[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
2019 Acura MDX Arrives with Luxury and Performance Upgrades Plus First A-Spec Variant
More.......................
SPIED IN EUROPE! Civic Type R refresh
American Honda Sets New June Sales Records on Strength of Light Trucks
Honda reveals refreshed 2019 HR-V and Pilot
Acura TLX GT wins class and places 3rd overall at 2018 Pikes Peak International Hill Climb
Spied on the Street! 2019 Pilot and Pilot PHEV mule
All-New 2019 Honda Insight Brings Style, Sophistication and 55 mpg City Rating
It's Official: Honda to supply Red Bull Racing in Formula One from 2019
Type R --> Re: DC-R
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda new teaser ad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: 2019 Supra may get 4cyl
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: MotoGP - Assen TT (you should watch)
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Munro says Model 3 has >30% gross margin
Join Discussion......
ILX --> Re: 2019 ILX
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Zak Brown: 2018 McLaren ‘weaker than last year’s car’
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: New RDX vs NX Infomercial
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: Such a damn nice car
Join Discussion......
Type R --> Re: Type-R Fascia Changes spotted at Nurburgring
Join Discussion......
Fuel Cell Technology --> Re: Marauding Mirais
Join Discussion......
Hot Deals --> Great lightning deal on Anker ROAV C1 Pro (2k resolution) dashcam - $75
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: 2017 Civic Si 360whp One Take
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: 3rd Generation Acura RDX Reviews
Join Discussion......
Civic --> 2001 Honda Civic non-vtec to vtec engine switch
Join Discussion......
First Drive: 2019 Honda Insight
Read Article....................
2019 Honda Insight PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura RDX
2019 Acura RDX Features & Specifications
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX Advance
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX A-Spec

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
  TOV News > Honda Announces Revolutionary Next-generation “Earth Dreams Technology” > > Re: what about manual transmissions?

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author

wistlo1
Profile for wistlo1
what about manual transmissions? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-01-2011 08:24
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
I'm not seeing much here about the manual transmission.

Does it have a place in "Earth Dreams" (which to my ear, sounds more like a New Age band more than an automotive technology)?

Were there any references to a manual transmission drivetrain in this presentation?

Potenza
Profile for Potenza
Re: what about manual transmissions? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-01-2011 10:19
wistlo1 wrote:

Does it have a place in "Earth Dreams" (which to my ear, sounds more like a New Age band more than an automotive technology)?

Were there any references to a manual transmission drivetrain in this presentation?

I think it's simply a matter of there being little to improve on in that regard. A manual transmission is already quite fuel efficient and Honda makes the best of them.

Also as Honda seems to have one of the largest take-rates of MTs, I don't think they're going anywhere.

(I would like to see them introduce something like Nissan's SynchroRev Match though, which I think is neat.)

gt
Profile for gt
Re: what about manual transmissions? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-01-2011 13:32
I have already gave up on Honda regarding manual transmission, looks like Honda will only put MT on Fit and Civic. TSX sedan only and TL.
No MT on any Wagon/SUV like, V6 sedans (except TL) etc.....

Mazda SkyActiv introduced a new 6-speed manual, I went to a Mazdda dealership and wanted to test drive the new Mazda3 but they dont have one until late December .... I am looking forward to try out the SkyActiv manual....

MasterOfDaDomain
Profile for MasterOfDaDomain
Re: what about manual transmissions? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-01-2011 16:11
The Skyactiv manual in Mazda3 received praise from Winding Road:

http://www.windingroad.com/articles/reviews/driven-2012-mazda3-skyactiv/

When it comes time to shift, the clutch offers a low-effort feel, and gives a good sense of what is going on underfoot, making smooth transitions from gear to gear an easy operation. The best part of the shift experience, though, comes from the right hand. The gear lever slides into place very smoothly, with a palpable settling into the gear. The throw really is remarkably short, and very light, which, as one would guess, makes it very fast. Between that feeling and that of the leftmost pedal, it really is a treat flicking through all the cogs. It’s an experience that we can honestly say rivals that of the MX-5 in terms of sporty, heroic feel.

Potenza
Profile for Potenza
Re: what about manual transmissions? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-01-2011 16:30
gt wrote:
I have already gave up on Honda regarding manual transmission, looks like Honda will only put MT on Fit and Civic. TSX sedan only and TL.

Mazda SkyActiv introduced a new 6-speed manual, I went to a Mazdda dealership and wanted to test drive the new Mazda3 but they dont have one until late December .... I am looking forward to try out the SkyActiv manual....

So you're saying it's only available on the Fit, CR-Z, Civic coupe and sedan, Accord coupe and sedan, TSX sedan, and only with the V6 in the Accord coupe and TL? How awful.

And what do you care about those Acura cars and V6 engines anyhow if you're looking at the Mazda3? Its competitor the Civic comes with many manual options.

I don't have any info for 2011, but last year Honda equipped more vehicles with a manual transmission than any other brand, at 7.6%. Meanwhile only 4.5% of U.S. cars were manual-equipped, while Nissan had just 0.8%....

