[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
Video: TOV member catches a TLX prototype on dashcam!
More.......................
All New 2015 Honda Fit Designed to Top the Subcompact Class
Honda set to show interesting new Concept at Beijing International Automotive Exhibition
'HR-V' name confirmed for upcoming Fit-based 'urban sport utility'
American Honda Announces Sales Results for March 2014
Latest Best Car suggests up to 360hp for new Civic Type R, more info
Acura TLX GT Race Car To Debut At Detroit Grand Prix
2015 Acura TLX to Debut at the 2014 New York International Auto Show
Today's Reading Links --> Re: TLX details
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: 2016 Acura TLX Type-S and Coupe
Join Discussion......
Amateur Racing & Driving --> Recommend a helmet cam
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2014 Chinese Grand Prix
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Push button start SUCKS
Join Discussion......
HondaMobilia --> Re: Your Hondamobilia Collection
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Any information on the 2015 CR-V?
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: MK7 Golf Wagon
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Notes on LBGP
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Acura news: 2015 TLX Specs & Model Structure, 2016 RDX, 2016 ILX, AWD Avalible on all models by 201
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: 2015 Kia Sedona
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Mr. Honda Speaks
Join Discussion......
Fit (and Jazz) --> Re: Has anyone seen any 2015 Fits at US dealerships yet?
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Carscoop: Honda to Detail, But Won't Show New Compact SUV Based on JDM Vezel in New York
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Nissan is taking Honda to War!
Join Discussion......
TOV Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
Read Article....................
PR Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
TOV Dyno Test: 2014 Accord Hybrid
TOV Video: 2015 Acura TLX design Overview by Jared Hall
PR Photo Gallery: 2014 Acura RLX Sport Hybrid
PR Photo Gallery: 2015 Civic Type R Prototype

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > Accord > > Re: 08 Accord Coupe V6 - Oil Consumption -Help

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
Rbbrick
Profile for Rbbrick
08 Accord Coupe V6 - Oil Consumption -Help    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-25-2008 23:21
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Oil Consumption -Help
I have a cool Nighthawk Black Coupe, that's all that is good.
The engine oil consumption is way out of line, Honda wont even look at it until it burns a quart per thousand, NICE HUH!
I have 19000 miles on it, the last consumption test revealed 1 quart of full synth used by 1852 miles. Early consumption was a quart at about 2500 miles but has never stayed at the full mark since NEW.
Any and all posts would be appreciated. Have a good day. BTW I have escalated to Honda Regional Service Rep no luck there so I will be calling Honda Customer Compliants tomorrow.
Trip
Profile for Trip
Re: 08 Accord Coupe V6 - Oil Consumption -Help    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-26-2008 08:39
FWIW My 08 V6 6MT doesn't burn a drop of oil between 5,000 mile changes.

How did you break it in? Were you easy on the throttle for the first 5,000 miles? What's your driving style? Do you rev it often?

Honda engines are not exempt from burning oil but its not uncommon tho your example is on the high side.
RyanDL
Profile for RyanDL
Re: 08 Accord Coupe V6 - Oil Consumption -Help    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-26-2008 10:03
I believe 1 qt per 1K miles is the maximum range of tolerance. If it's not burning more than that, I don't think you have a case.

A couple of things that might help you out:
-Do you often take short trips? This increases consumption.
-I see you're using a full synthetic oil. I would suggest switching to a synthetic blend (partial synthetic) or even conventional oil to see if that makes a change. Many people have tried this and noticed a significant reduction in consumption, though it varies case-by-case.

HTH,
Ryan
Mechanic
Profile for Mechanic
Re: 08 Accord Coupe V6 - Oil Consumption -Help    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-26-2008 10:17
Rbbrick, it's a slow day, so I'll add a thought or two for whatever it may add to the mix.

First, the obvious: All engines consume motor oil. The rate of oil consumption is a function of how you drive your car, the oil you use (weight and product), and your car's mechanical state. In other words, there are a lot of variables involved. The more you lean on the throttle, the greater will be your oil consumption. Lighter weight oils (5w-20), which Honda recommends, are inherently more volitile. You may actually have some mechanical issues too, but frankly the odds of that are remote.

