[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
NSX GT3 Evo To Compete Globally in 2019
More.......................
2019 Acura ILX Arrives with Dynamic New Styling, Major Technology Upgrades and New A-Spec Treatment
Honda Joins with Cruise and General Motors to Build New Autonomous Vehicle
Honda reports September 2018 sales numbers
Honda recalling 232,000 2018 Accords and 2019 Insights for rear camera software update
2019 Accord arriving in showrooms by November
Is a base trim of the Civic Type R finally arriving for MY 2019? (More MY2019 info inside)
Team Honda Research wins ST2 at NASA Nationals with their NC1 NSX
Today's Reading Links --> Re: "2019 Toyota Supra Is a BMW Parts Bin Car"
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2018 United States Grand Prix
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Fixing SH-AWD
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: CDX
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Re: DMV Stickers, we don't need no stinking stickers
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: 3rd Generation Acura RDX Reviews
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: My TLX so far
Join Discussion......
Odyssey --> Re: 2016 Odyssey SE
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: European CO2 madness and why electromobility is pointless
Join Discussion......
Strictly Technical --> Re: Pre-DWB S2000 Engine Management
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: CR-V Hybrid 4wd iMMD
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: 2019/2020 Honda FR GT500
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Model Release Matrix?
Join Discussion......
Amateur Racing & Driving --> Re: TSX @ NCCAR Apexfest
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> The Dirt on Clean Electric Cars
Join Discussion......
2019 Honda Pilot PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
First Drive: 2019 Honda Insight
2019 Honda Insight PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura RDX
2019 Acura RDX Features & Specifications
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX Advance

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
  TOV News > TOV Video Interview with Comptech at 2002 IAS > > Re: short ram?

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author

RyanDL
Profile for RyanDL
Headers [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-06-2002 12:41
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Wow, those CL/TL-S headers make mucho power!

Not too impressed with the gains on the RSX headers (5-6 WHP). I think DC Sports is reporting a bit more from their to-be-released headers. Over on ClubRSX, I've seen that DC is reporting either 7-9 WHP or 16 WHP (the 7-9 sounds more believeable).

Ryan

Pierce
Profile for Pierce
Re: Headers [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-06-2002 15:35
I agree with the Comptech RSX headers. Nothing spectacular at all.

I believe that the 16 WHP from DC was based on their intake/header/exhaust combo, not just the headers. Either way, that is a pretty good number for just I/H/E on a Honda 4 cylinder (when compared to others, like the B16)

RyanDL
Profile for RyanDL
Re: Headers [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-06-2002 16:17
That makes more sense on the DC numbers. Personally, the best combo is the following (and I'll do it once I have some money!):

AEM CAI (~12 WHP)
Borla Catback (~6-8 WHP -- probably a bit more HP to be had here, but the Borla is only marginally louder than stock)
DC Sports Header (~7-9 WHP)

Total gain: guessing ~20-25 WHP (I don't know that they will sum to ~29 WHP, although that'd be nice!)

Now if Toda will just release their new cams... =-)

Ryan

jfunk
Profile for jfunk
Re: Headers [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-06-2002 17:56
Excellent selection of equipment Ryan, I am considering some of the very same pieces/manufacturers, that is if I get the RSX-s first! (Currently '97 Prelude SH owner)

I still want to wait and see what the '03 Accord coupe will offer- perhaps more Hp and torque in its stock form.

What other mods are you considering?

I would probably stick with DC Sports and get their assortment of braces: Strut tower, rear-lower tie, rear tower. Interior: Type-R or Momo pedals, and the type-R shift knob, and that's about it.