Colin
Profile for Colin
Re: what about manual transmissions? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-01-2011 17:10
Potenza wrote:
gt wrote:

So you're saying it's only available on the Fit, CR-Z, Civic coupe and sedan, Accord coupe and sedan, TSX sedan, and only with the V6 in the Accord coupe and TL? How awful.

And what do you care about those Acura cars and V6 engines anyhow if you're looking at the Mazda3? Its competitor the Civic comes with many manual options.

I don't have any info for 2011, but last year Honda equipped more vehicles with a manual transmission than any other brand, at 7.6%. Meanwhile only 4.5% of U.S. cars were manual-equipped, while Nissan had just 0.8%....

Dammit Potenza, please don't introduce logic on TOV.

dutchboy
Profile for dutchboy
Re: what about manual transmissions? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-02-2011 01:26
Colin wrote:
Potenza wrote:
gt wrote:

Dammit Potenza, please don't introduce logic on TOV.

I agree with gt. Honda does offer M/T tranny’s here in Canada and probably U.S. on all Fit’s, Civic LX, EX. Standard on Si of course. Accord SE sedan and all Accord Coupes. And CRZ. TSX and TL. I work at a large Honda dealer in the GTA (Canada) as a sr.tech and work on and accessorize all the new cars. It is very rare for me to PDI and prep an M/T Honda. No body is buying them even if it’s available. We had a run of HFP Accord Coupe’s and 4 of 5 were Automatics. The 6 spd M/T was the last one to sell. I personally drive a 08 Accord Coupe EX 5 spd M/T. Here M/T’s are cheaper by $800-$1200.

I guess everyone is to busy with there high tech devises these days to worry about shifting gears them selves. It’s no wonder Honda and other manufactures are getting rid of the good old M/T.

wistlo1
Profile for wistlo1
Re: what about manual transmissions? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-02-2011 12:10
Some manual transmission tidbits:

In the US, you can scratch Civic EX from that list--manuals are available for 2012 only the lower Civic trim levels. This was disappointing.

I searched last year for an Accord EX manual, but all I could find was a lower trim Accord LX.

In late 2008, I had to cross two states to buy a Fit MT in one of the two colors favored by my wife, for whom this was a surprise Christmas present.

In 1996, I lived in Europe and had the pleasure of renting a Renault minivan with a Diesel and a five speed stick on the floor. It was actually fun to drive.

NPR listeners (I am one) are 42% more likely to drive a car with manual transmission.

At a recent Tire Rack Street Survival driving school for teenagers, my son was the only one of 31 drivers on the course with a stickshift (drivers had to bring the vehicle they normally drive).

I enjoyed teaching my teenager to drive a shift, a skill that impresses his friends (particularly girls). None of his friends ever asks to borrow the car, either.

Does Honda still sell the CR-V with shift outside the US? What other models in other countries are available with MT?

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: what about manual transmissions? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-02-2011 12:50
wistlo1 wrote:
I enjoyed teaching my teenager to drive a shift, a skill that impresses his friends (particularly girls). None of his friends ever asks to borrow the car, either.

That was not fun for me...

I finally took him to a flat place and let him learn how to feel the clutch engaging... I told him to get the car moving without giving it any gas by simply engaging the clutch ( MT was on 1st gear).

He eventually figured it out but it took quite a few "adventurous" trips. Now he loves it.

Oh, the car is a Fit MT5 Sport with NAVI....

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: what about manual transmissions? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-02-2011 12:55
wistlo1 wrote:

I think that an MT is very hard to integrate into a computer controlled power train. The software can not always discern whether an abnormal action is due to a fault or an unexpected (always) driver input.

OBD-II was the beginning of this. In that the car would have to throw faults when it got to a situation where it could disambiguate between the source of the abnormality just to be safe.

In a hybrid, like our HCH, cruise control is they key to maximizing mileage because the computers figure out how best to match RPM, gear ratios and charge/assist mode where the inputs are speed, battery charge and road elevation changes.

I have seen situations where the computer will decide to charge the battery in lieu of getting better mileage. Things that the car will not let me do when I take it off cruise control.

This is with a CVT, so you can imagine than an MT transmission will drive the software bonkers and likely generate more pollution, less battery charge and lower mileage.

vtiman
Profile for vtiman
Re: what about manual transmissions? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-02-2011 13:09
yeah i have said before that i dont know which honda i would own if i lived in the states. whilst the euro accord / tsx wagon are the same car mine is a prev gen diesel 6 speed.

even in uk and europe some cars dont come with manuals any more or only in lowerspec/power trims. the new passat allroad is manual with the 138bhp engine but only auto with 168 bhp.

logically a modern auto is a better all round transmission then a manual but it will never ever be the same in terms of control and feel of the engine/transmission. especially with hondas which have such crisp shifts and easy to use clutches.

you would think with all the tech we could have a dual clutch auto with a manual shift pattern and a manual override clutch !

