[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
New footage of the NSX testing on the Nordschleife
More.......................
2016 ILX and 2015 HR-V to debut at 2014 Los Angeles Auto Show
New Acura and Honda Products Fuel Surge in September Automobile Sales
2015 CR-V goes on sale tomorrow. Full details released.
All-new Honda Civic Type R: unrivalled against the brand's iconic performance flagship models
Honda reveals 2015 CR-V
Honda adds Special Edition trim level to 2015 Civic Lineup
Honda releases sales figures for August 2014
General Talk --> Re: Rolled's dream car
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> New Honda Grace Hybrid to be launched in Japan
Join Discussion......
Accord CrossTour --> Re: its been a year...
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: New Civic Type R Promo
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: MT COTY Contender: Honda Fit
Join Discussion......
RLX --> Re: 2016 RLX MMC?
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: Official TLX I4 0 - 60 test
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: TLX V6 SH-AWD vs Volvo S60 T6
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Future of sports cars
Join Discussion......
Fit (and Jazz) --> Re: Honda Grace (JDM City hybrid) website is up
Join Discussion......
HR-V/Vezel --> Re: Brazil's HR-V unveiled with R18+CVT (likely same as NA)
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: R&T Article on the Current State of F1
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: SUV for Rough urban roads?
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2014 United States Grand Prix
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Is All New Legend an RLX?
Join Discussion......
TOV First Drive: 2015 Acura TLX
Read Article....................
Photo Gallery: 2015 Acura TLX 2.4 P-AWS
Photo Gallery: 2015 Acura TLX 3.5L SH-AWD
TOV Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
PR Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
TOV Dyno Test: 2014 Accord Hybrid

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > Pilot > > Re: How to Replace Evaporator?

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
signal.quest
Profile for signal.quest
How to Replace Evaporator?    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-09-2010 12:11
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
I have a 2004 pilot with 134k on it. My AC will not blow cold AIR. I have had a mechanic fill it with refrigerant with dye and he tells me he thinks it is a leak in the evap or the O rings that seal the evap. He said it is a big job to remove the dashboard to access it. Is this true or can it be accessed from removing the glove box? I am thinking of trying to do this work myself. Can anyone offer any hints or directions on accessing the evaporator? Thanks.
HONDA AFVM
Profile for HONDA AFVM
Re: How to Replace Evaporator?    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-10-2010 12:50
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
signal.quest wrote:
I have a 2004 pilot with 134k on it. My AC will not blow cold AIR. I have had a mechanic fill it with refrigerant with dye and he tells me he thinks it is a leak in the evap or the O rings that seal the evap. He said it is a big job to remove the dashboard to access it. Is this true or can it be accessed from removing the glove box? I am thinking of trying to do this work myself. Can anyone offer any hints or directions on accessing the evaporator? Thanks.

OK, I went and asked my TECH's. We haven't done many at all, but they say there are a lot of pieces & Parts, wires that need to be hooked back up w/o any crossing. Computers possibility that have to be disconnected and most of the under dash has to be removed.

IT'S A BIG JOB is you don't do things like this on a regular bases. You have to make sure you remove all the existing refrigerant too in a responsible way...............

The most important thing to remember is the rear unit also has to be charged when you add the refrigerant back into the system, so as you are filling it or when you take it to the place to fill it, make sure the rear system is on so it can be charged.

There is a lot of aluminum tubing, be careful not to force any of it and bend it. It will take you every bit of a day to do it if you have never attempted anything like it. Take your time and take breaks. Use LOTS OF LIGHT so you can see where you are at every moment and BUY a CHILTON MANUAL to guide you through it piece and part. Mark ALL the screws or put them back, take pictures as you disassemble so you can see where it goes if you get confused when you are putting it back (that is what I do all the time, take pictures before I remove and after).

You have to ask your self this; IS this worth me spending all this time for it to NOT possibly to work, or bring it to the dealer and pay;

$300 for the Evaporator
$536 for the labor
$57 for the Replacement of the refrigerant, have it warrantied for 12 months or 12,000 miles.

What we do see ALL TO OFTEN is people spending 2x as much to try to save $600 bucks because they broke something that if the dealer broke, THEY replace it for free. Brakes and fluids are easy to fix, but things like this, which require replacing refrigerant and disposing of it, 5.5 hours of work from an experienced Tech who would be nervous to do the job because they don't do it often............... Thank about that...............or just spend the money and get it done right, BY THE DEALER! That pricing I gave you should be on par nation wide plus tax give or take $100 bucks depending where you live.

GOOD LUCK and let us know how it turns out.

Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2014 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
mobile: 0