[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
New footage of the NSX testing on the Nordschleife
More.......................
2016 ILX and 2015 HR-V to debut at 2014 Los Angeles Auto Show
New Acura and Honda Products Fuel Surge in September Automobile Sales
2015 CR-V goes on sale tomorrow. Full details released.
All-new Honda Civic Type R: unrivalled against the brand's iconic performance flagship models
Honda reveals 2015 CR-V
Honda adds Special Edition trim level to 2015 Civic Lineup
Honda releases sales figures for August 2014
TLX --> Re: Black Copper Pearl
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Want Was Your First Honda You owned?
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Big Year for HondaUK in 2015! Euro CR-V
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: Ancient Nav System
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: 30.10.2014 ?
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Honda, in wake of 5th Fit recall, appoints first quality czar; Ito takes 20% pay cut
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: More TLX reviews, Edmunds (V6), Motortrend (I4)
Join Discussion......
CR-V --> Re: This dude raced his '14 CR-V on a track.
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Ford's Q3 pretax operating profit falls 54% to $1.18B
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: 2015 Honda NSX Testing again on the Nürburgring
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: Accord Euro - Axed
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Airbag recall disaster lessons!
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: Acura and GaplinAutoSport Sema 2014
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: 6-Speed Auto in 2013/14 V6
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: I was told the TLX transmission logic "learns" (new 0-60 times)
Join Discussion......
TOV First Drive: 2015 Acura TLX
Read Article....................
Photo Gallery: 2015 Acura TLX 2.4 P-AWS
Photo Gallery: 2015 Acura TLX 3.5L SH-AWD
TOV Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
PR Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
TOV Dyno Test: 2014 Accord Hybrid

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > TSX > > Re: What's the current state of TSX/K24 engine tuning?

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
Karl O.
Profile for Karl O.
What's the current state of TSX/K24 engine tuning?    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-17-2010 10:33
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Was halfway pondering some basic engine mods to juice up the old TSX a litle bit, but I haven't really followed the trends to know what people are using.

I'm not really interested in an exhaust, too loud and probably not much in the way of power gains.

Is there some magic formula of intakes + Hondata or other small stuff that juices things up a little but doesn't make too much noise and doesn't blow the engine up?

Thanks for any advice.
JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: What's the current state of TSX/K24 engine tuning?    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-17-2010 10:54
Karl O. wrote:
Was halfway pondering some basic engine mods to juice up the old TSX a litle bit, but I haven't really followed the trends to know what people are using.

I'm not really interested in an exhaust, too loud and probably not much in the way of power gains.

Is there some magic formula of intakes + Hondata or other small stuff that juices things up a little but doesn't make too much noise and doesn't blow the engine up?

Thanks for any advice.

i think the k24 has a ton of potential. It's mostly limited by your ambition. I think the biggest limitation is the camshaft in your engine. With a K20A or a K20Z camshaft and a few supporting mods (reflash, of course beign one of them) I think you can open up quite a bit of horsepower. As far as I know there are plenty of K24-powered vehicles on the roads that are laying down 300whp (or more). Obviously those are the extremes (full race intake/exhaust, expensive cams/valvetrain upgrades, etc...), but I'd think you could count on getting in the 220whp range without turning it into something that sounds like a chainsaw. '04 6MT TSXs only put down about 170whp stock, so that's a pretty solid boost.

Hopefully Shawn or somebody else could fill in some of the details for you. You might need a race header (with a high-flow cat, of course) and a custom (quiet) intake too.
Karl O.
Profile for Karl O.
Re: What's the current state of TSX/K24 engine tuning?    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-17-2010 11:23
The Hondata TSX review from '05 covered this topic, but since it's 5 years old, I thought maybe something else could have come along.
notyper
Profile for notyper
Re: What's the current state of TSX/K24 engine tuning?    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-17-2010 13:59
The state of the art these days basically involves the following:

1. Cold Air Intake
2. Race header (Skunk, Six-Sigma/DTR, etc.)
3. Cams and valve springs (IPS or Drag Cartel stg4)
4. RBC intake manifold
5. 45 deg VTC mechanism
6. Decent exhaust
7. Kpro

With these mods we're seeing well over 200 lbs-ft of torque peak and around 300 hp.

