[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
NSX prototype smolders at the 'Ring
More.......................
2016 NSX Spied at the 'Ring, Part II
Production 2016 Acura NSX caught testing at the 'Ring!
2015 CR-V MMC info, with color list. CVT confirmed
2015 TLX Pricing info released over the holiday weekend
American Honda Reports June 2014 Sales
This is probably the very first look at the 2016 Pilot. Spied by a TOV member in So Cal.
Commentary: Why are kids and pets still dying in hot cars? It's 2014 already.
NSX --> Re: NSX Nurburgring Prototype caught on fire and burned
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: NSX mule burns to the ground on the Ring!
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Alfa Romeo 4C - 1.75L, 240hp *MR* coupe
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Best burger in Anaheim, California???
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda Europe 2015 Engine Lineup
Join Discussion......
Fit (and Jazz) --> Re: One week with the Fit
Join Discussion......
Accord --> A quick 2014 Accord review
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: Acura informational TLX Video
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: SE trim for 2015 Civic
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Opinions on Hellaflush
Join Discussion......
RLX --> Re: What is this on the window?
Join Discussion......
CR-Z --> Re: Silly Me
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: "Bronzing" plastic chrome?
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: Civic HF review
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: 2015 Lexus NX
Join Discussion......
TOV Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
Read Article....................
PR Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
TOV Dyno Test: 2014 Accord Hybrid
TOV Video: 2015 Acura TLX design Overview by Jared Hall
PR Photo Gallery: 2014 Acura RLX Sport Hybrid
PR Photo Gallery: 2015 Civic Type R Prototype

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
  TOV News > All-New Acura ZDX Debuts at New York International Auto Show > > Re: I LIKE it

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1] 2
Author

jbkingjr
Profile for jbkingjr
I LIKE it [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-08-2009 11:22
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
A glass roof AND hatch? Leather stitched interior? Taking the time to add storage here and there? 6 speed trans! I like the design too.

I'm not big on SUV's, but I'd consider this. Its the only acura that evokes (a positive) emotion to me. Its not too high. Its stylish. It has amenities. I'm thoroughly pleased. Design your cars better, add some driving enjoyment, a little luxury things here and there like this, and I'm sold.

No specs on the power, but I'm sure it'll be around 300hp. 300hp with a new 6 speed should be plenty. Is it a sports coupe? No. Doesn't mean it isn't fun to drive (hey, if they get a pass for using it on hybrids, don't tell me it can't be applied to a coupish-4 door that rides a little higher).
80honda
Profile for 80honda
Re: I LIKE it [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-08-2009 11:39
I'm loving it. Finally a vehicle with some styling, and some functionality.

Varmint
Profile for Varmint
Re: I LIKE it [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-08-2009 11:42
Since we started seeing spy pics and reading rumors, I figured the success of this vehicle depends primarily on two things: style and power.

They got the style right. The pics look gorgeous and pics usually don't look as good as the real deal. This vehicle will generate some showroom traffic and help move the MDXs and TLs.

I figure 300-315 hp is enough power for the volume model. I'd prefer to see a V8 or turbo option for the press and spec racers of the world. That engine wouldn't sell, but it would attract attention.
solphoenix
Profile for solphoenix
Re: I LIKE it [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-08-2009 11:47
I like it too - a LOT. Thank god for the 6AT, which should help mileage and smooth out the power delivery. And the styling and utility make it a very smart vehicle. Looks like they took the Venza playbook and improved upon it. Nice job Acura.
RyanDL
Profile for RyanDL
Re: I LIKE it [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-08-2009 11:59
If it is to be priced above the MDX, would you still consider it?

Ryan
jbkingjr
Profile for jbkingjr
Re: I LIKE it [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-08-2009 12:08
RyanDL wrote:
If it is to be priced above the MDX, would you still consider it?

Ryan

Depends how much more. I'll have to see what the final feature set is, but I can already understand why its more expensive. Its supposedly longer than the MDX too, so I don't see it losing too much in the way of utility.
s2ktaxi
Profile for s2ktaxi
Re: I LIKE it [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-08-2009 12:30
I like it and would consider it but only if it is in the price range of the TL.
TSX69
Profile for TSX69
Re: I LIKE it [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-08-2009 12:33
According to acura.com:

300-HP, 3.7-LITER VTEC V-6 ENGINE
AE92
Profile for AE92
s2ktaxi wrote:

Put me in as liking this direction as well. Can't wait to see it in person.
Varmint
Profile for Varmint
s2ktaxi wrote:

I feel the same way about Lamborghinis.
bluefz22
Profile for bluefz22
Re: I LIKE it [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-08-2009 12:43
Great car and I'll buy one............when they call it a CRV or an Accord and price it at $25,000.
98EX4cyl
Profile for 98EX4cyl
Re: I LIKE it [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-08-2009 12:46
bluefz22 wrote:
Great car and I'll buy one............when they call it a CRV or an Accord and price it at $25,000.

