[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
This 2019 Acura RDX A-Spec is wearing an exclusive new shade of blue
More.......................
2019 Pilot gets upgraded with standard LED headlights and "Telematics"
Sources: 2019 HR-V adds Sport trim, loses 6MT option
All-new 2019 Acura RDX Makes Road Debut as Official Vehicle of Rally Cycling Alongside NSX Supercar
Clarity Electric still available for $199/month lease, but down payment has increased $600
Driving impressions: Hondata's FlashPro for the FK8 Civic Type R
American Honda Reports April Sales Results
Honda reveals Everus EV Concept at Beijing International Auto Show
RDX --> Re: 2019 RDX pricing?
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Important Message
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Indy 500
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: The Fine Tradition of English Goalkeeping
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Harley's Demise
Join Discussion......
Sales Experiences --> Re: Questions regarding: lease, then buy option
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Is a G1 NSX w/4AT worth the huge price break?
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Monaco
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2018 Monaco Grand Prix - Spoilers
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Tesla - facts behind the mirage
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Acura-when marketing went adrift
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: 3rd Generation Acura RDX Reviews
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda S660 Modulo X
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Mobileye claims their system detected the pedestrian, even with the crappy Uber video as input
Join Discussion......
Integra --> Re: 95 GSR DYNO
Join Discussion......
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX Advance
Read Article....................
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX A-Spec
Photo Gallery - Some other cars from 2019 NYIAS
TOV Video: 2019 Acura RDX Walk-around with LPL Steve Hansen
TOV Photo Gallery: 2018 North American International Auto Show
2018 Acura RLX PR Photo Gallery

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
  TOV News > All-New 2014 Acura RLX Employs an Array of New Signature Acura Technologies to Deliver a New Level > > Re: Into the Shark Tank

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1] 2
Author

superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Into the Shark Tank [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-16-2013 02:51
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
The RLX has been lowered into the shark tank.
Will the technological goodies do the trick and sway euro-buyers into Acura showrooms?
Will the almost-invisible styling do the trick for the style conscious?
Will the FWD lineage be accepted?
The RLX is a good car, but in the $60K range you better be damned good!

The Legend
Profile for The Legend
Re: Into the Shark Tank [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-16-2013 03:37
superchg2 wrote:
The RLX has been lowered into the shark tank.
Will the technological goodies do the trick and sway euro-buyers into Acura showrooms?
Will the almost-invisible styling do the trick for the style conscious?
Will the FWD lineage be accepted?
The RLX is a good car, but in the $60K range you better be damned good!

Honda start using heavy and deeper paint worthy of a flagship!

There are some people in the press reporting having "orange peel" effect on the car paint.

Paul M.
Profile for Paul M.
Re: Into the Shark Tank [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-16-2013 10:45
With all those tech goodies, it's strange that they've missed some of the basics. For example, $49,000 doesn't buy a navigation system or real leather. And $60,000 doesn't buy real wood or rear side airbags.

I know it's not fair to judge a car based on specs alone. But these are the kinds of things that are very easy for consumers to understand. Any salesman or journalist can say, 'Even a Yaris has 9 airbags, a Chevy Cruze has 10.' And it goes straight to Acura's problem of not being perceived as a real luxury car.

Sometimes I wonder about the people who make these decisions at Honda.

Mikeydred
Profile for Mikeydred
Re: Into the Shark Tank [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-16-2013 21:41
The amount of air bags is useless if the body of the car will not handle the impact. The RLX is a lock to ace all crash test so I don't think anyone will be counting air bags to compare and it does have rear side curtain air bags.
eneka
Profile for eneka
Re: Into the Shark Tank [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-17-2013 05:19
Paul M. wrote:
With all those tech goodies, it's strange that they've missed some of the basics. For example, $49,000 doesn't buy a navigation system or real leather. And $60,000 doesn't buy real wood or rear side airbags.

I know it's not fair to judge a car based on specs alone. But these are the kinds of things that are very easy for consumers to understand. Any salesman or journalist can say, 'Even a Yaris has 9 airbags, a Chevy Cruze has 10.' And it goes straight to Acura's problem of not being perceived as a real luxury car.

A $50,000 528i doesn't get you leather or navigation either. Not to mention metallic paint is extra as well.

The RLX with the advance package is $60k Msrp. a comparable 535i is around $76k.

Paul M.
Profile for Paul M.
Re: Into the Shark Tank [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-17-2013 08:44
True enough. Although I'd say that because Acura is making a value play in this market, missing items like navigation are more of an issue than it is for other brands.

