[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
NSX prototype smolders at the 'Ring
More.......................
2016 NSX Spied at the 'Ring, Part II
Production 2016 Acura NSX caught testing at the 'Ring!
2015 CR-V MMC info, with color list. CVT confirmed
2015 TLX Pricing info released over the holiday weekend
American Honda Reports June 2014 Sales
This is probably the very first look at the 2016 Pilot. Spied by a TOV member in So Cal.
Commentary: Why are kids and pets still dying in hot cars? It's 2014 already.
General Talk --> Re: Honda Europe 2015 Engine Lineup
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Best burger in Anaheim, California???
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: Acura informational TLX Video
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: 2014 Accord Coupe 4 cylinder or V6?
Join Discussion......
RLX --> Re: What is this on the window?
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Opinions on Hellaflush
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: SE trim for 2015 Civic
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: NSX mule burns to the ground on the Ring!
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: A quick 2014 Accord review
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: 2014 Accord Coupe 4 cylinder or V6?
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Alfa Romeo 4C - 1.75L, 240hp *MR* coupe
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: "Bronzing" plastic chrome?
Join Discussion......
NSX --> Re: NSX Nurburgring Prototype caught on fire and burned
Join Discussion......
Fit (and Jazz) --> Re: One week with the Fit
Join Discussion......
CR-Z --> Re: Silly Me
Join Discussion......
TOV Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
Read Article....................
PR Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
TOV Dyno Test: 2014 Accord Hybrid
TOV Video: 2015 Acura TLX design Overview by Jared Hall
PR Photo Gallery: 2014 Acura RLX Sport Hybrid
PR Photo Gallery: 2015 Civic Type R Prototype

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > 3rd Generation TL (2004-2008 models) - Maint. & Repair > > Re: New Rotors - New Battery on '06- Goodwill Coverage

