[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
2015 Accord goes on sale today, "Gets Multiple Feature Upgrades"
More.......................
NSX prototype smolders at the 'Ring
More.......................
2016 NSX Spied at the 'Ring, Part II
More.......................
Production 2016 Acura NSX caught testing at the 'Ring!
More.......................
2015 CR-V MMC info, with color list. CVT confirmed
More.......................
2015 TLX Pricing info released over the holiday weekend
More.......................
American Honda Reports June 2014 Sales
More.......................
This is probably the very first look at the 2016 Pilot. Spied by a TOV member in So Cal.
More.......................
TLX --> Re: Video Road Test of TLX 4 Cyl.
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: Video of TLX SH-AWD V6 Acceleration
Join Discussion......
HR-V/Vezel --> Re: Chinese Vezel / HR-V gets better sheet metal!!
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: 2014 Accord LX Update
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Slow or slowest or normal?
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: Christmas time already?
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Hows the public responding to TLX in the US?
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Toyota plots ‘society-changing’ fuel-cell car for the masses
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 rumors
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: My test-drive in 2.4 TLX Base
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: CTR coming!!!
Join Discussion......
Photoshops --> Re: calling out for some more tweaks to TLX
Join Discussion......
Photoshops --> Re: 2016 Acura Integra
Join Discussion......
CR-V --> Re: 2 months until 2015 MMC?
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: New Honda XR-V for China
Join Discussion......
TOV First Drive: 2015 Acura TLX
Read Article....................
Photo Gallery: 2015 Acura TLX 2.4 P-AWS
Read Article....................
Photo Gallery: 2015 Acura TLX 3.5L SH-AWD
Read Article....................
TOV Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
Read Article....................
PR Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
Read Article....................
TOV Dyno Test: 2014 Accord Hybrid
Read Article....................

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > Optimizing Fuel Economy > > Re: Lowering the shift point: J30a4/6M

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
ezshift5
Profile for ezshift5
Lowering the shift point: J30a4/6M    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-26-2010 16:32
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
As a follow-up to reading the positives in reducing shift point RPM, here's some feedback (FWIW):

1. Using 2500 RPM (down from 3500)
2. Fueling from same pump (same station) to reduce variables
3. Numbers: 2529 miles/87.2 gallons used
4. 29 MPG.
5. Notes: 65% HWY; 87 octane exclusively; winter fuel blend not known. Very few VTEC freeway on-ramp entrances........

ez....
superchg
Profile for superchg
Re: Lowering the shift point: J30a4/6M    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-26-2010 16:54
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
No VTEC= No fun!
ezshift5
Profile for ezshift5
Re: Lowering the shift point: J30a4/6M    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-02-2011 10:25
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
superchg wrote:
No VTEC= No fun!


No argument there, amigo............

Reckon this recession is sparing a large portion of TOV folk (not much traffic within this fuel efficiency arena.............)

best, ez....
ezshift5
Profile for ezshift5
Re: Lowering the shift point: J30a4/6M    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-16-2011 08:26
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply

.......fuel in California's capital (at this sailor's local Valero) has risen to $3.33 and 9/10........

....shift point reduction from 3500 to 2500 RPM seems to be nullifying the "winter fuel blues"..........

.....last two fillups calculate just under 29 MPG (65%highway)...

...and that includes a few VTEC-intensive freeway onramp entrys........................(all work and no play et al.........)

ez
99SI
Profile for 99SI
Re: Lowering the shift point: J30a4/6M    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-16-2011 08:44
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Just curious as to what tires you have on the car. Since I put BS Serenities on mine I have noticed a 1-2mpg drop in mpg. I used to be in the 29-30 range under those same circumstances while shifting at 2500 or so. Now it is 27-28.
ezshift5
Profile for ezshift5
Re: Lowering the shift point: J30a4/6M    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-16-2011 09:42
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
99SI wrote:
Just curious as to what tires you have on the car.



Same size Michelin MXV4 replaced OEM HX MXM4 about 27,000 miles ago. Upside: they don't wear much. Downside would be all that Naval Reserve bread I laid out.........................

ez
Chris_6MT
Profile for Chris_6MT
Re: Lowering the shift point: J30a4/6M    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-16-2011 10:49
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
It's fairly easy in this car to shift below 2000RPM if you're patient.

The best fuel economy will come from accelerating as quickly as possible (but do not go WOT - use 85-90% throttle) and fast shifting under 2000RPM. I have been tracking my fuel economy for the last 4 years and have noticed a surprisingly linear 0.5MPG drop per year (~30k miles) due to wear/tear on the engine (in '07 I averaged a hair under 29MPG, now I'm down to a hair under 27MPG).

But I don't shift at 2k very often, it's much more amusing to surprise 350Z's and Mustang GT's with my little family car. On Friday I bounced against the rev limiter when an automatic trans 350Z attempted to fly around me on the highway and was subsequently shocked when he couldn't.
TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Lowering the shift point: J30a4/6M    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-24-2011 23:48
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Chris_6MT wrote:
It's fairly easy in this car to shift below 2000RPM if you're patient.

