[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
This 2019 Acura RDX A-Spec is wearing an exclusive new shade of blue
More.......................
2019 Pilot gets upgraded with standard LED headlights and "Telematics"
More.......................
Sources: 2019 HR-V adds Sport trim, loses 6MT option
More.......................
All-new 2019 Acura RDX Makes Road Debut as Official Vehicle of Rally Cycling Alongside NSX Supercar
More.......................
Clarity Electric still available for $199/month lease, but down payment has increased $600
More.......................
Driving impressions: Hondata's FlashPro for the FK8 Civic Type R
More.......................
American Honda Reports April Sales Results
More.......................
Honda reveals Everus EV Concept at Beijing International Auto Show
More.......................
NSX --> Re: 2020 NSX Type-R
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: Mishimoto Catch Can - What For?
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: My NSX video
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Re: Beat a Mirai to the H2 station last night New style H70 pumps
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Electricity Supplies tight in Calimestan
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: 2019 RDX Trim Levels
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: Any expected improvement in US Type R availability?
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Porsche Macan S weight distro: 56.7/43.3
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Drove the new Mazda 6 Signature with 2.5 Skyactiv Turbo today
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: RDX Production Starts
Join Discussion......
Clarity --> Re: Clarity PHEV Owner
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2018 Spanish Grand Prix - Testing
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Early Honda TV Ads
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Now it's getting worse WSJ: Tesla is in trouble
Join Discussion......
Classifieds: Buy & Sell --> GUG Racing Civic Titanium Shift Knob & Short Shifter For Sale
Join Discussion......
Photo Gallery - Some other cars from 2019 NYIAS
Read Article....................
TOV Video: 2019 Acura RDX Walk-around with LPL Steve Hansen
Read Article....................
TOV Photo Gallery: 2018 North American International Auto Show
Read Article....................
2018 Acura RLX PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
TOV First Drive: 2018 Honda Accord
Read Article....................
2018 Honda Accord Specifications and Features (FINAL)
Read Article....................

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
  TOV News > All-New 2014 Acura RLX Employs an Array of New Signature Acura Technologies to Deliver a New Level > > Re: The Accord is too good

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
    
Potenza
Profile for Potenza
The Accord is too good [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-15-2013 11:01
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
I can't see where anyone could justify spending $20k more than an Accord to get the RLX.

Rear legroom - one of Acura's first bragging points - is almost identical in the Accord. You can get leather, LED headlights, a potent V6 - with much better fuel economy and in a lighter body - in the Accord. Still front wheel drive, still 6AT, no more or less attractive.

Personally the only two things I can even find appealing on the RLX are the P-AWS and the attractive 3-spoke steering wheel. Put those in an Accord Sport, and I'll pocket the extra $25k.

ding
Profile for ding
Re: The Accord is too good [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-15-2013 11:16
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Potenza wrote:
I can't see where anyone could justify spending $20k more than an Accord to get the RLX.

Rear legroom - one of Acura's first bragging points - is almost identical in the Accord. You can get leather, LED headlights, a potent V6 - with much better fuel economy and in a lighter body - in the Accord. Still front wheel drive, still 6AT, no more or less attractive.

I'm with you and not because I own a 13 Accord. First of all, for almost 50k the base model should include the Nav. I will be willing to bet that will be the case in the future. Second, I'm certainly not a styling expert but I like the Accords styling overall better. The RLX his not bad but why do I get a Chevy Cruze feel from the rear lights? P-AWS is nice but how many folks who buy or lease this car are going to push it to fell any benefit. The SH-AWD/Hybrid looks more appealing overall but at what cost? The TLX should be interesting if you know what I mean.....

Personally the only two things I can even find appealing on the RLX are the P-AWS and the attractive 3-spoke steering wheel. Put those in an Accord Sport, and I'll pocket the extra $25k.



jshaw
Profile for jshaw
Re: The Accord is too good [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-15-2013 11:58
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
^^ Nobody includes a nav at this pricerange. I don't know exactly why, though apparently, enough people will buy the car without one to justify the loss of the headunit. Honestly, Acura used to sell the RL with ONLY one trim level - everything loaded, or no car at all. Obviously, that didn't work. The next level up (S class, LS, etc) has is standard.

