[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
2019 Acura MDX Arrives with Luxury and Performance Upgrades Plus First A-Spec Variant
More.......................
SPIED IN EUROPE! Civic Type R refresh
American Honda Sets New June Sales Records on Strength of Light Trucks
Honda reveals refreshed 2019 HR-V and Pilot
Acura TLX GT wins class and places 3rd overall at 2018 Pikes Peak International Hill Climb
Spied on the Street! 2019 Pilot and Pilot PHEV mule
All-New 2019 Honda Insight Brings Style, Sophistication and 55 mpg City Rating
It's Official: Honda to supply Red Bull Racing in Formula One from 2019
General Talk --> Re: Trying to decide on color
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: I'm in a 2019 RDX Advance this week. Any specific questions while I have it?
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda new teaser ad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: 2019 Supra may get 4cyl
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: DC-R
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Zak Brown: 2018 McLaren ‘weaker than last year’s car’
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Munro says Model 3 has >30% gross margin
Join Discussion......
ILX --> Re: 2019 ILX
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: MotoGP - Assen TT (you should watch)
Join Discussion......
Insight --> Re: My next car?
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: New RDX vs NX Infomercial
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: Such a damn nice car
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: Type-R Fascia Changes spotted at Nurburgring
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Re: Marauding Mirais
Join Discussion......
Hot Deals --> Great lightning deal on Anker ROAV C1 Pro (2k resolution) dashcam - $75
Join Discussion......
First Drive: 2019 Honda Insight
Read Article....................
2019 Honda Insight PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura RDX
2019 Acura RDX Features & Specifications
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX Advance
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX A-Spec

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > RL / Legend > > Re: RLX to get audio by Krell!?

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1] 2
Author
  Post New Thread
Colin
Profile for Colin
RLX to get audio by Krell!?    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-10-2012 14:43
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
In the most recent Acura Style magazine, there is what looks like an ad (and I suppose it is) for Krell. However, the copy talks about Krell's commitment to audio and uses the tag line, "the hard part was fitting it all into an RLX" Interesting.
longhorn
Profile for longhorn
Re: RLX to get audio by Krell!?    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-10-2012 17:34
I wander who the supplier is, Alpine? Harmon? Or even Panasonic. Using the name of a recording studion engineer never made much sense to me, maybe Panasonic is moving on to an actual company, just as they did with Fender for VW.
Mikeydred
Profile for Mikeydred
Re: RLX to get audio by Krell!?    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-10-2012 20:00
longhorn wrote:
I wander who the supplier is, Alpine? Harmon? Or even Panasonic. Using the name of a recording studion engineer never made much sense to me, maybe Panasonic is moving on to an actual company, just as they did with Fender for VW.

The base RLX will still have els. Regardless if the name sounds weird els
is still one if the top 3 in the industry.

xBeastx
Profile for xBeastx
Re: RLX to get audio by Krell!?    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-10-2012 21:23
Mikeydred wrote:
longhorn wrote:

ELS is Panasonic.

longhorn
Profile for longhorn
Re: RLX to get audio by Krell!?    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-10-2012 22:47
Mikeydred wrote:
longhorn wrote:

No doubt, the Panasonic engineer who designed the sytem is a winner of many aftermarket soundoffs. That engineer also designed the Fender systems in the VWs (compare the Accord EXL sound system to that of the VW Passat, not contest.) Marketing wise, I can see why they went with Krell, even though they are keeping ELS as a base system.

It will be interesting to see who Krell is sourcing the components from, it could be Panasonic, Visteon, or Harmon.

Colin
Profile for Colin
Re: RLX to get audio by Krell!?    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-11-2012 04:34
longhorn wrote:

It will be interesting to see how it pans out. I'm sure that Krell won't manufacture the hardware. Most likely, they'll add engineering and probably spec out the system in exchange for the weight of their name. Most likely the actual manufacture of the hardware will be a familiar OEM that they use now.

However, I don't see how this could be a bad move. I know Krell loves high current amps. Wouldn't it be wild if they were tapping the reserve power of the IMA battery to really deliver some amperage? I know that's probably just a dream, but I can't help but wonder why they're getting in the game now? What has changed that they want to make car audio? Back when Lexus launched, they got Nakamichi but Nak was already in the car audio business at the time so it was easy for them. Same with Alpine and H/A decks and alarms. Heck back then, Panasonic was OEMing for Alpine branded decks.

Mikeydred
Profile for Mikeydred
Re: RLX to get audio by Krell!?    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-11-2012 11:08
xAbSoLuTexZeRo wrote:
Mikeydred wrote:
longhorn wrote:

ELS is Panasonic.

I know I was responding to the quote that it was weird to have a system
named after a sound engineer.

eneka
Profile for eneka
Re: RLX to get audio by Krell!?    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-11-2012 16:57
I wonder how much it'll cost.
B&O audio system offered by BMW is $3700 and on the s550 is $6400...those rising tweeters are pretty nifty..haha

longhorn
Profile for longhorn
Re: RLX to get audio by Krell!?    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-12-2012 09:06
Colin wrote:
longhorn wrote:

It will be interesting to see how it pans out. I'm sure that Krell won't manufacture the hardware. Most likely, they'll add engineering and probably spec out the system in exchange for the weight of their name. Most likely the actual manufacture of the hardware will be a familiar OEM that they use now.

However, I don't see how this could be a bad move. I know Krell loves high current amps. Wouldn't it be wild if they were tapping the reserve power of the IMA battery to really deliver some amperage? I know that's probably just a dream, but I can't help but wonder why they're getting in the game now? What has changed that they want to make car audio? Back when Lexus launched, they got Nakamichi but Nak was already in the car audio business at the time so it was easy for them. Same with Alpine and H/A decks and alarms. Heck back then, Panasonic was OEMing for Alpine branded decks.

Yes, that would be wild and be "outside the box" marketing.
Regarding the Nak, it was how an OEM callaboration should have been done. Use the exact drivers Nak sold in the aftermarket, with Nak making the amps and headunit too. It would still rival system today that have to resort to DSP sorcery to make their cheap drivers sound descent.

Kool Aid
Profile for Kool Aid
Re: RLX to get audio by Krell!?    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-30-2012 16:46
Colin wrote:
In the most recent Acura Style magazine, there is what looks like an ad (and I suppose it is) for Krell. However, the copy talks about Krell's commitment to audio and uses the tag line, "the hard part was fitting it all into an RLX" Interesting.

Krell talks about the drivers they're using.

xBeastx
Profile for xBeastx
Re: RLX to get audio by Krell!?    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-30-2012 18:27
eneka wrote:
B&O audio system offered by BMW is $3700 and on the s550 is $6400...those rising tweeters are pretty nifty..haha

B&O is the best in my opinion. Even though I've never heard it in real life, hearing the sound through the Beats audio built into my laptop blew me away. They are crazy expensive though...just looking at the BeoLab 5 stereo speakers (used) on Amazon brings the price up to $8,000. Their stuff is so expensive that they don't even list the prices on their website.

Lindy
Profile for Lindy
Re: RLX to get audio by Krell!?    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-30-2012 20:01
Really? "Hearing it through the Beats audio...." Are you serious?
Lindy
Profile for Lindy
Re: RLX to get audio by Krell!?    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-30-2012 20:02
Really? "hearing the sound through my Beats audio...." Are you serious?
TSX69
Profile for TSX69
Re: RLX to get audio by Krell!?    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-30-2012 21:21

xBeastx
Profile for xBeastx
Re: RLX to get audio by Krell!?    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-30-2012 21:55
Lindy wrote:
Really? "hearing the sound through my Beats audio...." Are you serious?

Lol calm down, I tried to make it clear that it was the speakers on my laptop, not the headphones. It's better than most crappy built-in laptop speakers. The picture is not mine. It's just some random picture off the net, but it is the exact laptop I have.

TR
Profile for TR
Re: RLX to get audio by Krell!?    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-30-2012 22:13
His question still stands.
You can't be serious with this comment. To evaluate a sound system you gotta be right there in person

sadlerau
Profile for sadlerau
Re: RLX to get audio by Krell!?    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-31-2012 10:21
xBeastx wrote:
eneka wrote:

B&O is the best in my opinion. Even though I've never heard it in real life, hearing the sound through the Beats audio built into my laptop blew me away. They are crazy expensive though...just looking at the BeoLab 5 stereo speakers (used) on Amazon brings the price up to $8,000. Their stuff is so expensive that they don't even list the prices on their website.

Bought my first B&O system - Beocenter 7000 with Beovox speakers [ http://www.beoworld.org/prod_details.asp?pid=404 ] circa 1980, paid AUS$3,800 back then [could have bought a Civic for not much more!] At the time the sound was unbelievably good.

I have not experienced the B&O sound system in the A8, but I have heard the system in the Q5 on a road test - and at an $2,000 option I was not impressed. Maybe I didn't spend enough time in the car to get the right settings, but it didn't sound anywhere near as good as the sound from the Bose system in my '06 Legend. But then the optional [$2,000] Bose system in my brand new Audi A6 doesn't sound as good as the Legend's!

RHalabi
Profile for RHalabi
Re: RLX to get audio by Krell!?    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-31-2012 12:53
lol @ beats audio.
eneka
Profile for eneka
Re: RLX to get audio by Krell!?    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-31-2012 14:23
sadlerau wrote:
xBeastx wrote:
eneka wrote:

Bought my first B&O system - Beocenter 7000 with Beovox speakers [ http://www.beoworld.org/prod_details.asp?pid=404 ] circa 1980, paid AUS$3,800 back then [could have bought a Civic for not much more!] At the time the sound was unbelievably good.

