[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
2016 ILX and 2015 HR-V to debut at 2014 Los Angeles Auto Show
More.......................
New Acura and Honda Products Fuel Surge in September Automobile Sales
2015 CR-V goes on sale tomorrow. Full details released.
All-new Honda Civic Type R: unrivalled against the brand's iconic performance flagship models
Honda reveals 2015 CR-V
Honda adds Special Edition trim level to 2015 Civic Lineup
Honda releases sales figures for August 2014
2015 Accord goes on sale today, "Gets Multiple Feature Upgrades"
TLX --> Re: "Game-Changing TLX"
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Tesla P85D: AWD, 0-60 in 3.2 seconds
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: Driving 2015 SH-AWD TLX this week
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Diesels bad?
Join Discussion......
TLX --> TLX Launch Package
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Acura 2016 and Beyond...
Join Discussion......
CR-V --> Re: Saw a 2015 CR-V today
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: What does having a VIN # mean?
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 Honda PU hints
Join Discussion......
NSX --> Re: NSX new info!!! NSXPO 2014
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: The Pursuit of Arete
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: Hope everything works out. Very nervous.
Join Discussion......
ILX --> Re: 2016 ILX
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: Will the 2016 Civic be bigger?
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: 2015 Auto Show Season just started.
Join Discussion......
TOV First Drive: 2015 Acura TLX
Read Article....................
Photo Gallery: 2015 Acura TLX 2.4 P-AWS
Photo Gallery: 2015 Acura TLX 3.5L SH-AWD
TOV Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
PR Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
TOV Dyno Test: 2014 Accord Hybrid

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > Odyssey > > Re: AutoBlog Review

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
TSX69
Profile for TSX69
AutoBlog Review    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-18-2011 15:08
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
2011 Honda Odyssey
As fantastic as the Odyssey is, there's a bigger question at hand: Can it (or Toyota's "Swagger Wagon," or a nicely revamped Grand Caravan from Dodge, or the all-new Nissan Quest) convince the masses that minivans aren't the automotive equivalent of wearing sweatpants? Surely there are a sizable amount of people who wouldn't drive a minivan even if it came with a personal invitation from Rob Halford himself. But Honda thinks that this market is primed for growth, and that's reasonable speculation. With plenty of consumers making the SUV-to-crossover jump in the interest of cutting their fuel bills while maintaining a capacious interior, giving minivans another look is the smart thing to do.
Frogger
Profile for Frogger
Re: AutoBlog Review    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-18-2011 17:25

Thanks for the link. The article actually doesn't dwell much on this crossover-market thing, but I think it's pretty fun to talk about cutting fuel bills and maintaining inner space... what CUV out there actually gets really better mileage and has even close to as much space as the SUV it brothers? Some of the CUVs in this price/family range- Mazda CX, Subaru Tribeca, Acura RDX, Crosstour- they all get atrocious mileage for what they offer. CUVs may have handling over an SUV, but the Ody can boast there too.

99Accord4MT
Profile for 99Accord4MT
Re: AutoBlog Review    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-20-2011 06:09
Frogger wrote:
what CUV out there actually gets really better mileage and has even close to as much space as the SUV it brothers?

Are you serious? Crossovers blow aware their SUV counterparts. Here are some samples off the top of my head:

GM Lambdas - Blows away the Tahoe Yukon in fuel economy, while offering more space

Ford Flex - Blows away the SUV Explorer in fuel economy while offering more room

Toyota Highlander - Beats the 4Runner while offering more room

2011 Crossover Explorer - blows away 2010 SUV Explorer in fuel economy and beats it in room

There are examples from almost every manufacturer. Honda's crossovers compare well to competitors SUVs as well but that's kind of apples to oranges.

Jason

80honda
Profile for 80honda
Re: AutoBlog Review    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-20-2011 08:56
Frogger wrote:

Thanks for the link. The article actually doesn't dwell much on this crossover-market thing, but I think it's pretty fun to talk about cutting fuel bills and maintaining inner space... what CUV out there actually gets really better mileage and has even close to as much space as the SUV it brothers? Some of the CUVs in this price/family range- Mazda CX, Subaru Tribeca, Acura RDX, Crosstour- they all get atrocious mileage for what they offer. CUVs may have handling over an SUV, but the Ody can boast there too.

I hope you are kidding? As an owner of two SUVs and two CUVs, believe me, the CUVs are far more spacious, better handling, and better mpgs.

A77
Profile for A77
Re: AutoBlog Review    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-20-2011 10:17
much as so many people have been influenced not to like minivans the logic of buying them is for many over-powering. 75% of vehicles I have sold this year are Odysseys. Despite continuous sub zero temps and tons of snow - something that would normally make people only want to buy SUVs/CUVs. Given decent tires minivans trounce SUVs in all round capability and usefulness. I spoke to one customer yesterday who bought an Odyssey from me three years ago - "I hate minivans but I love my Odyssey". I think Honda recognises there will always be a market for them.
Frogger
Profile for Frogger
Re: AutoBlog Review    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-20-2011 18:18
I was taking a less technical definition of CUV the way the AutoBlog reviewer was, not as any uni-body SUV, but rather as an SUV trying design-wise not to look like an SUV.

That said however, here is some data on the "blowing away" gas mileage accomplished by the SUV/CUVs listed above, from CR actual mileage- which for however stupid there methodology is- is rather consistent, all the mindblowing 5-10% improvements achievable by technological advances alone:

2002 Explorer 16
2006 Explorer 15
2011 Explorer not on road yet
2011 Flex 17

2011 GMC Acadia 16
2007 Tahoe 14

2010 4Runner 18
2003 4Runner 16
2008 Highlander 18

Still I would never call a Highlander, Acadia, or a Pilot a CUV, to my mind those are unibody SUVs, and the Flex sort of defies categorization. And in that abuse of the term CUV, I am admittably completely wrong.

Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2014 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
mobile: 0