Honda has broken all records in the first three months of the year underlining its reputation as one of the fastest growing mainstream car brands. Sales for the first quarter have increased 16% year on year, comfortably outperforming the rest of the industry which achieved a 6% increase.
Highlights of Honda’s UK success this year to date include:
- All time record of 29,000 cars sold in first quarter (equivalent to one whole year of Honda UK car sales in 1991)
- Jazz is now the most popular single model, with sales 50% up on last year (now outselling VW Polo 5dr)
- British built Civic retains popularity, accounting for 40% of the total mix
- Civic Type-R remains easily Britain’s most popular genuine hot hatch
- Civic 3 door leads sector, outselling 3-door petrol versions of the Ford Focus and VW Golf
- Civic 5 door currently 4th in 5dr petrol sector (outsold new Golf in March)
- Strong sales of Civic IMA hybrid
- CR-V continues to lead petrol SUV sector, virtually matching combined petrol and diesel sales of Land Rover Freelander
- Accord 4th in 4dr petrol D-sector – outselling Audi A4, Saab 9-3, VW Passat
- New diesel accounts for 30% of Accord sales and 45% of Accord Tourer sales
- Recently revised S2000 is enjoying its best ever year – 500 sold in first quarter
"Several factors have come together this year enabling us to achieve a significant step forward," says Honda (UK)’s General Manager, David Strangeway. "Last year’s ‘cog’ advertisement dramatically increased awareness of the Honda brand, while rave product reviews and top results in recent customer satisfaction surveys – achieved through dealers totally committed to customer satisfaction – have encouraged people to take a closer look at Honda.
"Awareness of Honda’s first own designed and built diesel is building, and we’re well placed to take advantage of this following February’s launch of the Accord and Accord Tourer i-CTDi models. We also have great expectations for the CR-V diesel which will be going on sale early next year," he added.
In 2005 Honda expects to sell about 10% more cars than the 81,858 sold here in Britain last year.
More than half of this total will be locally built at the Honda of the UK Manufacturing plant at Swindon. The HUM plant builds all of the Civic 3 and 5 door and CR-V models sold here plus models for export to mainland Europe, America and Japan. In 2004 Honda plans to build around 190,000 cars in Swindon with a near equal split of Civic and CR-V models.