Colin
Profile for Colin
Re: what about manual transmissions? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-02-2011 14:54
TonyE wrote:

I've forgotten how many times I've had to teach the basics of a manual transmission in order to sell a car. Shocking how many young people don't know how to drive them. At first, I was "WTF, the first thing I wanted to do when I got my license was to learn drive a manual?" This was back in the Integra days, and I realized that the kids didn't know how because their parents didn't have manuals to teach them on. In those days, it seemed like I gave a driving lesson once or twice a month! These days, nobody asks for a manual.

Sasker
Profile for Sasker
Re: what about manual transmissions? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-02-2011 15:30
wistlo1 wrote:

In 1996, I lived in Europe and had the pleasure of renting a Renault minivan with a Diesel and a five speed stick on the floor. It was actually fun to drive.

I drove a manual diesel SUV in Germany for a while and it was very nice. It was a Chevy, so no, it wasn't even the best shifter out there. A manual transmission is the perfect way to improve the driving experience of any vehicle, including wagons and SUVs.

gt
Profile for gt
Re: what about manual transmissions? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-03-2011 00:32
Sasker wrote:
wistlo1 wrote:

I drove a manual diesel SUV in Germany for a while and it was very nice. It was a Chevy, so no, it wasn't even the best shifter out there. A manual transmission is the perfect way to improve the driving experience of any vehicle, including wagons and SUVs.

I am with you totally. Few years back I went to europe and drove a Euro FORD - 6-speed manual MINIVAN with 1.9L turbo DIESEL.

IN North America term:
- 6 speed manual - there is no market
- MINIVAN - no fun - soccer mom
- Diesel - A BIG NO NO.

But !!!!

It was THE MOST FUN ROAD TRIP I have ever have. (1 hit 190 km/h on the 100+hp Diesel with 6 people , and of course, on 6th gear ... ...) fuel economy is around 10L/100km, which is excellent considering average speed of 160km/hr.

My second best road trip was in BC Canada, drving my own 2002 5-speed manual CR-V ... (hitting 180km/h and fuel cut off..)

I cannot even imagine how FUN it will be if they put the slick shift 6-speed manual on the 2012 cr-v with 7000 RPM RED LINE!!!!!

FiSH-Chan
Profile for FiSH-Chan
Re: what about manual transmissions? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-03-2011 04:10
Colin wrote:
TonyE wrote:

I've forgotten how many times I've had to teach the basics of a manual transmission in order to sell a car. Shocking how many young people don't know how to drive them. At first, I was "WTF, the first thing I wanted to do when I got my license was to learn drive a manual?" This was back in the Integra days, and I realized that the kids didn't know how because their parents didn't have manuals to teach them on. In those days, it seemed like I gave a driving lesson once or twice a month! These days, nobody asks for a manual.

Oh they should just make it a compulsory thing when learning to drive. Where I am we start driving from manuals. Everyone and their grandmother and THEIR grandmother can drive a manual. It's not "special skill" here.

However, that doesn't stop them jumping immediately into an automatic car anyway for many, many reasons.

But I personally would love a nice 6 speed manual like one in the Fit RS, Civic Si or the CR-Z. If it's a 5 speed manual, i'll just take automatic or CVT.

jero
Profile for jero
Re: what about manual transmissions? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-03-2011 04:36
I don't think you can consider your self a driving enthusiast if you don't have an educated left foot. you can talk all you like, but the second you say you can't drive a manual, all credibility is lost.

My son is years from driving, but he is already telling me he wants a car with a shifter... like my S2000.

I have only had manuals since I was 15 1/2. And yes, I had a 50 minute commute each way in Chicago for 8 years, and yes I drove the S2000 year round in Chicago winters without traction control/VSA. Oh the horror!

I honestly can't tell you the last time I saw a manual Honda on a lot with my own eyes that wasn't a S2000 or a civic Si.

It really is a shame IMO.

Sasker
Profile for Sasker
Re: what about manual transmissions? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-03-2011 05:35
jero wrote:
I don't think you can consider your self a driving enthusiast if you don't have an educated left foot. you can talk all you like, but the second you say you can't drive a manual, all credibility is lost.

Yes. No automatic gearbox (including double-clutch ones with paddle shifters) can subsitute for the feeling of control and involvement of a real manual transmission with a clutch. Any "enthusiast" who drives an automatic might as well play a video game.

With a manual transmission you should know what the engine is doing at any time. You should anticipate what you want to do and then choose the right gear. You actually pay attention to the drive. With an automatic car you just hold the steering wheel and press on the gas and break pedals.

CarPhreakD
Profile for CarPhreakD
Re: what about manual transmissions? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-03-2011 14:31
wistlo1 wrote:

Honda did not rule out the use of manual transmissions. I would expect them to continue to use them in sports models in NA, and in most vehicles outside of NA

99SI
Profile for 99SI
Re: what about manual transmissions? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-03-2011 22:11
All I ask for would be to have another 6MT V6 sedan that is 30k or under. ie the accord.... The TL is just too expensive seeing as you have to buy the SH-AWD version with the tech package.

Thread Page - [1]
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
29 mobile: 0