[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
Honda adds Special Edition trim level to 2015 Civic Lineup
More.......................
Honda releases sales figures for August 2014
2015 Accord goes on sale today, "Gets Multiple Feature Upgrades"
NSX prototype smolders at the 'Ring
2016 NSX Spied at the 'Ring, Part II
Production 2016 Acura NSX caught testing at the 'Ring!
2015 CR-V MMC info, with color list. CVT confirmed
2015 TLX Pricing info released over the holiday weekend
TLX --> Re: Motorweek's 0-60 and 1/4 mile
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: 2015 Honda Spirior Si
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: Bad Paint on my 14' Accord
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: 2016 Civic (all new 10th-generation)
Join Discussion......
The Tire Rack: Wheels and Tires Forum --> Re: TLX Steel wheels ?
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Silly little European engines
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: 2014 Paris Auto Show Surprises!
Join Discussion......
Photoshops --> Re: S660
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: Project TLX 2.4
Join Discussion......
ILX --> Re: 2016 ILX MMC spied with little camo
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2014 Singapore Grand Prix - Spoilers
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Rendering: Fit Type-R
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> New transmissions for Europe
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: TODAY IS MY LAST DAY IN MY 40'S.........
Join Discussion......
Classifieds: Buy & Sell --> 2001 Integra Type R parts!
Join Discussion......
TOV First Drive: 2015 Acura TLX
Read Article....................
Photo Gallery: 2015 Acura TLX 2.4 P-AWS
Photo Gallery: 2015 Acura TLX 3.5L SH-AWD
TOV Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
PR Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
TOV Dyno Test: 2014 Accord Hybrid

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > Pilot > > Re: What can make the Pilot look more upscale.

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
Flint
Profile for Flint
What can make the Pilot look more upscale.    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-13-2010 12:14
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
My sister recently purchased a 2010 CRV for her son. I think the CRV looks very upscale for it's class. She is thinking of selling her '08 Accord and picking up a Pilot. I think the Pilot doesn't look as upscale for it's class relative to the CRV in it's class. Only on the outside that is. I've come to like the overall look of the Pilot when its done up with the accessories. But I feel it's still missing something to give it that upscale look. Just because it's not an Acura doesn't mean it has to look plain. Normally I hate chrome, but I feel looking at the Pilot from the side, it's missing some chrome. Maybe on the base of the windows? But definitely no all the way around the windows. The door handles? I don't know.
What do you think Honda could do to give it a more upscale look for the 2012 year?
80honda
Profile for 80honda
Re: What can make the Pilot look more upscale.    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-13-2010 12:25
Flint wrote:
My sister recently purchased a 2010 CRV for her son. I think the CRV looks very upscale for it's class. She is thinking of selling her '08 Accord and picking up a Pilot. I think the Pilot doesn't look as upscale for it's class relative to the CRV in it's class. Only on the outside that is. I've come to like the overall look of the Pilot when its done up with the accessories. But I feel it's still missing something to give it that upscale look. Just because it's not an Acura doesn't mean it has to look plain. Normally I hate chrome, but I feel looking at the Pilot from the side, it's missing some chrome. Maybe on the base of the windows? But definitely no all the way around the windows. The door handles? I don't know.
What do you think Honda could do to give it a more upscale look for the 2012 year?

I would start by changing the goofy looking lights on the front.
Longhorn
Profile for Longhorn
Re: What can make the Pilot look more upscale.    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-13-2010 12:46
It depends on the color. The Pilot in EX trim and above looks expensive in the deep purple or other dark colors. The DX looks cheap,period.

I am surprised you have not mentioned the plastic used in the dashk,talk about cheap, but it may be easy to clean if one has kids.

The Pilot is receiving a MMC next year, and I expect new headlights and a grille similar to the new Odyssey.
RSX
Profile for RSX
Re: What can make the Pilot look more upscale.    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-13-2010 13:00
Flint wrote:

I think it already looks pretty upscale if you get the Black Touring model and add the side steps. I'm biased because it's what I bought. It also looks better if your opt for the tan/black interior instead of just black interior. Here's a link for your reference; http://lh4.ggpht.com/YlCejtfaojlmZrzDyVVVDde_VQKjYcC_uUHqy_aFM2vRsHHM58EavKZ03X3M9ouj9RWcwtW25pcpzheavzq-QQUqh1iToph5T5VN1D8eQr5JTCz8Df64FJpvZ2-Y_x_cq6dUKJ-m92Jjr2vm0zc1xNI

My neighbour has a Range Rover with the same color combo and if not for his 22" rims they look much alike.
98EX4cyl
Profile for 98EX4cyl
Re: What can make the Pilot look more upscale.    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-13-2010 13:06
like 80honda said, headlights got to go! The whole front end really, it's too blocky. Reminds me of the Acura SL/Izuzu Trooper from 10 years ago. It's like they took the MDX/Pilot shared platform and choose the most opposite designs possible. Good for the MDX, really bad for the Pilot.