RHalabi
Profile for RHalabi
Re: The Accord is too good [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-15-2013 12:09
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Potenza wrote:
I can't see where anyone could justify spending $20k more than an Accord to get the RLX.

Rear legroom - one of Acura's first bragging points - is almost identical in the Accord. You can get leather, LED headlights, a potent V6 - with much better fuel economy and in a lighter body - in the Accord. Still front wheel drive, still 6AT, no more or less attractive.

Personally the only two things I can even find appealing on the RLX are the P-AWS and the attractive 3-spoke steering wheel. Put those in an Accord Sport, and I'll pocket the extra $25k.



-paws is awesome
-ventilated seats impossible to live wihout once you had them
-more power
-Krell Audio
-home link can't be had on some top accords i believe... touring 6mt? which is weird since it used to.
-way better headlights for visibility. Jewel Lights.
-dumb but some people care about tube rear tails as a must have or no point to purchase.
-1 touch signals
-accoustic windshield and side doors! amazing
-triple zone climate control

and many other small things you wont notice.

Honda fans are typically frugal. aka cheap and poor. This is why they buy Hondas lets be honest. So they would never get the rlx anyways since the accord has nice things in it...
it doesn't have anything near the rlx but it has a lot of nice things. And to many that means the same thing.


I really like the automatic brake hold on hills. nice one feature.

Saying all that I still believe the RLX is about 6,000 dollars overpriced. hahah

Here in canada they were giving 8k off the 2012 TL's and MDX as the 13's rolled in. So I can see the RLX getting 10,000 off as they sit. Then its a very good buy.

Hondarulez
Profile for Hondarulez
Re: The Accord is too good [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-15-2013 12:24
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Yea I still think it's a bit overpriced. It certainly has tons of features, but starting at nearly $50k, that's just too much. I'd say the closest competitor to the RLX is the Cadillac XTS. And that car starts at $44k. Perhaps the base XTS isn't as loaded as the base RLX, but $44k definitely sounds more reasonable than $49k. I don't mind Acura de-contenting the base RLX even more to reach a starting price of $45k ish.

This is not even considering the rather bland styling which is a crucial part in this segment. It sure looks nice, but the new Accord looks nice too.

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: The Accord is too good [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-15-2013 14:15
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Hondarulez wrote:
Yea I still think it's a bit overpriced. It certainly has tons of features, but starting at nearly $50k, that's just too much. I'd say the closest competitor to the RLX is the Cadillac XTS. And that car starts at $44k. Perhaps the base XTS isn't as loaded as the base RLX, but $44k definitely sounds more reasonable than $49k. I don't mind Acura de-contenting the base RLX even more to reach a starting price of $45k ish.

This is not even considering the rather bland styling which is a crucial part in this segment. It sure looks nice, but the new Accord looks nice too.



Egawds... judging the book by it cover, huh?

Have ever driven an Acura car, even?

The Accord maybe good, just as a PSB Alpha speaker is good, but then you have to contend with the PSB Synchrony One.

Same company and you could argue built with the same voicing decisions but the end result is very different..

And, you are all forgetting something... the RLX is DWB up front still.

Potenza
Profile for Potenza
Re: The Accord is too good [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-15-2013 14:53
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
RHalabi wrote:
Potenza wrote:
I can't see where anyone could justify spending $20k more than an Accord to get the RLX.

Rear legroom - one of Acura's first bragging points - is almost identical in the Accord. You can get leather, LED headlights, a potent V6 - with much better fuel economy and in a lighter body - in the Accord. Still front wheel drive, still 6AT, no more or less attractive.

Personally the only two things I can even find appealing on the RLX are the P-AWS and the attractive 3-spoke steering wheel. Put those in an Accord Sport, and I'll pocket the extra $25k.


-paws is awesome
-ventilated seats impossible to live wihout once you had them
-more power
-Krell Audio
-home link can't be had on some top accords i believe... touring 6mt? which is weird since it used to.
-way better headlights for visibility. Jewel Lights.
-dumb but some people care about tube rear tails as a must have or no point to purchase.
-1 touch signals
-accoustic windshield and side doors! amazing
-triple zone climate control

and many other small things you wont notice.

Honda fans are typically frugal. aka cheap and poor. This is why they buy Hondas lets be honest. So they would never get the rlx anyways since the accord has nice things in it...
it doesn't have anything near the rlx but it has a lot of nice things. And to many that means the same thing.