Now where is the Accord CUV? While it won't have the leather trimmed dash and ventilated seats, it will have more room (except width), cargo space and cost 15K less.
80honda
Profile for 80honda
Re: I LIKE it [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-08-2009 12:52
Love the cargo space.
http://www.leftlanenews.com/cars/image_popup/newgallery.php?postid=16572&defimage=http%3A%2F%2Fphotos.leftlanenews.com%2Fphotos%2Fimageresizeronfly%2FphpThumb.php%3Fsrc%3D%2Fphotos%2Fcontent%2Ffebruary2009%2Facura-zdx-proto-17.jpg
Varmint
Profile for Varmint
Re: I LIKE it [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-08-2009 12:59
bluefz22 wrote:

How about if we call these 'CR-V' and 'Accord' and price THEM around $25K? Would that work for you?

R-Z
Profile for R-Z
Re: I LIKE it [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-08-2009 13:03
98EX4cyl wrote:
bluefz22 wrote:

Now where is the Accord CUV? While it won't have the leather trimmed dash and ventilated seats, it will have more room (except width), cargo space and cost 15K less.

I think this may have something to do with the Accord CUV. I think...

http://automobiles.honda.com/future-cars/
dho
Profile for dho
Re: I LIKE it [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-08-2009 13:04
I love Acuras and i actually like the new TSX, MDX and TL. But I do not like the look of this car one bit. I was really excited by the teaser photos but the real thing (at least in pictures) to me is bland. Maybe it's the color and maybe it's those concept headlamps. Hopefully the production version looks better. I'll go see the prototype in NY next week. But I'm disappointed.

And, not to sound ultra critical here, but Six speed automatic ?? If they want to wow the world and be tier 1, why don't go seven, eight speed ? The five speed auto has been out for nearly 10 years now (I have a 2001 CL with a 5 speed auto) and all they can come up with is 1 extra gear in 10 years time ?
I'm sure there's all kinds of reasoning behind it but if they really want to step up to the plate, then you gotta come up with something better than what Ford already has for a few years.
And this is coming from someone who has been defending Acura for not having a V8, RWD platform. For whatever its worth, Mitsubishi has one of those dual clutch manual/auto transmission.

If i were developing a NEW transmission, I'd at least match what others are doing. Six speed is just behind the curve when everyone else in the same market has 7,8 speeds and some even have the option of the dual cluth type trans.

jbkingjr
Profile for jbkingjr
Re: I LIKE it [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-08-2009 14:17
dho wrote:
I love Acuras and i actually like the new TSX, MDX and TL. But I do not like the look of this car one bit. I was really excited by the teaser photos but the real thing (at least in pictures) to me is bland. Maybe it's the color and maybe it's those concept headlamps. Hopefully the production version looks better. I'll go see the prototype in NY next week. But I'm disappointed.

And, not to sound ultra critical here, but Six speed automatic ?? If they want to wow the world and be tier 1, why don't go seven, eight speed ? The five speed auto has been out for nearly 10 years now (I have a 2001 CL with a 5 speed auto) and all they can come up with is 1 extra gear in 10 years time ?
I'm sure there's all kinds of reasoning behind it but if they really want to step up to the plate, then you gotta come up with something better than what Ford already has for a few years.
And this is coming from someone who has been defending Acura for not having a V8, RWD platform. For whatever its worth, Mitsubishi has one of those dual clutch manual/auto transmission.

If i were developing a NEW transmission, I'd at least match what others are doing. Six speed is just behind the curve when everyone else in the same market has 7,8 speeds and some even have the option of the dual cluth type trans.

Ding ding ding! We have a winner guys! I can't believe you nailed it almost word for word.

I'll give you the dual clutch set up... maybe. Its better than an auto with a torque converter (in theory and from what I've heard--I've never driven one myself). From what I hear its a REALLY expensive system though. I don't think its necessary in a vehicle that despite its "sporting" pretensions isn't really meant to be on a track.

Complaining about 7 and 8 gears though? As others have said, not even formula 1 cars have 8 gears. There is a point of diminishing returns. I'm sure Honda would have taken a higher number of gears into consideration. After all, if you're only going to make one new transmission, why go for the bare minimum when you can go for the maximum and ride it out for longer?