[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
NSX GT3 Evo To Compete Globally in 2019
More.......................
2019 Acura ILX Arrives with Dynamic New Styling, Major Technology Upgrades and New A-Spec Treatment
Honda Joins with Cruise and General Motors to Build New Autonomous Vehicle
Honda reports September 2018 sales numbers
Honda recalling 232,000 2018 Accords and 2019 Insights for rear camera software update
2019 Accord arriving in showrooms by November
Is a base trim of the Civic Type R finally arriving for MY 2019? (More MY2019 info inside)
Team Honda Research wins ST2 at NASA Nationals with their NC1 NSX
Type R --> Re: Top Gear: Here's what seven months living with a Honda Civic Type R is like
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Hydrogen vs Battery-tanks
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: So they took apart a Tesla 3 and found.......
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: Accord 2.0 Touring: First Impressions
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2018 United States Grand Prix Race Spoilers
Join Discussion......
IMA/Hybrids --> Re: Check IMA System light is on - what could it mean?
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> New status symbol: Dream garages
Join Discussion......
Ridgeline - General Talk --> Re: Honda to bring mystery off-road truck to 2018 SEMA
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: European CO2 madness and why electromobility is pointless
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: CR-V Hybrid 4wd iMMD
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: The Dirt on Clean Electric Cars
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: Drove one over the weekend...
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Re: DMV Stickers, we don't need no stinking stickers
Join Discussion......
S2000 --> Bridgewater Acura Meet
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: 2018 MotoGP
Join Discussion......
First Drive: 2019 Honda Pilot
Read Article....................
2019 Honda Pilot PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Insight
2019 Honda Insight PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura RDX
2019 Acura RDX Features & Specifications

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
  TOV News > 2013 Accord order page reveals new Sport trim, confirms 6AT, CVT and 6MT transmissions > > Re: good news

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
good news [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-07-2012 18:08
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Well, if the car shrinks a little bit... the engine gets a little bit more power (200bhp?) and a chunk more torque (170ft/lbs).. add an MT6... you got yourself OUR winner.

Now, of course, we need to see what Sport means? Is it a trim above the EX.. then call it Si... Is it a trim below the EX, then call it SE.

We'll see, but so far it looks good.

Oh.. NV.. does that mean a Navi optimized for the Las Vegas, NV, run? ;-D

according2kev
Profile for according2kev
Re: good news [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-07-2012 19:25
Yeah, it's good to see more trim options.

I wonder how accurate the list is. I'm a bit surprised to see a manual offered on the EX considering the Civic doesn't. Actually it's good to see a manual at all. I could be wrong but I don't think the Camry, Altima, Optima, Sonata, or Malibu can be had with a manual anymore.

BachelorFrog
Profile for BachelorFrog
Re: good news [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-07-2012 19:53
Its pretty much confirmed that 2.4L will have 181hp in all trims.
I dont understand why 9hp less than the current model.

danielgr
Profile for danielgr
Re: good news [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-07-2012 20:39
BachelorFrog wrote:

Because the current model is a peaky one, which delivers the last 13 Hp above 6500rpm (where very few if no regular Accord driver will push their cars into), while the new one will have a much better filled power band all the way to it's lower redline. That, together with the 6MT/CVT combo vs. current 5MT/5AT one should help it feel noticeably different (specially the AT should be like night and day...)

Potenza
Profile for Potenza
Re: good news [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-07-2012 22:56
TonyE wrote:
Now, of course, we need to see what Sport means? Is it a trim above the EX.. then call it Si... Is it a trim below the EX, then call it SE.
It looks to be between the LX and EX. Notice that the coupe doesn't have a "Sport" trim but rather the LX-S.

Though I now see that the current coupe lineup is the same. So then what is an LX-S, and how does that differ from an LX? Alloy wheels? Is the Sport simply going to be an LX with alloy wheels? I suppose all will be revealed before too long.

(Remember Tony that SE is used by Honda for the last model year of each generation.)

JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: good news [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-07-2012 22:58
danielgr wrote:
BachelorFrog wrote:

Because the current model is a peaky one, which delivers the last 13 Hp above 6500rpm (where very few if no regular Accord driver will push their cars into), while the new one will have a much better filled power band all the way to it's lower redline. That, together with the 6MT/CVT combo vs. current 5MT/5AT one should help it feel noticeably different (specially the AT should be like night and day...)

Last edited by JeffX on 05-07-2012 22:58
ipribadi
Profile for ipribadi
Re: good news [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-07-2012 23:28
wait a minute .. the EDT 2.4l has only 181hp ?

