[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
All-New 2019 Honda Passport Starts Adventure with Global Debut in Los Angeles
More.......................
2019 CR-V goes on sale with few changes, nominal price increase
2019 Honda Civic Type R and Civic Hatchback Accelerate into Dealerships
American Honda Reports October Sales
Honda Rugged Open Air Vehicle Concept Debuts at 2018 SEMA Show
SEMA: Graham Rahal Injects Style, Power and Performance to Custom Acura RDX A-Spec
NSX GT3 Evo To Compete Globally in 2019
2019 Acura ILX Arrives with Dynamic New Styling, Major Technology Upgrades and New A-Spec Treatment
CR-V --> Re: Oil Contamination in CRV's and Civic's with the 1.5T
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: 2020 Corolla Revealed
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Re: Hydrogen Power coming back into focus?
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: 2019 Acura/Honda Debuts
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda' new BEV
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Re: Unexpected Low Coolant warning/service
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: 2019 Civic MPG Down
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Interview Max Verstappen on F1 and Watches & the new TAG Heuer Verstappen Edition
Join Discussion......
CR-Z --> Re: Honda's Biggest Mistake? Why Now Is The Time To Buy The Misunderstood CR-Z
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: 2019 Advance Squeaks and Camera Issues
Join Discussion......
CR-V --> Re: CR-V Hybrid
Join Discussion......
TSX --> Re: TSX Sportwagon - rear washer not squirting
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Hyundai Veloster N starts at $27,785
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: 2019 Mazda CX-5 Turbo
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2018 Brazilian Grand Prix - Spoilers
Join Discussion......
2019 Acura NSX PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
First Drive: 2019 Acura ILX
2019 Acura ILX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Pilot
2019 Honda Pilot PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Insight

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > General Talk > > Re: Toyota Avalon

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
CivicB18
Profile for CivicB18
Toyota Avalon    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-27-2013 13:59
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
My dad brings home a new Avalon last night and calls me to come over to see what I think of it.

Exterior: more interesting looking as well as more upscale.

Interior: I actually like the interior as its just different. Materials, fit and finish are top notch but the rear seat seemed smaller vs the last generation.

Drivetrain: strong, smooth drivetrain with snappy acceleration.

Dynamics: its still an Avalon but its much more composed vs previous generations.

Build quality: EXCELLENT! The thwump the doors made when closing was Mercedes E/S Class worthy. I opened and closed them at least 10 times!

Of course this is not my type of vehicle but it should do well for its target audience. I give Toyota props for making this car more appealing both aesthetically and dynamically without alienating its customer base.

~Patrick

BachelorFrog
Profile for BachelorFrog
Re: Toyota Avalon    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-27-2013 14:09
CivicB18 wrote:
My dad brings home a new Avalon last night and calls me to come over to see what I think of it.

Interior: I actually like the interior as its just different. Materials, fit and finish are top notch but the rear seat seemed smaller vs the last generation.

Dynamics: its still an Avalon but its much more composed vs previous generations.

Build quality: EXCELLENT! The thwump the doors made when closing was Mercedes E/S Class worthy. I opened and closed them at least 10 times!

Of course this is not my type of vehicle but it should do well for its target audience. I give Toyota props for making this car more appealing both aesthetically and dynamically without alienating its customer base.

~Patrick

Did he cross-shopped with NSX? ;)

superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: Toyota Avalon    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-27-2013 14:24
The cat fish grill leaves a little to be desired. It seems to have the identical drive train from the previous Avalon.

according2kev
Profile for according2kev
Re: Toyota Avalon    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-27-2013 14:45
CivicB18 wrote:

~Patrick

Yep, and with the addition of a hybrid model this car should do well for Toyota. I've seen a few in person and agree it looks better than the outgoing model, grille aside. Also, Toyota isn't holding back on marketing this new model. I see the commericial where the Avalon forms from tinted liquid 50 times a day! Coincidently, it came on as I started my message lol.

Off topic, I noticed Toyota has changed their slogan to "Lets go places." I wonder if this had anything to do with the "moving forward... even when you don't want to" jokes that came after the unintended acceleration debacle.

superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: Toyota Avalon    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-27-2013 15:05
]The cat fish grill leaves a little to be desired (and I wasn't talking about a restaurant). It seems to have the identical drive train from the previous Avalon.

Power Of Dreams
Profile for Power Of Dreams
Re: Toyota Avalon    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-27-2013 17:28
I've been considering whether to get an Avalon or an NSX. Tough decision.
CivicB18
Profile for CivicB18
Re: Toyota Avalon    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-27-2013 18:12
BachelorFrog wrote:
CivicB18 wrote:

~Patrick

Did he cross-shopped with NSX? ;)

I was in the NSX thread and started a new thread not thinking it was the NSX thread. Mods, please move my thread. My apologies.

~Patrick

xBeastx
Profile for xBeastx
Re: Toyota Avalon    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-27-2013 19:08
Power Of Dreams wrote:
I've been considering whether to get an Avalon or an NSX. Tough decision.