Not holding out too much hope for the MMC unless its such a radical change that its more of a FMC. It's a shame because the interior is functional.
80honda
Profile for 80honda
Re: What can make the Pilot look more upscale.    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-13-2010 13:35
One thing I noticed about the new Pilot. How high the dash and hood are. Very non-Honda the way it feels sitting in the driver's seat.

The older Pilot had great site-lines.
jcn02acc
Profile for jcn02acc
Re: What can make the Pilot look more upscale.    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-13-2010 13:45
The only part I would change would be the front end. The side profile and rear end are good. This is one crossover that really has the look of a traditional SUV. Pretty much all of its competitors look like tall bloated wagons or shrink wrapped minivans. I really don't get all the gripes about the interior. It needs to be seen in gray or tan to be appreciated, because the all black is really too much black, but otherwise I can't think of any direct competitor with an interior that even comes close.
Longhorn
Profile for Longhorn
Re: What can make the Pilot look more upscale.    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-13-2010 13:53
80honda wrote:
One thing I noticed about the new Pilot. How high the dash and hood are. Very non-Honda the way it feels sitting in the driver's seat.

Thats the one thing I love about the Pilot,the seating position. The driver seat is like those of a fullsize truck. Its like sitting in a nice plush office chair, much more comfortable for spending hours up hours behind the wheel. The sitting on the floor feeling is great for cars but have no place in a truck or SUV.
98EX4cyl
Profile for 98EX4cyl
Re: What can make the Pilot look more upscale.    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-13-2010 13:56
80honda wrote:

Pilot site-lines are awful compared to Ody, CRV, Element, who wants to look out at a big flat hood all day. Also, the A pillar is too thick and the drivers mirror is huge. For a shorter driver I would imagine a HUGE blind spot when making left turns.
iNteGRaz92
Profile for iNteGRaz92
Re: What can make the Pilot look more upscale.    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-13-2010 19:02
buy it in a dark color, simple as that. off-topic, i think it's freakin HILARIOUS that people bashed the second gen pilot for being too boxy. then comes the new 4runner... hey now... it's boxy too, hahaha.
A77
Profile for A77
Re: What can make the Pilot look more upscale.    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-14-2010 01:48
I'd agree on the lights but not much you can do about that. There are some add ons for the front bumper and under the bumper. The best looking runner boards are the premium ones without the lights. quite discreet and classy. Inside the worst aspect are the nasty grey hard plastic bits running up each side of the centre console. for once a suitably chosen wood trim kit does wonders for this. depending on the interior/exterior color - but black cherry looks acura-ish for sure, and some of the more dark browny red ones are very nice too. Honda deliberately made it look cheap (to help MDX sales). the wood trim options really do help.
80honda
Profile for 80honda
Re: What can make the Pilot look more upscale.    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-14-2010 08:45
iNteGRaz92 wrote:
buy it in a dark color, simple as that. off-topic, i think it's freakin HILARIOUS that people bashed the second gen pilot for being too boxy. then comes the new 4runner... hey now... it's boxy too, hahaha.

I much prefer the boxy design of the Pilot. I hate all the amorphous CUVs like the Mazda CX-9. Afterall, I do own two boxy Elements, and my other two SUVs are just as boxy.

I'm glad Honda retained the Boxy traditional look for the Pilot. But the Front end needs some work. I just think the hood is too tall and the lights too large.
Potenza
Profile for Potenza
Re: What can make the Pilot look more upscale.    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-14-2010 12:21
Flint wrote:
Only on the outside that is. I've come to like the overall look of the Pilot when its done up with the accessories. But I feel it's still missing something to give it that upscale look. Just because it's not an Acura doesn't mean it has to look plain. Normally I hate chrome, but I feel looking at the Pilot from the side, it's missing some chrome. Maybe on the base of the windows? But definitely no all the way around the windows. The door handles? I don't know.
I think the accessories are your best bet. I'm not a big chrome fan either, but I think it works on the Pilot. The accessory grille is nicer looking and is in chrome. More upscale than the silver plastic. But the side already has a chrome strip, doesn't it? On the doors, anyhow.

The side steps and roof racks make a big difference.

Awhile ago they announced the Pilot was going to be sold in Russia, I think it was. The pics of the Pilot for that market seemed quite nice. I think it had different tail lights, for one thing... slightly chrome instead of all red.
6SPDTL
Profile for 6SPDTL
Re: What can make the Pilot look more upscale.    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-14-2010 15:07
There is an "upscale" Pilot that does everything a pilot does much better (except for space). Its called the MDX :)
white6spd
Profile for white6spd
Re: What can make the Pilot look more upscale.    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-22-2010 10:59
Projection headlights and a front grille change. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Crosstour, and now Odyssey, style grille.

One thing I fear is that they'll go with the horrible clear "euro style" taillight lenses. That is one trend that really needs to stop, and it's the only thing I don't like about my 07 EXL's looks. Keep the ruby red lenses and load them up with LED's please!

Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2014 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
mobile: 0