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
voyageur
Profile for voyageur
New Rotors - New Battery on '06- Goodwill Coverage    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-01-2009 11:04
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
I posted previously about seized calipers on right rear rotors
after garaging vehicle for 3 weeks when away. Service Mgr.
said I should have it moved on my next 3 week trip--I don't believe this should be issue. However in his favour there are these factors:
1.)salt and lake-effect snows here on east side of Lake Huron make serious challenges for any car's brakes.
2.)I did 1,000 kms between Oct and last week's service rqt. and I'm a light user of brakes--tend to coast (wife's RX350 was more suitable during heavier than usual snows in Dec.).
3.)I never use emergency brakes which may have worked against me in this instance.
In Oct. they had to grind front rotors flat because I complained about a pulsating at stronger braking--they were out-of-round or not exactly flat. Perhaps they left too close a tolerance in Emergency Brake Set-up. Anyways, because I tried to free wheel several times, I wore this winter tire flat so that now thumping and his reccommendation is for me to buy two new winter tires (close to $700.00). I think they should offer to split this with me. Any comments?
voyageur
Profile for voyageur
Re: New Rotors - New Battery on '06- Goodwill Coverage    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-02-2009 16:37
HOW LONG CAN YOU LEAVE CAR UNUSED WITH SALTED ROADS IN WINTER?
It seems that I should be able to take a 3 week trip and come back to a useable vehicle. But No; they tell me to have someone drive vehicle next time!
80honda
Profile for 80honda
Re: New Rotors - New Battery on '06- Goodwill Coverage    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-02-2009 16:45
If you chose to drive the car when the rear wheels were not turning and it flat spotted the cars, I don't see how or why you expect Acura to pay for your error!
80honda
Profile for 80honda
Re: New Rotors - New Battery on '06- Goodwill Coverage    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-02-2009 16:45
If you chose to drive the car when the rear wheels were not turning and it flat spotted the tires, I don't see how or why you expect Acura to pay for your error!
voyageur
Profile for voyageur
Re: New Rotors - New Battery on '06- Goodwill Coverage    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-02-2009 19:36
My letter To Honda Headquarters will ask if this is normal--having to move car if it sits for 3 weeks? Has the new set-up reduced my chances of another seizing of calipers?--I do not know but next 3 week trip I was told to get someone to drive it before I got home. That is a pain in the you know what.
My cost was partly due to trying to free calipers myself
and not appreciating fast destroying of winter tire. That is why I should have to pay 50%. But is it Acura Service or Acura Part of Acura tolerances that make this such a pain? They should have to pay the 50%
because of unique-to-them problem unless all cars do this.
Oldguy
Profile for Oldguy
Re: New Rotors - New Battery on '06- Goodwill Coverage    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-03-2009 10:14
I think that the fate of the brakes when put into storage depends largely on their condition immediately prior to going into storage. If you had cleaned them with brake cleaner to remove the salt and moisture and then stored the car in a moisture free environment, you would have been fine. If you drove into storage from a salty, slushy winter environment and simply left the car that way, you are in for trouble. The make and model of the car is irrelevant, in my opinion.
voyageur
Profile for voyageur
Re: New Rotors - New Battery on '06- Goodwill Coverage    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-09-2009 08:39
Does everyone agree with Oldguy?
I'm about to buy my first brake cleaner product because no one has disagreed. Nothing in the manual warns buyers of this rqt.
Oldguy
Profile for Oldguy
Re: New Rotors - New Battery on '06- Goodwill Coverage    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-09-2009 10:07
Buy two cans. Spray onto both sides of the rotors and into the caliper and pads. Rotate the wheel somewhat between bursts so that you get the salt and moisture out where the pads contact the rotor. I store my project car every year for the winter. I don't have the salt problem but I ensure that there is no moisture on the rotors or pads before storage. When I retrieve the car in the Spring there is no rust on the rotors and everything turns freely.
voyageur
Profile for voyageur
Re: New Rotors - New Battery on '06- Goodwill Coverage    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-09-2009 13:36
I've got a 911 turbo-1985 with only 16K mi. and I can follow procedure next Fall. Thanks.
voyageur
Profile for voyageur
Re: New Rotors - New Battery on '06- Goodwill Coverage    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-27-2009 15:20
Jennifer with Acura Plus/Honda Canada got to me today with basically
support for dealer's advice that rotors build rust that fast that I'd have to have someone drive car if I was away for 3 weeks again.
Can't understand that really.
My Lexus has no such requirements and we keep everything in same garage.
Is Acura using lower quality rotors?
Anyone else out there with a similiar experience?
I'm not trusting car that much anymore.
RyanDL
Profile for RyanDL
Re: New Rotors - New Battery on '06- Goodwill Coverage    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-27-2009 16:02
voyageur wrote:
Jennifer with Acura Plus/Honda Canada got to me today with basically
support for dealer's advice that rotors build rust that fast that I'd have to have someone drive car if I was away for 3 weeks again.
Can't understand that really.
My Lexus has no such requirements and we keep everything in same garage.
Is Acura using lower quality rotors?
Anyone else out there with a similiar experience?
I'm not trusting car that much anymore.

Sounds like Jennifer is trying to cover the proverbial ass of Acura Canada. Provided you employ the methods described in this thread, you shouldn't have a problem.

All rotors get rust on them when exposed to moisture.

Ryan
voyageur
Profile for voyageur
Re: New Rotors - New Battery on '06- Goodwill Coverage    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-27-2009 17:40
I agree I should be able to manage rust in future.
On the issue of Service, on that thread, I've indicated I might make President, Honda Canada aware how my letter to Acura Plus was handled.
I also would like him to know that the car's proness to rust between calipers & rotors does not make me trust it. I wonder about Supplier using recycled steel. I wonder about why RX350 in same garage has had no problem? Do Lexus Suppliers get scrutinized more thoroughly?
voyageur
Profile for voyageur
Re: New Rotors - New Battery on '06- Goodwill Coverage    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-19-2009 11:01
I found out both my neighbours to left and right have had exact same experience--one a Taurus; the other a Passat. I'm now curious that municipal salt trucks may have been too generous on our cul-de-sac??

Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2014 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy