[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
Spied on the Street! 2019 Pilot and Pilot PHEV mule
More.......................
All-New 2019 Honda Insight Brings Style, Sophistication and 55 mpg City Rating
More.......................
It's Official: Honda to supply Red Bull Racing in Formula One from 2019
More.......................
Will the next-gen TLX bring back double wishbones? Or a Plugin Hybrid model?
More.......................
Acura tackles Pikes Peak with 2019 RDX, NSX, and TLX entries
More.......................
Honda Partners on General Motorsí Next Gen Battery Development
More.......................
Trucks Set Records as Core Products Deliver American Honda May Sales Gains
More.......................
First in a Generation: All-New 2019 Acura RDX Arrives in Showrooms June 1
More.......................
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2018 French Grand Prix
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: 3rd Generation Acura RDX Reviews
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: 2019 Volvo S60
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: 2019 Chevy Blazer Revealed As A Sporty Crossover
Join Discussion......
Classifieds: Buy & Sell --> Re: 1999 Zanardi NSX 6MT, 2008 CR S2000 for sale
Join Discussion......
MDX --> Re: Camera directed car toward oncoming traffic after windshield replacement
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Nikkei: Battery wars: Japan teams up for next-gen electric cars
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: 2018 World Cup
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Next gen RLX and ILX
Join Discussion......
Insight --> Re: 3rd Generation Honda Insight Reviews
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: DC-R
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Some juicy Acura info!!!
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Accord 2.0T Touring or Kia Stinger 2.0T Premium?
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Autobild report: Red Bull switching to Honda
Join Discussion......
TOV Asia --> Re: JP CR-V to debut with 1.5L iMMD, 3rd row option
Join Discussion......
First Drive: 2019 Honda Insight
Read Article....................
2019 Honda Insight PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
First Drive: 2019 Acura RDX
Read Article....................
2019 Acura RDX Features & Specifications
Read Article....................
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX Advance
Read Article....................
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX A-Spec
Read Article....................

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
  TOV News > 2013 Accord order page reveals new Sport trim, confirms 6AT, CVT and 6MT transmissions > > Re: V6 Horsepower?

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
    
BachelorFrog
Profile for BachelorFrog
V6 Horsepower? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-07-2012 18:47
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Since the new V6 is part of EDT, any idea how much power will it make?
C&D estimated that it will have at least 308 hp and 266 lb-ft of torque.

99SI
Profile for 99SI
Re: V6 Horsepower? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-07-2012 19:03
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Not anything over 280 unless the base 3.5 is dropped from the TL option sheet....
Ganplosive
Profile for Ganplosive
Re: V6 Horsepower? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-07-2012 19:07
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
^ what 99SI said. It's how Honda has been operating
dmarks
Profile for dmarks
Re: V6 Horsepower? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-07-2012 19:17
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
It will continue to be disappointing when compared to competitors, but real world driving satisfaction will be excellent. My unscientific wild ass guess is 278hp and 260lb-ft. Honda keeps promising more power, but they are really focused on fuel economy. We get crap like additional 4hp in the minivan and they call if 'more powerful.' Honda will tout the new Accord V6 as the 'Most Powerful, Most Fuel Efficent Accord Ever'. That and the Pilot will still limp along with partly 250hp / 5sp auto combo.
VTEC_Inside
Profile for VTEC_Inside
Re: V6 Horsepower? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-07-2012 19:25
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
99SI wrote:
Not anything over 280 unless the base 3.5 is dropped from the TL option sheet....


The Accord V6 has had more power than the TL in the past.

I can't remember the years, but the base TL had the 3.2L rated at 225hp and the Accord had the 3.0L at 240hp.

according2kev
Profile for according2kev
Re: V6 Horsepower? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-07-2012 20:01
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
dmarks wrote:
It will continue to be disappointing when compared to competitors, but real world driving satisfaction will be excellent. My unscientific wild ass guess is 278hp and 260lb-ft. Honda keeps promising more power, but they are really focused on fuel economy. We get crap like additional 4hp in the minivan and they call if 'more powerful.' Honda will tout the new Accord V6 as the 'Most Powerful, Most Fuel Efficent Accord Ever'.