Your consumption level doesn't seem excessive to me. Porsche, for example, advises its customers that a quart per 600 miles is normal. Those who say (swear) their engines do not consume oil typically do not take into account the everyday condensation that occurs with short trips, light throttle applications and/or low RPM. That condensation, combined with small amounts of unburned fuel, raises the level of the oil in the sump over time, and gives the impression that little or no oil is being consumed. The first time the owner drives any appreciable distance at higher speeds, the condensation is burned off, and s/he thinks there must be something wrong with the engine because the oil level has dropped enough to be noticeable.

Changing from a 5w-20 weight oil to 5w-30 will reduce your normal consumption somewhat, if it really bothers you. Also, some brands and weight oils (Castrol conventional 5w-30, for example) are much less volitile than Mobil 1's 5w-20.

HONDA AFVM
Profile for HONDA AFVM
Re: 08 Accord Coupe V6 - Oil Consumption -Help Few Q's 4 u Rbbrick??    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-26-2008 16:45
Mechanic wrote:
Rbbrick, it's a slow day, so I'll add a thought or two for whatever it may add to the mix.

First, the obvious: All engines consume motor oil. The rate of oil consumption is a function of how you drive your car, the oil you use (weight and product), and your car's mechanical state. In other words, there are a lot of variables involved. The more you lean on the throttle, the greater will be your oil consumption. Lighter weight oils (5w-20), which Honda recommends, are inherently more volitile. You may actually have some mechanical issues too, but frankly the odds of that are remote.

Your consumption level doesn't seem excessive to me. Porsche, for example, advises its customers that a quart per 600 miles is normal. Those who say (swear) their engines do not consume oil typically do not take into account the everyday condensation that occurs with short trips, light throttle applications and/or low RPM. That condensation, combined with small amounts of unburned fuel, raises the level of the oil in the sump over time, and gives the impression that little or no oil is being consumed. The first time the owner drives any appreciable distance at higher speeds, the condensation is burned off, and s/he thinks there must be something wrong with the engine because the oil level has dropped enough to be noticeable.

Changing from a 5w-20 weight oil to 5w-30 will reduce your normal consumption somewhat, if it really bothers you. Also, some brands and weight oils (Castrol conventional 5w-30, for example) are much less volitile than Mobil 1's 5w-20.

Very good information you supplied to him Mechanic.

I would like to add too;

*Rbbrick, did you drain the factory oil from the car the day you picked it up? Be honest.....I had a customer do the same because his buddy said to do it because his BMW came from the factory with Syn. oil. He was using a Qt of oil every 1,500 or so miles. I told him to go to a blend 5W 30 Castrol and it went away for the most part. Nothing is more important then leaving that factory oil in the car till the MM reads 15%.

*Are you running it to red line, shifting it as if it's a manual, letting it idle a lot, starting it when it's cold and taking right off as if it has been running for an hour?

Be honest, The above are all valid reasons a Honda V6 will use oil. Remember these cares are built by humans with over 15,000 moving parts, being driven hard, using the wrong oil and not following the MM or owners manual are all reasons too that will allow your V6 to use oil. I am not accusing you, but it is not a usual in a Honda V6 to use Oil.

Bosplya
Profile for Bosplya
Re: 08 Accord Coupe V6 - Oil Consumption -Help    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-06-2009 15:09
You're not the only one.

I bought my 08 Sedan V6 new. At 7k miles the oil light came on. The oil percentage still read 30%. Honda engineers decided to remove the cylinder heads and machine them. They added new valve seals and sent me on my way. At 3k miles after the repair, the oil level went from full to minimum on the dipstick. They added 3qts of oil and asked me to assist with an oil consumption test for the next 2k miles. At 2k miles I had burnt 1/2 a quart of oil and the level on the dipstick went from full to half in the shaded area. They haven't closed my case but they are saying the car is within spec. Honda customer service told me the car is within spec if it burns a quart of oil every 2k miles. If we do the math, by the time I get to 10k miles for my next oil change, the car would have used all 5 quarts. So my question is, how am I supposed to get to 10k if by then I'll have no oil?

Since the oil consumption test, we've let it be. I'm at 4k miles and I'm almost at the minimum level of oil again. Should I disregard the recommendations from Honda and just change my oil every 3-5k miles instead of their quoted 10k?

I'm working with Honda customer service on having them buy the car back. However, they want to wait and see if the oil level drops again. This was their decision when we concluded the oil consumption test. Buying the car back is not on the table yet but they might consider it.