Hey I guy can dream right?!

dodole
Profile for dodole
Re: Headers [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-06-2002 23:31
Hey same here now owning 93Prelude VTEC waiting for the next Accord if wat they is true about the 6 spd Accord oh yeah gonna get me one.
9000RPM
Profile for 9000RPM
Re: Headers [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-07-2002 02:22
If I remember correctly Comptech gain 17whp from CL/TL Type S by changing header and exhaust.
9000RPM
Profile for 9000RPM
Re: Headers [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-07-2002 02:26
The numbers are a bit optimistic. AEM numbers are bloated in my mind. My friend has it on his Type S and he very disappointed after he tested the product. Personally I don't trust a lot of the manufacture's claim. It's really hard to gain much power from exhaust with small displacement engines unless you are running no cat.
bradmathisen
Profile for bradmathisen
Re: Headers [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-07-2002 07:19
Actually, it is 32 WHP from the header/exhaust for the CL/TL Type S. The exhaust system is not even a cat back, it is simply a rear section replacement. Here are the dyno numbers from Comptech.
http://www.comptechusa.com/images/dyno/2000CLSplot.pdf

RyanDL
Profile for RyanDL
Re: AEM [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-07-2002 09:47
I've seen a few different dyno plots on the AEM CAI. I'm not sure whether differences in gains are a function of atmospheric conditions, dyno test procedures, or some other variable. However, when AEM had their dyno day and invited Injen, I read the test procedure and saw the results. The test procedure is correct and the results speak volumes. So, take it for what its worth, I guess.

Regardless, in theory, the AEM should make the most gains (cold air intake vs. the rest being short rams). Plus, they make high quality pieces.

Ryan

RyanDL
Profile for RyanDL
Re: Headers [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-07-2002 09:51
Not sure what else is on my wish list yet, jfunk. The DC5 platform is still very new, so I'm waiting for a little research to be made on the chassis to see what works with suspension and what doesn't. Bolt-ons are comparatively easy to do R&D with: all you need is a dyno and the ability to use it for trial and error with different parts. Suspension is more of a gray area: not every manufacturer has access to unlimited track time.

Koni has some shocks in R&D. There are some coilover kits available, too. As for braces, I'd consider the new Comptech front strut tower, and Mugen has some nice stuff, too. The RSX has a stock rear lower tie bar, so no need to add a new one. If you get a rear sway, the nice ones have a new tie included.

Ryan

9000RPM
Profile for 9000RPM
Re: Headers [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-07-2002 16:22
All the gain right before redline. The powerband is very similar to stock except the last 1000 rpm.
jfunk
Profile for jfunk
short ram? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-07-2002 17:23
Are there any actual benefits to a short ram other than that it "sounds cool"- particularly when VTEC'ing? It seems to me that it has little to no advantage drawing up hot/warm air near the center of the engine, and if that is the case why not just get a K&N drop in filter- at least it is shielded from the heat somewhat in the stock box? I guess from a few dyno's I've seen (independent/non-manufacturer tests) the short rams don't do much better than stock, if not worse, losing Hp and torque in various parts of the power band. Of course a CAI is a different story.
bradmathisen
Profile for bradmathisen
Re: Headers [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-07-2002 23:23
Show me any mod to a Honda that is not a SC or TC that adds 30+ HP in the middle of the power band. The Comptech GSR with intake and exhaust only adds 5-6 throughout the power band and peaks at 8. Being that the Type S header alone adds that much power at peak, it shows how restrictive the stock exhaust manifold is for high RPM. My CL Type S is stock and pulls hard all of the way to rev limiter, I couldn't imagine an extra 30 WHP in that last 1000 RPM.
9000RPM
Profile for 9000RPM
Re: Headers [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-08-2002 06:16
It's nearly impossible to add mid range power in small displacment car without F/I. 1000 RPM is a small range of the powerband to really enjoy it. You are almost shifting before you felt anything.
RyanDL
Profile for RyanDL
Re: short ram? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-09-2002 09:48
You can pick up a few HP with a short ram, but generally, they don't do too well. They suck up hot air and also don't have very good resonance tuning due to their short size. Also, I think they sound quite annoying. Even the CAIs are loud when in the upper RPM ranges.

Ryan

Thread Page - [1]
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
29 mobile: 0