I really like the automatic brake hold on hills. nice one feature.

Saying all that I still believe the RLX is about 6,000 dollars overpriced. hahah

Here in canada they were giving 8k off the 2012 TL's and MDX as the 13's rolled in. So I can see the RLX getting 10,000 off as they sit. Then its a very good buy.

I think it's disingenuous to call Honda fans "cheap and poor." I think we buy Honda products because we are smart; and isn't Acura supposed to be "Smart Luxury?" How can Honda add so many technological features to the Accord while raising its price less than $300, yet we're supposed to believe the further few features of the RLX are worth $25,000?

I don't get your argument of "Jewel Lights." That hits on a issue that I have with the press release itself. What are Jewel Lights? It's just a name. "World's first Jewel-Eye lights." Huh? That's like saying world's first TOV. It's not the first blog, or the first Honda blog, or the first anything... besides the name. Like I said, you can get LED headlights on an Accord, so I can't comprehend paying $25k more for them simply because Acura gives them a proper name.

1-touch signals? I had a Kia Soul rental car with this feature, no joke.

The RLX should be called Accord Touring Plus and be $35k, the next step above the Accord Touring. There's no way it's a smart purchase for $50-60k.

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: The Accord is too good [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-15-2013 14:59
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Potenza wrote:
...

The RLX should be called Accord Touring Plus and be $35k, the next step above the Accord Touring. There's no way it's a smart purchase for $50-60k.



You really are "cheap" and "poor".

Come on, be real. What do you get for 60K in an BMW or Benz, huh?

And, did you miss the bit about Double Wish Bone front and with All Wheel Drive?

Seriously, you are either pulling our legs for fun or are very "cheap".

TR
Profile for TR
Re: The Accord is too good [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-15-2013 15:08
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Can't compare to Accord.
Although I haven't sat in RLX, I sat in Accord and I wasn't impressed with interior quality at all. IMO it's even worse than 2007 Civic Si. Panels have the "Detroit" feeling, especially how they are terminated at the ends. Door panels and finish just looks cheap and vinyl-y.

IMO many people will pay $20K more for a much more upscale interior plus all the other bells/whistles and overall quality. This car will not fall apart like BMW 750s (not comparing the class, just an example) after 70K miles and I think RLX is a good keeper for at least 10 years. 2K per year, not too bad when you consider what you get in return.

ding
Profile for ding
Re: The Accord is too good [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-15-2013 15:10
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
TonyE wrote:
Potenza wrote:
...

The RLX should be called Accord Touring Plus and be $35k, the next step above the Accord Touring. There's no way it's a smart purchase for $50-60k.



You really are "cheap" and "poor".



Come on, be real. What do you get for 60K in an BMW or Benz, huh?

And, did you miss the bit about Double Wish Bone front and with All Wheel Drive?

Seriously, you are either pulling our legs for fun or are very "cheap".



I think your being a little harsh Tony. I'm not cheap or poor but I would not pay 50k for this, not that is a bad car. It is a good car that is well equipped (except for not including Nav on the base) I retired early and I don't think I'm poor because I will not spend 50k on a upscale Accord.

Frogger
Profile for Frogger
Re: The Accord is too good [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-15-2013 15:10
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply

Perhaps those are not first interior photos, but first I really looked at, looks like the Accord inside. And some real sore $60k spots, like that block of ice rear center rest (should there be gadget power taps there), the floor mats look 90s low-rent, and even though it may not be, it looks plasticky in there, perhaps the grey is just too much. Small things, but gotta get those right.

Potenza
Profile for Potenza
Re: The Accord is too good [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-15-2013 15:57
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
TonyE wrote:
Potenza wrote:
...

The RLX should be called Accord Touring Plus and be $35k, the next step above the Accord Touring. There's no way it's a smart purchase for $50-60k.



You really are "cheap" and "poor".

Come on, be real. What do you get for 60K in an BMW or Benz, huh?

And, did you miss the bit about Double Wish Bone front and with All Wheel Drive?

Seriously, you are either pulling our legs for fun or are very "cheap".

We're getting into $60k territory without even mentioning the AWD version, which is not out yet, and more expensive still. But Sport Hybrid SH-AWD? That is no Honda Accord, you'll get no argument from me there.