The best fuel economy will come from accelerating as quickly as possible (but do not go WOT - use 85-90% throttle) and fast shifting under 2000RPM. I have been tracking my fuel economy for the last 4 years and have noticed a surprisingly linear 0.5MPG drop per year (~30k miles) due to wear/tear on the engine (in '07 I averaged a hair under 29MPG, now I'm down to a hair under 27MPG).

But I don't shift at 2k very often, it's much more amusing to surprise 350Z's and Mustang GT's with my little family car. On Friday I bounced against the rev limiter when an automatic trans 350Z attempted to fly around me on the highway and was subsequently shocked when he couldn't.



Honestly, I don't know how you can drive a J30A4/MT6 slow.

I used to bury mine into the redline because that motor is sooo good in the midrange and top. You are right, the run to redline from 2nd on up is astonishing. That is one hell of a powertrain, lMHO much better than the VCM's J35s that have followed.

I used to get 22 mpg on my commute.
ezshift5
Profile for ezshift5
Re: Lowering the shift point: J30a4/6M    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-25-2011 09:32
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
TonyE wrote
Honestly, I don't know how you can drive a J30A4/MT6 slow.

I used to bury mine into the redline because that motor is sooo good in the midrange and top. You are right, the run to redline from 2nd on up is astonishing. That is one hell of a powertrain, lMHO much better than the VCM's J35s that have followed.

I used to get 22 mpg on my commute.


Granted Tony(E) - sensible (AKA slow) J30a4 operation takes discipline. But it works. Last three tanks: 739.3 MI/25.093 GAL =just under 29.5. With winter fuel blend no less.

Saving my USNR bread for the 105,000 mile service; nothing out there on my replacement radar. Perhaps the GEN9 Accord will be a winner (as opposed to a weiner)

all the best, ez...........
99SI
Profile for 99SI
Re: Lowering the shift point: J30a4/6M    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-25-2011 10:07
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
ezshift5 wrote:
TonyE wrote
Honestly, I don't know how you can drive a J30A4/MT6 slow.

I used to bury mine into the redline because that motor is sooo good in the midrange and top. You are right, the run to redline from 2nd on up is astonishing. That is one hell of a powertrain, lMHO much better than the VCM's J35s that have followed.

I used to get 22 mpg on my commute.


Granted Tony(E) - sensible (AKA slow) J30a4 operation takes discipline. But it works. Last three tanks: 739.3 MI/25.093 GAL =just under 29.5. With winter fuel blend no less.

Saving my USNR bread for the 105,000 mile service; nothing out there on my replacement radar. Perhaps the GEN9 Accord will be a winner (as opposed to a weiner)

all the best, ez...........


I am hoping the same on gen9. Otherwise this car may stay with me well past when I usually have moved on. How expensive could it possibly be to put a 6MT/Non-VCM J35 powertrain in the sedan? aka give the sedan the coupe treatment. I would pay an extra grand to have it.
ezshift5
Profile for ezshift5
Re: Lowering the shift point: J30a4/6M    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-03-2011 10:43
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
99SI wrote:
ezshift5 wrote:
TonyE wrote
Honestly, I don't know how you can drive a J30A4/MT6 slow.

I used to bury mine into the redline because that motor is sooo good in the midrange and top. You are right, the run to redline from 2nd on up is astonishing. That is one hell of a powertrain, lMHO much better than the VCM's J35s that have followed.

I used to get 22 mpg on my commute.


Granted Tony(E) - sensible (AKA slow) J30a4 operation takes discipline. But it works. Last three tanks: 739.3 MI/25.093 GAL =just under 29.5. With winter fuel blend no less.

Saving my USNR bread for the 105,000 mile service; nothing out there on my replacement radar. Perhaps the GEN9 Accord will be a winner (as opposed to a weiner)

all the best, ez...........


I am hoping the same on gen9. Otherwise this car may stay with me well past when I usually have moved on. How expensive could it possibly be to put a 6MT/Non-VCM J35 powertrain in the sedan? aka give the sedan the coupe treatment. I would pay an extra grand to have it.



Shifting at 2500 vice 3500 (most of the time) - even with the dreaded winter fuel blend - is still giving good numbers.

In seasons past, it has averaged 25 -26 on winter blend; reduced RPM is giving closer to 27-28 on WBF...............

No complaints.
ezshift5
Profile for ezshift5
Re: Lowering the shift point: J30a4/6M    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-25-2011 16:41
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply

Shifting at 2500 vice 3500 (most of the time) - even with the dreaded winter fuel blend - is still giving good numbers.

In seasons past, it has averaged 25 -26 on winter blend; reduced RPM is giving closer to 27-28 on WBF...............

Update (2500 RPM shift point continues): 3-23 to 4/25-2011.

About 1200 miles/41 galllons of 87 gives circa 29.3 MPG!!

No complaints.
ezshift5
Profile for ezshift5
Re: Lowering the shift point: J30a4/6M    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-30-2011 17:43
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
With the price of fuel remaining close to $4/gallon, I find it difficult to not find more interest in this fuel economy section of TOV.

FTW: last few tanks: 645.7 mles/21 gallons of 87. That's almost 31 MPG. All from lowering the shift point. And perhaps the shift from winter to summer blend fuel.

all the best from ez...................
 
Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2014 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
mobile: 0