[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
This 2019 Acura RDX A-Spec is wearing an exclusive new shade of blue
More.......................
2019 Pilot gets upgraded with standard LED headlights and "Telematics"
Sources: 2019 HR-V adds Sport trim, loses 6MT option
All-new 2019 Acura RDX Makes Road Debut as Official Vehicle of Rally Cycling Alongside NSX Supercar
Clarity Electric still available for $199/month lease, but down payment has increased $600
Driving impressions: Hondata's FlashPro for the FK8 Civic Type R
American Honda Reports April Sales Results
Honda reveals Everus EV Concept at Beijing International Auto Show
General Talk --> Re: I just realized
Join Discussion......
NSX --> Re: 2020 NSX Type-R
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Electricity Supplies tight in Calimestan
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: 2019 Civic MMC rumors?
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Porsche Macan S weight distro: 56.7/43.3
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Drove the new Mazda 6 Signature with 2.5 Skyactiv Turbo today
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Electronic rear view mirrors - one thing I don't like
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: 2019 RDX Trim Levels
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Re: Beat a Mirai to the H2 station last night New style H70 pumps
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2018 Spanish Grand Prix
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Tesla - facts behind the mirage
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: Mishimoto Catch Can - What For?
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Moto GP Spoiler
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: 2018 Indy 500
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: Spare Wheel Kit: Damaged Wheel
Join Discussion......
Photo Gallery - Some other cars from 2019 NYIAS
Read Article....................
TOV Video: 2019 Acura RDX Walk-around with LPL Steve Hansen
TOV Photo Gallery: 2018 North American International Auto Show
2018 Acura RLX PR Photo Gallery
TOV First Drive: 2018 Honda Accord
2018 Honda Accord Specifications and Features (FINAL)

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
  TOV News > All-New 2014 Acura RLX Employs an Array of New Signature Acura Technologies to Deliver a New Level > > Re: cheer up. The RLX is pretty good.

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author

NealX
Profile for NealX
All-New Car. Same-Old Photos. [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-15-2013 11:27
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
I was really hoping for a new standard of execution and stylistic "desirability" from these all-important, launch/release images. I appreciate a certain level of "honesty" in imagery, but these are of the same quality we get with the Civic.

If the in-coming reviews are mediocre, then the accompanying imagery can go a long way in overcoming that. These need to ooooooze "Flagship-Opulence-Sport-Luxury®"

Acura, you can SHAPE the initial visual impression! Make me WANT IT!

JeffX
Profile for JeffX
cheer up. The RLX is pretty good. [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-15-2013 15:29
Neal wrote:
I was really hoping for a new standard of execution and stylistic "desirability" from these all-important, launch/release images. I appreciate a certain level of "honesty" in imagery, but these are of the same quality we get with the Civic.

If the in-coming reviews are mediocre, then the accompanying imagery can go a long way in overcoming that. These need to ooooooze "Flagship-Opulence-Sport-Luxury®"

as usual I'm slow to get my review finished but I'm trying. Overall I'm actually pretty pleased with the car. Handling is pretty insane though in some situations you can catch it out and you'll feel the less optimal FF balance, and in these cases I still prefer FR. Also, with as much punch as the new 3.5L engine makes, RWD would make it much easier to get all of that power to the road. But really, these things don't reveal themselves except under fairly extreme circumstances - the average driver should be blown away by this car on a twisty two lane. Even I was. Only when I got it to the full on track was I able to pick out a few little minor flaws.

Otherwise this car has a lot more going for it than the outgoing RL. It's more refined, roomier, feels much quicker, handles better (most of the time). Also, I was a little disappointed with the styling as seen on an auto show floor - but this car looks MUCH better sitting on asphalt and in traffic. It has a much more upscale look and feel than I thought it would. I love the lightplay off of the 19" wheels especially contrasted against one of the darker exterior colors.

The morning of our drive, they had all of our cars lined up on the curb and it was actually a pretty impressive sight under an overcast sky with the LED lights blazing- the RLX definitely has a more premium presence than I expected. Also, the interior looks much better under natural lighting, especially when done in lighter colors. The monochromatic charcoal interior flattens the detail a bit too much, but I really like the two-tone light/dark interiors. They look quite rich on the RLX.

dampflok
Profile for dampflok
Re: cheer up. The RLX is pretty good. [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-15-2013 15:57
Thanks for the ray of hope breaking through the clouds.

cksi1372
Profile for cksi1372
Re: cheer up. The RLX is pretty good. [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-15-2013 17:23
Jeff - will there be any options for wheels? That's one thing I think really holds back the visual aspect of the RLX. Someone did a photoshop in another thread using Acura PR photos and added 5 or 6 spoke rims, which gave it a much sportier appearance. This would probably help it even more. Look forward to the full review.
NealX
Profile for NealX
Re: cheer up. The RLX is pretty good. [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-15-2013 17:43
^Wheels? I'd have to say no. Part of the "quietness" of the RLX is tied-up in the new harmonic/noise-canceling wheel design which I believe debuted last year on the RL.