I have not experienced the B&O sound system in the A8, but I have heard the system in the Q5 on a road test - and at an $2,000 option I was not impressed. Maybe I didn't spend enough time in the car to get the right settings, but it didn't sound anywhere near as good as the sound from the Bose system in my '06 Legend. But then the optional [$2,000] Bose system in my brand new Audi A6 doesn't sound as good as the Legend's!

I was able to try out the B&O sound system from the A7 at the LA Autoshow....kinda...the tweeters were jammed and all there was to play was the crappy FM reception inside the convention center.

TSX69
Profile for TSX69
Re: RLX to get audio by Krell!?    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-22-2013 19:36
ESP Studio Premium Audio System Debuts in New Acura Vehicles
Expanding on its rich heritage of leadership in audio technology, Panasonic Automotive Systems Company of America is launching the newest generation of its acclaimed ELS audio brand — the ELS Studio Premium Audio System. The system made its debut at the LA Auto Show in November on the all-new 2014 Acura RLX and appears in the MDX prototype that Acura revealed at the auto show. ELS Studio embodies nine years of relentless improvement to recreate the emotional experience of the recording studio.

2014 ELS Studio/RLX System highlights:

Hybrid, Titanium Dome Tweeters reproduce a wide frequency range and low distortion
8cm Super Dynamic Range Speaker with double press polypropylene cone providing low distortion and extended bass
17cm Super Dynamic Range Speakers in the front and rear door featuring extremely lightweight designs
20cm Super Low Distortion Driver (SLDD) Subwoofer with extended bass response
Multi-Channel Power Amplifier with 588 watts and powerful DSP for sound quality enhancements and independent control of front and rear door tweeters

TSX69
Profile for TSX69
Re: RLX to get audio by Krell!?    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-24-2013 10:37

A77
Profile for A77
Re: RLX to get audio by Krell!?    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-24-2013 15:40
The B&O system I heard in my brother's Q5 was the best system I have experienced in a car. And I am not a B&O fan (and I detest Bose - going right back to the original 901s in tyhe early 70s). I have always believed B&O was too much about style and not enough substance. Sound Ok but not great. Looking forward to trying out the Krell in an RLX and hoping its a TLX offering.
sadlerau
Profile for sadlerau
Re: RLX to get audio by Krell!?    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-24-2013 18:18
A77 wrote:
The B&O system I heard in my brother's Q5 was the best system I have experienced in a car. And I am not a B&O fan (and I detest Bose - going right back to the original 901s in tyhe early 70s). I have always believed B&O was too much about style and not enough substance. Sound Ok but not great. Looking forward to trying out the Krell in an RLX and hoping its a TLX offering.

You've never listened to the Bose system in the '06 RLegendo? To my ears, it is still one of the nicest sounding systems I've heard. Perhaps it's the music I listen to? :)

Edward
Profile for Edward
Re: RLX to get audio by Krell!?    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-25-2013 11:05
I suppose the issue is more personal preference. Don't you think? By the way, ELS in my 2012 TSX Wagon sounds so good, but I also love the sound of my 2005 MDX Bose system...
JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: RLX to get audio by Krell!?    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-25-2013 12:45
Edward wrote:
I suppose the issue is more personal preference. Don't you think? By the way, ELS in my 2012 TSX Wagon sounds so good, but I also love the sound of my 2005 MDX Bose system...

I'm a huge fan of ELS, especially in the sedan/TSX Sportwagon applications. It's pretty good in the MDX. The RDX's ELS seemed to be not quite as good but maybe it was the RDX's more noisy driving environment that spoiled it a bit for me.

Bose in the '05-'12 RL is decent but I personally don't think it matches up to the ELS standards. I messed around with the Krell system at the NAIAS and it seemed quite nice. I didn't do any critical listening but it will be interesting to audition it back to back with the new ELS and ELS Studio systems in the RLX. The Krell tacks $2500 onto the RLX's price - but there's a couple other features included with that.

WongKN
Profile for WongKN
Re: RLX to get audio by Krell!?    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-26-2013 02:12
In the audiophile/'hifi' circle, krell is a traditional well known brand, classified as 'high end', rather like what a Ferrari means to cars. However with the departure of Dan D'Agostino, Krell is maybe not held in as high esteem as before. Krell's main focus remains electronics and their short 'experiments' with speakers wasn't totally successful. At one time, Krells had a tendency to fail but apparently they rehired some engineers who left and their reliability has improved. Nevertheless, home hifi is quite different from car hifi so it remains to be seen, or heard, how good it will be. Lexus on the other hand uses Mark Levinson electronics, another high end hifi brand and they sounded quite acceptable.
A77
Profile for A77
Re: RLX to get audio by Krell!?    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-26-2013 19:47
sadlerau wrote:
A77 wrote:

You've never listened to the Bose system in the '06 RLegendo? To my ears, it is still one of the nicest sounding systems I've heard. Perhaps it's the music I listen to? :)

Nope - I thought the car manufacturers actually paid Bose to use their name as a marketing thing...maybe an exaggeration...I have only heard it in a TT (if I remember right) and it was pretty average. I thought.

