[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
This 2019 Acura RDX A-Spec is wearing an exclusive new shade of blue
More.......................
2019 Pilot gets upgraded with standard LED headlights and "Telematics"
Sources: 2019 HR-V adds Sport trim, loses 6MT option
All-new 2019 Acura RDX Makes Road Debut as Official Vehicle of Rally Cycling Alongside NSX Supercar
Clarity Electric still available for $199/month lease, but down payment has increased $600
Driving impressions: Hondata's FlashPro for the FK8 Civic Type R
American Honda Reports April Sales Results
Honda reveals Everus EV Concept at Beijing International Auto Show
RDX --> Re: 2019 RDX pricing?
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Important Message
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Indy 500
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: The Fine Tradition of English Goalkeeping
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Harley's Demise
Join Discussion......
Sales Experiences --> Re: Questions regarding: lease, then buy option
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Is a G1 NSX w/4AT worth the huge price break?
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Monaco
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2018 Monaco Grand Prix - Spoilers
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Tesla - facts behind the mirage
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Acura-when marketing went adrift
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: 3rd Generation Acura RDX Reviews
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda S660 Modulo X
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Mobileye claims their system detected the pedestrian, even with the crappy Uber video as input
Join Discussion......
Integra --> Re: 95 GSR DYNO
Join Discussion......
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX Advance
Read Article....................
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX A-Spec
Photo Gallery - Some other cars from 2019 NYIAS
TOV Video: 2019 Acura RDX Walk-around with LPL Steve Hansen
TOV Photo Gallery: 2018 North American International Auto Show
2018 Acura RLX PR Photo Gallery

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
  TOV News > All-New 2014 Acura RLX Employs an Array of New Signature Acura Technologies to Deliver a New Level > > Re: Test drove an RLX Advance today

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author

aberabee
Profile for aberabee
Test drove an RLX Advance today [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-15-2013 14:19
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Overall, I was pretty impressed!

Loved:
-Jewel Eye headlights. They were striking and brighter than I expected during the day.
-Road noise. It was much quieter than expected. I guess all the extra insulation helped.
-Ride comfort. Extremely smooth. I didn't push it too hard on the street but it didn't roll as much as the E-Class.
-Interior quality. The leather stitched dash was awesome. The materials felt very upscale and right on par with the BMW and Mercedes I saw over the weekend.
-Technology. This was almost overwhelming with the Advance package. Between the touch screen and all the safety systems, even a tech guy like me felt saturated. I could have played with the car for hours. My favorite was the Adaptive Cruise Control with low speed follow. It was extremely difficult to trust the car to brake itself and come to a complete stop, but I'll be damned if it didn't. Plus it started right back up when you tap the gas. This would be a major boon in traffic.
-Lack of torque steer. I was wondering how this would turn out. I didn't feel any noticeable torque steer during my six mile test drive.
-Backseat legroom. Holy crap. There was a party in the back seat. The room reminded me of the Equus or a long wheelbase German car.

Didn't Love:
-Orange peel paint. How is this possible when the previous RL looked so good? Has Japan gone soft?
-Lane Departure Warning. Kept beeping at me when I made moves. I should use my turn signal more but I just turned it off.
-Wheels. They look exactly the same as previous gen.
-Lack of side view camera. This is my biggest beef. How can the Accord have such a cool feature without putting it on the flagship Acura???

I feel like there is so much more to say...If you guys have any questions about the car I'll be happy to share what I remember.

NealX
Profile for NealX
Re: Test drove an RLX Advance today [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-15-2013 15:16
The paint quality was something I noted on the Detroit car.

On the wheels, they have a special harmonic quality introduced last year on the RL (good!) - they carried over as-is to the RLX (bad!).

rocky
Profile for rocky
Re: Test drove an RLX Advance today [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-15-2013 18:43
Honda Paint quality is far below the standards of others. Its one of the things that bugs me.