I'm not going to fall into the theoretical, romantic wishbone argument. That does not make or break a car. Plenty of reviewers, from TOV and the rest of the automotive press, have been more than impressed with the Accord's struts, despite being prepared to hate it. The front suspension is not going to transform the heavier RLX into a canyon carver.

If the Accord was 4cyl only, maybe the RLX could be justified. The way it is, I believe the excellent Accord makes the RLX seem like an awful deal.

-I spent the past 3 years driving a Honda with double wishbone suspension and 4WS.
-My dad owns a current RL SH-AWD Tech, which I persuaded him to purchase and which I drive regularly.
-I've seen and sat in and played with the RLX in San Jose last month.

I believe I'm well qualified to give my opinion without being personally criticized.

The Legend
Profile for The Legend
Re: The Accord is too good [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-15-2013 16:26
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
TonyE wrote:
Potenza wrote:
...

The RLX should be called Accord Touring Plus and be $35k, the next step above the Accord Touring. There's no way it's a smart purchase for $50-60k.



You really are "cheap" and "poor".

Come on, be real. What do you get for 60K in an BMW or Benz, huh?

And, did you miss the bit about Double Wish Bone front and with All Wheel Drive?

Seriously, you are either pulling our legs for fun or are very "cheap".




Not to mention RLX has exotic materials in its unibody like aluminum... Where can you find that in a accord besides the wheels?!

And the rlx audio system must be 3-4 tiers above the accord because i hear on driveaccord forum that the 9th gen accord audio is weak and inferior compared to 7 gen accord

dysonlu
Profile for dysonlu
Re: The Accord is too good [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-15-2013 17:00
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Funny how some people say this car should be priced way cheaper because such or such feature they don't like or don't need or are not interested in.


dysonlu
Profile for dysonlu
Re: The Accord is too good [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-15-2013 17:14
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Oh and speaking of cheap, at least with this car (and with most Acuras), the entire side-mirror casing is color-matching the rest of the car. The same cannot be said for the same category or even more expensive BMW, Mercedes and Audi cars -- these have the fugly cheap-looking black plastic parts.
cksi1372
Profile for cksi1372
Re: The Accord is too good [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-15-2013 17:19
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
TonyE wrote:

You really are "cheap" and "poor".

Come on, be real. What do you get for 60K in an BMW or Benz, huh?

And, did you miss the bit about Double Wish Bone front and with All Wheel Drive?

Seriously, you are either pulling our legs for fun or are very "cheap".


That's easy big "T", you can get a pretty well equipped 535i MSport for about $63k...that's MSRP and they ain't going for MSRP. Ok, throw in AWD and it's about $2k more...DWB won't matter in this "race".

The biggest factor here, though, IMO, it's not going to matter what the price of the Benz/BMW is the way they lease support their cars. Ok, not matter that much. The price differential is going to be negligible and most vehicles in this price range are leased. 95% of those buyers (being generous to the RLX) are gonna look at the RLX/5/E/A6 and take the Germans for an extra $50/month.

The RLX has some decent features, but nothing that blows the competition out of the water...and the design is a snoozer. Those financially smart* ARE going to go for the Accord over this and those that want to spend $60k will head to the competition. Nothing Acura is doing here with the RLX is gonna change that...in my humble opinion.

*if they are REALLY, REALLY smart and still want the RLX, they'll wait 2 years and pick up that $60k RLX for $30k...win, win. All those fancy features and cheaper than an Accord. :)

Hondarulez
Profile for Hondarulez
Re: The Accord is too good [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-15-2013 17:51
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
TonyE wrote:
Hondarulez wrote:
Yea I still think it's a bit overpriced. It certainly has tons of features, but starting at nearly $50k, that's just too much. I'd say the closest competitor to the RLX is the Cadillac XTS. And that car starts at $44k. Perhaps the base XTS isn't as loaded as the base RLX, but $44k definitely sounds more reasonable than $49k. I don't mind Acura de-contenting the base RLX even more to reach a starting price of $45k ish.

This is not even considering the rather bland styling which is a crucial part in this segment. It sure looks nice, but the new Accord looks nice too.



Egawds... judging the book by it cover, huh?

Have ever driven an Acura car, even?

The Accord maybe good, just as a PSB Alpha speaker is good, but then you have to contend with the PSB Synchrony One.

Same company and you could argue built with the same voicing decisions but the end result is very different..

