[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
This 2019 Acura RDX A-Spec is wearing an exclusive new shade of blue
More.......................
2019 Pilot gets upgraded with standard LED headlights and "Telematics"
Sources: 2019 HR-V adds Sport trim, loses 6MT option
All-new 2019 Acura RDX Makes Road Debut as Official Vehicle of Rally Cycling Alongside NSX Supercar
Clarity Electric still available for $199/month lease, but down payment has increased $600
Driving impressions: Hondata's FlashPro for the FK8 Civic Type R
American Honda Reports April Sales Results
Honda reveals Everus EV Concept at Beijing International Auto Show
NSX --> Re: 2020 NSX Type-R
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: Mishimoto Catch Can - What For?
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: My NSX video
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Re: Beat a Mirai to the H2 station last night New style H70 pumps
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Electricity Supplies tight in Calimestan
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: 2019 RDX Trim Levels
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: Any expected improvement in US Type R availability?
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Porsche Macan S weight distro: 56.7/43.3
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Drove the new Mazda 6 Signature with 2.5 Skyactiv Turbo today
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: RDX Production Starts
Join Discussion......
Clarity --> Re: Clarity PHEV Owner
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2018 Spanish Grand Prix - Testing
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Early Honda TV Ads
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Now it's getting worse WSJ: Tesla is in trouble
Join Discussion......
Classifieds: Buy & Sell --> GUG Racing Civic Titanium Shift Knob & Short Shifter For Sale
Join Discussion......
Photo Gallery - Some other cars from 2019 NYIAS
Read Article....................
TOV Video: 2019 Acura RDX Walk-around with LPL Steve Hansen
TOV Photo Gallery: 2018 North American International Auto Show
2018 Acura RLX PR Photo Gallery
TOV First Drive: 2018 Honda Accord
2018 Honda Accord Specifications and Features (FINAL)

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
  TOV News > All-New 2014 Acura RLX Employs an Array of New Signature Acura Technologies to Deliver a New Level > > Re: Wondering what the cancelled V8 RWD version would have looked like...

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1] 2
Author

TurkMan71
Profile for TurkMan71
Wondering what the cancelled V8 RWD version would have looked like... [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-17-2013 21:18
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Instead of this stop-gap compromise...
NealX
Profile for NealX
Re: Wondering what the cancelled V8 RWD version would have looked like... [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-17-2013 22:03
I'll try and make it easy:

sadlerau
Profile for sadlerau
Re: Wondering what the cancelled V8 RWD version would have looked like... [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-17-2013 22:16
Neal, I wonder what the FWD version would look like, if the front fender crease/line were to continue into the front door, or at least to in line with the base of the A pillar, before it started it's dip. You would also keep the gap to the line along the bottom of the windows. I reckon that would help the look of the car a lot?
NealX
Profile for NealX
Re: Wondering what the cancelled V8 RWD version would have looked like... [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-17-2013 22:34

Colin
Profile for Colin
Re: Wondering what the cancelled V8 RWD version would have looked like... [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-17-2013 22:51

TurkMan71
Profile for TurkMan71
Re: Wondering what the cancelled V8 RWD version would have looked like... [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-17-2013 23:32
Where is that picture of that extended wheelbase TSX mule?

Well, that sedan concept didn't improve with age that's for sure...I guess we should be grateful that Acura's beak didn't contort to a heart-shaped mess...

sadlerau
Profile for sadlerau
Re: Wondering what the cancelled V8 RWD version would have looked like... [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-17-2013 23:46
Neal wrote:

Now that is one car I could be happy with - especially if it was a Honda - FWD or not!

eneka
Profile for eneka
Re: Wondering what the cancelled V8 RWD version would have looked like... [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-18-2013 05:01
sadlerau wrote:
Neal wrote:

Now that is one car I could be happy with - especially if it was a Honda - FWD or not!

elongated tesla model s?

