrid model?
Acura tackles Pikes Peak with 2019 RDX, NSX, and TLX entries
Civic --> Re: 2017 Civic Si 360whp One Take
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda new teaser ad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Join Discussion......
ILX --> Re: 2019 ILX
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: Such a damn nice car
Join Discussion......
Civic --> 2001 Honda Civic non-vtec to vtec engine switch
Join Discussion......
Repair and Maintenance --> 2001 Honda Civic non-vtec to vtec engine switch
Join Discussion......
Repair and Maintenance --> 2001 Honda Civic non-vtec to vtec engine switch
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Re: Marauding Mirais
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: New RDX vs NX Infomercial
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: 2018 WC
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: MotoGP - Sachsenring TT (you should watch)
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Trying to decide on color
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> New H70 pumps freezing
Join Discussion......
Amateur Racing & Driving --> Re: Car recommendation for cheap track fun?
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: Just got a 2.0 Accord Touring
Join Discussion......
First Drive: 2019 Honda Insight
Read Article....................
2019 Honda Insight PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura RDX
2019 Acura RDX Features & Specifications
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX Advance
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX A-Spec

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
  TOV News > All-New 2014 Acura RLX Employs an Array of New Signature Acura Technologies to Deliver a New Level > > Re: Into the Shark Tank

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - 1 [2]
Author

A77
Profile for A77
Re: Into the Shark Tank [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-20-2013 13:49
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Andrew's comment re the airbags is so true. Only day before yesterday I had a terrible time explaining to a customer that the Accord does not have knee bag or rear side impact airbags as it does not need them. Other cars have them but still do worse in actual crash tests than the Honda does (eg Camry - far worse - and Cruze). Then I got the "surely the Honda would be safer still if it had these features"....then again she also asked why it only had one USB socket....which just proves that people are not always rational, and no matter how rational your argument for fewer air bags may be it's still could be an excuse for the customer not to buy.

And the looks thing - for all the reasons that the Accord is a better car than its predecessor, the main reason i reckon it is selling so much better (like 150% up in Canada, and at a higher rate than the last gen ever sold - even pre-recession) is that it looks so much better. And here I think the RLX fails. I reckon the Accord looks better - though I havent seen an RLX in person. Why else did the last gen TL sell so well - cos it looked awesome.

Henceforth I want all Hondas and Acura designs to be presented to a selection of TOV contributors who should be given the power of veto. Failing veto or (in the unlikely event of wholesale approval), for Neal to tweak the design accordingly. And for me to decide which bits inside should be shiny chrome and which bits not.

HONDA AFVM
Profile for HONDA AFVM
Re: Into the Shark Tank [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-20-2013 16:33
A77 wrote:
Andrew's comment re the airbags is so true. Only day before yesterday I had a terrible time explaining to a customer that the Accord does not have knee bag or rear side impact airbags as it does not need them. Other cars have them but still do worse in actual crash tests than the Honda does (eg Camry - far worse - and Cruze). Then I got the "surely the Honda would be safer still if it had these features"....then again she also asked why it only had one USB socket....which just proves that people are not always rational, and no matter how rational your argument for fewer air bags may be it's still could be an excuse for the customer not to buy.

And the looks thing - for all the reasons that the Accord is a better car than its predecessor, the main reason i reckon it is selling so much better (like 150% up in Canada, and at a higher rate than the last gen ever sold - even pre-recession) is that it looks so much better. And here I think the RLX fails. I reckon the Accord looks better - though I havent seen an RLX in person. Why else did the last gen TL sell so well - cos it looked awesome.

Henceforth I want all Hondas and Acura designs to be presented to a selection of TOV contributors who should be given the power of veto. Failing veto or (in the unlikely event of wholesale approval), for Neal to tweak the design accordingly. And for me to decide which bits inside should be shiny chrome and which bits not.

I sat in the RLX at the Detroit Auto Show.......It is a very nice unit. Classy, roomy and the interior is not Audi, MBenz or BMW flash, it is MUCH more user friendly......The car has a nice stance, sits well with little wheel gap.....

HONDA AFVM
Profile for HONDA AFVM
Re: Into the Shark Tank [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-20-2013 16:41
Colin wrote:
notyper wrote:
To be fair, the first gen RL was really pathetic. I drove one before we did the 2005 RL launch tour. The 2nd gen was worlds better. Maybe the first gen was a bit more comfy.

SC

If you 'ignore' the long service life of the chassis and only look at the 1st 5 years, they didn't do that bad. I believe it's Honda's 'frugalness' that has them running the cars for ~10 years, rendering the last 3-4 worthless.

I started with Acura in 1995 and our store had five 400+ day old Legends left over when the 3.5 RLs started rolling in. We sold a BUNCH of the original RLs. They were everything the Legend was not, and for buyers considering an LS400, it was an honest comparison. Of course, with time the LS evolved, the 300 hp GS came on line and the RL faded.

I distinctly remember an older sales guy talking to a Legend customer debating on RL vs LS for their next car. He said, "this s the luxury car you thought you were getting with the Legend" The RL was comfortable, quiet, easy steering and didn't scrape in every driveway and pull the undertray off.

Obviously these are not important attributes for people here, but there was a buyer for that car back then and as the LS got more and more expensive through the 90's the RL remained competitive before fading in the 2000's.

I would love to have a 2004 RL.....that was the year it looked the best, the options were great.....and it drives smooth and quite.....

TurkMan71
Profile for TurkMan71
Re: Into the Shark Tank [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-20-2013 21:10
HONDA AFVM wrote:
A77 wrote:

I sat in the RLX at the Detroit Auto Show.......It is a very nice unit. Classy, roomy and the interior is not Audi, MBenz or BMW flash, it is MUCH more user friendly......The car has a nice stance, sits well with little wheel gap.....

I sat in it at the Chicago show and I almost nodded off...zzzz...

...also the screens for the small speakers in the upper portion of the doors were all pushed/dented in...angry press people? This was before the general public got a chance to molest the car...

Thread Page - 1 [2]
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
29 mobile: 0