And, you are all forgetting something... the RLX is DWB up front still.



I have an Acura but it's a;ready 10 year old!

Obviously I'm in no position to judge the RLX on how well it drives or how comfortable it is as I have never driven one. Because of that, I am not saying the RLX is not worth the money. My main point is that the starting price is too high when compared to some competitors such as the Cadillac XTS. I did not say to change the current $49k pricetag of the RLX base to $44k. I am saying that it might be a good idea to build a even less equipped trim below the current base model and charge $44k for it. That way, when people shop cars, they will see that the RLX starts at $44k, just like the XTS.

The A6 and 5 series for example start at $44k and $48k respectively. You can argue those use less powerful engines to start with. However, there are people who just look at the prices and be like, why is the starting price of an Acura $5k more than an equivalent Audi?



xBeastx
Profile for xBeastx
Re: The Accord is too good [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-15-2013 17:52
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
The RLX is much more upscale than the Accord, especially in the upper grades. It comes with LKAS, ACC with low speed follow, full Blind Spot Information system, and other things you won't find in an Accord Touring. The leather is of much higher quality. The RLX can have FULL LED headlights, rear sunshades, heated rear seats, parking sensors, a 10-speaker BASE audio system (Accord only has 7 speakers -- nothing more than an EX-L), or a 14+ speaker audio system that doesn't compare to the Accord...do I need to go on listing the advantages that the RLX has over the Accord?
Mikeydred
Profile for Mikeydred
Re: The Accord is too good [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-15-2013 17:56
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
I think the reviews are proving a lot of careful thought was put into the RLX even if its a bunch of bandaids as some would say atleast Acura can say they have the best fwd for the money and is good enough to compete with rwd crowd.

I also think the feature content is very strong and certainly worth the money when you see the technology you are getting, some are unpresendent at this price range. The problem is they did not nail the styling so the accord comparison continue similar to the 2nd generation rl. If they were able to separate the styling I don't think we would be calling the RLX an accord touring plus.
I am very impressed with the feature content, even if some items should be available in lesser packages. I also love the new location of the compass in the gauge cluster unless that image is just for lane watch.
Hopefully the awd version will have some differentiation such as integrated mufflers in the bumper and more aggressive rims like the spy shots indicated, but all this is doubtful considering the prototype at NY last year was the awd version.

RHalabi
Profile for RHalabi
Re: The Accord is too good [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-15-2013 18:59
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Mikeydred wrote:
I think the reviews are proving a lot of careful thought was put into the RLX even if its a bunch of bandaids as some would say atleast Acura can say they have the best fwd for the money and is good enough to compete with rwd crowd.

I also think the feature content is very strong and certainly worth the money when you see the technology you are getting, some are unpresendent at this price range. The problem is they did not nail the styling so the accord comparison continue similar to the 2nd generation rl. If they were able to separate the styling I don't think we would be calling the RLX an accord touring plus.
I am very impressed with the feature content, even if some items should be available in lesser packages. I also love the new location of the compass in the gauge cluster unless that image is just for lane watch.
Hopefully the awd version will have some differentiation such as integrated mufflers in the bumper and more aggressive rims like the spy shots indicated, but all this is doubtful considering the prototype at NY last year was the awd version.



rlx is a great car. Honda didn't mess around, YES, it could be better but considering the competition its fine. But it's hard for honda fans to justify anything as they will rationalize to the point that a loaded civic is an rlx to justify their purchases.


Anyone know if the base PAWS goes toe in and toe out under heavy braking for amazing stability or is that just the SH-SH-AWD one?

ding
Profile for ding
Re: The Accord is too good [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-15-2013 19:02
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
cksi1372 wrote:
TonyE wrote:

You really are "cheap" and "poor".

Come on, be real. What do you get for 60K in an BMW or Benz, huh?

And, did you miss the bit about Double Wish Bone front and with All Wheel Drive?

Seriously, you are either pulling our legs for fun or are very "cheap".


That's easy big "T", you can get a pretty well equipped 535i MSport for about $63k...that's MSRP and they ain't going for MSRP. Ok, throw in AWD and it's about $2k more...DWB won't matter in this "race".

The biggest factor here, though, IMO, it's not going to matter what the price of the Benz/BMW is the way they lease support their cars. Ok, not matter that much. The price differential is going to be negligible and most vehicles in this price range are leased. 95% of those buyers (being generous to the RLX) are gonna look at the RLX/5/E/A6 and take the Germans for an extra $50/month.