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: RLX to get audio by Krell!?    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-01-2013 19:48
Jeff wrote:
Edward wrote:

I'm a huge fan of ELS, especially in the sedan/TSX Sportwagon applications. It's pretty good in the MDX. The RDX's ELS seemed to be not quite as good but maybe it was the RDX's more noisy driving environment that spoiled it a bit for me.

Bose in the '05-'12 RL is decent but I personally don't think it matches up to the ELS standards. I messed around with the Krell system at the NAIAS and it seemed quite nice. I didn't do any critical listening but it will be interesting to audition it back to back with the new ELS and ELS Studio systems in the RLX. The Krell tacks $2500 onto the RLX's price - but there's a couple other features included with that.

Well, Shawn disagrees with me on this... He thinks a car if for driving and looking at... but sometimes, it's also to listen in.

I maintain that a $60000 RLX parked in your garage with a 12V charger makes one hell of a High End system. Enough to justify it solely as an audio room.

Might even park your turntable and phono preamp right inside the house and run a good wire to the AUX input of the Krell... Actually, keep the preamplifier in the house, keep it at a nice 2VDC peak signal output (in essence your preamp becomes the switch control for your sources). This is the standard level for most home audio components so there won't be much degradation or noise even in what admittedly will be an expensive 30 foot pair of audio cables.

Then use the volume control of the Krell as main preamp.

Two very comfy listening chairs, system tuned built and tuned by Krell... it will probably sound as good or better than most High End systems... and at a reasonable cost.

After all, "The Room" is often the biggest problem with Audio Systems.

And in the garage, in your car, you can ignore the family using your system to listen to Netflix downloads.

jshaw
Profile for jshaw
Re: RLX to get audio by Krell!?    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-01-2013 21:14
TonyE wrote:
Well, Shawn disagrees with me on this... He thinks a car if for driving and looking at... but sometimes, it's also to listen in.

I maintain that a $60000 RLX parked in your garage with a 12V charger makes one hell of a High End system. Enough to justify it solely as an audio room.

Might even park your turntable and phono preamp right inside the house and run a good wire to the AUX input of the Krell... Actually, keep the preamplifier in the house, keep it at a nice 2VDC peak signal output (in essence your preamp becomes the switch control for your sources). This is the standard level for most home audio components so there won't be much degradation or noise even in what admittedly will be an expensive 30 foot pair of audio cables.

Two very comfy listening chairs, system tuned built and tuned by Krell... it will probably sound as good or better than most High End systems... and at a reasonable cost.

And in the garage, in your car, you can ignore the family using your system to listen to Netflix downloads.

I will never admit to doing anything like that in my Toyota's JBL setup (hey - all audio quality is relative!).

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: RLX to get audio by Krell!?    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-03-2013 17:19
jshaw wrote:
TonyE wrote:

I will never admit to doing anything like that in my Toyota's JBL setup (hey - all audio quality is relative!).

Audio QUALITY is NOT RELEVANT... It is THE ABSOLUTE SOUND.

"The sound of a real acoustic ensemble in a real hall"

All High End reproduction, regardless of price (*), shoots for that goal. True High End will be guilty of omission, never of comission.

Meaning, a High End speaker designer will cut off the bass early in order to maintain purity of the midrange and treble if cost becomes an issue. A Mass Market speaker designer will give loose, boomy bass: BOOM BOOM!.

The Harman Kardon Group owns some very good companies

http://www.harman.com/EN-US/Solutions/Harmanbrands/Pages/AKG.aspx

But JBL is NOT Krell. The JBL L100 was never High End. By comparison, the ADS L810 was... Guess which ones I still own? single owner, btw.

Revel, Levinson, Lexicon, Studer, yes.. all claim true High End Status.

But Krell is a more complete brand. It designs and manufactures a complete chain of components.

OTOH, if playing your Toyota's JBL stereo in your garage is your thing and you enjoy it... hey who am I to complain? ;-)

High Price IS RELEVANT. There are components with High End aspirations that don't cost too much.. my Nuforce HDP for example... which I got at 400 bucks, Grado headphones at 300 bucks, the PSB speaker line, my Magnepan 12s, etc.

Naturally, High End prices are relevant. To me, to pay 700 bucks for a used pair of Magnepan 12s, which retail new for 1200 -in itself one of the High End's bargains- was a screaming deal.

Thread Page - [1] 2
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
30 mobile: 0