Really? Whatís so disappointing? Even if the Accordís power figures only rise to 278hp/260lb-ft, this is still competitive with others V6s or turbo 4s. Keep in mind that the Accord will lose weight and get an extra gear, both of which can help acceleration.

Though it doesnít have VCM, the Camry V6 has less hp and tq than your estimate(and current Accord I believe) and itís no slouch. Also, from what Iíve read about the RDX, it seems Honda may have figured out a way to make VCM less of a drag on acceleration.

xBeastx
Profile for xBeastx
Re: V6 Horsepower? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-07-2012 20:01
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
If this new Accord will have 308 hp, then it will have even more power than any of the current Acuras. That is...until the RLX arrives.
BachelorFrog
Profile for BachelorFrog
Re: V6 Horsepower? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-07-2012 20:11
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
VTEC_Inside wrote:
99SI wrote:
Not anything over 280 unless the base 3.5 is dropped from the TL option sheet....

The Accord V6 has had more power than the TL in the past.

I can't remember the years, but the base TL had the 3.2L rated at 225hp and the Accord had the 3.0L at 240hp.

I dont see a problem of Accord having more power than TL. TLX concept will debut next year so it wont be affecting TL sales in anyway.
And along with ILX, I think all Acura line-up will also get some bump in hp from EDT.

DrWhiner
Profile for DrWhiner
Re: V6 Horsepower? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-07-2012 21:27
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
BachelorFrog wrote:
Since the new V6 is part of EDT, any idea how much power will it make?
C&D estimated that it will have at least 308 hp and 266 lb-ft of torque.

C&D's guess is as good as yours.
I think that's probably the output inside an Acura, i.e. using premium gas.

Honda's word is at least 5% more output.

99SI
Profile for 99SI
Re: V6 Horsepower? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-07-2012 21:27
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
I don't either however I am skeptical. Hope I am wrong. However I must say I think 270hp is more than aqequate and I think most folks would love to see 4-5mpg on top of current v6 models vs an addl 30hp.

As for the accord and the tl there was one year 2003 where the accord was 240 and the base tl 225. The very next year the tl came out with a 270hp 3.2l.

DrWhiner
Profile for DrWhiner
Re: V6 Horsepower? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-07-2012 21:29
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Ganplosive wrote:
^ what 99SI said. It's how Honda has been operating
Are you two willing to bet?

cforez
Profile for cforez
Re: V6 Horsepower? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-07-2012 22:15
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
When the 8th gen Accord came out, the V6 model had more hp than the base TL.
40mpg
Profile for 40mpg
Re: V6 Horsepower? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-07-2012 22:50
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
99SI wrote:
I don't either however I am skeptical. Hope I am wrong. However I must say I think 270hp is more than aqequate and I think most folks would love to see 4-5mpg on top of current v6 models vs an addl 30hp.

As for the accord and the tl there was one year 2003 where the accord was 240 and the base tl 225. The very next year the tl came out with a 270hp 3.2l.



There was TL type S with 260hp

nash24
Profile for nash24
Re: V6 Horsepower? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-08-2012 05:59
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
On Honda's Earthdream slides posted here earlier it showed over 310hp and 265 torque so C&D just prolly using those figures as a guide


Hondarulez
Profile for Hondarulez
Re: V6 Horsepower? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-08-2012 12:21
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
2003 tl: 225hp
2003 accord: 240hp

2008 TL: 258hp
2008 Accord: 271hp

There were Type S trims back then but not now.

If engine displacement continues to be 3.5L, I don't think the hp will be lower than now. Honda said 310hp+ for the new 3.5L engine. Even with 280hp only, it will still be one of the most powerful engines. Combined that with new 6AT and perhaps 100lb less weight, performance and fuel economy should be significantly improved.

TheGandalf
Profile for TheGandalf
Re: V6 Horsepower? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-08-2012 17:07
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
I don't think that at launch the V6 will be part of the EDT series.
When you look at the press releases, it is clear that the I4 is a DI engine from the EDT series.

However, about the V6 they mention a certain power gain and incresed fuel economy, but there is no indication about DI, or it being EDT.
I think they are reserving the V6 EDT for Acura for the time being. The accord would get it maybe by the mid cycle refresh...

Of course, I could be wrong. It has happened before... A lot :)

owequitit
Profile for owequitit
Re: V6 Horsepower? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-08-2012 19:36
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
99SI wrote:
Not anything over 280 unless the base 3.5 is dropped from the TL option sheet....


First, a FWD Accord honestly doesn't need more than 280HP. Even the 244HP 7th gen V6 had plenty of power, and with an extra gear, it would escape the main complaints I could levy against that powertrain, which was a hole between 2nd and 3rd gear during rolling situations.

That said, the 8th gen is a little under-powered given the change from 3.0-3.5L (which provide effectively ZERO extra acceleration compared to the 7th gen). But again, it isn't entirely peak power that is lacking. It is primarily the fact that a VCM equipped J35 has compromised low and mid-range power compared to the non-VCM versions. Due to having to compromise on cam tuning, they also have notably less top end than the non-VCM versions. If Honda increases "peak" HP by 7 HP or so (a round 280), but manages to get the low, mid and top end to behave like a non-VCM J35 V6, I think the car will EASILY have the best in class powertrain. It is already exceptionally smooth and refined. The additional gear will allow them to expand VCM functionality, and the car won't suck everytime it isn't using VCM. Consider that the current coupe V6 6MT is capable of a high 13-low 14 second 1/4 mile at ~100MPH in a car that is actually quite heavy and VERY traction limited. Even if you add .5 second to the 1/4 mile value, that still puts the Accord at the head of the pack. It will be much more refined than the turbo fours (as well as more powerful on paper). Also consider that older versions of the J series made pretty much peak torque from 2K-6.2K, and torque delivery is NOT a problem.

Even without VCM that coupe is capable of over 30MPG real world highway. With all of the other changes, I would expect the sedan to do at least that. I would sure as hell take a powertrain that responds like our 7th gens, but has a lot more punch in a similar sized car without hesitation.

I don't know if DI will be included in the Honda version, but frankly, I don't think it will make that much of a difference on the overall output. Since outputs in this category are usually incremental advances, I would expect ~280/260 to be just about spot on. Of course, I think the total potential for increased performance is likely also (even barring weight reduction).


NSXforever
Profile for NSXforever
Re: V6 Horsepower? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-10-2012 11:52
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Yeah I would prefer the focus on MPG and not power or acceleration. At this point it seems selling 40 MPG is more impressive than saying 300hp. Who needs 300hp in an Accord? Heck 270hp seems more than enough.


amagbanua
Profile for amagbanua
Re: V6 Horsepower? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-13-2012 10:04
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
owequitit wrote:
99SI wrote:
Not anything over 280 unless the base 3.5 is dropped from the TL option sheet....


First, a FWD Accord honestly doesn't need more than 280HP. Even the 244HP 7th gen V6 had plenty of power, and with an extra gear, it would escape the main complaints I could levy against that powertrain, which was a hole between 2nd and 3rd gear during rolling situations.

That said, the 8th gen is a little under-powered given the change from 3.0-3.5L (which provide effectively ZERO extra acceleration compared to the 7th gen). But again, it isn't entirely peak power that is lacking. It is primarily the fact that a VCM equipped J35 has compromised low and mid-range power compared to the non-VCM versions. Due to having to compromise on cam tuning, they also have notably less top end than the non-VCM versions. If Honda increases "peak" HP by 7 HP or so (a round 280), but manages to get the low, mid and top end to behave like a non-VCM J35 V6, I think the car will EASILY have the best in class powertrain. It is already exceptionally smooth and refined. The additional gear will allow them to expand VCM functionality, and the car won't suck everytime it isn't using VCM. Consider that the current coupe V6 6MT is capable of a high 13-low 14 second 1/4 mile at ~100MPH in a car that is actually quite heavy and VERY traction limited. Even if you add .5 second to the 1/4 mile value, that still puts the Accord at the head of the pack. It will be much more refined than the turbo fours (as well as more powerful on paper). Also consider that older versions of the J series made pretty much peak torque from 2K-6.2K, and torque delivery is NOT a problem.