Frank
Grace141
Profile for Grace141
Re: 08 Accord Coupe V6 - Oil Consumption -Help    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-07-2009 00:14
Yep, I'd say Mechanic's comments match what I've learned over the years. One oddity that I've noticed since I service our cars myself is the oil I drain from my CRV is usually about 1/4 quart less than the normal 4 1/2 quart fill at the 3k mile interval I change it whereas the drain oil from my wife's Accord is always spot on 4 1/2 quarts. Perhaps her V6 Accord sees more ring blow-by than my CRV because of the additional cylinders or higher compression? Maybe I'm more of a hot-dog driver. Both maybe.

I never use more than about 2/3rds throttle, even on freeway entrance ramps. Every car will consume oil when pressed hard especially with the higher compression engines in modern cars. It supposedly doesn't hurt anything but it can't be good for the O2 sensors. Plus, older Hondas seem to start showing blue smoke when the throttle is closed at about the same time the rust pops thru the back fenders.

One of the older guys I work with had a Chevy Vega in the 1970s that burned a case of oil every 3k miles. Rbbrick, it could be a lot worse. An obvious question is have you verified your car is burning the oil and not leaking it away?
Rbbrick
Profile for Rbbrick
Re: 08 Accord Coupe V6 - Oil Consumption -Help    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-09-2009 14:55
Hello Frank
Did you get my message re: your dealers name and city?
I would like to forward the details to Honda here in San Jose, CA
thanks
Roger
Bosplya
Profile for Bosplya
Re: 08 Accord Coupe V6 - Oil Consumption -Help    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-12-2009 17:46
Rbbrick,

I'm working with Stevens Creek Honda in San Jose. email me: fchavez28@sbcglobal.net
typer_801
Profile for typer_801
Re: 08 Accord Coupe V6 - Oil Consumption -Help    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-13-2009 09:07
What oil are you using? Let me guess...Mobil 1. If so, my first recommendation would be to change oils. Historically lots of complaints from folks using Mobil 1. Many a Type R owner swear their oil consumption was related to or caused by Mobil 1. The very nature of synthetics cause them to burn more, but Mobil 1 in particular seems to have excessive blow-by on some Honda motors.

Rbbrick wrote:
Oil Consumption -Help
The engine oil consumption is way out of line, Honda wont even look at it until it burns a quart per thousand, NICE HUH!
I have 19000 miles on it, the last consumption test revealed 1 quart of full synth used by 1852 miles. Early consumption was a quart at about 2500 miles but has never stayed at the full mark since NEW.
Any and all posts would be appreciated. Have a good day. BTW I have escalated to Honda Regional Service Rep no luck there so I will be calling Honda Customer Compliants tomorrow.

Wackyworld
Profile for Wackyworld
Re: 08 Accord Coupe V6 - Oil Consumption -Help    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-04-2010 18:07
I am having the same issue. I have heard from a reliable source that the root of the issue has something to do with oil galley leakage. The cure is to replace the cylinder head and since they are a matched set you must replace both of them. From what I understand you need to have them check the oil before each oil change and record how much oil you have to add. I assume they are thinking that most people will change their oil at 3K miles and never notice the difference. I a going to wait, I have a 120K warranty, until it is almost time for a timing belt and have them throw the timing belt in at the same time, saving me some labor cost. I am going to check and add oil regularly. I do use Mobil 1, perhaps there is something to that post reffering to that but I have a 99 V6 with 101K and I never have to add oil. I change the oil every 6 months regardless of mileage. I have had about a dozen hondas over 30 years and never had to add oil between changes.
timp64
Profile for timp64
Re: 08 Accord Coupe V6 - Oil Consumption -Help    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-06-2010 21:22
I was using Mobil 1 in my 2003 accord. I ended up with leaks in 2 places, and a vtec solenoid that went out due to low oil level. I had an extended warranty and they covered both repairs. Now that I'm at higher mileage and my car isn't worth as much it's getting regular oil. I haven't checked the oil lately but I got it changed with the service at the dealer with 108k miles so I can't check. Also I'm not putting near the miles on the car anymore since I use a different vehicle for work so it would take me a while to keep track. But I would guess that the regular oil will may help the problem, at least if I was in the position above I'd go with regular to see if it helped. Keep in mind, when you get to the mileage that you're using the synthetic to get your car to that the car wont be worth much, I see this in retrospect now. Anyway, just my two cents.
Blue_Sky_surfer
Profile for Blue_Sky_surfer
Re: 08 Accord Coupe V6 - Oil Consumption -Help    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-08-2010 18:28
Mechanic wrote:
Those who say (swear) their engines do not consume oil typically do not take into account the everyday condensation that occurs with short trips, light throttle applications and/or low RPM. That condensation, combined with small amounts of unburned fuel, raises the level of the oil in the sump over time, and gives the impression that little or no oil is being consumed. The first time the owner drives any appreciable distance at higher speeds, the condensation is burned off, and s/he thinks there must be something wrong with the engine because the oil level has dropped enough to be noticeable.