Suppose it really just confirms that Honda has allowed certain standards to slip.

ding
Profile for ding
Re: Test drove an RLX Advance today [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-15-2013 18:58
rocky wrote:
Honda Paint quality is far below the standards of others. Its one of the things that bugs me.

Suppose it really just confirms that Honda has allowed certain standards to slip.

Yes, Not to pick on the RL my 13 orchid white Accord has a milky kind of orange peel paint compared to my satin white 10 Subaru which has less orange peel and better luster

RHalabi
Profile for RHalabi
Re: Test drove an RLX Advance today [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-15-2013 19:04
This is true. My white hondas are ok but i notice the flaws. I believe Honda still uses their late 80's to early 90's painting systems. Should get a big update in the next 5-10 years. honda works slowly.

But the good news is we are due for a honda sports car soon. S3000 in the next 10 years for sure! Get EXCITED!

TurkMan71
Profile for TurkMan71
Re: Test drove an RLX Advance today [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-15-2013 21:26
Neal wrote:
The paint quality was something I noted on the Detroit car.

On the wheels, they have a special harmonic quality introduced last year on the RL (good!) - they carried over as-is to the RLX (bad!).

I've been staring at RL/RLX pics side-by-side and the wheels are remarkably similar looks-wise but I think there is a difference...I could be wrong though...

NickDC5
Profile for NickDC5
Re: Test drove an RLX Advance today [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-15-2013 21:38
My nighthawk black pearl RSX-S had impeccable paint quality imo.

Meanwhile my 370Z has factory orange peel on the bottom of the passenger door....

Honda>Nissan

CivicB18
Profile for CivicB18
Re: Test drove an RLX Advance today [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-15-2013 22:24
I really don't think the paint itself is of low quality. What I do think is that Honda just doesn't apply enough paint/clear to the surface.

~Patrick

HondaJet
Profile for HondaJet
Re: Test drove an RLX Advance today [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-16-2013 00:21
What is orange peel?

traumeri
Profile for traumeri
Re: Test drove an RLX Advance today [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-16-2013 02:17
It better be as quiet as the luxury competition, I don't understand why Acura keeps touting high-end audio systems when they neglect to insulate against ambient noise.
klui_188
Profile for klui_188
Re: Test drove an RLX Advance today [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-16-2013 03:14
HondaJet wrote:
What is orange peel?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orange_peel_%28effect%29

eneka
Profile for eneka
Re: Test drove an RLX Advance today [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-16-2013 07:59
BMWs are notorious for the orange peel quality of their paint too..
cksi1372
Profile for cksi1372
Re: Test drove an RLX Advance today [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-16-2013 11:03
eneka wrote:
BMWs are notorious for the orange peel quality of their paint too..

I will attest to that...my 2011 black 335 has an "orange peel" look/quality to it. You can probably thank the eco-nannies for this, as I hear it has to do with a more "green" way of painting vehicles.

aberabee
Profile for aberabee
Re: Test drove an RLX Advance today [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-16-2013 13:42
What bugs me the most about it is how good the paint was on the previous RL. I remember reading somewhere about how it was hand sanded or something...basically saying they spent more time on the quality of it, and it showed. No orange peel whatsoever. To take a step backwards doesn't make sense to me.
Colin
Profile for Colin
Re: Test drove an RLX Advance today [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-16-2013 13:45
aberabee wrote:
What bugs me the most about it is how good the paint was on the previous RL. I remember reading somewhere about how it was hand sanded or something...basically saying they spent more time on the quality of it, and it showed. No orange peel whatsoever. To take a step backwards doesn't make sense to me.

Hand sanded primer coat, not finish coat.

Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: Test drove an RLX Advance today [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-16-2013 16:03
Colin wrote:
aberabee wrote:

Hand sanded primer coat, not finish coat.

There were two layers of clearcoat on the olf one, which probably allowed them to flat it back more.

Thread Page - [1]
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
30 mobile: 0