Okay I understand it has better torque down low and so on, but didn't the latest K24 have flat torque curve already? how much more can there be? 185 ft lb @3500rpm perhaps ?

Rgist85
Profile for Rgist85
Re: good news [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-07-2012 23:41
TonyE wrote:
Well, if the car shrinks a little bit... the engine gets a little bit more power (200bhp?) and a chunk more torque (170ft/lbs).. add an MT6... you got yourself OUR winner.

We'll see, but so far it looks good.

Oh.. NV.. does that mean a Navi optimized for the Las Vegas, NV, run? ;-D

Looks like all the trims are in the logical order we've come to expect...so Sport will be below EX it seems...perhaps its a trim similar to the Civic Sport offered the last year or two of the 8th gen Civic? I'm intrigued by the "Sport" and "Touring" Trims but I'm mad the V6/6spd sedan isn't on the list :(

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: good news [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-08-2012 01:40
Not always... we once had a 91 Accord SE which was the top of the line with 140bhp and ABS.
auto_enthu
Profile for auto_enthu
Re: good news [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-08-2012 01:41
ipribadi wrote:

Okay I understand it has better torque down low and so on, but didn't the latest K24 have flat torque curve already? how much more can there be? 185 ft lb @3500rpm perhaps ?

The flattest torque curve for any Honda in the recent years, if I'm not wrong, is K20 in 8G civic si. I don't think K24 goes anywhere close in terms of flat torque curve.

danielgr
Profile for danielgr
Re: good news [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-08-2012 02:37
ipribadi wrote:

As presented by Jeff from Tokyo MotorShow visit (this says close to 10% power/torque increase all over the low-mid range up to at least 6000rpm), so I would expect it topping around 177 lb-ft:

Mechanic
Profile for Mechanic
Re: good news [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-08-2012 04:59
I agree that it's good news (wonderful news!) that Honda will have so many models available with 6-spd manual transmissions (MTs). That said, it will be fascinating to see how this affects the take-rate for MT cars. I don't think it's even 7% now, and where I live I couldn't find a MT Accord EX anywhere in the state; the dealers simply wouldn't order one unless it was fully paid for up front. I did that -- I've always had MT Hondas -- but I've not seen another MT Accord EX in years.

So, available from the manufacturer is one thing; actually, i.e., reasonably, available from a dealer is another. And then there's the whole issue of whether the buying public has any interest whatsoever in buying MT "Sport" model sedans. After all, you can't hold & talk on a cell phone, drink coffee and shift gears simulaneously, and sadly, that's the reality of what the vast majority of American automobile drivers want to do and insist on doing.

Hondu
Profile for Hondu
Re: good news [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-08-2012 07:41
ipribadi wrote:

I believe all of the media announcements say "at least" or "more than" 181 HP, so I have a feeling the actual rated HP will be closer to 190HP, if not 200 HP. In the TSX/ILX, it will probably be more like 200-205 HP.

Rgist85
Profile for Rgist85
Re: good news [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-08-2012 08:17
TonyE wrote:
Not always... we once had a 91 Accord SE which was the top of the line with 140bhp and ABS.

I'm talking in relation to the order guide listed...they list them as Lx, sport, ex etc. Etc. Considering the Trim levels seem to be in order from base to loaded it would appear the sport is below the ex...otherwise it would be listed after the ex trim on the guide...that's what I meant by logical order...I've never seen a Honda guide where the trim levels weren't in order from base to top trim.

Mechanic
Profile for Mechanic
Re: good news [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-08-2012 08:49
Hondu wrote:
ipribadi wrote:

I believe all of the media announcements say "at least" or "more than" 181 HP, so I have a feeling the actual rated HP will be closer to 190HP, if not 200 HP. In the TSX/ILX, it will probably be more like 200-205 HP.

I doubt it. The same 190-200hp rumors circulated before the 4th Gen CR-V appeared. Unhappily, these days Honda is positively obsessed with regular gas FE #s. That's paramount. Consequently, as a real-world practical matter, it may be possible to coach an extra horse or two from the EDT 2.4L motor by running non-spec 91 octane fuel, but IMHO only the otherwise incredibly bland Acura ILX is a potential candidate for a (premium fuel) 200hp motor.