To an extent, this may be tied to the styling of the wheelface itself. But yes, an alternative "sport" wheel could do wonders!

xBeastx
Profile for xBeastx
Re: cheer up. The RLX is pretty good. [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-15-2013 17:47
Is there a set release date for the RLX?
atomiclightbulb
Profile for atomiclightbulb
Re: cheer up. The RLX is pretty good. [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-15-2013 19:44
Jeff wrote:
Handling is pretty insane though in some situations

Otherwise this car has a lot more going for it than the outgoing RL. It's more refined, roomier, feels much quicker, handles better (most of the time). Also, I was a little disappointed with the styling as seen on an auto show floor - but this car looks MUCH better sitting on asphalt and in traffic.

If the RLX is that good, I may have to reconsider my conclusion that it's a dud.

I browsed through many reviews of the RLX this evening, and the consensus is that the handling, interior, and technology of this vehicle are very good. I got the sense that the automotive press was actually enthusiastic about the way the vehicle drives.

Is it just the usual bad photography and CGI that doesn't get the styling across? Because no matter how many photos I see of this car I just don't see much more than a dressed up 8G Accord. If it looks good in person and on the road, maybe it has a much better chance than the outgoing RL.

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: All-New Car. Same-Old Photos. [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-15-2013 20:09
Neal wrote:

Opulance indeed... like I said eons ago, Honda needs to learn Opulence and launch the Opulance brand. :-)

But...

What do you want? You got the PAWS? You got the Cat's Eyes... ain't it feline enough for you?

Oh yes...

The Wing... It needs a Wing... The Wing, Boss!. The Wing! Where's the Wing?

:-D

But seriously, I don't see that a sedan in this class should be too over styled. Ideally, it s should be restrained.

If the RLX is indeed larger... and if the rear is big enough.. then my only real complain is that there are some options in the Top trim such as ventilated seats and hear rear seats that should be offered on all models. You shouldn't have to buy all those electronic foofoos to get what I considered useful things in a sedan at this price point.

The way I see the RL, this should be the car that Grown Up Dead Heads will buy.. with the Krell system... It'd be such a cool car to go down the road listening to a Dead Concert in surround.

Or, at worst, on the XM Dead Channel.

It's straightforward, Feed Your Head while the car just trucks on down the road nicely.

Going down the Road feeling bad good for a change.

Right on man... they should have this music on their ads.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZ2JUjYcroc

aberabee
Profile for aberabee
Re: All-New Car. Same-Old Photos. [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-16-2013 16:41
Jeff,
Looking forward to reading your full review. I was skeptical but agree that the car was very good in person. I hope more people on this site get one on the road to formulate their own opinion.

Torque
Profile for Torque
Re: All-New Car. Same-Old Photos. [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-16-2013 21:38
If Acura had eye catching designs they wouldn't be getting half the flack they've been getting. I would attribute Kia's fast growth to their designs and not technological superiority. The truth of the matter is that looks sell more than tech prowess. The RLX is a boring and safe design. With show stopper looks the RLX could have been so much more.

When is Honda going to learn and finally spend the big bucks for a designer with actual skills? When is Honda going to stop simply sending cars over from Japan, having the US designers find a way to graft the beak onto it then expect it to sell well.

Hopefully, the TLX can turn the tide.

HONDA AFVM
Profile for HONDA AFVM
Re: cheer up. The RLX is pretty good. [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-17-2013 13:01
dampflok wrote:
Thanks for the ray of hope breaking through the clouds.

Thanks Jeff.........I ALWAYS worry about shinny GM/Toyota wood..........The rear side air bags is only a selling tool for another manufacture, but still, new Flagship should have all the flags in the breeze...........

Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: cheer up. The RLX is pretty good. [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-17-2013 15:02
atomiclightbulb wrote:
Jeff wrote:
Handling is pretty insane though in some situations

Otherwise this car has a lot more going for it than the outgoing RL. It's more refined, roomier, feels much quicker, handles better (most of the time). Also, I was a little disappointed with the styling as seen on an auto show floor - but this car looks MUCH better sitting on asphalt and in traffic.

If the RLX is that good, I may have to reconsider my conclusion that it's a dud.

I browsed through many reviews of the RLX this evening, and the consensus is that the handling, interior, and technology of this vehicle are very good. I got the sense that the automotive press was actually enthusiastic about the way the vehicle drives.

Is it just the usual bad photography and CGI that doesn't get the styling across? Because no matter how many photos I see of this car I just don't see much more than a dressed up 8G Accord. If it looks good in person and on the road, maybe it has a much better chance than the outgoing RL.

TBF, when was the last time there was a Honda that didn't look shit in the photos & then when you see it, it's actually rather good?

The P-AWS & eSHAWD ought to transform its manners and it's not as if Hondas were actually shit to drive beforehand - if you ignore the dead steering & awful visibility of late, that is.

I think the biggest worry is the thing that I (and Tony!) like; once again, it's not a car for swankers; the sort who leave the lights on all over their Barbie-doll house so you can see what they got and have a Benz parked outside. All lit up...

It's great for deadheads, but probably not so great for Acura - exactly like the last one, in fact.

Thread Page - [1]
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
29 mobile: 0