It's unfair, but a BMW is a BMW and an Acura is an Acura. One of those is accepted as a luxury brand, the other is trying to win acceptance. So who needs to bring all the features you can get in any midsize sedan?

I'm puzzled in general by the five trim levels offered. And this is only the FWD car. I bet we'll see some consolidation sooner rather than later.

Mikeydred
Profile for Mikeydred
Re: Into the Shark Tank [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-17-2013 10:42
The 2nd generation rl debuted with nav standard and ppl thought it was too expensive.
HONDA AFVM
Profile for HONDA AFVM
Re: Into the Shark Tank [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-17-2013 10:55
Paul M. wrote:

That is something I can agree on........NOTHING worse then Toyota Sienna glossy wood........in a car that is supposed to be a Flag ship.........Good point outs.......

HONDA AFVM
Profile for HONDA AFVM
Re: Into the Shark Tank [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-17-2013 11:11
Mikeydred wrote:
The amount of air bags is useless if the body of the car will not handle the impact. The RLX is a lock to ace all crash test so I don't think anyone will be counting air bags to compare and it does have rear side curtain air bags.

You always want to be as close to "21" in a game of black jack.......If I am a Lexus sales person this is what my come back would be.........

Customer; I really like the RLX, I think I am going to go the Acura way.......The GS is a nice car, but that RLX really gets great fuel economy and I like the Hybrid factor.....of 30mpg in the city as well as the hwy.....

Sales person; I understand, but let me ask you this; Is safety a big factor for you?

Customer, ABSOLUTELY!!

Sales Person; Do you have passengers in the back seat?

Customer; I do, I am a realtor and I take my customers to showings in my car.

Sales person: So, the fact that YOUR customers are LESS SAFE in the Acura because it doesn't even OFFER side rear seat air bags.......would you want to take that chance........It looks to be a great car, BUT, but if they forgot the side air bag, WHAT else did they forget?

Great_Tubimi
Profile for Great_Tubimi
Re: Into the Shark Tank [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-17-2013 11:29
HONDA AFVM wrote:
Paul M. wrote:

That is something I can agree on........NOTHING worse then Toyota Sienna glossy wood........in a car that is supposed to be a Flag ship.........Good point outs.......

I think the most disturbing part of all of this is the possibility that Honda is paying relatively the same amount as real luxury companies to have the Acura brand perceived as luxurious, without seeing the results.

"Features lists" are only a small part of being luxurious, yet Honda chooses to ignore this time after time. I'd venture to say that the Acura design studio is probably the worst investment the company has made. It becomes a problem when quality is the ONLY reputable thing that a LUXURY brand has going for it after 20+ years. Why is is so difficult to get some styling points after all this time? It just seems weird and alienating at this point.

Women don't buy expensive handbags because they have the most zippers, pockets, and overall utility. Men don't buy expensive watches because of how many meters they can dive with it and how many miniature faces they can set on it. The first thing that captures the attention is STYLE. It's just one of those things you simply can't quantify, while Acura seems to be very much "by the numbers."

I say that to say this: I really think less people would be concerned over things like leather vs 'rette if they were already wowed by the exterior. I think people see the car and say "ok... nothing horrible" (or "I'm not completely repulsed by the grille nowadays" ) and they talk themselves into checking it out. Then they start to nitpick because they weren't DRAWN to it.

A top priority for Acura brass should to to never see the sentiment of "pictures don't do it justice" again. Pictures HAVE to do a luxury car justice. Otherwise it's just a difficult, and unnecessary, uphill battle right out of the gate.

HONDA AFVM
Profile for HONDA AFVM
Re: Into the Shark Tank [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-17-2013 12:56
Great_Tubimi wrote:
HONDA AFVM wrote:
Paul M. wrote:

I think the most disturbing part of all of this is the possibility that Honda is paying relatively the same amount as real luxury companies to have the Acura brand perceived as luxurious, without seeing the results.

"Features lists" are only a small part of being luxurious, yet Honda chooses to ignore this time after time. I'd venture to say that the Acura design studio is probably the worst investment the company has made. It becomes a problem when quality is the ONLY reputable thing that a LUXURY brand has going for it after 20+ years. Why is is so difficult to get some styling points after all this time? It just seems weird and alienating at this point.

Women don't buy expensive handbags because they have the most zippers, pockets, and overall utility. Men don't buy expensive watches because of how many meters they can dive with it and how many miniature faces they can set on it. The first thing that captures the attention is STYLE. It's just one of those things you simply can't quantify, while Acura seems to be very much "by the numbers."

