Date: March 01, 2016 11:34
Honda Press Release
American Honda Sets New February Record; New Civic and Honda Division Lead with Second Consecutive Monthly RecordsMar 1, 2016 - TORRANCE, Calif.
- Honda Division sets new February benchmark on sales of 106,212 vehicles
- All-new 2016 Honda Civic sets a new monthly record for the second month in a row with sales up 31.7 percent; with all-new Civic Coupe set to go on sale mid-March
- Acura ILX, the brand's entry point and most youthful model, was up 56.4 percent
American Honda Motor Co., Inc. today reported record February sales of 118,985 Honda and Acura vehicles, an increase of 12.8 percent. Honda Division set a new February record with 106,212 units sold, up 14.9 percent; Honda car sales reached 57,267 while record February truck sales totaled 48,945 for the month. Acura sales totaled 12,773 with sedan sales of 4,683 and trucks reaching 8,090 units in February.
Fresh off of a record January and led by record sales of the all-new 2016 Civic Sedan and the CR-V along with a strong performance by the Accord, the Honda brand set a new February sales mark.
- Civic, relying only on sales of the Sedan, was the brand's best-selling model for the month, setting a new February record, with sales up 31.7 percent to 27,707 units; the All-new Civic Coupe will accelerate that momentum when it goes on sale in mid-March.
- Also bucking the light truck trend, Accord was up 19.3 percent on sales of 25,785 units.
- CR-V, America's best-selling SUV, was up 13.2 percent on record February sales of 25,250 vehicles.
- Odyssey had a double digit gain, up 11.4 percent with 8,994 units sold for the month.
- In high demand but short supply, Pilot sold 9,572 units, a strong month, but a 24.2 percent decrease compared to February 2015, when high inventories and aggressive sell-down efforts of the prior generation model led to near-record sales.
"Led by the all-new Civic, Honda cars are defying industry trends, even as our light truck models are red hot this winter," said Jeff Conrad, senior vice president and general manager of the Honda Division. "With more versions of the Civic yet to go on sale and an all-new Ridgeline on the way, Honda is primed for an incredibly strong start to the year."
While overall sales were down slightly for February, strong sales of the ILX, the brand's gateway model; the launch of the Acura NSX online vehicle configurator in late February and a refreshed MDX set to debut at the New York Auto Show this month portend a strong year as the Acura brand approaches its 30th anniversary in late March.
- ILX followed up on a strong January result, rising an impressive 56.4 percent on sales of 1,500 units in February.
- MDX, challenged by low inventory levels, was the brand's best-selling model for the month with sales of 4,292 units in February, down 5.7 percent.
"As we approach the 30th anniversary of the Acura brand in March and the launch of the NSX this spring, it's encouraging to see the same kind of excitement associated with the early days of the brand," said Jon Ikeda, vice president and general manager of the Acura division. "With a strong gateway model attracting new customers to the brand in the ILX, and an updated MDX about to debut at the New York auto show, it's not simply cliché to say that the best is yet to come."
Last edited by JeffX on
March 01, 2016 11:53