NealX
Profile for NealX
Re: Wondering what the cancelled V8 RWD version would have looked like... [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-18-2013 08:31
Looking back, I think I would have preferred some sort of "production-ready" version of this. It certainly looks ready for 2015.
Colin wrote:

TSX69
Profile for TSX69
Re: Wondering what the cancelled V8 RWD version would have looked like... [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-18-2013 09:00
TurkMan71 wrote:

http://www.leftlanenews.com/acura-rl-future.html

Hondatalover
Profile for Hondatalover
Re: Wondering what the cancelled V8 RWD version would have looked like... [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-18-2013 09:23
TSX69 wrote:
TurkMan71 wrote:

CB77
Profile for CB77
Re: Wondering what the cancelled V8 RWD version would have looked like... [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-18-2013 10:15
LeftLaneNews says:

"The RLX is a very good car that might be let down by its badge. Acura simply doesn't have the cachet of brands like BMW and Mercedes, and that could hurt the RLX's sales, no matter how comfortable, quite and competent it might be.

But if you're willing to forgo the status associated with the blue-and-white roundel or the three-pointed star, the RLX is a pleasant surprise just waiting to be discovered."

This is really getting sad to watch. If Acura would have gone ahead in the ‘90s and attained true Tier 1 status (as they could have) with V8s in the Legend, continuing to evolve the NSX, not screwing up the TL, etc., etc. …they would now have the necessary cachet to help them successfully market this new RLX.

The irony is that now, just as the Tier 1 market is starting to evolve toward a 6 cylinder engine being “OK” in certain models in this segment, Acura has fumbled this whole V6-V8 topic so badly, that even now when they may have a really good car (if you can squint your eyes and get past the appearance) the RLX may be as doomed at the RL was. Thanks to this yawning “cachet-gap”. And I don't see a clear path for them to fix this. Can the NSX really repair this years-old problem? Seems unlikely. They will remain the geeky guy with Woody Allen glasses that can't get a date with the pretty cheerleader.

Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: Wondering what the cancelled V8 RWD version would have looked like... [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-18-2013 12:07
Neal wrote:
Looking back, I think I would have preferred some sort of "production-ready" version of this. It certainly looks ready for 2015.
Colin wrote:

Sorry, but even now, everything about that is just wrong.

About the closest to it was the (outgoing) MDX and that only worked by accident.

TBH, the stretched-TSX mule looked the best solution; even if it again liked like a big EuroAccord, the proportions rescued it. The surfacing, again, would not have been premium enough.

owequitit
Profile for owequitit
Re: Wondering what the cancelled V8 RWD version would have looked like... [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-18-2013 18:04
Hondatalover wrote:
TSX69 wrote:
TurkMan71 wrote:

This looks SOOO much better. Amazing how such a small change can take a car from looking like an Accord based excercise and turn it into a true flagship.

Of course, with RWD there would have been no argument. As for V8's, I would have been fine with a nicely boosted (preferably via supercharger) V6. However, a V8 option would have been easy should the need have arrived.

TurkMan71
Profile for TurkMan71
Re: Wondering what the cancelled V8 RWD version would have looked like... [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-18-2013 20:10
All of the Acuras above: concept, stretched mule, photoshopped RLX...

Look better...

BUT

It still has no real presence (with exception of the concept, which is HIDEOUS!)

owequitit
Profile for owequitit
Re: Wondering what the cancelled V8 RWD version would have looked like... [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-18-2013 20:27
TurkMan71 wrote:

Look better...

BUT

It still has no real presence (with exception of the concept, which is HIDEOUS!)

Personally, I have never been a huge fan of cars that have "presence" as I think you are using it. Historically, German cars don't have a lot of ground breaking "presence" but they look good. I have absolutely no problem with clean, evolutionary, and basic as long as the overall effect is good. This is partly because I am not trendy and partly because I tend to keep cars a long time and distinctive, ground breaking styling tends to not age very well.

If the RLX had better proportioning, I wouldn't really have any complaints. Acura actually did a good job (for Acura) of stancing this car correctly, which really was my biggest complaint. Well that and the FWD proportions which clearly aren't going away.

IMO, even longitudinal FWD would have transformed the look of this car.

TurkMan71
Profile for TurkMan71
Re: Wondering what the cancelled V8 RWD version would have looked like... [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-18-2013 21:20
owequitit wrote:
TurkMan71 wrote:

Look better...

BUT

Personally, I have never been a huge fan of cars that have "presence" as I think you are using it. Historically, German cars don't have a lot of ground breaking "presence" but they look good. I have absolutely no problem with clean, evolutionary, and basic as long as the overall effect is good. This is partly because I am not trendy and partly because I tend to keep cars a long time and distinctive, ground breaking styling tends to not age very well.