The RLX has some decent features, but nothing that blows the competition out of the water...and the design is a snoozer. Those financially smart* ARE going to go for the Accord over this and those that want to spend $60k will head to the competition. Nothing Acura is doing here with the RLX is gonna change that...in my humble opinion.

*if they are REALLY, REALLY smart and still want the RLX, they'll wait 2 years and pick up that $60k RLX for $30k...win, win. All those fancy features and cheaper than an Accord. :)

Yes , I can see picking one up off a 3year babied lease for a little over 30k.

MGP999
Profile for MGP999
Re: The Accord is too good [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-15-2013 19:42
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Potenza wrote:
I can't see where anyone could justify spending $20k more than an Accord to get the RLX.

Rear legroom - one of Acura's first bragging points - is almost identical in the Accord. You can get leather, LED headlights, a potent V6 - with much better fuel economy and in a lighter body - in the Accord. Still front wheel drive, still 6AT, no more or less attractive.

Personally the only two things I can even find appealing on the RLX are the P-AWS and the attractive 3-spoke steering wheel. Put those in an Accord Sport, and I'll pocket the extra $25k.



I agree to some degree because after driving a 2013 RDX and a 2012 TL, compared to the 2013 Accord feature-wise and technology-wise, the Accord wins in a lot of categories. However, the new RLX takes everything new about the Accord and takes it up a single notch in most and quite a few notches in features such as interior climate control and audio output. The lights are not that different from touring LEDs, the Navigation is the same, the touch screen audio is almost identical, rain sensing wipers are nice as well as a fully adjustable passenger seat. The interior serenity is probably better with a plushy feeling typical of luxury cars. The hybrid AWD I believe can be a game changer but that remains to be seen.


sadlerau
Profile for sadlerau
Re: The Accord is too good [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-16-2013 00:45
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
RHalabi wrote:
Anyone know if the base PAWS goes toe in and toe out under heavy braking for amazing stability or is that just the SH-SH-AWD one?


I think you will find only the FWD model gets PAWS.

cksi1372
Profile for cksi1372
Re: The Accord is too good [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-16-2013 11:44
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
xBeastx wrote:
The RLX is much more upscale than the Accord, especially in the upper grades. It comes with LKAS, ACC with low speed follow, full Blind Spot Information system, and other things you won't find in an Accord Touring. The leather is of much higher quality. The RLX can have FULL LED headlights, rear sunshades, heated rear seats, parking sensors, a 10-speaker BASE audio system (Accord only has 7 speakers -- nothing more than an EX-L), or a 14+ speaker audio system that doesn't compare to the Accord...do I need to go on listing the advantages that the RLX has over the Accord?


For the price difference, yes...keep going.

You can have the Accord Touring with FCW, ACC and LDW. Agree on the leather. I'm not sure the other things you mention are that big of a deal to most people...LED's, sunshades, parking sensors (Accord T actually can have rear p sensors), and stereo (except for extreme audiophiles).

That said, I don't believe you will get a lot of Accord/RLX cross-shoppers, but the little that you do will not be THAT impressed, IMO, especially for the $ difference. If Acura could have just done something different with their styling, I think it would be a completely different ball game. We shall see...



Gfn8r
Profile for Gfn8r
Re: The Accord is too good [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-16-2013 11:59
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Potenza wrote:
RHalabi wrote:
Potenza wrote:
I can't see where anyone could justify spending $20k more than an Accord to get the RLX.

Rear legroom - one of Acura's first bragging points - is almost identical in the Accord. You can get leather, LED headlights, a potent V6 - with much better fuel economy and in a lighter body - in the Accord. Still front wheel drive, still 6AT, no more or less attractive.

Personally the only two things I can even find appealing on the RLX are the P-AWS and the attractive 3-spoke steering wheel. Put those in an Accord Sport, and I'll pocket the extra $25k.


-paws is awesome
-ventilated seats impossible to live wihout once you had them
-more power
-Krell Audio
-home link can't be had on some top accords i believe... touring 6mt? which is weird since it used to.
-way better headlights for visibility. Jewel Lights.
-dumb but some people care about tube rear tails as a must have or no point to purchase.
-1 touch signals
-accoustic windshield and side doors! amazing
-triple zone climate control

and many other small things you wont notice.

