[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
This 2019 Acura RDX A-Spec is wearing an exclusive new shade of blue
More.......................
2019 Pilot gets upgraded with standard LED headlights and "Telematics"
Sources: 2019 HR-V adds Sport trim, loses 6MT option
All-new 2019 Acura RDX Makes Road Debut as Official Vehicle of Rally Cycling Alongside NSX Supercar
Clarity Electric still available for $199/month lease, but down payment has increased $600
Driving impressions: Hondata's FlashPro for the FK8 Civic Type R
American Honda Reports April Sales Results
Honda reveals Everus EV Concept at Beijing International Auto Show
Fuel Cell Technology --> Re: Beat a Mirai to the H2 station last night New style H70 pumps
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> 2018 Indy 500
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: Spare Wheel Kit: Damaged Wheel
Join Discussion......
NSX --> Re: 2020 NSX Type-R
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Drove the new Mazda 6 Signature with 2.5 Skyactiv Turbo today
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: Mishimoto Catch Can - What For?
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: 2019 RDX Trim Levels
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Moto GP Spoiler
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: RDX Production Starts
Join Discussion......
Audio & Electronics --> Re: iOS 11 breaks just about all Bluetooth Functionality, 2013-15 Accord—** UPDATE **
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2018 Spanish Grand Prix
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Porsche Macan S weight distro: 56.7/43.3
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: My NSX video
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Electricity Supplies tight in Calimestan
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: Any expected improvement in US Type R availability?
Join Discussion......
Photo Gallery - Some other cars from 2019 NYIAS
Read Article....................
TOV Video: 2019 Acura RDX Walk-around with LPL Steve Hansen
TOV Photo Gallery: 2018 North American International Auto Show
2018 Acura RLX PR Photo Gallery
TOV First Drive: 2018 Honda Accord
2018 Honda Accord Specifications and Features (FINAL)

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
  TOV News > All-New 2014 Acura RLX Employs an Array of New Signature Acura Technologies to Deliver a New Level > > Re: Perfect car for the Dead Heads

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Perfect car for the Dead Heads [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-15-2013 20:24
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Have you checked out the XM Dead channel?

We played it driving down from Washington last year. Got excellent mileage, cruise control at a reasonable speed, no need to rush too much, wife and I relaxed together as I drove -for a change.

She did not yell at me.

I was not sweating looking out for the cops.

We enjoyed our time together, with some Dead tunes on the fine stereo (even in XM is excruciatingly bad, at least the TSX's ELS saved it somehow), no need to crank it, just right.

You just can't be stressed with the Dead. Simply impossible.

So...

The RLX with the Krell system is the perfect car for this Karmic Contemplation going down the Road.

Sure, let the Teutons play their Valhalla, let them go for their Beethovens, their Wagner, etc...

Let the Italians go for their Rossini. Rumbling egyptian elephants across the stage.

Let Lexus and Infiniti go for -hell, do FOB Chinese play their stereos?

And let those brands satisfy the nouveau rich wanna bees that play whatever loud Pop Diva, Gangsta Rapper or American Idol WGWG is hot at that minute.

IMHO, this car is quite restrained. Sort of really what a Dead Head would just do. You know, keep a low profile. A car for those whose sartorial creativity now is constrained to the wild patterns on their boxers, under their Levi's.

Keeping you hair short nowadays so that even if you're cruising above those 747s the authorities will consider you a Pillar of Society...

As you go down the road, just a bit over the limit, playing the Dead.

I think I finally got it. Make no ripples.

If only Jerry were here, this would be his car.

Neal, you want to know how to sell this car? Play this in the background and AHM should pay the royalties to some charity.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVdTQ3OPtGY

NealX
Profile for NealX
Re: Perfect car for the Dead Heads [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-15-2013 21:10
"Dead" people scare me.
sadlerau
Profile for sadlerau
Re: Perfect car for the Dead Heads [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-16-2013 00:20
Tony you need some Santana relief.
MalcolmR
Profile for MalcolmR
Re: Perfect car for the Dead Heads [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-16-2013 00:23
nyt getting to you, TonyE?

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Perfect car for the Dead Heads [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-16-2013 12:22
sadlerau wrote:
Tony you need some Santana relief.

As a matter of fact, I love Santana...

I have a first edition LP with Black Magic Woman, a song which on the LP was recorded backwards.. L to R, and R to L.

So, when the congas makes their intro they are approximately four feet and out to the left of the left speaker. Naturally, when they went to make the CD, they figured it out and swapped the channels back.

Image the chaos when me and some buddies went to check out a new High End Audio shop in the Westside (of LA) in 1992. I requested he played that song, and he used... the CD.

By then, I'd never heard the CD and the Internet did not have a Web -there was no widespread usenet for Audio then- so imagine my surprise when the congas came out the wrong side. The poor owner went all over trying to figure what was wrong... it was his new store so he wasn't quite sure that one of the many wires might have been swapped. :-0

Anyhow, Santana is different, more uptempo. Just listen how Carlos drags the notes all over the place while Jerry picks the guitar. The percussion is also quite different, the Dead have syncopated dual drummers, one playing around the other, but the drums are always foundation, not foreground. For Santana, percussion is much more complex.

Carlos has the latin/caribbean/jazz background while Jerry harks back to American Folklore.

While Santana has a hint of salsa, piquante!, Jerry is Church, Drugs and Whiskey.

With Santana you often want to go faster, with the Dead you can just sit back and experience the world.

I hope I explained myself?

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Perfect car for the Dead Heads [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-16-2013 12:24
Neal wrote:
"Dead" people scare me.

You mean "Buick" People?

Dead heads are not 'dead' technically, it's just that when you live ten miles high then you see the big picture and realize there's no real need to rush.

And you don't have to be technically stoned to be ten miles high, it's an attitude.

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Perfect car for the Dead Heads [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-16-2013 12:24
MalcolmR wrote:
nyt getting to you, TonyE?

He has an old Volvo... did you catch that?

NealX
Profile for NealX
Re: Perfect car for the Dead Heads [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-16-2013 12:38
TonyE wrote:
Neal wrote:
"Dead" people scare me.

You mean "Buick" People?

Dead heads are not 'dead' technically, it's just that when you live ten miles high then you see the big picture and realize there's no real need to rush.

And you don't have to be technically stoned to be ten miles high, it's an attitude.

I prefer to be eight miles high...

sadlerau
Profile for sadlerau
Re: Perfect car for the Dead Heads [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-16-2013 22:13
Tony, Santana doesn't make me want to go fast, it lets me sit back, relax and be soothed, all the while thinking of all the beautiful women I've known in my life :)
DCR
Profile for DCR
Re: Perfect car for the Dead Heads [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-16-2013 22:53
"Out on the road today, I saw a Dead Head sticker on a Cadillac."

Get it?

Nope, you don't.

Colin
Profile for Colin
Re: Perfect car for the Dead Heads [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-16-2013 23:22
DCR wrote:

Get it?

Nope, you don't.

You're like "a little voice inside my head saying don't look back, you can never look back"

DCR
Profile for DCR
Re: Perfect car for the Dead Heads [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-16-2013 23:47
Yet, you still do.

It helps when peddling your little blog.

Colin
Profile for Colin
Re: Perfect car for the Dead Heads [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-16-2013 23:50
DCR wrote:
Yet, you still do.

It helps when peddling your little blog.

Feel better?

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Perfect car for the Dead Heads [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-17-2013 00:27
DCR wrote:

Get it?

Nope, you don't.

I can see by your eyes you must be lying
When you think I don't have a clue
Baby you're crazy
If you think that you can fool me
Because I've seen that movie too

Oh, I get it. dude, I was like there.... I have that record too.. Actually I think I have over 4000 but I lost count a long time ago.

That's the 80s.. Don Henley was a Southern Californian...if you listen to his songs, and The Eagles, you hear a lot of frustration and cynicism. They did not understand the Dead.

It's like this, someone who's mindset is strictly three dimensional, who has never truly expanded his mind can not understand the Dead.

Only when you have moved your experience past the material bullshit that consumerist civilization forces you to experience, only then can you really understand stuff. Some folks do this via deprivation like religious hermits, others short circuited it... ;-)

Henley's idea of a Dead Head in a Cadillac is fake.. such a person would be...

"Going down the road feeling bad
Going down the road feeling bad
Going down the road feeling bad, hey hey hey, yeah
Don't wanna be treated this a way"

But finally, with this RLX, suburban Dead heads can rejoice and

Reach out your hand if your cup be empty,
If your cup is full may it be again,
Let it be known there is a fountain,
That was not made by the hands of men.

There is a road, no simple highway,
Between the dawn and the dark of night,
And if you go no one may follow,
That path is for your steps alone.

Now, do YOU get it?

Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: Perfect car for the Dead Heads [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-17-2013 09:26
Brilliant - best RLX thread yet, Tony!

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Perfect car for the Dead Heads [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-17-2013 14:03
Nick Graves wrote:
Brilliant - best RLX thread yet, Tony!

Thanks..

And, if you get really frustrated.... then just play this in your mobile Krell Audio System. Just remember, there is absolutely NO NEED to go over 75 in Oregon. No siree... 72 on the fast lane is fine. No one will pass you, you'll get great mileage and you will love it...

Truckin', I'm a goin' home. Whoa whoa baby, back where I belong,
Back home, sit down and patch my bones, and get back truckin' on.
Hey now get back truckin' home.

And, yes, I can see such a brilliant marketing campaign for Acura based on the Grateful Dead.... for people who are not on the ride anymore...