If the RLX had better proportioning, I wouldn't really have any complaints. Acura actually did a good job (for Acura) of stancing this car correctly, which really was my biggest complaint. Well that and the FWD proportions which clearly aren't going away.

Presence and timeless design are not mutually exclusive, if you're lucky and you do it right, they should go hand-in-hand.

To some extent for what it was, the 2nd gen Legend with longitudinal FWD, had more presence then this RLX. So yes I agree the axis-to-dash ratio helps but it also had a certain something that helped it stand out...

As for going 'clean, evolutionary, and basic'...it helps that the previous iteration was good and distinct to start with...

All I really see in the stretched RLX photochops is a
Honda-fied Hyundai Genesis, but more awkward with the surfacing and details. You need to cultivate more in your brand design language than just slapping an Acura beak on any ol' generic/slightly awkward car, right? So it's still no good imho...

notyper
Profile for notyper
Re: Wondering what the cancelled V8 RWD version would have looked like... [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-18-2013 21:49
All they really had to do was keep evolving the Alfa/wedge design language of the 1st gen TSX and 3rd gen TL. Those were styling winners, even with the hinderance of the transverse FWD setup.

SC

Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: Wondering what the cancelled V8 RWD version would have looked like... [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-19-2013 11:29
notyper wrote:
All they really had to do was keep evolving the Alfa/wedge design language of the 1st gen TSX and 3rd gen TL. Those were styling winners, even with the hinderance of the transverse FWD setup.

SC

I agree - a lovely looking EuroAccord which sold well here, too.

I think the problem with that though is it was an Alfa with some very DC2/DC5-esque sharp cuts around the lights. And we know what Hondura thinks of the RiceBoy2 and 5...I suppose they don't think much of Alfa, therefore, either.

dampflok
Profile for dampflok
Re: Wondering what the cancelled V8 RWD version would have looked like... [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-20-2013 00:05
owequitit wrote:

Sorry to quibble, but it's not that "even" longitudinal FWD would have transformed the look. Going to a longitudinal layout, whether FWD or RWD, would have been the single most important factor in improving the styling.

dampflok
Profile for dampflok
Re: Wondering what the cancelled V8 RWD version would have looked like... [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-20-2013 00:36
Nick Graves wrote:
TBH, the stretched-TSX mule looked the best solution; even if it again liked like a big EuroAccord, the proportions rescued it.
Exactly. The proportions are the foundation. Starting with good basic proportions is no guarantee a car's overall styling will turn out well in the end, but it's certainly preferable to starting off on the wrong foot with FF-T (T=transverse).

owequitit
Profile for owequitit
Re: Wondering what the cancelled V8 RWD version would have looked like... [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-21-2013 00:57
dampflok wrote:
owequitit wrote:

Sorry to quibble, but it's not that "even" longitudinal FWD would have transformed the look. Going to a longitudinal layout, whether FWD or RWD, would have been the single most important factor in improving the styling.

Not to quibble, but you are largely incorrect.

With a pure RWD powertrain, the engine can be placed further back by an extra 5-6" because the differential for the front wheels doesn't have to be considered.

On a longitudinal FWD setup, the powertrain still sits partly in front of the axle center-line, because the engine has to sit far enough forward for the differential to be put in line with the axle. If you compare an Audi to a BMW, you will see that although the Audi has better overhang than a transverse FWD car, it is not as good as a fully RWD platform. If you open the hood, you will also notice that more of the powertrain sits ahead of the front axle line.

The was also true of the 2nd gen Legend/1st Gen RL/1st gen TL/Vigor where Honda was even exotic enough to run the axle through the oil pan so they could maximize the rearward placement of the engine (which is essentially what Audi has done with their latest platforms). However, one advantage to those cars not having as much apparent overhang was the reduced crash structure requirements back then. With modern requirements an Acura with such a setup would look much like an Audi does. Better than what we have for sure, but not as good a pure RWD setup with the engine an additional 5-6" further back.

So, really, my original statement stands. Pure RWD > Longitudinal FWD > Transverse FWD. This is from a styling standpoint.