I say that to say this: I really think less people would be concerned over things like leather vs 'rette if they were already wowed by the exterior. I think people see the car and say "ok... nothing horrible" (or "I'm not completely repulsed by the grille nowadays" ) and they talk themselves into checking it out. Then they start to nitpick because they weren't DRAWN to it.

A top priority for Acura brass should to to never see the sentiment of "pictures don't do it justice" again. Pictures HAVE to do a luxury car justice. Otherwise it's just a difficult, and unnecessary, uphill battle right out of the gate.

Very well said...........

TurkMan71
Profile for TurkMan71
Re: Into the Shark Tank [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-17-2013 13:25
HONDA AFVM wrote:
Great_Tubimi wrote:
HONDA AFVM wrote:
Paul M. wrote:

VERY VERY well said, and Andrew, I'm glad you agree - next time you go to Torrance bring a copy of the above...

NealX
Profile for NealX
Re: Into the Shark Tank [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-17-2013 13:33
HONDA AFVM wrote:
Mikeydred wrote:

You always want to be as close to "21" in a game of black jack.......If I am a Lexus sales person this is what my come back would be.........

Customer; I really like the RLX, I think I am going to go the Acura way.......The GS is a nice car, but that RLX really gets great fuel economy and I like the Hybrid factor.....of 30mpg in the city as well as the hwy.....

Sales person; I understand, but let me ask you this; Is safety a big factor for you?

Customer, ABSOLUTELY!!

Sales person: So, the fact that YOUR customers are LESS SAFE in the Acura because it doesn't even OFFER side rear seat air bags.......would you want to take that chance........It looks to be a great car, BUT, but if they forgot the side air bag, WHAT else did they forget?

Ooooh. You are so evil (but true!).
;-)

NealX
Profile for NealX
Re: Into the Shark Tank [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-17-2013 13:37
Great_Tubimi wrote:
HONDA AFVM wrote:
Paul M. wrote:

Yep - you got it! And like I said elsewhere, "Acura, make me WANT it!"

jshaw
Profile for jshaw
Re: Into the Shark Tank [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-17-2013 13:52
Even with rear wheel steering, it takes a smudge over 40ft to turn this car o.0
Paul M.
Profile for Paul M.
Re: Into the Shark Tank [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-17-2013 14:59
Mikeydred wrote:
The 2nd generation rl debuted with nav standard and ppl thought it was too expensive.

We'll never be satisfied :-D

Just for the record, I don't think that the RLX is somehow grossly deficient. The reviews this week certainly don't support that.

It's just hard to see any clear points of comparison where it comes up short because we all know Acura is trying to come up from behind.

What's that old Avis slogan again? When you're #2, you try harder. And the RL wasn't even #2, it was dead last!

HONDA AFVM
Profile for HONDA AFVM
Re: Into the Shark Tank [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-18-2013 18:34
TurkMan71 wrote:
HONDA AFVM wrote:
Great_Tubimi wrote:
HONDA AFVM wrote:
Paul M. wrote:

VERY VERY well said, and Andrew, I'm glad you agree - next time you go to Torrance bring a copy of the above...

They already know.......Eyes are watching....

330R
Profile for 330R
Re: Into the Shark Tank [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-18-2013 19:17
They know??! Then WHY on earth don't they do better?
NealX
Profile for NealX
Re: Into the Shark Tank [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-18-2013 19:21
I hope for eyes that look with foresight rather than in retrospect.
HONDA AFVM
Profile for HONDA AFVM
Re: Into the Shark Tank [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-19-2013 12:32
330R wrote:

You can't always get it right the 1st time. Really in the big picture, these small items won't stop someone from wanting the car....it will come down to how that individual likes the car after driving it. If Jeff was that impressed, he is a critic, then your average person should be overwhelmed with the cars feel....

Until it gets out there and the feed back comes in, then Honda won't know what is liked and disliked....

acuraguyX
Profile for acuraguyX
Re: Into the Shark Tank [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-19-2013 13:14
I'm sorry but I respectfully disagree. The bottom line is that the car is not that attractive. You say that it will come down to how the individual feels after driving it and that may be so, however due to the blandness I'm sure not too many will be going to the dealership to take that test drive. To be blunt, when you meet a girl for the first time, you see her looks first, personality second. If there's no attraction its never gonna work!
Mikeydred
Profile for Mikeydred
Re: Into the Shark Tank [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-19-2013 13:50
HONDA AFVM wrote:
Mikeydred wrote:

Customer, ABSOLUTELY!!

Come on Andrew, 5 stars is a lock and you know itís not going to be an issue. Side curtains are sufficed and again you don't want to be hit on the side no matter the circumstances.

DJironM
Profile for DJironM
Re: Into the Shark Tank [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-19-2013 15:10
HONDA AFVM wrote:
330R wrote:

You can't always get it right the 1st time. Really in the big picture, these small items won't stop someone from wanting the car....it will come down to how that individual likes the car after driving it. If Jeff was that impressed, he is a critic, then your average person should be overwhelmed with the cars feel....

Until it gets out there and the feed back comes in, then Honda won't know what is liked and disliked....

You think that after all these years Honda admits they don't know what people in this segment like and dislike?

Potenza
Profile for Potenza
Re: Into the Shark Tank [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-19-2013 15:36
DJironM wrote:
HONDA AFVM wrote:
330R wrote:

You think that after all these years Honda admits they don't know what people in this segment like and dislike?

Oh but they're learning.

But according to Acura representatives and simple reasoning, most buyers aren't purchasing these sedans for the dynamic benefits offered by a rear-drive platform. These sedans aren't, after all, sports cars.

"We learned with the [all-wheel-drive] RL, which was among the best handling cars in the class, that having the best handling car doesn't mean you have the best-selling car," one Honda executive told us.

Wait... what? Now I'm really confused about their newest approach.

owequitit
Profile for owequitit
Re: Into the Shark Tank [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-19-2013 19:57
HONDA AFVM wrote:
330R wrote:

Shouldn't they be able to get it right the 3rd time? This is not the first flagship misfire... In fact, every product wearing the RL something badge has been an abysmal failure. It could be argued that they are getting WORSE.

notyper
Profile for notyper
Re: Into the Shark Tank [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-19-2013 20:12
To be fair, the first gen RL was really pathetic. I drove one before we did the 2005 RL launch tour. The 2nd gen was worlds better. Maybe the first gen was a bit more comfy.

SC

HONDA AFVM
Profile for HONDA AFVM
Re: Into the Shark Tank [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-20-2013 11:19
DJironM wrote:
HONDA AFVM wrote:
330R wrote:

Not what I meant........You can't be 100% on everything........I mean did people buy the Infinity M45 for the silver dust in the wood????? No, bad call and too much spent.......having said that, Acura went to the other extreme with their fake wood. The dull finish is just fine......but the shiny stuff is not....That's all I am saying and They let it slip.....they will fix it....

sadlerau
Profile for sadlerau
Re: Into the Shark Tank [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-20-2013 11:38
Hey, I like the shiny stuff! But then I bought the beige interior Legend! LOL
Mikeydred
Profile for Mikeydred
Re: Into the Shark Tank [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-20-2013 13:28
HONDA AFVM wrote:
DJironM wrote:
HONDA AFVM wrote:
330R wrote:

Not what I meant........You can't be 100% on everything........I mean did people buy the Infinity M45 for the silver dust in the wood????? No, bad call and too much spent.......having said that, Acura went to the other extreme with their fake wood. The dull finish is just fine......but the shiny stuff is not....That's all I am saying and They let it slip.....they will fix it....

They need to be asked the question why canít they just put real wood in their vehicles? A nice interior like this and then you ruin it with faux wood, at least they should have put aluminum or a wood over plastic. I didnít see any where that indicated the wood is fake, but if so that is another lost opportunity, because the media will call them out on it for sure.

Colin
Profile for Colin
Re: Into the Shark Tank [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-20-2013 13:39
notyper wrote:
To be fair, the first gen RL was really pathetic. I drove one before we did the 2005 RL launch tour. The 2nd gen was worlds better. Maybe the first gen was a bit more comfy.

SC

If you 'ignore' the long service life of the chassis and only look at the 1st 5 years, they didn't do that bad. I believe it's Honda's 'frugalness' that has them running the cars for ~10 years, rendering the last 3-4 worthless.

I started with Acura in 1995 and our store had five 400+ day old Legends left over when the 3.5 RLs started rolling in. We sold a BUNCH of the original RLs. They were everything the Legend was not, and for buyers considering an LS400, it was an honest comparison. Of course, with time the LS evolved, the 300 hp GS came on line and the RL faded.

I distinctly remember an older sales guy talking to a Legend customer debating on RL vs LS for their next car. He said, "this s the luxury car you thought you were getting with the Legend" The RL was comfortable, quiet, easy steering and didn't scrape in every driveway and pull the undertray off.

Obviously these are not important attributes for people here, but there was a buyer for that car back then and as the LS got more and more expensive through the 90's the RL remained competitive before fading in the 2000's.

Thread Page - [1] 2
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
29 mobile: 0