[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
New footage of the NSX testing on the Nordscheife
More.......................
2016 ILX and 2015 HR-V to debut at 2014 Los Angeles Auto Show
New Acura and Honda Products Fuel Surge in September Automobile Sales
2015 CR-V goes on sale tomorrow. Full details released.
All-new Honda Civic Type R: unrivalled against the brand's iconic performance flagship models
Honda reveals 2015 CR-V
Honda adds Special Edition trim level to 2015 Civic Lineup
Honda releases sales figures for August 2014
Today's Reading Links --> Re: More TLX reviews, Edmunds (V6), Motortrend (I4)
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Ford's Q3 pretax operating profit falls 54% to $1.18B
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Want Was Your First Honda You owned?
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: Ancient Nav System
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: 2015 Honda NSX Testing again on the Nürburgring
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Big Year for HondaUK in 2015! Euro CR-V
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: 30.10.2014 ?
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: Black Copper Pearl
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: Accord Euro - Axed
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Airbag recall disaster lessons!
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: Acura and GaplinAutoSport Sema 2014
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: 6-Speed Auto in 2013/14 V6
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: I was told the TLX transmission logic "learns" (new 0-60 times)
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Honda, in wake of 5th Fit recall, appoints first quality czar; Ito takes 20% pay cut
Join Discussion......
CR-V --> Re: This dude raced his '14 CR-V on a track.
Join Discussion......
TOV First Drive: 2015 Acura TLX
Read Article....................
Photo Gallery: 2015 Acura TLX 2.4 P-AWS
Photo Gallery: 2015 Acura TLX 3.5L SH-AWD
TOV Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
PR Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
TOV Dyno Test: 2014 Accord Hybrid

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > Amateur Racing & Driving > > Re: J30A1 performance.

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
Ampd01AV6
Profile for Ampd01AV6
J30A1 performance.    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-26-2009 05:00
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Why are the 6th gen AV6's so slow? Is it the J30a1? Is it the tranny? Or is it the weight of the car? Just wondering. If anyone could answer this question thad be great. Thank you.
Grace141
Profile for Grace141
Re: J30A1 performance.    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-26-2009 13:27
Yes to all of the above, I guess. My wife's sedan never felt like it had the kind of power it was rated for. I had nothing to compare it against until I rented a Maxima (225hp?) in November 2002 and I realized the Accord was more than a bit timid in power delivery. I figured it was the transmission.

A relative's 4-cylinder Accord of the time felt rather peppy compared to the V6. It also felt lighter and less substantial, and was a lot noiser.
owequitit
Profile for owequitit
Re: J30A1 performance.    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-26-2009 16:08
Ampd01AV6 wrote:
Why are the 6th gen AV6's so slow? Is it the J30a1? Is it the tranny? Or is it the weight of the car? Just wondering. If anyone could answer this question thad be great. Thank you.

A couple of reasons.

1) It was top drawer for its class in 1998. HP has progressed significantly since then, with the average family car gaining nearly 100HP.

2) The J30A1 had a mild form of VTEC that idled one intake valve below a certain RPM and then stopped idling it about another RPM. It was not performance oriented and did not feature additional lift much as the J30A4 did. It also had a relatively low flow intake manfold, throttle body and low compression, none of which adds to HP.

3) The 4 speed transmission didn't help any, and another reason for the relatively sedate pace compared to newer cars is the proliferation of 5 and 6 speed autos, which have much less gearing compromise. Honda geared the tranny to be comfortable around town, and effective on the highway. Our 02 did better from 90+ than it did from 50-90. It was setup to be a highway cruiser.

4) Due to the refinement and smoothness, they aren't quite as slow as they feel, although they aren't what I would call fast either. They were smoother and quieter than the 4 banger which gave it the illusion of not being much faster, even though it was noticeably faster.

Having said that, some of the parts from the 2nd gen TL's engine interchange and liven the Accord up rather noticeably. It also responds well to modifications, and some people have even gone so far as to swap the 6 speed manual from some of the Accords/Acuras. Just the change to a 6MT really wakes the car up. Obviously, that is not what most people would do, but it is an option.

Ampd01AV6
Profile for Ampd01AV6
Re: J30A1 performance.    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-26-2009 19:28
owequitit wrote:
Ampd01AV6 wrote:

A couple of reasons.

1) It was top drawer for its class in 1998. HP has progressed significantly since then, with the average family car gaining nearly 100HP.

2) The J30A1 had a mild form of VTEC that idled one intake valve below a certain RPM and then stopped idling it about another RPM. It was not performance oriented and did not feature additional lift much as the J30A4 did. It also had a relatively low flow intake manfold, throttle body and low compression, none of which adds to HP.

3) The 4 speed transmission didn't help any, and another reason for the relatively sedate pace compared to newer cars is the proliferation of 5 and 6 speed autos, which have much less gearing compromise. Honda geared the tranny to be comfortable around town, and effective on the highway. Our 02 did better from 90+ than it did from 50-90. It was setup to be a highway cruiser.

4) Due to the refinement and smoothness, they aren't quite as slow as they feel, although they aren't what I would call fast either. They were smoother and quieter than the 4 banger which gave it the illusion of not being much faster, even though it was noticeably faster.

Having said that, some of the parts from the 2nd gen TL's engine interchange and liven the Accord up rather noticeably. It also responds well to modifications, and some people have even gone so far as to swap the 6 speed manual from some of the Accords/Acuras. Just the change to a 6MT really wakes the car up. Obviously, that is not what most people would do, but it is an option.

So what parts can i swop from the TL to my j30a1 to make it perform a little better, without making it a ricer?
owequitit
Profile for owequitit
Re: J30A1 performance.    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-26-2009 21:52
Ampd01AV6 wrote:
owequitit wrote:
Ampd01AV6 wrote:

So what parts can i swop from the TL to my j30a1 to make it perform a little better, without making it a ricer?

A couple of reasons.

I am pretty sure the exhaust can be bolted on, the cams can be interchanged, the intake manifold can be put on there, but I think it required a bit of work, and much of the other stuff, such as cylinder heads are interchangeable. The tranny needs some chassis work if you wanted to swap it, but it is nothing impossible.

Also, you will find that as long as you keep the appearance clean, and make changes that actually enhance performance, you will not be a "ricer." One of the main advantages of the J series is that is is pretty difficult to make the exhaust NOT sound amazing. Do a youtube search for that gen.

Also, www.V6performance.net is a good site. You can definitely get some good info on there, if you get it from the guys that have done it. Honda-tech might also have some stuff for your car on there. Since the 6th gen is getting pretty cheap these days, there is becoming more and more stuff available for it.
Ampd01AV6
Profile for Ampd01AV6
Re: J30A1 performance.    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-27-2009 02:58
Thank you for the help and advise.

Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2014 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
mobile: 0