Hahahahahaha

DOHCtor
Profile for DOHCtor
Re: Toyota Avalon    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-27-2013 21:20
according2kev wrote:
Off topic, I noticed Toyota has changed their slogan to "Lets go places." I wonder if this had anything to do with the "moving forward... even when you don't want to" jokes that came after the unintended acceleration debacle.
Let's go places ... even when you don't want to

Honda1
Profile for Honda1
Re: Toyota Avalon    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-28-2013 06:54
40K for a loaded Avalon... this is a lot of money.

... and people complain that the RLX is overpriced.

DCR
Profile for DCR
Re: Toyota Avalon    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-28-2013 09:53
Honda1 wrote:

That is probably because it is.

Stating facts is hardly complaining.

Mechanic
Profile for Mechanic
Re: Toyota Avalon    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-28-2013 14:49
Honda1 wrote:

I take it you haven't priced a V-6 Camry XLE in some time? $40K for Toyota's top-of-the-line is ballpark. And they throw in a fish mouth.

On the other hand, $34k for a re-worked 4-cyl. Civic is dumb.

CivicB18
Profile for CivicB18
Re: Toyota Avalon    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-28-2013 19:18
Honda1 wrote:

$40k isn't that bad especially when there are midsize family sedans topping out at $37k (Kia Optima/Ford Fusion).

~Patrick

notyper
Profile for notyper
Re: Toyota Avalon    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-28-2013 20:36
Honda1 wrote:

Keep in mind that said $40k Avalon will have similar legroom/headroom as the RLX (more rear legroom IIRC) and similar acceleration.

Certainly there are some features to be had on the RLX, but the Avalon, and its $50k sibling the ES350, undercut the RLX very effectively IMO.

SC

xBeastx
Profile for xBeastx
Re: Toyota Avalon    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-28-2013 22:27
CivicB18 wrote:
Honda1 wrote:

$40k isn't that bad especially when there are midsize family sedans topping out at $37k (Kia Optima/Ford Fusion).

~Patrick

That makes the Accord seem like an amazing value considering the Ford Fusion Titanium doesn't even have freaking HID headlights! Whereas the Accord for $34,000 has LED headlights.

jshaw
Profile for jshaw
Re: Toyota Avalon    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-29-2013 00:04
xBeastx wrote:
CivicB18 wrote:
Honda1 wrote:

~Patrick

That makes the Accord seem like an amazing value considering the Ford Fusion Titanium doesn't even have freaking HID headlights! Whereas the Accord for $34,000 has LED headlights.

The Fusion has a much nicer parking sensor/camera integrated system (BMW level), AWD optional, and going by web reviews (I'm not in the market for a new sedan, so I'm not going to waste some dealer's time), better handling than the 9G Accord. I still think it's a worse car overall, but if you want to nitpick, there are plenty of things each car doesn't have. At this pricepoint, you just cannot have it all... yet. Well, at least by early 2013 standards of, "all." Later this year, who knows? Maybe the market will love antenna wires, and praise the Fusion for it, ding the Accord for having a shark fin.

jshaw
Profile for jshaw
Re: Toyota Avalon    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-29-2013 00:08
That being said, the Avalon has just about everything I could think of wanting in a car, at 42k USD. Bar one thing: a 40ft turning diameter. The Camry, for reference, has a 36.7 ft diameter, or so. It didn't really matter a lot to me, until I got the land barge that is my X5. 42ft and heavy steering. Compared to my previous car, at 37ft, with light steering? I don't like any of it's city maneuvering. That being said, on the highway, the BMW does the normal trick of feeling much smaller and lighter than it really is.
iNteGRaz92
Profile for iNteGRaz92
Re: Toyota Avalon    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-29-2013 03:13
Honda1 wrote:

they live in a dream world where the rlx fully loaded with the hybrid awd system should cost 40k. if it costs more than that then it's overpriced, even though its competitors start at around the same price. weird.

EXV6
Profile for EXV6
Re: Toyota Avalon    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-29-2013 14:22
I hope your dad is enjoying his luxurious new Avalon. Personally, I really dislike the trendy, Audi-like gaping-grill front end styling that so many carmakers are going for. The fugly new Accord Hybrid even mimics Audi.
JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: Toyota Avalon    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-29-2013 14:33
EXV6 wrote:
I hope your dad is enjoying his luxurious new Avalon. Personally, I really dislike the trendy, Audi-like gaping-grill front end styling that so many carmakers are going for. The fugly new Accord Hybrid even mimics Audi.

I believe his father is a product planner for Toyota.

CivicB18
Profile for CivicB18
Re: Toyota Avalon    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-29-2013 14:50
Jeff wrote:
EXV6 wrote:

I believe his father is a product planner for Toyota.

Correct.

~Patrick

SAR305
Profile for SAR305
Re: Toyota Avalon    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-29-2013 15:20
The interior on these is super slick.
Dren
Profile for Dren
Re: Toyota Avalon    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-29-2013 15:24
My uncle had an Avalon a few years ago. I loved the rear seats. That car seemed almost like a Lexus for a bit less. The new ones aren't that bad looking.

Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
29 mobile: 0