[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
Acura Set to Launch More Powerful, Technologically Advanced and Luxuriously Equipped 2016 Acura ILX
More.......................
All-new 2016 Honda HR-V Crossover Makes North American Debut at 2014 Los Angeles Auto Show
Honda FCV Concept Makes World Debut in Japan
SPIED ON THE STREET! 2016(?) Honda Civic
2016 ILX front end refresh image leaked
Honda's Roadgoing Moto GP Replica Bike Unveiled
2015 Acura TLX Earns 2014 IIHS TOP SAFETY PICK+
Honda and Acura release October sales results
General Talk --> Re: LA show video confirms new Pilot & Ridgeline
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: S660/1000 good news rumors from Japan
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: Consumer Reports full review
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: Bad Paint on my 14' Accord
Join Discussion......
CR-Z --> Re: CRZ Gen.2 looks like a go!
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: TLX Test Drive Event
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 Honda PU hints
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: Heard On The Street
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Toyota's 70 %
Join Discussion......
Driving Simulators --> Re: ASSETTO CORSA
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Toyota Employees Approaching Honda
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Customer feedback to Honda
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Car and Driver 10 Best
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: The Mysterious Case of 12,000 Missing Tesla
Join Discussion......
Videos --> Re: Type "R" interactive 2 story Honda Video.
Join Discussion......
TOV First Drive: 2015 Acura TLX
Read Article....................
Photo Gallery: 2015 Acura TLX 2.4 P-AWS
Photo Gallery: 2015 Acura TLX 3.5L SH-AWD
TOV Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
PR Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
TOV Dyno Test: 2014 Accord Hybrid

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > 3rd Generation TL (2004-2008 models) - Maint. & Repair > > Re: Severe intermittent wheel vibration,

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
Bob S
Profile for Bob S
Severe intermittent wheel vibration,    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-03-2010 12:33
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
My 04 TL has developed an intermittent right wheel vibration that has Acura stumped.
By intermittent I mean it comes and goes away with time not speed related.

Problem seems to have started right after hitting a bad pot hole with right front wheel.

At first I thought the problem was wheel or tire related.
Turns out it's not.
Had wheel and tire checked, balanced and rotated and problem just comes and goes away by itself, always on the right front.
When it's with me, the vibration is so bad that I can't drive over 50. Vibration throught the car and steering wheel.

About a month ago I was scheduled to take car into dealer while the problem was with me and the day before it just stopped.

As a matter of fact car was driven to North Carolina and back without incident until several days ago.

About 40 miles into my daily commute on the turnpike, the vibration just started on the right front. Graduly at first and then increased to the point that I couldn't drive over 50.
That incident stayed with me for the return trip.
Next day nothing. Like it never happened.

Now nothing.

The dealer has checked and can't find anything.
Tires have all been rotated and balanced. Front end alignmnet is right on. Suspension is ok.
CV joints look ok.

So can anyone help?
I'm at stumped.
Grace141
Profile for Grace141
Re: Severe intermittent wheel vibration,    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-03-2010 13:10
My first thought is of a damaged shock absorber and I'd replace both of the front shocks if this were my car. Another possibility would be a broken or bent suspension component but it should have been easy for the dealer's techs to find and you'd be seeing odd tire wear.

As long as the feel of the vibration doesn't change after the tires are rotated to different corners of the car I'd go with replacing both front shocks so they match.

PS. I had a friend encounter a similar experience with vibrations that were caused by a failed ABS wheel sensor on his Chevrolet. I assume you have no warning lights illuminated. My friend could make the vibrations stop by applying the brakes hard thereby somehow resetting the ABS computer readings. I wouldn't recommend you slam the brakes on in traffic though.
98EX4cyl
Profile for 98EX4cyl
Re: Severe intermittent wheel vibration,    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-03-2010 13:13
Bob S wrote:
My 04 TL has developed an intermittent right wheel vibration that has Acura stumped.
By intermittent I mean it comes and goes away with time not speed related.

Problem seems to have started right after hitting a bad pot hole with right front wheel.

At first I thought the problem was wheel or tire related.
Turns out it's not.
Had wheel and tire checked, balanced and rotated and problem just comes and goes away by itself, always on the right front.
When it's with me, the vibration is so bad that I can't drive over 50. Vibration throught the car and steering wheel.

About a month ago I was scheduled to take car into dealer while the problem was with me and the day before it just stopped.

As a matter of fact car was driven to North Carolina and back without incident until several days ago.

About 40 miles into my daily commute on the turnpike, the vibration just started on the right front. Graduly at first and then increased to the point that I couldn't drive over 50.
That incident stayed with me for the return trip.
Next day nothing. Like it never happened.

Now nothing.

The dealer has checked and can't find anything.
Tires have all been rotated and balanced. Front end alignmnet is right on. Suspension is ok.
CV joints look ok.

So can anyone help?
I'm at stumped.

Yes, well at least I hope this helps. I had a similarly frustrating problem on our CRV. After alignment and balance with no resolution it was suggested by a second dealer that a bad pot hole had shifted the internals of the tire (one of or part of a steel belt). Other impacts may temporarily correct the shift and/or dislodge it again causing it to become in and out of balance.
It was near time for me to replace the tires anyway so I did and the vibration was gone.
I had never heard of this before.

By the way the tire was a Goodyear Comfortred.

If your tires have a treadlife warranty you can try to argue for reimbursement or replacement.

Hope this helps?

Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2014 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
mobile: 0