**Also note that longitudinal FWD is also no guarantee of good styling proportion. Chrysler's LH based cars (Intrepid, LHS, Concorde, 300M) all had longitudinal powertrains AND massive overhang. This was because they didn't do anything to move the engine back further in the chassis like Audi has done and Acura did with the 2nd gen Legend and Vigor. The old Audi models also had longitudinal powertrains with massive overhang because the engine was hung out in front of the wheels (which is the root cause of the styling problem with most FWD setups).

dampflok
Profile for dampflok
Re: Wondering what the cancelled V8 RWD version would have looked like... [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-21-2013 02:32
owequitit wrote:
Not to quibble, but you are largely incorrect.
Actually, no, I'm largely correct, except that I should clarify my position: The single most important thing Honda could have done to improve the styling was switch to a longitudinal engine layout, whether FWD or RWD, that significantly increased the axle-to-dash. That would have substantially boosted the basic proportions, and thus the foundation of the car's looks.

If Honda had gone with FF-L, I doubt they would have hung the engine out in front of the axle à la Audi, because they wouldn't have needed to accommodate Audi's unique quattro system. It's more likely that Honda would have gone with a layout similar to that of the "2nd gen Legend/1st Gen RL/1st gen TL/Vigor," as you put it. By the way, it's my understanding that even the newest Audis with "true" quattro still have the entire block sitting ahead of the axle. It's just that the differential is now in front of the clutch, instead of vice versa. At any rate, even if an FF-L RLX had an axle-to-dash no better than that of a current Audi, it would still be a significant improvement over the car's current proportions. So in the end, I don't think we really disagree.

So, really, my original statement stands. Pure RWD > Longitudinal FWD > Transverse FWD. This is from a styling standpoint.
Your statement could use a clarification similar to the one I added to mine. Your own examples (the old Audis, the Chrysler LH cars) show that FF-L doesn't necessarily result in better proportions. Thus, stated more accurately: Pure RWD > Longitudinal FWD with increased axle-to-dash > Transverse FWD. Again, ultimately I think we're in agreement.

CB77
Profile for CB77
Re: Wondering what the cancelled V8 RWD version would have looked like... [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-21-2013 09:18
CB77 wrote:

"The irony is that now, just as the Tier 1 market is starting to evolve toward a 6 cylinder engine being “OK” in certain models in this segment, Acura has fumbled this whole V6-V8 topic so badly, that even now when they may have a really good car (if you can squint your eyes and get past the appearance) the RLX may be as doomed at the RL was. Thanks to this yawning “cachet-gap”. And I don't see a clear path for them to fix this. Can the NSX really repair this years-old problem? Seems unlikely. They will remain the geeky guy with Woody Allen glasses that can't get a date with the pretty cheerleader."

I understand that Woody is pissed because now everyone is starting to wear his trademarked nerd glasses...thereby diluting his brand. I hear that he is considering switching to John Lennon wire-rimmed glasses.

FiSH-Chan
Profile for FiSH-Chan
Re: Wondering what the cancelled V8 RWD version would have looked like... [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-21-2013 20:53
Hondatalover wrote:

Really like how these look! And they are just some small tweaks from the current car..

FiSH-Chan
Profile for FiSH-Chan
Re: Wondering what the cancelled V8 RWD version would have looked like... [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-21-2013 20:57
Sorry I messed up the thread
FiSH-Chan
Profile for FiSH-Chan
Re: Wondering what the cancelled V8 RWD version would have looked like... [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-21-2013 23:33
And btw can someone photoshop the NSX headlight-style LEDs into the RLX headlights housing to see what it looks like?
BachelorFrog
Profile for BachelorFrog
Re: Wondering what the cancelled V8 RWD version would have looked like... [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-21-2013 23:47
Colin wrote:

Can someone photoshop this V-sheild grill on RLX and ILX?

Thanks.

DCR
Profile for DCR
Re: Wondering what the cancelled V8 RWD version would have looked like... [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-22-2013 00:37
No way in hell on that grille, but here is a quick chop of the headlight.

FiSH-Chan
Profile for FiSH-Chan
Re: Wondering what the cancelled V8 RWD version would have looked like... [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-22-2013 05:15
DCR wrote:
No way in hell on that grille, but here is a quick chop of the headlight.

Thanks for that.

Hmm, the result is not what i expected, but I think I prefer it over the jewel lights. What do others think?

Thread Page - [1] 2
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
29 mobile: 0