Even without VCM that coupe is capable of over 30MPG real world highway. With all of the other changes, I would expect the sedan to do at least that. I would sure as hell take a powertrain that responds like our 7th gens, but has a lot more punch in a similar sized car without hesitation.

I don't know if DI will be included in the Honda version, but frankly, I don't think it will make that much of a difference on the overall output. Since outputs in this category are usually incremental advances, I would expect ~280/260 to be just about spot on. Of course, I think the total potential for increased performance is likely also (even barring weight reduction).




VCM to me is another worthless engineering exercise designed to game EPA ratings. Our 2010 Pilot at a curb weight of 4300 lbs with VCM, averages around 16 MPG with my driving my daily commute. Our 4500 lbs 2009 Ridgeline, without VCM, averages 18 MPG on the same route with also me driving. Not to mention the engine in the ridge has MUCH better mid-range torque than the Pilot and doesn't have the pesky and noticeable VCM changes on the highway. So my personal experience mirrors yours.

DrWhiner
Profile for DrWhiner
Re: V6 Horsepower? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-13-2012 17:58
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Just try

the new

RDX


Hondarulez
Profile for Hondarulez
Re: V6 Horsepower? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-14-2012 14:26
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
amagbanua wrote:
owequitit wrote:
99SI wrote:
Not anything over 280 unless the base 3.5 is dropped from the TL option sheet....


First, a FWD Accord honestly doesn't need more than 280HP. Even the 244HP 7th gen V6 had plenty of power, and with an extra gear, it would escape the main complaints I could levy against that powertrain, which was a hole between 2nd and 3rd gear during rolling situations.

That said, the 8th gen is a little under-powered given the change from 3.0-3.5L (which provide effectively ZERO extra acceleration compared to the 7th gen). But again, it isn't entirely peak power that is lacking. It is primarily the fact that a VCM equipped J35 has compromised low and mid-range power compared to the non-VCM versions. Due to having to compromise on cam tuning, they also have notably less top end than the non-VCM versions. If Honda increases "peak" HP by 7 HP or so (a round 280), but manages to get the low, mid and top end to behave like a non-VCM J35 V6, I think the car will EASILY have the best in class powertrain. It is already exceptionally smooth and refined. The additional gear will allow them to expand VCM functionality, and the car won't suck everytime it isn't using VCM. Consider that the current coupe V6 6MT is capable of a high 13-low 14 second 1/4 mile at ~100MPH in a car that is actually quite heavy and VERY traction limited. Even if you add .5 second to the 1/4 mile value, that still puts the Accord at the head of the pack. It will be much more refined than the turbo fours (as well as more powerful on paper). Also consider that older versions of the J series made pretty much peak torque from 2K-6.2K, and torque delivery is NOT a problem.

Even without VCM that coupe is capable of over 30MPG real world highway. With all of the other changes, I would expect the sedan to do at least that. I would sure as hell take a powertrain that responds like our 7th gens, but has a lot more punch in a similar sized car without hesitation.

I don't know if DI will be included in the Honda version, but frankly, I don't think it will make that much of a difference on the overall output. Since outputs in this category are usually incremental advances, I would expect ~280/260 to be just about spot on. Of course, I think the total potential for increased performance is likely also (even barring weight reduction).




VCM to me is another worthless engineering exercise designed to game EPA ratings. Our 2010 Pilot at a curb weight of 4300 lbs with VCM, averages around 16 MPG with my driving my daily commute. Our 4500 lbs 2009 Ridgeline, without VCM, averages 18 MPG on the same route with also me driving. Not to mention the engine in the ridge has MUCH better mid-range torque than the Pilot and doesn't have the pesky and noticeable VCM changes on the highway. So my personal experience mirrors yours.



Yea that's the problem with the Old VCM...the new one, as in the one in the RDX, seems to be much improved, especially mid range torque.

ClementZ
Profile for ClementZ
Re: V6 Horsepower? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-19-2012 14:32
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
99SI wrote:
Not anything over 280 unless the base 3.5 is dropped from the TL option sheet....


Actually, it doesn't matter.
The TLX is being unveiled next year.
And Honda has gone in the past with the Accord making more HP than an Acura.
The TLX should make much more power.


 
Thread Page - [1]
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
30 mobile: 0