I think the modern engines have greatly improved on condensation/unburn fuel past thru the piston ring, am I wrong?

Long time ago my first Honda which I used frequently for short trips didn't seem to have any problem with oil consumption or condensation, even after I drove it 500 miles to the NAIAS.
rezjam
Profile for rezjam
Re: 08 Accord Coupe V6 - Oil Consumption -Help    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-05-2010 23:11
I have the same issue with oil consumption in my car( 08 accord v6 vcm motor) I belive that it's a problem with the vcm valve tech. Those of you on this thread with this oil consuption issue are owners of an 08-9 at v6 accord equiped with the vcm lmk...
2008VTEC
Profile for 2008VTEC
Re: 08 Accord Coupe V6 - Oil Consumption -Help    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-18-2010 14:55
Hey rezjam, Did Honda ever fix your problem? I have the same issue with my Accord. Mine burned through 3 quarts of oil at the last oil change. The problem seems to be getting worse and my catalytic converter already had to be replaced along with 3 spark plugs. All Honda says is they are working on a software update. I got a second opinion and he basically told me it has to do with the VCM and this software update that Honda keeps promising won't fix the problem! Just wondering what you did or if you got rid of yours???
Sasker
Profile for Sasker
Re: 08 Accord Coupe V6 - Oil Consumption -Help    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-18-2010 19:15
This must be something new with Honda engines. My GS-R and 1st Gen TSX didn't/don't consume any appreciable amount of oil, even after driving them for more than 1,200 km on hot summer days a few times per year, driving them over short distances in -40C temperatures nearly all winter, and red lining them regularly. I would be very disappointed if my Honda engine started burning oil like what the OP is reporting.

JS_vtec
Profile for JS_vtec
Re: 08 Accord Coupe V6 - Oil Consumption -Help    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-19-2010 09:06
My AP2 S2000 F22C used to consume a quart between oil changes. (10 000 km)

Switched to Amsoil 10W30, which is one of the most stable and least volatile engine oil available on the market.

My consumption went from minimal, to none. The change is obvious and impressive.

I know the F22C is in its own class regarding oil consumption, for a Honda, but switching to Amsoil could really make a change in your case.
98EX4cyl
Profile for 98EX4cyl
Re: 08 Accord Coupe V6 - Oil Consumption -Help    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-19-2010 09:33
I have a 2008 Accord V6 VCM with 36000 miles on it and have had not noted any oil usage between oil changes. Just had 4th oil change following MMI, I take it down to 5-15% oil life and get it serviced at the dealer (Honda oil). The Accord is used mostly for commuting 30miles each way in moderate traffic(sometimes 70mph, sometimes stop-n-go). I average 22.5 mpg.
2008VTEC
Profile for 2008VTEC
Re: 08 Accord Coupe V6 - Oil Consumption -Help    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-24-2010 10:42
Yea I didn't start having problems until I was at 37000 miles. That's when all hell broke loose. The car barely made it to the dealer.That's when they found oil in the combustion chamber and fouled out spark plugs. It's gotta be the VCM motor, check out carcomplaints.com! I hope Honda does something for me soon!!! But I have a feeling they won't. It's burning through at least 2 1/2-3 quarts every 5k.
98EX4cyl
Profile for 98EX4cyl
Re: 08 Accord Coupe V6 - Oil Consumption -Help    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-24-2010 12:42
typer_801 wrote:
What oil are you using? Let me guess...Mobil 1. If so, my first recommendation would be to change oils. Historically lots of complaints from folks using Mobil 1. Many a Type R owner swear their oil consumption was related to or caused by Mobil 1. The very nature of synthetics cause them to burn more, but Mobil 1 in particular seems to have excessive blow-by on some Honda motors.

Rbbrick wrote:
Oil Consumption -Help

I was told by a dealer that Honda oil (at dealerships) is essentially Mobil1 - it is made for them by Mobil.

I just had an oil change I will look more closely at my oil between changes to see if any is being used.

Wonder if the the non-VCM versions of the 3.5L (TSX / TL) have complaints?

Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2014 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy