[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
This 2019 Acura RDX A-Spec is wearing an exclusive new shade of blue
More.......................
2019 Pilot gets upgraded with standard LED headlights and "Telematics"
Sources: 2019 HR-V adds Sport trim, loses 6MT option
All-new 2019 Acura RDX Makes Road Debut as Official Vehicle of Rally Cycling Alongside NSX Supercar
Clarity Electric still available for $199/month lease, but down payment has increased $600
Driving impressions: Hondata's FlashPro for the FK8 Civic Type R
American Honda Reports April Sales Results
Honda reveals Everus EV Concept at Beijing International Auto Show
Fuel Cell Technology --> Re: Beat a Mirai to the H2 station last night New style H70 pumps
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> 2018 Indy 500
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: Spare Wheel Kit: Damaged Wheel
Join Discussion......
NSX --> Re: 2020 NSX Type-R
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Drove the new Mazda 6 Signature with 2.5 Skyactiv Turbo today
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: Mishimoto Catch Can - What For?
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: 2019 RDX Trim Levels
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Moto GP Spoiler
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: RDX Production Starts
Join Discussion......
Audio & Electronics --> Re: iOS 11 breaks just about all Bluetooth Functionality, 2013-15 Accord—** UPDATE **
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2018 Spanish Grand Prix
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Porsche Macan S weight distro: 56.7/43.3
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: My NSX video
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Electricity Supplies tight in Calimestan
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: Any expected improvement in US Type R availability?
Join Discussion......
Photo Gallery - Some other cars from 2019 NYIAS
Read Article....................
TOV Video: 2019 Acura RDX Walk-around with LPL Steve Hansen
TOV Photo Gallery: 2018 North American International Auto Show
2018 Acura RLX PR Photo Gallery
TOV First Drive: 2018 Honda Accord
2018 Honda Accord Specifications and Features (FINAL)

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
  TOV News > All-New 2014 Acura RLX Employs an Array of New Signature Acura Technologies to Deliver a New Level > > Re: Good to Great

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author

iutodd
Profile for iutodd
Good to Great [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-15-2013 15:40
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
After reading several reviews the FWD version of the RLX seems to be a rather good car. All of the reviews have said nice things about the interior, the tech and the drive. I personally think that Acura has delivered what it needed to deliver. I've read the word "surprising" a lot in these reviews which is a good thing that shows the car delivers.

And all of the reviews hint that the ESHAWD version is going to be a great car, maybe even sublime. I think Acura has actually played this right: the initial reviews are good but then the ESHAWD version will take it up a notch and that is what you want. The feedback about cars should be ascendant and not the other way around.

xBeastx
Profile for xBeastx
Re: Good to Great [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-15-2013 17:55
I'm wondering how the eSH-AWD will compare to the FWD in terms of packaging and power. This 3.5L V6 has 310hp...I could easily see the hybrid achieving 400+ horsepower to the SH-AWD system. That thing will be a monster! Also, it's supposed to get 30mpg city & highway! Almost the same as the current 2013 Honda Fit here in the US.
Waldo
Profile for Waldo
Re: Good to Great [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-15-2013 19:43
It doesn't matter how "good to great" it is if Acura doesn't spend a great deal of money advertising the goodness and greatness. Advertising is what it will take to build the cache of the brand. They will have to advertise more than they can ever hope to justify for a couple of years. Acura needs to start over with brand awareness, and their flagship is a good place to start. Advertise until they can sell 4000 RLX's the first year. That's over 10 times as many as last year. They need to raise brand awareness. Nobody that matters even thinks of Acura anymore.

A couple of the reviews have noted that it drives better than the E-class Mercedes. That's an achievement, and it needs to be shouted from the rooftops. (Forget trying to compete with BMW 5XX's. Those people are like Apple fanbois - there's no point in trying to convert them.) Go for the Lexus GS and MB-E customer. Quiet serene comfort means more to them.

Mikeydred
Profile for Mikeydred
Re: Good to Great [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-15-2013 21:23
I wonder how it stacks up against the GS since the GS has raised it sport intentions. E class is on it's last leg not surprising it out handled the E class plus the E was never known for sportyness.
Paul M.
Profile for Paul M.
Re: Good to Great [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-16-2013 11:32
iutodd wrote:
I think Acura has actually played this right: the initial reviews are good but then the ESHAWD version will take it up a notch and that is what you want. The feedback about cars should be ascendant and not the other way around.

I disagree. If Acura wanted to grab attention and polish its image, then it should have led off with something truly special. It's better to make a big splash with your best, most unique product.

You don't get a second chance to make a first impression (isn't that a slogan for a shampoo or something?) By the time the AWD car comes out, a lot of minds will already be made up about the RLX. Us fanboys :-) at TOV may follow these things closely, but the general public doesn't.

It's probably safe to assume that Acura would've preferred to launch with the AWD car. Right now they're making the best of a less-than-ideal situation.

NealX
Profile for NealX
Re: Good to Great [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-16-2013 11:45
^ Sounds a lot like the ILX - little learned or just too late?
gofast182
Profile for gofast182
Re: Good to Great [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-16-2013 12:19
Other than Edmunds, every review I've read give the RLX cautious praise in all areas. All in all I'd say that's a very positive result for Acura. A few of the reviews also indicated that the SH^2-AWD model will be a game-changer. If Acura gets the marketing right, they could do relatively well with this.

Potenza
Profile for Potenza
Re: Good to Great [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-16-2013 12:51
iutodd wrote:
After reading several reviews the FWD version of the RLX seems to be a rather good car. All of the reviews have said nice things about the interior, the tech and the drive. I personally think that Acura has delivered what it needed to deliver.
Could the same not be said of the predecessor RL in 2005? Reviews had fine things to say about it. It was undeniably a rather good car. Sales were rather not so good.

Where does the RLX make its mark in a way that the RL was not able to? Personally I don't expect different results from the same formula.

iutodd
Profile for iutodd
Re: Good to Great [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-16-2013 13:02
Paul M. wrote:
iutodd wrote:
I think Acura has actually played this right: the initial reviews are good but then the ESHAWD version will take it up a notch and that is what you want. The feedback about cars should be ascendant and not the other way around.

I disagree. If Acura wanted to grab attention and polish its image, then it should have led off with something truly special. It's better to make a big splash with your best, most unique product.

You don't get a second chance to make a first impression (isn't that a slogan for a shampoo or something?) By the time the AWD car comes out, a lot of minds will already be made up about the RLX. Us fanboys :-) at TOV may follow these things closely, but the general public doesn't.

It's probably safe to assume that Acura would've preferred to launch with the AWD car. Right now they're making the best of a less-than-ideal situation.

I think momentum is tricky. Releasing the best version first means you don't have anything left to show but a version of the car that is worse and it's harder to gain anything from the move. Even if the ESHAWD version wasn't ready first I still think this was the right thing to do. Acura sees itself as a company that is building momentum so for 2013 we still have a super RLX and the MDX to look forward too as opposed to just the MDX. Also I've said this before but I think Acura wanted to give all of the other tech debuting on this car a chance to shine: PAWS, LKAS, new AcuraLink, new ACC, new V6, new 6AT...etc. if the ESHAWD version was first its all anyone would be talking about. Hell most first drives already mentioned it just as prominently as everything else after two test laps. Think about that: Acura has a car that auto journalists are actively looking forward to. THAT is why Acura is doing this right.

atomiclightbulb
Profile for atomiclightbulb
Re: Good to Great [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-16-2013 13:24
Potenza wrote:
Could the same not be said of the predecessor RL in 2005? Reviews had fine things to say about it. It was undeniably a rather good car. Sales were rather not so good.

Where does the RLX make its mark in a way that the RL was not able to? Personally I don't expect different results from the same formula.

The formula is slightly different this time, which I think will make some difference. First, the RLX has a large rear bench. The RL did not have the rear seat room or cabin space one would expect from a flagship sedan. Second, the RLX seems to have a higher degree of refinement, particularly in the NVH department.

The previous RL was too close in size to the TL. Interior space and cargo capacity were virtually the same, and with SH-AWD available on the TL, the RL offered only a nicer interior.

iutodd wrote:
Also I've said this before but I think Acura wanted to give all of the other tech debuting on this car a chance to shine: PAWS, LKAS, new AcuraLink, new ACC, new V6, new 6AT...etc. if the ESHAWD version was first its all anyone would be talking about. Hell most first drives already mentioned it just as prominently as everything else after two test laps. Think about that: Acura has a car that auto journalists are actively looking forward to. THAT is why Acura is doing this right.

I agree. They Acura wanted to show off the other tech, and they wanted to give the PAWS system a chance to impress, which by all accounts it has done.

The main media complaints I see with the RLX are (1) Not RWD, but partially mitigated by PAWS, which gives it near-RWD handling in most everyday driving situations and (2) Boring styling.

(2) is a shame, because the RLX does seem to be a genuine technological showcase. I hope that Jeff's favorable impression of the RLX when looking at it "in person" will prove true for the general public. The press photos and horrible CGI from Acura have not given me any confidence so far.

Potenza
Profile for Potenza
Re: Good to Great [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-16-2013 13:49
atomiclightbulb wrote:
The previous RL was too close in size to the TL. Interior space and cargo capacity were virtually the same, and with SH-AWD available on the TL, the RL offered only a nicer interior.
That's true, I keep forgetting about the TL model. Though that now brings up the question, what's going to happen to this FWD RLX when the TLX arrives?

The Accord has 278hp, the RLX has 310 - it's pretty clear where the TLX is going to arrive in terms of HP. Ultimately the RLX won't have any significant advantage in that category.

So the other unknowns are size, price. Content of course will be less than the RLX. Styling can only be better...

I worry now that Acura didn't push the RLX far enough to give the TLX room to shine. They may have to dumb it down to risk stepping on their own feet; otherwise it will be back to the TL/RL situation.

MasterOfDaDomain
Profile for MasterOfDaDomain
Re: Good to Great [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-16-2013 14:26
For vehicles in this class, I'm not sure how the reviews will reflect the sales. The last RL was much praised when it came out, but the sales didn't live up to it.

The major issue with the RLX is the bland design. (Same issue with the last RL.) The price and FWD only (for now) would likely be issues also.

Great_Tubimi
Profile for Great_Tubimi
Re: Good to Great [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-16-2013 14:42
gofast182 wrote:
Other than Edmunds, every review I've read give the RLX cautious praise in all areas. All in all I'd say that's a very positive result for Acura. A few of the reviews also indicated that the SH^2-AWD model will be a game-changer. If Acura gets the marketing right, they could do relatively well with this.

The original SH-AWD was supposed to be a "game-changer" as well, no? Not saying it isn't "useful," but it might have been better served being displayed on a lighter vehicle. I think this is Honda living in their bubble again.

Even if the latest claim about SH^2-AWD is from an independent source, I still don't see how this will really resonate on a vehicle that has little to no standing in the market. I just hope Acura can break the trend of assuming that technology will speak for itself in the realm of luxury, smart or otherwise.

The Legend
Profile for The Legend
Re: Good to Great [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-16-2013 16:40
MasterOfDaDomain wrote:
For vehicles in this class, I'm not sure how the reviews will reflect the sales. The last RL was much praised when it came out, but the sales didn't live up to it.

The major issue with the RLX is the bland design. (Same issue with the last RL.) The price and FWD only (for now) would likely be issues also.

RL had pretty good bursts in 2004-2005-2006... then it went freefall by the time the 4th gen. TL was released.

Mikeydred
Profile for Mikeydred
Re: Good to Great [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-16-2013 22:07
Great_Tubimi wrote:
gofast182 wrote:

That's where you have the NSX to bring up the rear.

The original SH-AWD was supposed to be a "game-changer" as well, no? Not saying it isn't "useful," but it might have been better served being displayed on a lighter vehicle. I think this is Honda living in their bubble again.

Even if the latest claim about SH^2-AWD is from an independent source, I still don't see how this will really resonate on a vehicle that has little to no standing in the market. I just hope Acura can break the trend of assuming that technology will speak for itself in the realm of luxury, smart or otherwise.

Mikeydred
Profile for Mikeydred
Re: Good to Great [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-16-2013 22:10
Mikeydred wrote:
Great_Tubimi wrote:
gofast182 wrote:

Sorry for inadvertently messing up the quote but I meant the NSX will be in the rear to help the sport hybrid image.
Great_Tubimi
Profile for Great_Tubimi
Re: Good to Great [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-17-2013 00:58
Mikeydred wrote:
Great_Tubimi wrote:
gofast182 wrote:

Sorry for inadvertently messing up the quote but I meant the NSX will be in the rear to help the sport hybrid image.

I just don't see what it will do for Acura's image, though. VTEC debuted on the NSX, true enough, but that technology trickled down to the Civic. I don't expect the any type of AWD will make it any lower than than a TL. The Sports4 concept has obviously been abandoned.

I feel that any positive affect from SH-AWD being added to the TL was neutralized by the "keen edge" styling. Couple that with the fact that (unless the ZDX is somehow still around) the NSX will be the only Acura to sell less than the RLX, and I just don't see how this latest AWD system will matter, frankly.

I guess I'm trying to figure out: "What 'game' is it changing, exactly?" I'm willing to wait and see, albeit skeptically.

Thread Page - [1]
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
30 mobile: 0