Now you swear and kick and beg us
That you're not a gamblin' man
Then you find you're back in Vegas
With a handle in your hand
Your black cards can make you money
So you hide them when you're able
In the land of milk and honey
You must put them on the table

You know... when you realize that the chase for status is bogus, the chase to "die with the most toys" is inane, but at the same time, you are do appreciate things for what they are, and are able to discern quality from glam.

http://contemplatingtruth.wordpress.com/2013/01/27/jeremy-narby/

In the interview, Narby talks about his experience with the powerful hallucinogen ayahuasca in the course of his research’s interaction with the Ashaninca Indians of the Peruvian Amazon. He says the experience forced him to question the reductionist, materialist paradigm of Western knowledge. Narby has written a book based on his experience and research;

As people grow older, they tend to "scale down". I mean, it becomes a "been there, done that" thing. Some people, however, never stop, they have no limits, either they are very mystical (good for them... I think Herman Hesse here) or materialistic as hell (it works for Donald Trump, someone who I admire in a way, but it wrecks and hollows most).

A car like the RLX is perfect for the crowd that reached self realization and gotten out the gravy reaching train. The car is athletic, state of the art in many ways, but is set to a "limit space" into which if fully expands into, but no more. It's a self imposed limitation within, Gandhi like, you are happy.

To me, at this point of my life, the TSX Wagon Tech fits that purpose. It's exactly what I want on my current trip.

Of course, Shawn is upset with the RLX because in his opinion the car is understated and undepowered, which is fine, because his opinion is based on someone who properly understands ( and I agree ) that you can never have too much power in a car (whether your use it or not, is actually up to you, of course). So from that POV, yes, this car is not over the top. Plus so long as AHM pitches Acura against the Status Seeking Brands, it is indeed too understated,. it needs more Teutonic Bling or Western Opulence.

But maybe, you're off the "show off gravy train". I mean, I'm 54 and I happily drive a Civic Si... my neighbors have their Bimmers, Benzes, whatever, but when it comes down to it, I'm the ONLY one that peels off and leaves real rubber on the street, they don't. I'm the ONLY one that has a wicked grin when I drive it and I mash the gas pedal in the middle of a turn.

(Yes, the Si is no TSX, but it has just enough power to achieve my desired state of wide open throttle nirvana when I need a fix, but, sadly, it is no TSX. Think of it as in even Dead Heads need an upper every so often).

You know, every person I've met in a Legend/RLX absolutely loved/loves their car.

They were interesting, restrained. older (45 and up) people, not the often flat caricatures that show up in their Big Benzes or Bimmers ( mind you, not everyone in a Benz or Bimmer are such, but I've met so many Real Estate experts, House Flippers, Marketing Gurus in those cars, plus the zilions of FOBs going 10 under the limit, that I have no desired to talk to one of those owners.. unless, of course, they have a 630CSi, 2000tii or 450SEL 6.9.

Heck, in an RL with Krell, I could likely do 500 mph at 40,000 feet just sitting in my garage. ;-)

Bottom line, IMHO, is that AHM/Acura marketing fails to understand the reality that the RLX fits to. They tend to want to fight it out with the materialistic brands. Infiniti tried the rocks, which was a great idea, but it bombed in the US, perhaps Honda is afraid of it.

Hence, framing the RLX and the antimateristic goal, a mystical understanding of what self limits and very high quality standars are all about, would fit Acura to a 'T'.

And, Dead music would too... because most Dead Heads I've met are really funny, smart and are just not into showing off to anyone.

Dead heads march to the beat of their own two drum sets. Dig?

And so does this car.

DCR
Profile for DCR
Re: Perfect car for the Dead Heads [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-17-2013 15:32
I can't stop laughing...honestly, this is hilarious.

An Acura ad campaign based on the Grateful Dead??? HAHAHAHAH!!!!!!

jshaw
Profile for jshaw
Re: Perfect car for the Dead Heads [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-17-2013 20:36
DCR wrote:

Don't worry about it. ANY Acura ad for the RL would be appreciated for that vehicle.

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Perfect car for the Dead Heads [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-17-2013 23:14
DCR wrote:

Don't be so shallow and materialistic.

Many Dead Heads today have more money than you.

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Perfect car for the Dead Heads [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-17-2013 23:20
TonyE wrote:
DCR wrote:

Don't be so shallow and materialistic.

Many Dead Heads today have more money than you.

Oh, which likely is not a hard thing to do... meaning that when you step out from the materialist race and stop wasting your money, it's not hard to see where value is and build up some serious cash.

I mean, I trade cars very often only because our situation makes it advantageous, and we do tend to deal more with Hondas -not Acuras- because that's where the true resale profits are.

But, if I did not have that motive, I would most likely be driving a Legend or RL today. Given how poorly they were selling and if you are willing to hold on to them for a long time, they are a real steal.

In this train of design thought, I don't think the RL/RLX will ever sell in huge numbers because many people are LEASING the STYLE and BLING.. not buying REAL things.

But if AHM understood this and decided to sell the car HONESTLY they might find that people with values like older Dead Heads fit the bill precisely.

Thread Page - [1]
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
30 mobile: 0