Tigerriot
Profile for Tigerriot
Re: good news [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-08-2012 10:45
Rgist85 wrote:

Looks like all the trims are in the logical order we've come to expect...so Sport will be below EX it seems...perhaps its a trim similar to the Civic Sport offered the last year or two of the 8th gen Civic? I'm intrigued by the "Sport" and "Touring" Trims but I'm mad the V6/6spd sedan isn't on the list :(

I too am very intrigued by the Sport and Touring trims. This is exactly what I was hoping for. It's also what I'm hoping they offer with the Civic revision this fall.

A few extra sporty touches go a long way towards making these sedans look like I car I want to drive. Toyota nailed it with their newest SE trim, and I hope Honda does the same.

Hondu
Profile for Hondu
Re: good news [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-08-2012 11:21
Mechanic wrote:
Hondu wrote:
ipribadi wrote:

I doubt it. The same 190-200hp rumors circulated before the 4th Gen CR-V appeared. Unhappily, these days Honda is positively obsessed with regular gas FE #s. That's paramount. Consequently, as a real-world practical matter, it may be possible to coach an extra horse or two from the EDT 2.4L motor by running non-spec 91 octane fuel, but IMHO only the otherwise incredibly bland Acura ILX is a potential candidate for a (premium fuel) 200hp motor.

If you review the ED media event, Honda said the 2.4L engine with the ED technology would have a 5% increase in output and fuel economy based on their current engines. The torque would go up 10%.

The current engines in the Accord are 177 HP and 161 ft-lb and 190 HP and 162 ft-lb. Add 5% output, and they go to 186 HP and 200 HP, while torque goes to 177/178 ft-lb.

So, just based on Honda's own data supplied 186 HP and 200 HP are "Over 181 HP", so it is not a stretch for the new Accord to have anywhere from 186-200 HP for the 4-cylinder engine.

Potenza
Profile for Potenza
Re: good news [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-08-2012 12:11
Tigerriot wrote:
Rgist85 wrote:

I too am very intrigued by the Sport and Touring trims. This is exactly what I was hoping for. It's also what I'm hoping they offer with the Civic revision this fall.

A few extra sporty touches go a long way towards making these sedans look like I car I want to drive. Toyota nailed it with their newest SE trim, and I hope Honda does the same.

I think I've only ever seen reviews for the SE model Camry. This is probably a great marketing strategy from Honda... send only the Sport models to the press, giving a more youthful, sporty image of the Accord lineup than simply a regular LX or EX model.

TXsalesguy
Profile for TXsalesguy
Re: good news [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-08-2012 14:23
Rgist85 wrote:
TonyE wrote:

I'm talking in relation to the order guide listed...they list them as Lx, sport, ex etc. Etc. Considering the Trim levels seem to be in order from base to loaded it would appear the sport is below the ex...otherwise it would be listed after the ex trim on the guide...that's what I meant by logical order...I've never seen a Honda guide where the trim levels weren't in order from base to top trim.

SE in Hondaspeak means Special Edition and is used during the last 2 years of a model run to offer an alternative to the regular lineup. It can be a low priced model, can be top of the line. In 05 and 06, Honda added an SE model to the 2nd generation CR-V. At the time, CR-Vs were only available in LX and EX trims, no EXL, so no option of a factory leather. The SE had more painted body panels (remember the large amount of black on the front and rear?) and leather seating. It was the top of the line for the CR-V. When the third generation came out, an EXL was offered for the first time with factory leather and other goodies.

In 06 and 07 an SE Accord added alloys, 6 in dash CD and carbon fiber interior accents to the LX. When the body style changed in 08, the LXP came out with alloys and a power seat to offer something between the LX and EX. The past two years the SE has been an LXP with a leather interior.

I am thinking this Sport trim will do the same as it seems to have replaced the LXP. In recent years, the only other model to be called Sport is the 2012 Ridgeline. From Honda's website:

Ridgeline Sport
Adding to or replacing features on the RT

18" Alloy Wheels
Black Mesh Grille with Sport Emblem
Fog Lights
Privacy Glass
Headlights and Brake Lights with Black-Trimmed Bezels
All-Weather Heavy-Duty Floor Mats
Steering Wheel-Mounted Audio Controls
Leather-Wrapped Steering Wheel
MP3/Auxiliary Input Jack

As an LX Accord already has USB and steering wheel mounted controls, don't think that is the list, but I think it will be a black meshed grill, unique alloys, maybe a deck lid spoiler, perhaps black trimmed bezels, maybe fog lights. At any rate, it will be sporty trim pieces and not any performance differences. MHO of course.

Thread Page - [1]
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
30 mobile: 0