[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
Honda announces changes for 2019 Civic, including new Sport trim
More.......................
When is the 2019 Accord arriving in showrooms? Maybe not until 2019
American Honda Reports July Sales Results
Official statement from Honda concerning flooding of Celaya factory
News from the dealer side: 2019 HR-V, Fit, and Insight production impacted due to flooding in Celaya
2019 Honda HR-V updated with styling tweaks, Apple CarPlay/Android Auto, and available Honda Sensing
2019 Acura MDX Arrives with Luxury and Performance Upgrades Plus First A-Spec Variant
SPIED IN EUROPE! Civic Type R refresh
Today's Reading Links --> Re: 2009 Honda S2000 Edition 100
Join Discussion......
Ridgeline - General Talk --> Re: Ridgeline outlasts Taco in Death Valley Torture Test
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Re: The FB Clarity FCEV group is full of shit
Join Discussion......
Photoshops --> hodge·podge
Join Discussion......
Clarity --> Re: Clarity BEV
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Red Bull Racing Confirms Gasly for 2019
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: Sat in an Advance - Complaints
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: Cash incentives for the Canadian Accord?
Join Discussion......
Strictly Technical --> Re: CEL problems
Join Discussion......
Sales Experiences --> Re: Questions regarding: lease, then buy option
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Accord 2.0 touring or TLX V6 Tech FWD
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Alonso Quits F1
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Alaska Airlines plane hijacked
Join Discussion......
Spy Shots --> Re: Honda Passport prototype caught in Los Angeles
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: DC-R
Join Discussion......
First Drive: 2019 Honda Insight
Read Article....................
2019 Honda Insight PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura RDX
2019 Acura RDX Features & Specifications
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX Advance
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX A-Spec

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
  TOV News > Neal's Fantasy Factory Hatches an Acura ILX 5-Door "Tourer" > > Re: Historical Comparison

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author

TurkMan71
Profile for TurkMan71
Historical Comparison [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-03-2012 22:11
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Here I go again, I'm poo-poo-ing another Fantasy Factory creation by Neal, I feel like such a stinker :-/

Not diggin' this...but again, Neal, this is soooo much about what you had been given to work with rather than your skills...

There is so much going on in the rear for such a small car...rear wheel hump (hate it), window kink (unoriginal and less interesting than Lexus/BMW/Kia kinks), gas door (driver side at least), and then the rear hatch with Bangle butt like shut lines...

Ah, I miss the clean cut good ol' days...yea, yea...I know, they're gone and not coming back :-(

btw: Any interest in doing a Mazda 3 style 5-door hatch?

integrator
Profile for integrator
Re: Historical Comparison [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-03-2012 22:42
a better visual comparison for the new concept's rear is perhaps the G3 Integra coupe.
TurkMan71
Profile for TurkMan71
Re: Historical Comparison [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-03-2012 23:21
integrator wrote:
a better visual comparison for the new concept's rear is perhaps the G3 Integra coupe.

Why, please explain

integrator
Profile for integrator
Re: Historical Comparison [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-04-2012 11:58
The rising beltline, rounded rear, sloping hatch to a shortened deck....I superimposed one on the other by aligning the rear wheel: the G3 Integra 3dr and this Fantasy Factory Tourer have very similar proportions from the rear roofline backwards. The difference is the Integra hatch uses curved glass-on-frame. I wouldnt care - it should be a modernized vehicle, and thats what Neal gave us. I'd buy this.

Sidenote: you can tell the salespeople or the super pro-Hondies... they will never make comment on the Fantasy Factory postings. It certainly tells me they don't see any further development of Honda products as necessary or even interesting. Just whats in front of them. No doubt, if Acura made this, they'd turn to fawning over it like school girls. I think its wonderful, Neal. And the fact that you were included by Acura in their test drives says a lot. Thanks again for this design experiment.

NickDC5
Profile for NickDC5
Re: Historical Comparison [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-04-2012 12:25

TurkMan71
Profile for TurkMan71
Re: Historical Comparison [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-04-2012 15:24
integrator wrote:
The rising beltline, rounded rear, sloping hatch to a shortened deck....I superimposed one on the other by aligning the rear wheel: the G3 Integra 3dr and this Fantasy Factory Tourer have very similar proportions from the rear roofline backwards. The difference is the Integra hatch uses curved glass-on-frame. I wouldnt care - it should be a modernized vehicle, and thats what Neal gave us. I'd buy this.

Sidenote: you can tell the salespeople or the super pro-Hondies... they will never make comment on the Fantasy Factory postings. It certainly tells me they don't see any further development of Honda products as necessary or even interesting. Just whats in front of them. No doubt, if Acura made this, they'd turn to fawning over it like school girls. I think its wonderful, Neal. And the fact that you were included by Acura in their test drives says a lot. Thanks again for this design experiment.

Oh ok I see the rising belt line but as you mentioned, it's a three door...I think a liftback would be an interesting idea, just not one with ILX styling cues...like I said, too much going on in that section of the car, kinda gimmicky at that...again nothing against Neal and his considerable talents, it's as if Acura rolled up alot of my design pet peeves and threw it on one car (well...at least it's not marred by cheat panels!)

NealX
Profile for NealX
Re: Historical Comparison [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-04-2012 15:34
^No problem, there.

More often than not, these are about taking a sad song and making it better... ;-)

integrator
Profile for integrator
Re: Historical Comparison [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-04-2012 17:05
I see it being handled the way Acura went about the introduction of the TSX sportwagon. It included a MMC update to the front which included the blackout treatment in the headlights and the sportier design of the fog lamps. So yeah, the ILX is dull in front - I could see that being handled easily like the TSX's MMC. Not sure theres anything that could convince someone that doesn't like the ILX rear fender bulge accent line though I do agree the liftback and the larger wheels take some visual weight off of it - making it a lot more palatable. Although there are some nice design elements to the ILX sedan, Ikeda's design is typical of the other Acuras - they seem to lack a certain elegance that Neal has been trying to correct. My main complaint about the sedan is it isn't particularly expensive looking.
TurkMan71
Profile for TurkMan71
Re: Historical Comparison [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-04-2012 17:54
Neal wrote:
^No problem, there.

More often than not, these are about taking a sad song and making it better... ;-)

I guess I gotta remember to let the design into my heart...then you can start to make it better. lol :-)

integrator wrote:
My main complaint about the sedan is it isn't particularly expensive looking.

I can agree on that, that's for sure...

according2kev
Profile for according2kev
Re: Historical Comparison [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-04-2012 18:57
integrator wrote:
My main complaint about the sedan is it isn't particularly expensive looking.

I agree that the base/hybrid models look a little cheap (mainly do to the wheel design) but the wheels on the 2.4 give it a more expensive look imho. Still, there are some things that Acura could have done to amplify the premium look. 18” wheels, lower an inch or so, rear LEDs, and maybe dual exhaust tips(at least on the 2.4) integrated in the rear bumper. The concept looked great...

The production model lost the lowered look, took a hit in wheel size, lost the flared rocker panels, lost the bumper integrated exhaust tips, and it even looks like they chopped a couple of inches off the bottom of the rear bumper which helps to hide the muffler and suspension. I forgot, the character lines on the door look like they were softened for the production model but it could just be the lighting. All of these things gave it a more premium and sporty look.

I must admit that I haven’t seen the ILX in person so my feelings could change. My opinions are based on the photos I’ve seen.

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Historical Comparison [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-05-2012 16:13
integrator wrote:

That's a BUNCH OF BULLSHIT. Let me give a few posts that disproves your belly aching...

http://vtec.net/news/news-item?news_item_id=1050515

http://vtec.net/news/news-item?news_item_id=1037747

http://vtec.net/news/news-item?news_item_id=976213

http://vtec.net/news/news-item?news_item_id=958008

http://vtec.net/news/news-item?news_item_id=945688

Not to mention Neal's seminal (for me) post of the Civic Si Wagon.. which I could not quite find but there should be a link to it... but here's a link....

http://vtec.net/forums/one-message?message_id=1061295

PS- Jeff, Neal.. if you read this.. there should be a forum for Neal's Garage.

Thread Page - [1]
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
29 mobile: 0