You can also get by with a Comptech Icebox intake and a stock exhaust without sacrificing more than 10-15 hp.

The real key is the race header and cams/valvetrain. Spend about $3000 on those parts and get a Kpro and you'll have a ripping setup.

On a side note we recently did a K24 (not the new 190 hp engine) from an Accord in an 07 Civic Si (salvage car, funny story). With a cold air intake and exhaust (and flashpro) it put down 210 whp and 175 lbs-ft of torque. The torque was nearly flat from 2000 to 6000 rpm. I was totally shocked, but even the intake VTEC only K24 makes some serious hp. It used to be we'd see 150 whp max from an Accord K24, and maybe 175 whp with a couple bolt ons, but the newer motors are really good. By comparison, my S2000 only put down 212 whp and 138 lbs-ft stock.

SC
Karl O.
Profile for Karl O.
Re: What's the current state of TSX/K24 engine tuning?    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-17-2010 15:26
Thanks. 300hp, that's crazy power.

I don't really have anyone local that tune a K-Pro, how well does their out-of-the-box reflash work? I was thinking maybe a reflash and the Comptech cold air box just to make things a little more interesting.

Is that a waste of time?
notyper
Profile for notyper
Re: What's the current state of TSX/K24 engine tuning?    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-17-2010 16:44
You really need the Kpro if you're going to do cams. I could send you some good base maps, but you'd really need to tune it for best power/reliability.

What area are you in? Maybe I can refer you to someone.

SC
Karl O.
Profile for Karl O.
Re: What's the current state of TSX/K24 engine tuning?    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-18-2010 15:32
I live in South Georgia, the only tuning done around here is on diesel pickups, and based on the smoke they produce I don't think the tuning is so great.

Anyway, I don't really want to dump a wad of cash into this car- it can't be worth more than $10 or $11k and spending several thousand bucks on it doesn't make sense, especially when I have the S2000 as my toy already. At 85k miles I'm in the sweet spot of Honda ownership: it's long been paid off, insurance is cheap but it's new enough that it doesn't break.

That's where I'm coming from. I'm gonna keep the car until it's 8 years old and then move on, so I was just looking for a little change to make things more interesting for a couple more years.
outersquare
Profile for outersquare
Re: What's the current state of TSX/K24 engine tuning?    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-17-2010 13:45
notyper wrote:
The state of the art these days basically involves the following:

1. Cold Air Intake
2. Race header (Skunk, Six-Sigma/DTR, etc.)
3. Cams and valve springs (IPS or Drag Cartel stg4)
4. RBC intake manifold
5. 45 deg VTC mechanism
6. Decent exhaust
7. Kpro

With these mods we're seeing well over 200 lbs-ft of torque peak and around 300 hp.

You can also get by with a Comptech Icebox intake and a stock exhaust without sacrificing more than 10-15 hp.

The real key is the race header and cams/valvetrain. Spend about $3000 on those parts and get a Kpro and you'll have a ripping setup.

On a side note we recently did a K24 (not the new 190 hp engine) from an Accord in an 07 Civic Si (salvage car, funny story). With a cold air intake and exhaust (and flashpro) it put down 210 whp and 175 lbs-ft of torque. The torque was nearly flat from 2000 to 6000 rpm. I was totally shocked, but even the intake VTEC only K24 makes some serious hp. It used to be we'd see 150 whp max from an Accord K24, and maybe 175 whp with a couple bolt ons, but the newer motors are really good. By comparison, my S2000 only put down 212 whp and 138 lbs-ft stock.

SC

Do you remember if your K24 civic SI was a K24Z2 or a K24A8?

Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2014 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
mobile: 0