Honda fans are typically frugal. aka cheap and poor. This is why they buy Hondas lets be honest. So they would never get the rlx anyways since the accord has nice things in it...
it doesn't have anything near the rlx but it has a lot of nice things. And to many that means the same thing.


I really like the automatic brake hold on hills. nice one feature.

Saying all that I still believe the RLX is about 6,000 dollars overpriced. hahah

Here in canada they were giving 8k off the 2012 TL's and MDX as the 13's rolled in. So I can see the RLX getting 10,000 off as they sit. Then its a very good buy.

I think it's disingenuous to call Honda fans "cheap and poor." I think we buy Honda products because we are smart; and isn't Acura supposed to be "Smart Luxury?" How can Honda add so many technological features to the Accord while raising its price less than $300, yet we're supposed to believe the further few features of the RLX are worth $25,000?

I don't get your argument of "Jewel Lights." That hits on a issue that I have with the press release itself. What are Jewel Lights? It's just a name. "World's first Jewel-Eye lights." Huh? That's like saying world's first TOV. It's not the first blog, or the first Honda blog, or the first anything... besides the name. Like I said, you can get LED headlights on an Accord, so I can't comprehend paying $25k more for them simply because Acura gives them a proper name.

1-touch signals? I had a Kia Soul rental car with this feature, no joke.

The RLX should be called Accord Touring Plus and be $35k, the next step above the Accord Touring. There's no way it's a smart purchase for $50-60k.



Yup, $34K (at a transaction, "out the door" of ~$32K or $33K) for the Touring of which I'm taking delivery in a couple weeks (build date was this week) isn't cheap!!

Sitting in a TL, then in an Accord at the adjacent Honda area of the auto show last weekend, I confirmed that there isn't a lot of difference between the feel of most of the interior stuff!! (Even if the carpeting and headliner of the Accord are a little cheaper-feeling than I'd like! Then there's the fact that the new car won't have a glovebox light; I've been pulled over at night before, and the cops appreciate being able to SEE into the glovebox as I reach in to get my insurance card out of the front cover of the Owner's Manual!) Remember that you have to spring for the Touring if you want the LED headlights, which gets you basic (no stop-and-go) ACC as well. (Or head over to to driveaccord.net for threads on swapping out to LEDs on other trims--there is a Honda dealer in Cleveland, OH, I believe that is selling kits to swap out to LEDs for both the front AND rear of the Sedan. Don't know if anyone's figured out headlight swaps for the Coupe using the Canadian parts yet.)

Honda nailed the Accord! But remember if you want the extra stuff, you gotta pay! To each their own! :-)

Potenza
Profile for Potenza
Re: The Accord is too good [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-16-2013 13:36
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
cksi1372 wrote:
Those financially smart* ARE going to go for the Accord over this and those that want to spend $60k will head to the competition. Nothing Acura is doing here with the RLX is gonna change that...in my humble opinion.
I agree. I was thinking to myself in simple terms that the "smart" buyers are going to go elsewhere - for a better value or an otherwise better buy - and the "stupid" buyers are going to go elsewhere - for the brand/badge snobbery, flashy appeal, etc. In other words, I fear Acura has positioned itself - again - in no man's land. If it were cheaper, it would sell great. If it were a sexier and more appealing product at its current price point, it would sell great. But where it stands, it's just the RL all over again.

cksi1372 wrote:
*if they are REALLY, REALLY smart and still want the RLX, they'll wait 2 years and pick up that $60k RLX for $30k...win, win. All those fancy features and cheaper than an Accord. :)
This is precisely what my dad did, getting a $55k RL for $25k, with practically no mileage on it. For cheaper than a new Accord, it is absolutely an incredible car, and he couldn't be happier. The RLX, like the RL, is surely a great standalone product. I just don't think it's a very appealing purchase as-is in a competitive new car marketplace.

cksi1372 wrote:
If Acura could have just done something different with their styling, I think it would be a completely different ball game.
I completely agree. As another poster said as well, with more significant styling we wouldn't likely be calling it an Accord Touring Plus, as I did earlier. Styling plays a huge role in people's perceptions and purchasing decisions. Ask everyone from Kia to Aston Martin.


 
Thread Page - [1]
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
30 mobile: 0